Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Disappointment with new Sears 8hp snowblower experience?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
domino

Disappointment with new Sears 8hp snowblower experience?
Original Message   Dec 23, 2004 12:59 pm
I'm in SE Michigan, we just got like 8-10 inches. I bought a brand new Sears 8hp 27" model thanks to the advice here. I just went out to snowblow for the first time and had a terrible experience. Here are my random thoughts. Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated.

1. Upon unpacking the snowblower there was oil all over the thing. Is this normal for a new machine? It was a mess with oil everywhere. I checked the level and it seemed ok, but I had to wonder if they didn't obey the "this side up" when delivering.
2. One of my skid-plate shoes was bolted on so unbelieveably tight that they would NOT loosen. I had a perfect fit on the bolt, used all my might in a 250 lb body to get these stupid bolts loose, it would not budge. Now they bolts are stripped (literally the bolt schredded rather than turning)! I had to hammer the thing down to get it closer to the ground and I will never get that stupid bolt loose.
3. Started snowblowing for the first time, only about 60% of it goes where I want it to. Maybe it is windy today but this was just a terrible experience. It blows it right back up in the air and into your face, and all over the area just plowed!
4. After blowing, I still have 1-2" on my driveway, if I'm going to have to shovel anyway, I might as well return the dang thing!
5. This thing takes a ton of effort to manuvuer. Making 180 degree turns is like moving a tank. On a 26' wide driveway this is a major pain! Isn't there a way to release the self-propelled lock mechanism temporarily without having to unhook the wheel?
6. The chute coming out is made out of cheap plastic and I had to adjust it several times. Many times there was snow coming out between where the tilt mechanism at the top meets the chute. Isn't there a way to seal it?
7. Is there some recommended clothes to get for snowblowing? I can't believe how coated in snow I got.
8. Is there a recommended strategy that works best for taking on a 26' wide driveway?

I think a lot of these are related to just snowblowing in general and not specifically the model I got. Any advice? After this experience I'm thinking about just returning it and having someone plow my driveway for $100 a year instead.

This is the model I have:

Sears Craftsman

edited to make link work

This message was modified Dec 23, 2004 by a moderator
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Re: Disappointment with new Sears 8hp snowblower experience?
Reply #1   Dec 23, 2004 1:23 pm
Dear Domino,

I am sorry you had such a bad experience with your new snowblower. Buying a new piece of outdoor power equipment
should be an exciting experience.
There are some here who like their craftsman snowblowers.....they maintain them well and feel they get the most bang for your buck
with them.
This much I do know. I talked to a friend that works at sears yesterday, and he did tell me that they are getting "more then a few" snowblowers back
because of the plastic chutes breaking. This is not my critisism.......those where his words.

I enjoy snowblowing because I do not like being at the mercy of whenever the plowguy could get to me. If we are getting a snowfall and I have guest coming over, I like to
clear the driveway just before they come. I also like to do my walks, etc with it. There are times I need to "blow out" the driveway 3 or 4 times a day. that is not going to happen with a plowguy.

I set my skidshoes 1/8 inches above the driveway.....when I snowblow, I see pavement.

There are some models that have traction control..you pay more for them, but it is a joy to use. My 330 pound 13 hp Ariens turns on a dime with one finger. Amazing.
If you are really unhappy with your blower now, it is doubtful you will be happier with it later. I suggest you perhaps consider returning it and buy one with the features you really want.
You may spend more, but you should have it for many years...so spreading the cost out by year makes the difference between an entry level model and a higher end model only a few dollars per year. A small price to pay for a smile every day you use it.

As to clothes to wear, on a windy day, try to blow to where the wind in blowing so you do not get "blowback". I wear either a snowmobile suit or heavy coveralls, and a ski mask, and sometimes even ski goggles.

Perhaps you may want to go visit a few dealers, try out the controls, feel, etc, and compare the workmanship of some different models. A lot has to do with what "snow thinking" you have. I know guys who could not care less about snow removal."God put it there and God will melt it in the Spring"..they get a plowguy every so often and think I'm a nut for spending over a grand to blow snow.

Me, I paid for a nice paved driveway, and I want to see it everyday.

Good luck on what you do..we are here to help, let us know what we can do. we are pretty good with mowers too. Welcome to the forum and keep us posted.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #2   Dec 23, 2004 1:31 pm
Cabelas How warm do you want?
This message was modified Dec 23, 2004 by Marshall
whyme

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow.....

Reply #3   Dec 23, 2004 1:31 pm
Domino,

When I have to blow into the wind, I try not to blow the snow high. Angle the chute downward to blow horizontally or down in order to avoid snow blowing back into your face.

In regards to what to wear, I normally wear a few layers to keep warm with some breathable rain gear as the final layer to keep dry. Gloves, hat & some eye protection. I would recommended the eye protection if you're not wearing a ski mask. IMO, you'll never know what flys out the machine & things will never always go in the direction you're aiming.....

