Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow Dance

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Snow Dance
Original Message   Feb 16, 2005 6:42 am
Anybody out there know how to do the snow dance?  We sure need to know.  We really would like some more snow.  This rain is getting outta hand.

Sherri

Replies: 1 - 72 of 72View as Outline
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Re: Snow Dance
Reply #1   Feb 16, 2005 9:03 am
Maybe Burning a sacrificial snowblower? Maybe Snowshovelor has a old Tecumseh blower kicking around we can sacrifice.

Or maybe the Snow Gods are Briggs Fans

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #2   Feb 16, 2005 10:43 am
I'm still kinda a wondering is this is going to involve bikinis and g-strings???

Or is it just going to work with a snowblower?

Sherri

Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #3   Feb 16, 2005 10:58 am
MissSnowshoveler wrote:
I'm still kinda a wondering is this is going to involve bikinis and g-strings???

Sherri

The old saying .  "Snow on the roof-top,  FIRE in Da Furnace. "  sure bik's an g's  gotta have the proper decorations,

Do whatever it takes, I don't care if youns wear mucaluckes and bib overalls,  pls make it snow, maybe a little will blow my way

Good luck

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 16, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
nibbler

Reply #4   Feb 16, 2005 12:02 pm
MissSnowshoveler wrote:

Sherri

I suspect that if most  of the people who frequent this board wore either of the above mentioned attire while outside, mother nature would not be a happy camper.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #5   Feb 16, 2005 12:34 pm
I believe we made Hawk the snowdancer?  I' can't keep these positions straight.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #6   Feb 16, 2005 7:01 pm
AJace wrote:
I believe we made Hawk the snowdancer?  I' can't keep these positions straight.

T'was Highwind. 
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #7   Feb 16, 2005 7:19 pm
Whoever the appointed snow dancer is - they should be fired for not doing a very good job.  

Sherri

Marshall

Reply #8   Feb 16, 2005 7:32 pm
Highwind, you're fired!  

MissSnowShoveler, you got a new job.

You can even use a pole if you need? Anything at this point!  
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #9   Feb 16, 2005 7:39 pm
Well the pole will for sure stick in the mud.

This is getting to be alittle annoying though.  I'm ready for several more feet.  Is there any special way this dance should be performed???

Sherri

Marshall

Reply #10   Feb 16, 2005 7:57 pm
Oh Lord, give me strength to restain. 

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #11   Feb 16, 2005 8:00 pm
Let your mind run wild - picture your favorite OPE out there (whether it be red or orange), a nice striped pole, some lace...

Well I guess you all can go from there.

Sherri

MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #12   Feb 16, 2005 8:01 pm
Is there any special way this dance should be performed???

Sherri

Sherri

Marshall wrote:

Oh Lord, give me strength to restain. 

And we wonder WHY ITS RAINING ?? Its getting Awfull Hot Around Here

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Marshall

Reply #13   Feb 16, 2005 8:08 pm
OK, here's perfect example.......just add a ladies twist and you'll be great.

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #14   Feb 16, 2005 8:12 pm
Is that why it's raining???  Dang nabbit I'll have to go put on a couple layers of clothes and then my snow gear and head outside.  Boy ain't that gonona be something to move around in once it all gets wet.

I'm bound to get this dance thing right sooner or later...

Is there a special chant I should know about?

Snowshoveler wants to know what the pole is made out of.

Sherri

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #15   Feb 16, 2005 8:48 pm
Marshall wrote:

That's not a very hard dance - I just hope I don't break a leg bouncing back and forth.

But Snowshoveler says that's not quite it - how do you expect me to do this right if you don't give me anymore help.

LOL

Sherri

Marshall

Reply #16   Feb 16, 2005 8:54 pm
Well, no wonder it's not snowning, if he says that's not it, he hasn't been doing it right. 
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #17   Feb 16, 2005 9:42 pm
okay its gonna snow now...

a little background info first.

some time ago i was the snowdance expert ,actually more like a novice but with much help from friends here i managed to pretty much screw up the entire eastern seaboard.

some places had almost 3 feet of snow ...i was a legend in my own mind.

but i digress ,that was then  this is now...and we need snow...lots

so anyway Miss snowshoveler is outside in the driveway wearing not much wrapped around this brass pole that Marshall told her to stick in the mud.

shes doing somesort of "dance" i dont know if i would call it that.

so there is a guy smoothing out the ruts in the dirt road we live on...with of all things a shiny new JOHN DEERE tractor.

its a 4x4x4.im watching him carefully.i mean the tractor im watching.its got a V blade on the front where the bucket would normally go .and a huge snowblower on the back.

nice cab with all the bells and whistles.

so anyway...this tractor driver sees Miss snowshoveler and thats the end of his road repairs.

he is watching her from in the tractor but cant see much so he gets out of the tractor and walks in the driveway.

so there is this nice shiny new tractor sitting there minding its own business.

i should mention our road is kinda on a bit of a hill a short distance from a bit of a cliff...

seeing my chance to finally get some snow i think about sneaking out to the tractor and letting the brake off and just giving it a nudge...

