Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Orange Paint?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Ariens Orange Paint?
Original Message   Feb 16, 2005 8:11 am
Before I finally get around to putting my 1988 ST824 project back together (just in time for Spring), I need to repaint the auger housing (I have one of the Ariens SnoThros that have the paint peeling off in sheets).  I figure that with all the work I have put into it, it might as well look good.  Has anyone found a suitable (similar color to Ariens orange) paint?  The previous owner used what appears to be a flat fluorescent orange marker paint.  As you might expect, it doesn't really match at all- it looks pretty bad. 

I will probably bring the housing over to my dad's house and use a few pounds of black beauty to get the housing clean.  It's sad to see how poor the paint was on a few year's models.  My 1974 still has great looking paint. 

Any suggestions/ recommendations as to what steps (prep, primer, etc)  to take to ensure the best paint "performance"?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Ralph

Replies: 20 - 29 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Re: Ariens Orange Paint?
Reply #20   Feb 17, 2005 9:43 pm
Here ya go....

And may I say nice job!....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #21   Feb 17, 2005 11:51 pm
Will - That baby looks AWESOME!!!  I would like for you to come down to NJ to finish painting my Sears & don't forget to bring some of those "skull" decals with ya! NICE JOB MY FRIEND! Email me if you need some help with pic posting...

Guys - Will is a sticker for detail & his workmanship truely SHINES!!

Marty

OldToroOwner

Reply #22   Feb 18, 2005 6:38 am
Looks sweet...awesome job!
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #23   Feb 18, 2005 6:44 am
Richie wrote:
If the outside housing ever needs painting, you can try your hand at air brushing that cool flaming skull on there and sealing it in clear.  Again, great job

Hi there Bill,

I didn't notice I had a typo in my comment.  I meant to say if the Auger housing ever needed painting, you may want to try airbrushing the flaming skull onto that part of it, not the headlight housing.  Since you mention you don't airbrush, that cool sticker can always be clear coated so it can never peel. I remember my old Honda dirt bikes used to have the Honda logo's clear coated with the rest of the fuel tank. 

I like the custom cleanout pole.  All that machine is missing is a very cool set of drift breakers.  Since the attachment points are already there, you should come up with another great idea for those.  It'll really dress the machine up

BTW...folks, aren't the new snowblowers actually powder coated these days?  If so, and since us consumers don't have equipment like that, how does normal automotive paint hold up on these machines?

Richie
itzbinnice

Reply #24   Feb 18, 2005 10:29 am
Chriss,

Thanks for posting for me , much appreciated.

Marty,

I'm sure you're more than capable of painting that Sears, I wouldn't be surpised if you had a spray booth set up somewhere and put my job to shame, you have just about every  tool known to man. I think I know what I did wrong in posting the pics, should I have another problem I will email you.

Richie,

Yes I plan to clearcoat the decal, the sides were already clearcoated when I appied it. I'll wait to the summer, much better environment to paint in. I'm sure no automotive paint will be as good as the factory  powder coat paint as far as duarbility, but I did spray paint my rear house door about 12 years ago with a white automotive lacquer using a borrowed compressor. Paint still looks decent aside from a few nicks, I believe I paid about 25.00 a quart back then.

walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #25   Feb 18, 2005 11:40 pm
Nice looking but rust is cancer it always

come back that's the bad thing about it

solara

Reply #26   Mar 1, 2005 11:35 am
3 things:

1) i was at the ope shop last night. they had the ariens orange spray paint on the shelf. thought that 4.99 was good price....then saw it was 14.99';

2) what about touch up paint....like the ones we get for cars? is there any?

3) if u put touch up paint on w/out preparing the surface will it just rust thru?

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #27   Mar 1, 2005 12:16 pm
solara wrote:
3 things:

1) i was at the ope shop last night. they had the ariens orange spray paint on the shelf. thought that 4.99 was good price....then saw it was 14.99';

2) what about touch up paint....like the ones we get for cars? is there any?

3) if u put touch up paint on w/out preparing the surface will it just rust thru?

1. If you need it, 15 bucks isn't much to preserve the paint.

2 I haven't seen any?

3. If it was rusted before, yes it will rust through again. Remove the rust, sand and prime. If you just have chips with no rust, you can get by with touch up only.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #28   Mar 1, 2005 1:16 pm
That headlight looks like factory.  Beautiful job there. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Garandman

Reply #29   May 14, 2005 1:39 pm
I've used the Dupli Color Orange enamal on the tractor housing and it's really nice stuff - goes on easily, doesn't run easily, and seems to be tough.

But what about the White? I tried "Wimbledon White"  which seemed the closest match in the store, but the Ariens white is a little more towards beige.

Not a big deal as I'm repainting the wheels and handlebars, and the new engine is black. But I have an ST824 that I'd like to repaint the wheels on as well.
Replies: 20 - 29 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42