This message was modified Dec 23, 2004 by whyme

GeorgeC

Ariens 1128LE and various other grown-up toys....

whyme

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow.....

Reply #4   Dec 23, 2004 1:47 pm
Marshall,

Nice gear, I could have use that in my pre-Ariens days when I had to be out there for 2 hours plus with a shovel for anything over 12", but with the Ariens, I'm only out there 45 minuts tops. Looks like the effort to put this on would be more than it's worth unless it's sub-zero weather or sub-zero wind chills.

GeorgeC

Ariens 1128LE and various other grown-up toys....

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #5   Dec 23, 2004 1:48 pm
Hi…

“1. Upon unpacking the snowblower there was oil all over the thing. Is this normal for a new machine? It was a mess with oil everywhere. I checked the level and it seemed ok, but I had to wonder if they didn't obey the "this side up" when delivering.”

Hmmm… maybe it’s not engine oil…? ..but that oily stuff that prevents metal from rusting? I wouldn’t expect this on a snowblower though…

“2. One of my skid-plate shoes was bolted on so unbelieveably tight that they would NOT loosen. I had a perfect fit on the bolt, used all my might in a 250 lb body to get these stupid bolts loose, it would not budge. Now they bolts are stripped (literally the bolt schredded rather than turning)! I had to hammer the thing down to get it closer to the ground and I will never get that stupid bolt loose.”

Time for new bolts/nuts… maybe put some “Anti-sieze” compund on the threads for EZ removal…

“3. Started snowblowing for the first time, only about 60% of it goes where I want it to. Maybe it is windy today but this was just a terrible experience. It blows it right back up in the air and into your face, and all over the area just plowed!”

Gotta’ try to work with the wind… or direct the snow so it’s not creating a plume high up…

“4. After blowing, I still have 1-2" on my driveway, if I'm going to have to shovel anyway, I might as well return the dang thing!”

Maybe give it another try first…

“5. This thing takes a ton of effort to manuvuer. Making 180 degree turns is like moving a tank. On a 26' wide driveway this is a major pain! Isn't there a way to release the self-propelled lock mechanism temporarily without having to unhook the wheel?”

I dunno’ about this blower… but I doubt it… try it with 1-wheel drive if it has that option…

“6. The chute coming out is made out of cheap plastic and I had to adjust it several times. Many times there was snow coming out between where the tilt mechanism at the top meets the chute. Isn't there a way to seal it?”

Doubt it… part of the design…

“7. Is there some recommended clothes to get for snowblowing? I can't believe how coated in snow I got.”

I use different clothing depending on conditions… if it’s cold and windy when using a blower… I wear a 1-piece coverall I got at Kmart… a face mask… gloves with glove liners… neck protection(scarf)… hat… so only my eyes are exposed… usually do not use goggles... my sons somestimes use a full-face snowmobile or motocross helmet…
Sometime ya' just get blasted and look like a snowman...

“8. Is there a recommended strategy that works best for taking on a 26' wide driveway?”

Start down the center blowing off to the side… then keep widening each pass… blow snow with the wind when possible…

“I think a lot of these are related to just snowblowing in general and not specifically the model I got. Any advice? After this experience I'm thinking about just returning it and having someone plow my driveway for $100 a year instead.”

There are better/worse brands/models… kinda’ get what you pay for…
Around here plowing costs at least $30 each snow event… and when THEY wanna’ show up…
Hope the next time it goes better for you !

Dave…

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Reply #6   Dec 23, 2004 11:00 pm
domino, Sorry your first time out was so unpleasant. It does sound like the crate was not always upright - causing the oil to leak - but it's strange you found the oil level is OK. I'd double check that. Assuming you're turning it the right way it sound like some gorilla at the factor cross-threaded the bolt but socked it down anyway with his air wrench. Sears should fix or replace at your home to make you happy.

As other have said for smooth pavement the skid and scraper should be adjusted so that the scraper is 1/8 to 1/4 inches about the ground. Find a nice flat area to do this and (important) make sure your tires are inflated properly first. No way it should leave 1-2" unless it's blowing back in behind you.

One wheel drive will make you machine easier to turn but you will lose half the traction and it will be harder to keep it going straight. I leave two wheels engaged all the time. Dry pavement is tough but I don't have a big problem turning on snow. Are you pushing down to lift the front of the machine when you turn?

Usually I like to start in the middle and work outwards blowing away from the area already done. However, If the wind's blowing across my drive I'll start upwind and work my way downwind blowing downwind all the time. Nevertheless if there's a swirling wind and powdery snow you will get snowed on no matter what you do.

I wonder if you are adjusting the deflector too low. For best performance I avoid going much lower than 45 degrees. Keep in mind that the snow comes off the impeller almost straight up and will increasingly lose velocity the more you deflect it. That being said my chute has an inner flap to prevent snow from coming out the joint. Hopefully with the bolt fixed, scraper set right, and a little better technique you'll be in good shape for the next snow. -Bob

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42