while im thinking about how long ill be in jail for this ...the darn thing decides to runaway all by its self.

mr tractor driver has no idea whats going on untill its to late ...you know a tractor in neutrall will pick up quite a bit of speed when there isnt anything dragging like a blade.

and wow dont they fly well for somthing that weighs about 10 tons.

sheesh what a mess when that thing hit the bottom of that cliff it cought a fire and that was a nice boom.

fire dept came but said wasnt worth sending a crew down to put out fire....just rocks and swamp and nothing else to burn.

not sure why a diesel tractor would explode on impact but hey im not complaining.

nice fireworks.

last time i was involved in a snowdance i was responsible for the complete destruction  of a honda track drive snowblower.

and that was the best snowdance till now .

while i wasnt actually responsible for the johndeers destruction ,i did suggest to miss snowshoveler that she do a snowdance .

so in a way i kinda got the tractor rolling as it were.

i think im still the king of snow dance...but dont complain when you cant see out your windows cause the snow is above them.

later chris    

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Marshall

Reply #18   Feb 16, 2005 9:53 pm
ROFLMAO.  We need pics! 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #19   Feb 16, 2005 10:02 pm
Chris, that was as funny as it gets, even my wife is on the floor after reading it

Richie
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #20   Feb 16, 2005 11:19 pm
ROFL.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #21   Feb 17, 2005 5:36 am
OMG, O-M-G what have I done?

Really I didn't mean to do it honest.  I just wanted more snow.

Sherri

PS - It didn't work - it's still raining.  All that distruction for more rain.

This message was modified Feb 17, 2005 by MissSnowshoveler

Ben07

Reply #22   Feb 17, 2005 10:45 am
Well we got like 1/2 inch in my area east of Pittsburgh.  (I am in one of those belt,pocket type things, great if you like snowblowers.)

No big deal, but maybe your efforts are starting something, Kinda like a vulcano rumblin before the roar. (cause that is an improvement over rain.

Then again that rumblin might just be the after shock of all that bumpin an grindin.  Keep it -up.

The East Pitt-B Weather Channel

This message was modified Feb 17, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #23   Feb 17, 2005 5:27 pm
Don't know how much more of this dancing I can do.  I think I may have seen a flake of snow today though, but it might have just been my imagination, boy do we ever need snow.  The guys are starting to talk about bringing mowers into the shop, and people are starting to call about mowewr parts.  Why don't some of you guys help out.  Maybe it's the more the merrier (or snowier however you want to look at it).

Sherri

Emmo

Reply #24   Feb 17, 2005 5:41 pm
We had snow come (completely cover the yards and streets) and go (total melt) 2 different times today.  Weird!
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #25   Feb 17, 2005 5:44 pm
Emmo wrote:
We had snow come (completely cover the yards and streets) and go (total melt) 2 different times today.  Weird!

You're lucky you got to see some of that white stuff.  Here it's all dingy and yucky.  It's needs some freshening up big time!!!!!

Sherri

Ben07

Reply #26   Feb 17, 2005 5:53 pm
Just keep doin what you were doin at 4:30 eastern time. started snowing good, covered lawn and cars, not streets or drive, then quit in half hour.  I'm gonna go out and scrape up a snowball an put it in the freezer,Might have to try sacraficing it on an alter or somethin. 

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #27   Feb 17, 2005 6:00 pm
Ben07 wrote:
Just keep doin what you were doin at 4:30 eastern time.

At that time I think I was sitting at work with my head in my hands trying to figure out how to get rid of the headache I had for the last 3 days.

But I'll get back out there and hope that no tractor drivers come down the road tonight.  It is a little bit on the cooler side though, so I'll have to dress a little warmer.

Sherri

Ungabunga

Big booty best booty!

Reply #28   Feb 17, 2005 6:50 pm
Big Chief Ungabunga have bad thing happen.

Big Chief moved place be all alone, north cold town by water, bought brand new big bad shiny tractor. Big Chief out in dirt road night last ago, mind own business. Big Chief see white woman no clothes dance like Tribal women at Shrunken Head Shindig. Big Chief no believe eye ball, Big Chief use two eye ball, still no believe. No clothes woman swing round pole stuck in mud make big scene! Ungabunga decide watch is good thing.

Next Big Chief know, Big Chief and brand new big bad shiny tractor fall off cliff. Big Chief think fast,  know this no good thing happen. Big Chief jump out tractor, hang on tree stick out side of cliff. Big Chief look down, pee pants.   Next Big Chief know, Big Chief see new tractor make splat like Buffalo pattie in summer heat.

Big Chief make way down cliff, while eagle peck holes in Big Chiefs head whole way. Big Chief now look like pizza face Chief. Big Chief scared, move back Nairiobi, let Tribal women make Big Chief pretty Chief again. 

No clothes white woman make good remember for Big Chief. Big Chief find no clothes dance woman someday, invite Nairobi Shrunken Head Shindig.

Ungabunga Big Chief Leader Numbnuts Tribe

Bunga dance Bunga dance Bunga dance, Unga!

Ungabunga Big Chief Leader Numbnuts Tribe!
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #29   Feb 17, 2005 7:29 pm
Ungabunga wrote:
Big Chief Ungabunga have bad thing happen.

