Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Disappointment with new Sears 8hp snowblower experience?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
domino

Disappointment with new Sears 8hp snowblower experience?
Original Message   Dec 23, 2004 12:59 pm
I'm in SE Michigan, we just got like 8-10 inches. I bought a brand new Sears 8hp 27" model thanks to the advice here. I just went out to snowblow for the first time and had a terrible experience. Here are my random thoughts. Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated.

1. Upon unpacking the snowblower there was oil all over the thing. Is this normal for a new machine? It was a mess with oil everywhere. I checked the level and it seemed ok, but I had to wonder if they didn't obey the "this side up" when delivering.
2. One of my skid-plate shoes was bolted on so unbelieveably tight that they would NOT loosen. I had a perfect fit on the bolt, used all my might in a 250 lb body to get these stupid bolts loose, it would not budge. Now they bolts are stripped (literally the bolt schredded rather than turning)! I had to hammer the thing down to get it closer to the ground and I will never get that stupid bolt loose.
3. Started snowblowing for the first time, only about 60% of it goes where I want it to. Maybe it is windy today but this was just a terrible experience. It blows it right back up in the air and into your face, and all over the area just plowed!
4. After blowing, I still have 1-2" on my driveway, if I'm going to have to shovel anyway, I might as well return the dang thing!
5. This thing takes a ton of effort to manuvuer. Making 180 degree turns is like moving a tank. On a 26' wide driveway this is a major pain! Isn't there a way to release the self-propelled lock mechanism temporarily without having to unhook the wheel?
6. The chute coming out is made out of cheap plastic and I had to adjust it several times. Many times there was snow coming out between where the tilt mechanism at the top meets the chute. Isn't there a way to seal it?
7. Is there some recommended clothes to get for snowblowing? I can't believe how coated in snow I got.
8. Is there a recommended strategy that works best for taking on a 26' wide driveway?

I think a lot of these are related to just snowblowing in general and not specifically the model I got. Any advice? After this experience I'm thinking about just returning it and having someone plow my driveway for $100 a year instead.

This is the model I have:

Sears Craftsman

edited to make link work

This message was modified Dec 23, 2004 by a moderator
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42