Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Orange Paint?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Ariens Orange Paint?
Original Message   Feb 16, 2005 8:11 am
Before I finally get around to putting my 1988 ST824 project back together (just in time for Spring), I need to repaint the auger housing (I have one of the Ariens SnoThros that have the paint peeling off in sheets).  I figure that with all the work I have put into it, it might as well look good.  Has anyone found a suitable (similar color to Ariens orange) paint?  The previous owner used what appears to be a flat fluorescent orange marker paint.  As you might expect, it doesn't really match at all- it looks pretty bad. 

I will probably bring the housing over to my dad's house and use a few pounds of black beauty to get the housing clean.  It's sad to see how poor the paint was on a few year's models.  My 1974 still has great looking paint. 

Any suggestions/ recommendations as to what steps (prep, primer, etc)  to take to ensure the best paint "performance"?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Ralph

Replies: 1 - 31 of 31View as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: Ariens Orange Paint?
Reply #1   Feb 16, 2005 8:24 am
Consider taking a part with the orange color to a paint store and have them match it with a computer.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #2   Feb 16, 2005 8:41 am
Hi Ralph,

The best suggestion I can give you is contacting Ariens and ask them if paint is available, if not, see if they'll give you the paint code.  If both of those suggestions don't work, the best option is to pull one of those flaking sheets of the original color off the machine and take it to an auto body supply shop  If you don't know where one is in your area, just stop into an auto body repair shop and they can tell you where to go.  The supply shop can scan the paint chip into their computer and make an exact color for you.  I do this all the time myself due to my hobby.

They can also sell you appropriate primer (yellow in color) that will seal the metal auger housing and you're ready to apply the paint.  Obviously a good gravity feed spray gun and compressor with filtered air would be required.  But it may be possible for them to put the paint in spray cans for you, or, there are special sprayers available that come with their own air canister you just screw onto the glass jar.  That's a great thing you are trying to do.  Whichever route you take, make sure you sand the auger housing down correctly and remove and fill any rust, if any.  The smoother the surface or foundation, the better the end results will be.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

There is a cost involved dealing with auto body supply shops, but with a little care, you will yield results that possibly may take you to the point of repainting the balance of the machine.

Richie
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #3   Feb 16, 2005 10:38 am
Yes there is a cost involved with matching up chips etc.  I investigated some of those options, time consuming costly etc.  When I called the manufacturer and they said they had no spray paint etc.  I said ok I will just paint it john deer green, which they sell everywhere in a few different types of paint.  (if you have ever seen the Ariens models re-badged and sold under John Deer brand, I think they look sharp and tough, green housings, yellow wheels and augers, black motor and handle etc)  Would I do it to a new or vintage Ariens, Probably not. (am gonna do it to a 5 two stage mtd soon, u can never get too much paint on some of them)) But I did do it to an ol 1974 lawnboy (refurb, seals rings etc) Mag deck Then sprayed the engine cover gloss black with that new plastic fusion paint.  When I gave it back to owner/relative, he thought I did a good deed by replacing his old lawnmower with one of those new lesser quality mulchers with a steel deck. 

By the way what is the proper way of painting an aluminum lawnboy, Not the mag deck.  Their paint is like 8 bucks for 8 ounces,  8 ounces would be barely enough to squeak by on a 19 inch deck, so gotta buy two, 16 bucks, but at least they sell it.  It is Lacquer,  The one I want to restore 100 percent, I would like to do it right, so primer suggestions etc. would be helpfull.  They use to sell zinc-chromite etc, now that is off shelves, prob EPA again.

There is a color out there that may match lawnboy, not 100 percent sure, think duplicolor in auto section  called "Grabber Green"

and not sure if Chrysler HEMI ORANGE engine  paint would match ariens, Might be worth a look  The current orange Ariens uses has a lot of red in it's cast,  you don notice it till you try and match with other oranges, take skid shoe with me to match bring can home and test spray.    used different color/types primers etc. it would never match.  the ariens paint always looked like it had a redder cast to it.  I now got a ton of orange paint, I use it on anything I can,  I got orange garbach cans and orange tomato stakes, etc etc.  just to use it up.  When buddies come over they keep moving, cause if they stand still too long they are afraid I will paint them orange.    