Ungabunga Big Chief Leader Numbnuts Tribe

Bunga dance Bunga dance Bunga dance, Unga!

Big Chief Ungabunga,

Tough sh&t about the tractor...buy a new one.  It won't matter if you had insurance or not...nobodys gonna believe you anyway.  Naked woman outside dancing around a pole in February?  They'll think you're full of it and kick your sorry butt out.

I was wondering what happened to Majestic (the eagle), he's always around here guarding the place (who needs a guard dog when you see an eagle swooping in towards you?).  You must have left a bad taste in his beak, he wasn't here when we left this morning and he wasn't here when we got back this evening.  Grrrrr...where's my guard eagle????  You haven't put some kinda hocus pocus spell on him have you?????

As for the tree you dangled off of - did you notice a burny, itching sensation coursing though your body?  If not - well...let us wait for the back door trotters to strike, that'll teach you.  It's a hybrid plant that I'm working on.  Figured that nobody would bother it if I planted it out of site.  It is a mixture of poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac with a little lilac throw in for a nice fragrance.  Figured if I could master this plant I could market it to keep away those pesky door to door salesmen.  Well I guess it will also help keep the peeping tom population down.

Well, I guess you should keep us posted in what happens with your health in the next few days...

Sherri

Ungabunga

Big booty best booty!

Reply #30   Feb 17, 2005 10:23 pm
Big Chief tough Chief, made through big time worse over years. That baby poo poo stuff.  Come Nairobi, live with Wife Ungabunga and Big Chief SIL's, you see what Big Chief talk bout! No thing in world scare Ungabunga now.

Ungabunga Big Chief Leader Numbnuts Tribe.

Bunga Bunga Bunga, Unga. 

Ungabunga Big Chief Leader Numbnuts Tribe!
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #31   Feb 18, 2005 11:49 am
Sherri,

Your snowdance works much better than mine. You must've been leaning on the east side of that pole. Called for snow flurries here and we got several inches, which is nothing spectacular, except it is the most snow we've had in 6 weeks. So keep up the good dancing.

Since I'm fired, I'm turning in my genuine Saskatchewan sealskin mukluks sewn by Micmaq natives, the authentic Newfoundland wolf skin headpiece, the Ontario grizzly fur parka, the ancient Haida handmade magnesium frame snowshoes, and the Manitoba meerkat hide mittens.  

You are lucky to do a snow dance au naturel. That outfit I wore was so heavy and hot.

BTW, you or Snowshoveller wouldn't mind posting a few pictures of you doing your dance, would you? Merely for the cultural appreciation of the fine snow dance form and artistic impressionism combined with the  traditional artistic nuances you must have worked hard to put into a successful snowdance. After all we are all connoisseurs of the snow arts here.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Marshall

Reply #32   Feb 18, 2005 11:52 am
Yea, what he said. 
Ben07

Reply #33   Feb 18, 2005 12:12 pm
Score!!!

Snow siting here in da Burg.  Inch or so .. will have to use shovel an just push.  But there are a few places where I can use it to run the older gas out of my portable. 

Thanks a lot, cause it's better than rain.

Now I think you got to do it again, the reason we all didn't get dumped on, with you workin that hard, is you had to first break the Curse.  Bingo,  you have switched the momentum.  Opposing team is in a prevent, Take the room it's giving you and work your way into another score.

Ben07

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #34   Feb 18, 2005 1:17 pm
Oh Windy One

Did you happen to snap any pictures of you out of your mucklucks, etc. (i.e. stripped down past your skivvies? ).  I think its only fair if you are asking for pictures that you be willing to trade pictures.....we're an equal opportunity forum around here, ya know...  (all in the name of form appreciation, of course...)

Paula

Ben07

Reply #35   Feb 18, 2005 1:43 pm
Paula,  I think this is a humble appeal to mother nature,  we get the wrong people dancin in their skivies, an we could freak her out.  I don't know about you but I don feel like buildin an Ark in the winter time., that's a summertime job.  Maybe you should do audition's to screen the cast first.  ( no reflection on Miss snowshoveler, she already has the lead sewn up)

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 18, 2005 by Ben07

Paula

Reply #36   Feb 18, 2005 1:52 pm
Why thank you Ben....that was nice of you to suggest that....don't mind if I do.    I'll gladly accept the position as Judge #1. 

However, in all fairness, I think we should have more than one.  Anyone else want to volunteer to judge the snow dances? 

polinsky

Reply #37   Feb 18, 2005 1:53 pm
Let's say the rainy dance but let's say today it's snowing a bit just enough to blowin' like the song snow flake are falling on my head
Ben07

Reply #38   Feb 18, 2005 2:00 pm
Great Paula, I was hoping you would take the bait, not that I was tryin to pull anything over on ya.  Just a suggestive.

Ben

Paula

Reply #39   Feb 18, 2005 2:02 pm
A suggestive what?    You just keep your suggestives to yourself, young man...

And I NEVER take bait.....be careful you don't find the fish leading the worm....not that I would EVER think to call you a worm....

