Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Sears, Homelite, chainsaw

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Sears, Homelite, chainsaw
Original Message   Feb 19, 2005 2:36 pm
I am looking for a chainsaw to do very small work around my house (mainly 3 or 4" branches that fall, occasional firewood size logs when a bigger branch comes down).  I saw a Sears 35066 16" chainsaw and a 16 " Homelite chainsaw.  Each are about $125, each has about a 33cc - 36 cc engine.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with either of these, with strong convictions either way about them.  It will probably be used about one hour per year total.

Another possibilility is to go Echo or other "bigger brand but used".  I read the other post about chainsaws and found that information very helpful.  If I can find a used saw at a comparable price I will evaluate that route.  Agent Orange sells their used saws from time to time, although they are about $250, and if I was going to buy that I could get a new smaller Echo. 

Thank you, in advance, for any information you can give me.

Best regards,

Walt 

Replies: 2 - 11 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Re: Sears, Homelite, chainsaw
Reply #2   Feb 19, 2005 6:10 pm
Hi Walt:

I too needed a chainsaw for occasional use...I wound up buying the Poulan 2150 (refurbished) from Northern Tool for $99.  It has a 16" bar and works well for my needs.  I believe that the craftsman saw is made by same manufacturer as the Poulan (Electrolux if I recall).  The only gripe that I have with the saw is if the bar oil is left in it during storage, it tends to leak out and make a mess.

bbwb

MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #3   Feb 19, 2005 6:49 pm
bbwb wrote:
The only gripe that I have with the saw is if the bar oil is left in it during storage, it tends to leak out and make a mess.

bbwb

Most chain saws will "leak" oil.  Some of the time it is the oil that is in the bar and on the chain.  It won't look like it comes from there, but that's what we have found.  Some times it's the gasket around the cap and then sometimes it just a plain leaky tank.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #4   Feb 19, 2005 7:32 pm
The Homelight is a piece of crap IMHO.  Bought one a few years ago for some light duty work, took forever to start, then it would continue to run the chain when I put it down.  They had a recall on it.  I brought it in, about 8 weeks later they called to have me come get it, I told them to just keep it.  Spend a few bucks more and get an Echo or Stihl, or Husq (I prefer Echo).  Any of those will last you years to come.  Why buy things 2 or 3 times.
robmints

Reply #5   Feb 19, 2005 8:23 pm
I know these things get looked down upon, but I like mine. Mine is an 017 with the older engine. Mine is about 5 years old. It has the skinny chain, but it seems the better saws have a faster chain speed. Maybe it's me.
Mine has been dependable and cuts good. I think they are around $160.

Stihl
neve_rider

Reply #6   Feb 19, 2005 8:54 pm
Homelite is not a brand that is customer friendly. They are VERY hard to start, run rough, and tend to have several problems with each model, which wears one or more peices out beyond repair. Another reason you should stay away from Homelite is because the company is in financial trouble. About 2 years ago John Deere bought the company, but only to obtain the patents for the trimmers. They shortly after dumped Homelite, so when Bill said that the repair place had the saw for 8 weeks, it's not B.S.. The top 3 brands are Stihl, Echo, and Husqvarna, in no particular order. Stihl is a good brand and tends to take care of their customers, unless you were to do something like run straight gas in it or run the saw with/out the air filter. I have not really dealt with Echo, or Husqvarna, but i heard they are good brands also. Below is a link to a Stihl chainsaw that i would recommend. Also are links to Echo and Husqvarna saws. Hopefully this has helped you in your purchasing decision.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS170.html

http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=CS-305&Category=CHAINSAW

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #7   Feb 19, 2005 9:30 pm
Walt, I would go one of the smaller Echo's or Stihl's. How many times have we all experienced paying a little more and being glad we did? I don't think this need is any different, you'll be using it for many seasons and finding other uses too, I imagine.
This message was modified Feb 19, 2005 by Marshall
mrmom

Reply #8   Feb 19, 2005 10:22 pm
Had a 16 inch Homelite at the old house once. PIA to start. But once you got it going, it did the job. Looking back, I would have gone with an electric one given the chores it had to do.... 3-4 inch branches or so.

Main reason I would have gone electric is that I would not have to deal with mixing gas and oil (lazyness) Plus the jobs were small and simple.

At this point I have no need for one and the previous one went to my father-in-law who would use it for small jobs here and there. Still a PIA to start though.

Walt

Reply #9   Feb 21, 2005 7:19 pm
I would like to thank everyone who gave me input concerning my questions.  It appears that with chainsaws either go heavy duty, electric, refurbished name brand, or not at all. 

Again, many thanks for your time and efforts to my inquiry.  It is, and will be, greatly helpful.

Best regards,

Walt

This message was modified Feb 21, 2005 by Walt
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #10   Feb 21, 2005 8:06 pm
"I would like to thank everyone who gave me input concerning my questions.  It appears that with chainsaws either go heavy duty, electric, refurbished name brand, or not at all. "

Clear as mud huh? LOL
Walt

Reply #11   Feb 21, 2005 9:11 pm
Marshall,

Yes, but do not cut mud with your chainsaw...I learned that from the other post. (it really angers the saws owner!)

Walt

Replies: 2 - 11 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42