That Ben07

This message was modified Feb 16, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
TheKneebiter

Reply #4   Feb 16, 2005 12:00 pm
Ariens part # 000085 Ariens orange. First step is to wash your machine good with a heavy solution of Dawn liquid dish soap and water. Then take it and sand blast it. Then wipe it down with a final clean solution . Then prime it with a good 2 part epoxy etching primer. Then paint it with 3 or 4 very light coats.  Will look like new and last forever.  Get the final clean and primer from your local autobody supply store.

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #5   Feb 16, 2005 12:11 pm
You've gotten several good responces on choices for orange paint. One I'll add is Allis Chalmers orange if the others are not available, or you don't want to pay for custome mixed paint. As to prep, cleanliness is next to Godliness in paint prep. A clean grease free surface painted in a dust free environment will go a long way towards a good result. Make sure your primer is compatible with your top coat. And you need to spend more time sanding the surface smooth between coats than any other step of the process, and of course cleaning after sanding.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
itzbinnice

Reply #6   Feb 16, 2005 8:10 pm
Ralph,

Glad to see you finally got it fixed. As per our discussions you know I was in the same predicament as you. I did spray mine and it really looks great. The Ariens paint kneebiter suggested (part # 000085) is listed at 9.80 a can at RCPW.com. I find my dealer is usually about 25% higher on parts than RCPW, but shipping is rather steep there, however no tax. Heres the link for the paint if you decide to go that way.

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-8491&category=Ariens04&keywords=00008500

I myself used two cans of  Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic, the code on the cap is Chevy Orange DE1620 and can be bought at Autozone for 3.79 a can.  I was very pleased with the results. My eyes can't distinguish the difference from the original. I also put several coats of clear coat over the paint. Keep in mind even if you bought the Ariens paint it would never be a perfect match due to aging and weathering of the old paint. Since you do have an older unit, cost may be a factor so it's just something for you to consider.

I wanted to post a pic but am unable to find any information on this site on how to do it.

This message was modified Feb 16, 2005 by itzbinnice
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #7   Feb 16, 2005 8:13 pm
Is the pic from a website or your computer?
itzbinnice

Reply #8   Feb 16, 2005 8:45 pm
Marshall,

It's on my computer, I tried to add it to my signature but it indicates I need a URL.

Marshall

Reply #9   Feb 16, 2005 9:24 pm
itzbinnice wrote:
Marshall,

It's on my computer, I tried to add it to my signature but it indicates I need a URL.

OK, you need to upload those pics to a hosting site. Use this one, just register and then you'll be good to go.

Image Shack

Once you upload them there, click on the mountain looking icon in the toolbar and paste the URL of the pic in there, click OK, then post.
This message was modified Feb 16, 2005 by Marshall
RalphS

Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #10   Feb 17, 2005 8:06 am
Thanks to all for your suggestions.  Since this is an older machine, I will probably use the DupliColor paint that Will (itzbinnice) suggested.  Using the paint from an autobody supplier might cost more than the entire sno thro has cost so far.  I might wind up re-painting it again, but we'll see.

Ralph

itzbinnice

Reply #11   Feb 17, 2005 8:21 am
Ralph

Good idea cost wise, I'm confident you'll be pleased with the color match. Just be sure to paint it where it's warm. I did it in my unheated garage and ran both a quartz and propane heater to warm it up. I also made sure the paint cans were in a warm environment for several days before I painted. Good luck, I hope things work out as well for you as they did for me.

Marshall,

Many thanks for the link, I'll go there later and post some pics. I have to go out shortly to bring my dog to the vet, I know the cost of this visit would have enabled me to have the snowblower professionally painted, with a baked finish. The dog is part of the family and is more important than a shiny snowblower.

itzbinnice

Reply #12   Feb 17, 2005 10:52 am
OK guys here goes, I hope things don't get screwed up. In case it does you can go to this link and view the 4 picture gallery. Click on the pic to enlarge it for a more detailed view. Below I'll describe the pics.

http://img144.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=oldaugergear7mv.jpg&cols=4

Sideview: Shows the paint job, the inside of the bucket and augers were painted, outside of bucket to the point where the impeller housing meets the frame. I did not need to paint the chute assembly, as you can see it's an excellent color match. Also if you notice on the top I made a cleanout pole that is attached with spring brackets to the existing holes that were drilled in the auger housing. I used  aluminum tubing from a squeege mop my wife was throwing out that a 3/4" dowl was inserted and pinned for strength, the tip is made of plastic that I scavenged from the mop, rubberized handle also from mop. For a personal touch I applied the two skull head decals on the sides, wanted snow flakes but couldn't find any.