Paula

Ben07

Reply #40   Feb 18, 2005 2:05 pm
You Go Girl

Paula

Reply #41   Feb 18, 2005 2:09 pm
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #42   Feb 18, 2005 4:31 pm
Well guys I may have caused some snow for you, but I'm still waiting for it...

I may have to take a break from the dancing for awhile.  Wednesday night my Grandmother almost went into a diabetic coma and was rushed to the hospital by ambulance only to be let out that night and then went back in last night, she couldn't keep anything down, so she's in the hospital for awhile until she can get her sugar and stomach under control.

So if anybody else would like a shot at the pole, I'll send it along.  Being an only grandchild is no fun...

But on the brighter side of things I have the pole shined up and I am glad some of you are getting snow.  I am going to try and get some dancing in between times.

Sherri

Marshall

Reply #43   Feb 18, 2005 4:54 pm
Sorry to hear about your Grandmothers turn Sherri, I wish her well and will say a prayer.
Emmo

Reply #44   Feb 18, 2005 4:55 pm
Click here to see the cute, blonde pole dancer!!
This message was modified Feb 18, 2005 by Emmo
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #45   Feb 18, 2005 6:17 pm
Emmo...

I'm just glad blondy didn't find my leg... 

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #46   Feb 18, 2005 6:24 pm
Snow dance...

Yeah... I know...

Not as exciting...

© Ellen 'the Alaskan' Million. All rights reserved!

...or maybe it could be !   

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #47   Feb 18, 2005 7:36 pm
Just got back from hospital.  Did a snow dance the whole way into the hospital, the whole way up the elevator, down the corridor, and then the same on the way out.  Wasn't dressed for it - but I'm willing to try anything once.  Sure got some strange looks.

Hope it starts working around here soon.

Sherri

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #48   Feb 18, 2005 8:15 pm
Paula wrote:
Oh Windy One

Did you happen to snap any pictures of you out of your mucklucks, etc. (i.e. stripped down past your skivvies? ).  I think its only fair if you are asking for pictures that you be willing to trade pictures.....we're an equal opportunity forum around here, ya know...  (all in the name of form appreciation, of course...)

Paula

Paula, ma cherie,

Qu'est-ce que c'est "skivvies"?  When I am out of zee mukluks, I am wearing underneath zee nothing. I tinks zee garcons on dis ere forum woulds much prefers zee leetle curvey young womens doing zee danse, non? You likes the danse well, I assuming. Dids you nots get so drunks at zee WI festival of liverwurst last you jumping on zee table and starts removing zee touque, but then passing outs, you fallings down?

Ah, dere be nothings finer than womans artistic danse, zee motion fluid to zee musique, zee interpretive gestures and finally zee warming up to the rhythm so that she is removing zee leetle article of clothing until she is au naturel. I am tinking dat dis would be bonne entertainment on bus trip next we go. Sherri et toi would make for more interessant bus trip if you doing zat. Trip not seems so longs.

You being a good leetle girl and sends me clothing optional photo, and then I sends you one. Oui ou non?

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #49   Feb 18, 2005 8:28 pm
Highwind wrote:
Ah, dere be nothings finer than womans artistic danse, zee motion fluid to zee musique, zee interpretive gestures and finally zee warming up to the rhythm so that she is removing zee leetle article of clothing until she is au naturel. I am tinking dat dis would be bonne entertainment on bus trip next we go. Sherri et toi would make for more interessant bus trip if you doing zat. Trip not seems so longs.

You being a good leetle girl and sends me clothing optional photo, and then I sends you one. Oui ou non?

Boys oh boys, I have a hard enough time reading my own language, then throw in some well thought up make believes and some french and I'm, well I'm, I can't say that here, pretty sure I can't, but you can probably figure it out on your own.

Snowshoveler is scared of the camera, so there is no snow dance pictures.  You'll have to ask the Chief Ungabuna what it was like to see a snow dance in Nova Scotia. 

Boy he really gets around doesn't he???  Maybe he's a spy, maybe he's really an alien here to collect human specimans to take back to his home world???  You just never know these days.  Snowshoveler told some of his history - ODD!

Sherri

Paula

Reply #50   Feb 19, 2005 12:23 am
Highwind wrote:
Paula, ma cherie,

Qu'est-ce que c'est "skivvies"?  When I am out of zee mukluks, I am wearing underneath zee nothing. I tinks zee garcons on dis ere forum woulds much prefers zee leetle curvey young womens doing zee danse, non? You likes the danse well, I assuming. Dids you nots get so drunks at zee WI festival of liverwurst last you jumping on zee table and starts removing zee touque, but then passing outs, you fallings down?

Oh windy, windy one....you wax so..well...windy....

Ze maks fun of di acczent, I sinks....and ze generalz no likee datz.....zhe getz ze speciale toolz ouz for ze sveetalkies likz zu....snipz, snapz...no more zveetie talkzies....changes vu to meekz as lambchopz...'yes dearz' and "no dearz' all we hear from ze winzy one....no more azkzies for nakie piztorez....generalz just need whisperz "snip" in ze winzy ear...

Sherri

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.  How is she doing?  Have they been able to stabilize her blood sugars? 

