Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Unexplained shutdowns

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Wheels

Unexplained shutdowns
Original Message   Mar 1, 2005 6:24 pm
My new (this season) Ariens 8526 works well and I love it.  But (you knew there was a 'but' coming up), twice now the motor has stopped for no apparent reason.  It just shuts down.  I then check the gas tank.  There is gas.  Both times I pushed it back to the garage and decided to try to start it.  Both times it started on the second pull and proceeded to run just fine while I finished the job.  Any ideas about whats happening?  As long as it restarts, I don't consider it a 'showstopper' type of problem.  But I would like to know why it shuts down. 

The fuel that is in the tank now is about a month old and it has stabilizer in it.

All input is appreciated.   

Ariens 8526LE, Cub Cadet 2185 LT, Troy Bilt 8hp 5550 Watt Generator
Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Unexplained shutdowns
Reply #1   Mar 1, 2005 6:31 pm
Read this thread...............http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/7828-A-1.html

Tell us what you think.

Welcome to the forum!
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #2   Mar 1, 2005 6:56 pm
Hi Wheels!

Gas cap -itis.Either the vent is frozen over or it is clogged. Several fixes available:

A) Loosen the cap (which in essence what you did when you removed it to check the gas tank)

B)Defrost the cap if frozen vent holes were your problem

C)Drill new vent holes in the cap

D) Buy a new cap

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Wheels

Reply #3   Mar 1, 2005 7:15 pm
Thanks Marshall.  The cap is probaby it.  Each time I took the cap off to check fuel level, which then vented it.

My cap has a rubber piece in the center on the inside.  I don't know if anything is missing, or if it should look different than it does.

But at least I feel better knowing what's going on.  I'll check one at the dealer or HD (if they still have any) to see what the cap looks like.

Thanks for the help.

Ariens 8526LE, Cub Cadet 2185 LT, Troy Bilt 8hp 5550 Watt Generator
robmints

Reply #4   Mar 1, 2005 7:18 pm
Wheels,
It has happened twice. We have only blown 3 maybe 4 times. Is it something you could repeat if wanted to? Or it just bit you twice for no reason, but you used it other times with no problem? What did the dealer say? You did end up buying from Jim Lyons, right?

No sense not trying the cap first. Try to get the latest and greatest 2005 cap. Snowshoveler indicated they were different/better in some way.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #5   Mar 1, 2005 7:24 pm
hi Wheels...

upon examining your gas cap ,you said your cap has a rubber mounted inside.

there are 2 different caps.

so ill try to describe both,the old version has the rubber held on with an aluminum washer shaped disc

the new style has no aluminum disc the rubber is held on by a mushroom in the cap itself.

your machine could have either one on it .

please discribe yours a bit better.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #6   Mar 1, 2005 7:54 pm
Wheels wrote:

My cap has a rubber piece in the center on the inside.  I don't know if anything is missing, or if it should look different than it does.

Hi Wheels,

It sounds like you have the newer gas cap already.  The newer caps, visually, have a rubber gasket piece on the underside with a little nipple in the center of it.  I don't know if overtighting them can cause them not to vent. 

Richie
robmints

Reply #7   Mar 1, 2005 8:06 pm
I would not usually ask a stupid question about oil, except my friend, who should know better, just ran the log splitter engine out of oil. 
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #8   Mar 1, 2005 8:15 pm
Wheels wrote:
Thanks Marshall.  The cap is probaby it.  Each time I took the cap off to check fuel level, which then vented it.

But at least I feel better knowing what's going on.  I'll check one at the dealer or HD (if they still have any) to see what the cap looks like.

Thanks for the help.

Anytime Wheels! I had an old push mower that it happened to all of the time, it's the first thing that comes to mind anymore when I here this kind of engine happening.
buttlint

Reply #9   Mar 1, 2005 8:22 pm
Wheels,
The easiest way too know if you have a cap problem is too remove the fuel line from the tank with the cap on. (Put a container under it.)
If you have a venting problem.....it may drip a couple of shots of gas for about 3 seconds...but then it will stop flowing completely.
If you then loosen the cap and get fuel flow...then you can be sure you that have a cap venting problem.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #10   Mar 1, 2005 9:28 pm
Thanks Lint, I'll remember this method. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42