Auger View: Shows the inside of the bucket with paint job to augers and bucket.

Custom Headlight: Bought this in Lowes for 10.00, completely water tight. It was a 110 volt exterior light that I gutted the inside and inserted a 12 volt automotive socket and put an 18 watt automotive bulb in. Also put a toggle switch in that's mounted under the light and painetd the positions green for on and rd for off so my sorry eyes can see it.

Old Auger Gear: That's what the gear looked like when I opened the case, doesn't even resemble a gear. That's what happens when your augers are frozen or some sorry a$$ individual puts nails as a substitute for shear pins. That is exactly what the previous owner did to this machine that cost me unnecessary money an extensive labor.

Edited:  My apologies,  looks like I failed at posting the pics here, I need to do more reading before I attempt again. You can still view at the link I posted.

This message was modified Feb 17, 2005 by itzbinnice
jubol

Reply #13   Feb 17, 2005 11:16 am
  Bill,

IT LOOKS NEWWWWWWW !!!! !  !   !    !  Great job!

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Marshall

Reply #14   Feb 17, 2005 11:58 am
  THE FLAMING SKULL!

LOOKS GREAT MAN.

itzbinnice

Reply #15   Feb 17, 2005 12:04 pm
Fred- Marshall

Thanks for the compliments, just sorry you had to go to the link to view. I'll attempt to learn the process of posting pics properly with a commentary over each picture for ease of viewing. I see my friend Marty knows how to do it, he's my idol, when I grow up I want to be just like him.

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #16   Feb 17, 2005 12:13 pm
Bill,

Sweet looking Ariens and I love the custom headlite  If the outside housing ever needs painting, you can try your hand at air brushing that cool flaming skull on there and sealing it in clear.  Again, great job

Richie
itzbinnice

Reply #17   Feb 17, 2005 1:17 pm
Richie wrote:
Bill,

Sweet looking Ariens and I love the custom headlite  If the outside housing ever needs painting, you can try your hand at air brushing that cool flaming skull on there and sealing it in clear.  Again, great job

Richie

Thank you, doubt the headlight will ever need repainting, It's made for exterior use with a baked on finish, Besides the unit is stored inside and upon completion after every use  I put the quatz heater next to it to dry it, then towell dry it and spray with silicone spray. The wife thinks I'm sick and in need of medication, she calls me Felix Unger. As far as air bruhing that's a talent I don't have, can't even draw a straight line.

Regards

Will

RalphS

Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #18   Feb 17, 2005 2:14 pm
Will-

You did a great job.  Did you prime the auger housing before painting orange?  Makes me want to get mine back together ASAP.  Unfortunately, I'll be gone for a week (missing a storm, too- see my post), so more important things have to be taken care of first.  Maybe I'll post pictures of the sheared pins I found when I get back.  I'm still amazed they sheared. 

My project has a sticker that says "this engine has provisions for electric starter and alternator/headlight", so I hope there is that 12v power wire in there somewhere- it would be nice to have that headlight when it is dark.  It already has the 120v starter installed. 

Ralph

itzbinnice

Reply #19   Feb 17, 2005 2:38 pm
Ralph,

I primed the inside of the auger housing only, the outside was in better shape so I just used fine steel wool, then PrepAll, and finally alcohol before painting.

As far as the starter goes mine didn't have one but did have provisions for the alternator\starter as your does. I bought a brand new one on Ebay that is the latest model (the one with red button) for 77.00, works great. The engine already had an alternator, check for a two wire plastic connector right above the right tire (passenger side), it should be exiting the shroud there if one exists. One of the wires shoul be fastened to a ground screw there. I'll go read your post now.

Regards

Will

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #20   Feb 17, 2005 9:43 pm
Here ya go....