Paula

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #51   Feb 19, 2005 6:55 am
Paula wrote:
Sherri

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.  How is she doing?  Have they been able to stabilize her blood sugars? 

Paula

Paula

Thanks for your concern.  She's better in the hospital now then at home.  My grandfather can't look after her easily and Mom and Dad can't be in their part of the house all the time.  They can get her blood sugars up but they fall rapidly, she still isn't able to keep much down, but she said her supper stayed with her longer last night then any meal in the last two days.  So I guess that's good.

Honestly I have to shake my head laughing at the health care system here.  She was in the emergency dept. over night the first night, they said they had no rooms, but amazingly when that got full of people to be admitted - they had beds.  Makes me wonder why I'm paying taxes in Nova Scotia.

But I will try and do snow dances as often as possible, we need the snow, it's calling for flurries and rain next week.  With any luck my snow dance will make the flurries prevail.

Sherri

Paula

Reply #52   Feb 19, 2005 8:10 am
MissSnowshoveler wrote:
Paula

Thanks for your concern.  She's better in the hospital now then at home.  My grandfather can't look after her easily and Mom and Dad can't be in their part of the house all the time.  They can get her blood sugars up but they fall rapidly, she still isn't able to keep much down, but she said her supper stayed with her longer last night then any meal in the last two days.  So I guess that's good.

Honestly I have to shake my head laughing at the health care system here.  She was in the emergency dept. over night the first night, they said they had no rooms, but amazingly when that got full of people to be admitted - they had beds.  Makes me wonder why I'm paying taxes in Nova Scotia.

But I will try and do snow dances as often as possible, we need the snow, it's calling for flurries and rain next week.  With any luck my snow dance will make the flurries prevail.

Sherri

Sherri

How old is your grandmother, if you don't mind me asking?  Do you have any idea what they have her on for her diabetes?  I know they can do a combo of oral medications and insulin shots depending on the severity of her diabetes to try and control/stabilize it.  Also, if she is taking any kind of steroids (prednisone, cortisone, etc.) for anything like arthritis, etc. that can really wreak havoc with her sugars. 

I always find it interesting to hear about Canada's heatlh system because it has been such a hot topic of debate here in the U.S.  I have read articles stating that people are dying while waiting to see doctors for what should be routine procedures because there is such a shortage of doctors, heard that the quality of care is not good and that people are coming to the U.S. to see doctors, willing to pay just to be seen by doctors, etc.  Then, on the other end of the spectrum, I have heard that the healthcare is very good there, the costs very minimal/free (not counting your other taxes), medications are free and there are more types of medications because there is an easier and/or better process of approving medications. 

Then, there is the U.S. system where everything is privatized except for Medicare.  Insurance keeps rising at an astronomical rate (when I was married we paid $240/month as our 30% of the monthly premium, the X's company paid the other 70% of a family plan, for health insurance for an HMO which limits which doctors you can see, limits which drugs it will pay for, limits what hospitals you can go to and has whole list of exclusions and/or pre-existing medical condition clauses, usually impacting on quality of care (i.e. not having the best doctors in the plan because they are willing to accept lesser fees) versus the HSA I now have which is turning out to be an absolute joke (Bush was toutng these as the healthcare plan of the future...gees, I hope not!) which stands for a Health Savings Account.  This is where supposedly pretax dollars (except that Wisconsin forgot to pass legislature to that effect and we DO get taxed on it...OOPS! ) are put into a 'savings account' and you pay for your deductible out of there (usually with a high deductible - ours is 2600/year for a single plan, 5000/year for a family!).  It is up to your employer how much they kick in but there is a maxiumum to what they are allowed (2000/year).  After the deductible is met, then supposedly everything is paid for.  Ok in theory but the reality is much different.  Our HSA turns out to be similar to an HMO as there is a limit to what docs you can see (and the ones you can see mostly are of lesser quality, with a healthcare group who I won't name but really stink!), the HSA company takes their sweet time about when they actually deposit the money in your account (its not regulated yet) so you have to wait on them (two weeks since money was sent from employer, still not deposited by HSA company), etc.  And if you don't have the money to pay for insurance (or your employer doesn't offer it or can't afford to offer it), then you can go to doctors but pay out of pocket and if you can't afford to pay, then you pretty much can only go for emergency care,  unless you can get government funded insurance (Title 19). 

Then there is the malpractice insurance....the doctors are paying a ridiculous amount but they cannot afford to be without it.  One doc I know (and he is an excellent surgeon with incredible credentials) pays $60,000/year for his premium!  That is more than a lot of families make on a combined income!

I don't have any answers as to what is the right system or how to fix it, however, I think, at least here in the U.S. healthcare is approaching a crisis  point....and something needs to be done.  I think also that Canada is having some major problems with their healthcare system and is also reaching a crisis point in terms of doctors leaving because their salaries are so regulated, etc.  It will be interesting (and a little/lot scary) to see what happens to the healthcare system in both our countries over the next 10 to 20 years. 

Anyway....didn't mean to write a novel about healthcare....

I hope your grandmother does well and that they can get her on a regimen that stabilizes her blood sugars. 

Paula

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #53   Feb 19, 2005 9:38 am
Paula

Forgive me for not quoting that into this one.  My grandmother is 74 or 75 and has a bunch of pills she takes for her many ailments.  She has had stints put in her arteries twice, and they discovered in the middle of last year that her kidneys were starting to fail, fibermalga(sorry - I probably slaughtered that one),arthritis, and the list unbelievably goes on.  She takes insulin twice a day (as do my mother and grandfather - I'm lucky so far), and I made a updated list of her meds for the nurses in the hospital.  It took almost a whole page typed with 1/2 spaces in between.  Everything from arthiritis pills to nerve pills to sleeping pills.  Way too many if you ask me.  If you have a health plan her the drugs are free.  Me, I don't have one, so I pay for any meds I need - don't go to doctor very often.  She is on the DVA (dept of veternans affairs) plan with my grandfather, they have an allowance of so much a year and then they have to pay.  Which is usually only a months worth of meds.  But that costs a small fortune.

But Wednesday when she almost went into a diabetic coma...she was so close it wasn't funny.  The First Responders told me I was in the wrong profession - I just laughed a little and said no, hate the health care system.

Around here the waiting times are horrible.  For instance, the doctor thinks my father may be diabetic.  Found this out last October, he's waiting for tests that are scheduled for next month.  Most specialists are in Halifax, we are just starting to see some branching off and spreading into towns.  But they don't stay long.  Doctors come and they can't wait to get back to the city.  At my doctors office, it's unreal.  Say your appointment is for 10:30, you can be sure of an hours or more wait.  Dad had an appointment with a surgeon, he waited in that office for 2 hours and finally told the receptionist to go pound salt, he wasn't getting paid to stand there, there was only standing room left in this office that housed 3 surgeons.  He said there was at the most 8 chairs.  It's a little crazy.

But if you manage to get into see the doctor, sugeon or what have you, the care is most generally awesome.  Nanny had to spend a night in emergency in Halifax 5-6 years ago.  She had fallen and hit her head on the corner of her night stand.  Dad and myself took to the hospital in Bridgewater, they sent us on to Halifax where we sat in the waiting room for 5 hours and then they called her into the back room and we sat there for an additional 4 hours.  Mind you Dad and I had to get up to go to work in the morning.  She had a "blood bubble" between her skull and some kind of membrane.  I thought it was called a bruise - but what do I know?

Grampy had a stroke 5-6 years ago (the second set of stints, the stroke for grampy and her falling into the night stand all happened in 2 months).  We took him to the hospital and they sent him home.  He couldn't walk, Nanny had just gotten out of Halifax from surgery and they sent him home.  The next morning he went back in and the doctor tried to refuse to see him.  She didn't last long around here.  Anyway off to the city for tests and supposedly back home.  He stayed in the QEII for 3 weeks and then onto rehab for a month.  His care was good, could have been better, but we all survived.

But anyway I will be going to see her again today so I'll keep you posted.

Sherri

This message was modified Feb 19, 2005 by MissSnowshoveler

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #54   Feb 19, 2005 6:51 pm
Seems like my snowdance has paid off a little bit here.  It flurried today!!!!!  Now mind you I could count the flakes and most of them seemed to be going in the wrong direction (they were going up), but it was was snow!!!!

So I'm back off to do some more dancing.  It's a little chilly out and that damn pole looks a little frosty, but I'll be brave.

Sherri

mrmom

Reply #55   Feb 19, 2005 8:09 pm
A little grease on the pole goes a long way. Wrap some pole warmers at the base of the pole and you should be ok too..
Paula

Reply #56   Feb 19, 2005 9:08 pm
mrmom wrote:
A little grease on the pole goes a long way.  

I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot....ummm...never mind....

Sherri

I will never understand why a few docs feel it is necessary to put patients on so many medications.  There is NO way they know how all of those medications interact together....heck, half the time they don't know if two medications interact with each other, much less how the combination of 25 or 30 do!!  I have seen a few patients come through our office with a list like what you are talking about for your grandmother....I take note of the name of their primary care physician and make a mental note to NEVER go to them and to warn my friends and family away from him/her!  Basically, their philosophy seems to be treat every symptom with a medication, the heck with WHY the symptom is occurring!  (Could you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?!)

Are the waiting times because of lack of physicians willing to work in the area where you are (are you in a remote area?),. just a lack of physicians in general or a healthcare system that is just maxed out, period? 

Why would you have to pay for your healthcare?  I thought all of Canada was basically free healthcare (not counting taxes of course!)

I am in the healthcare field and I do have to defend some aspects of it......nurses, aides, medical records, etc. people are, as a rule, understaffed, underpaid (McDonald's pays more than many healthcare positions!) and overworked.  And, believe it or not, while I will not claim that docs are underpaid, I will say that, as a general rule of thumb, the docs I have worked with have been a very hardworking bunch.  One of our surgeons easily spends 12 hours in an operating room, sometimes on one surgery, sometimes on back to back surgeries and will work these kinds of hours for several days in a row, not to mention being on call.  They have to deal with a lot of beauracracy in terms of insurance companies and Medicare....having to justify everything they do to companies who are looking for any and every reason not to pay.  And our docs always give people who have no insurance major discounts....50% or more off their medical bills. 