And may I say nice job!....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #21   Feb 17, 2005 11:51 pm
Will - That baby looks AWESOME!!!  I would like for you to come down to NJ to finish painting my Sears & don't forget to bring some of those "skull" decals with ya! NICE JOB MY FRIEND! Email me if you need some help with pic posting...

Guys - Will is a sticker for detail & his workmanship truely SHINES!!

Marty

OldToroOwner

Reply #22   Feb 18, 2005 6:38 am
Looks sweet...awesome job!
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #23   Feb 18, 2005 6:44 am
Richie wrote:
If the outside housing ever needs painting, you can try your hand at air brushing that cool flaming skull on there and sealing it in clear.  Again, great job

Hi there Bill,

I didn't notice I had a typo in my comment.  I meant to say if the Auger housing ever needed painting, you may want to try airbrushing the flaming skull onto that part of it, not the headlight housing.  Since you mention you don't airbrush, that cool sticker can always be clear coated so it can never peel. I remember my old Honda dirt bikes used to have the Honda logo's clear coated with the rest of the fuel tank. 

I like the custom cleanout pole.  All that machine is missing is a very cool set of drift breakers.  Since the attachment points are already there, you should come up with another great idea for those.  It'll really dress the machine up

BTW...folks, aren't the new snowblowers actually powder coated these days?  If so, and since us consumers don't have equipment like that, how does normal automotive paint hold up on these machines?

Richie
itzbinnice

Reply #24   Feb 18, 2005 10:29 am
Chriss,

Thanks for posting for me , much appreciated.

Marty,

I'm sure you're more than capable of painting that Sears, I wouldn't be surpised if you had a spray booth set up somewhere and put my job to shame, you have just about every  tool known to man. I think I know what I did wrong in posting the pics, should I have another problem I will email you.

Richie,

Yes I plan to clearcoat the decal, the sides were already clearcoated when I appied it. I'll wait to the summer, much better environment to paint in. I'm sure no automotive paint will be as good as the factory  powder coat paint as far as duarbility, but I did spray paint my rear house door about 12 years ago with a white automotive lacquer using a borrowed compressor. Paint still looks decent aside from a few nicks, I believe I paid about 25.00 a quart back then.

walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #25   Feb 18, 2005 11:40 pm
Nice looking but rust is cancer it always

come back that's the bad thing about it

solara

Reply #26   Mar 1, 2005 11:35 am
3 things:

1) i was at the ope shop last night. they had the ariens orange spray paint on the shelf. thought that 4.99 was good price....then saw it was 14.99';

2) what about touch up paint....like the ones we get for cars? is there any?

3) if u put touch up paint on w/out preparing the surface will it just rust thru?

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Marshall

Reply #27   Mar 1, 2005 12:16 pm
solara wrote:
3 things:

1) i was at the ope shop last night. they had the ariens orange spray paint on the shelf. thought that 4.99 was good price....then saw it was 14.99';

2) what about touch up paint....like the ones we get for cars? is there any?

3) if u put touch up paint on w/out preparing the surface will it just rust thru?

1. If you need it, 15 bucks isn't much to preserve the paint.

2 I haven't seen any?

3. If it was rusted before, yes it will rust through again. Remove the rust, sand and prime. If you just have chips with no rust, you can get by with touch up only.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #28   Mar 1, 2005 1:16 pm
That headlight looks like factory.  Beautiful job there. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Garandman

Reply #29   May 14, 2005 1:39 pm
I've used the Dupli Color Orange enamal on the tractor housing and it's really nice stuff - goes on easily, doesn't run easily, and seems to be tough.

But what about the White? I tried "Wimbledon White"  which seemed the closest match in the store, but the Ariens white is a little more towards beige.

Not a big deal as I'm repainting the wheels and handlebars, and the new engine is black. But I have an ST824 that I'd like to repaint the wheels on as well.
flathead

Reply #30   Feb 11, 2011 10:46 pm
I use Chevy orange engine paint it matches Ariens orange pretty good, you can buy it at WAL-MART.
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #31   Feb 12, 2011 8:50 am
I am pretty sure that in the 6 years that have past he has found paint and painted it.   flathead wrote:
I use Chevy orange engine paint it matches Ariens orange pretty good, you can buy it at WAL-MART.

Replies: 1 - 31 of 31View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42