Personally, I think insurance, lawyers (sorry Mad dog!) and govt. are at the root of most of the problems....anytime you allow insurance companies to determine what is and isn't considered medically necessary, you know your medical system is ass-backwards....

(And that is my rant for the day....going to go meditate or something now ....)

Paula

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #57   Feb 20, 2005 7:33 am
Paula wrote:

so many medications. 

the heck with WHY the symptom is occurring!

lack of physicians willing to work in the area 

just a lack of physicians in general

(And that is my rant for the day....going to go meditate or something now ....)

Paula

MrMom

Brrrr....wouldn't the grease be just as cold or am I supposed to warm it up???  What would you suggest for a pole warmer?  It is snowing here this morning.  The ground is trying to turn white.  Nice fine flakes though.  I'd like to see some huse monster flakes.

Paula,

That's my thought on medications and doctors.  They don't want to find the root problem, just perscribe a pill to make those symptoms go away and when another pops up - do the same.  The doctor she was with in Lunenburg was ral bad for that.  The doctor she's with now isn't quite so bad, but the damage is done.  Can you imagine - cardic, diabetic and renal diets.  Her previous doctor is the root cause of the renal diet - he pushed too many pills and now her kidneys can't function well.  Her new doctor has cut her meds in half, but still that's not enough.

We aren't that rural.  Bridgewater is a pretty big town with a lot of out lying areas.  A relatively new hospital that has lots of space, but no doctors.  There's a entire wing not open.  Just supplies waiting to be used.

I think new doctors don't come and stay is because of the over load they seem to get right off the bat.  There are a lot of people here on waiting lists.  There's just no new blood around to help ease the other doctors loads and when they do come they go holy crap and run for the hills.

When anybody goes to a doctor they don't have to pay for a regular visit.  But at my doctors office you have to pay for stupid stuff like having forms filled out, having moles removed - cancerious or not, ingrown toe nails and the list goes on.  The doctors claim that these things the health care system won't pay for.  I have some wierd looking moles and should have them looked at, but for the price of $40 - 50 (that's canadian) I don't think so.

The people in the healthcare system here are greatly over worked.  Most of the people going to medical school can't find jobs and are going to the US.  There they get more money and a job, with the debt they are in from schooling - who can blame them?  So that isn't going to help ease the load on anyone.  When I was in visiting my grandmother yesterday, I saw 2 trainees.  The rest of the nurses sitting sedately behind the nurses station were batting middle age.  There should be positions for younger people, but there aren't and that's disappointing.  When someone rings the buzzer they just sit there until it goes off for the second or third time and then they go and investigate.  Nanny said that happened to her in the middle of the night.  She woke up and felt funny.  She thought her sugars were going low and the nurse didn't come until the third buzzer and then didn't know she was diabetic.  It makes me wonder, it really does.  All the charts are there, pull it when you hear the buzzer, do a quick check and then go.  But that's not what they do.  They seem to think it's a horrible thing to have to go to someone in the middle of the night.  The nurse by the way told her she looked fine and to go back to sleep.  I was not terribly impressed when I heard that one.  Butthat's enough ranting on the hospital, I know that she is feeling better and able to keep that stuff they call food down.  Remember diabetic, cardic and renal diets - what does that leave you to eat?????  Last night it was a pound of turkey, a cup of rice, apple juice (watered down), and applesauce.  She mixed her applesauce in the rice so she could eat it, but she just could swallow the turkey without it getting stuck in her throat.  Nice meal.

But anyway it's still snowing YEAH!!!!!!!!!  I should go check the weather and find out how little we are really supposed to get, I thought this was actually supposed to be rain, but I'm not going to complain.  I LOVE THE SNOW!!!!!

Sherri

PS - Sorry that these posts are so long.

Paula

Reply #58   Feb 20, 2005 11:30 am
Sherri

You must have been doing something right (bet Snowshoveler thinks you have too...) because we're under a winter snow advisory here in Wisconsin!  Wahoo!!  Trees are covered and gorgeous....snow is coming down in great big flakes! 

We've already been out to play....sledding down the big hill onto the lake although the sledding isn't that great because snow is packy.....makes for great snow fights though! .  We did have fun slip-sliding on the ice.  Took the dog out and let her play too....likes to bury her face up to the eyes in the snow and then lift her muzzle (10% dog, 90% ham)  so all you can see is eyeballs, doing her rabid dog routine...

Keep dancing Sherri (and I'm sure SnowShoveler will take care of providing the pole....). 

Paula

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #59   Feb 20, 2005 11:54 am
I was out there shakin' and boppin' around this morning, but our snow stopped.  Hasn't melted away yet though.  Maybe you can stick some of the white stuff in an envelope and mail it off to us.  The skies are sunny and pretty much cloudless.

Shovelers out there warming up the pole again - no rest for the weary.

Sherri

Paula

Reply #60   Feb 20, 2005 1:07 pm
MissSnowshoveler wrote:
hovelers out there warming up the pole again - no rest for the weary.

Sherri

Annnnnnnnd, the down side isssss??   
Ben07

Reply #61   Feb 20, 2005 3:13 pm
Hi Miss S.   Glad you got the folks stabilized.  Thoughts prayers etc.   That said now back to kidding you OK 

You are making headway, Thin you cracked the curse.  lot of area's snow predicted. 

However you know there are  24 hours in the day.

I am not saying you have to be dancing around the campfire every night,  but  Look for full moon nights.  change outfits during the course of the day to reflect the theme (maybe an NFL C.L. outfit to work.)  You were getting in to the North Amer native thingy, Eskimo and or Indian thingy.  

I don't know  Eagle feathers,  and those dream catcher things.  (nice decorations those Dream catcher)  Buffalo head necklass,  beads,  Jack and the bean stock beans .  whatever.  At least the beans could be workin while your sleepin. Yeah I know lame suggestions,  But some of us are getting desperate as the thaw is close.

It is in the forecast, but it may still be up to you to make it happen.. Go get em Snowcloud.

Ben  

This message was modified Feb 20, 2005 by Ben07

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #62   Feb 20, 2005 4:49 pm
Just thought I'd come in for a break.  It's time to get some food and drink.  It feels nice to sit down.

I've tried lots of outfits, leather, lace, pink, white, black and so on.  Haven't figured out yet which one works best.

I think I'm going to have the pole moved out behind the house, I'm tired of all accidents happening out here.

First Ungabunga and his tractor, that brought several RCMP, fire dept., and ambulances.  Well 2 RCMP cars have ended up in the swamp, 1 ambulance and I think I saw a fire truck end up over the cliff before I came in.  Hope the neighbors aren't getting mad.  But if they are oh well - they should be out dancing too.

Well foods on - then I'll go change into a genie theme and head back out.

Sherri

millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

Reply #63   Feb 20, 2005 6:03 pm
Hey miss shovler  its working.  Im here in cape breton beautiful afternoon went skating with the kidds out side and flooded the out door rink , came home had a shower and bam havent seen this much snow in 1 hour i could take the mutt  out right now and blow the drive way .Get the old fella to give ya a shot of that moonshine he used to have and back to shaken,  i need shcool cancelled for tommorow.

millwright

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #64   Feb 20, 2005 7:26 pm
Okay guys and gals,

It seems to me that it is snowing just about everywhere else except here.  What in the name of snowflakes is going on?  I'm out there busting my butt off so I can see some snow, and I get a bunch of powdery stuff that I could fill a glass with if I wanted to clean it out of the yard. 

Maybe it isn't supposed to be a brass pole, maybe a wooden one?  I guess I could try dancing with a tree.  We do have plenty of them.  I guess I'll have to keep searching my wardrobe and maybe Shovelers to find the right outfit.  Any suggestions????

Sherri

Paula

Reply #65   Feb 20, 2005 8:20 pm
Sherri

How about you and Shoveler switching wardrobes?   (Might scare the flakes into falling out of the sky...)

Paula

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #66   Feb 20, 2005 8:23 pm
Seems to be some trouble brewing out there in cyber space.

I will try on his snow gear.  Hopefully that'll work.

So how does your snowblower and shovels work????  Ours here are on vacation, not very fun.  Can't break anything if you don't use it.

Sherri

Marshall

Reply #67   Feb 20, 2005 8:40 pm
Evidently, your dancing has done some good, many are getting some snow. You need to treat yourself better though, if the snowdancer gets no snow, Discouragement might set in and hold bad news for everyone.
millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

Reply #68   Feb 25, 2005 4:52 pm
Hey miss shovler  are you on the pole again  its storming in Cape
Breton suppose to go all night . Keep up the good work .

millwright

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #69   Feb 25, 2005 7:44 pm
Yeah - I was at it again.   I was praying for the blizzard we were supposed to have - but any snow is better then no snow.  Good for business and all.

Sherri

walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #70   Feb 26, 2005 10:56 am
Miss,

Count on us we are moving to NS :)

Ben07

Reply #71   Feb 26, 2005 12:42 pm

M S  You did great for up here east of Pgh., PA  Thursday 4" morning, than you must have taken a break  as it started to turn to rain and wash it away.  So I did three properties before the rain could do that,  Then wam another 4" real fast.  If you turned on a broadcast here that's all they were talking about . The road crew strategies, the fender benders, yada yada.  Thing is the area wasn't affected that bad.  They acted like it was  the first surprise snowfall of the season.  There is always a big ruckus then.  I think the news was just like us .  They Had the "jonses" (withdrawl nerves) from going so long without snow. 

Anyhow once you get the ball rolling, you can't take a break.  I think you need an assistant to spell you off. 

In a pinch youns could use one of those rubber dolls, kinda like a scarecrow/snowwoman.

Ben 

This message was modified Feb 26, 2005 by Ben07

Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #72   Feb 28, 2005 9:18 pm
Thanks for todays snow dance Sherri!

(I slipped a buck into my computer for you!)

Thanks again!

Walt

Replies: 1 - 72 of 72View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42