Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ariens st824 speed selector

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
wjs76

ariens st824 speed selector
Original Message   Feb 7, 2015 9:39 pm
hey guys I have st824 932 series and the speed selector lever broke and it flopping around like a wet noodle. I looked and noticed a broken spring but for the life of me cant find how it hooks into the shaft of the lever . I looked in the service manual but doesnt show it too well .. please help me out boys! picture would help thanks!
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Re: ariens st824 speed selector
Reply #1   Feb 7, 2015 9:46 pm
wjs76 wrote:
hey guys I have st824 932 series and the speed selector lever broke and it flopping around like a wet noodle. I looked and noticed a broken spring but for the life of me cant find how it hooks into the shaft of the lever . I looked in the service manual but doesnt show it too well .. please help me out boys! picture would help thanks!

serial number helps us hep you.

wjs76

Reply #2   Feb 7, 2015 9:49 pm
932029 001952
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #3   Feb 7, 2015 10:03 pm
so where is the spring you mention,under the dashboard ? otherwise I don't think it has a spring externally.

trouts2

Reply #4   Feb 8, 2015 12:30 pm

Taking a wild stab. 

There may be two problems.  

The reason is the shift rod goes down to a lever that’s outside the case.   The lever rotates a short shaft which moves the yoke controlling the movement of the friction disk back and forth across the shaft to control speed.  I don’t see a spring anywhere in this group other than a small one up by the speed lever on the handlebars.  There are holes for each end so probably not the spring you see loose.

Problem 1.  The shift yoke came off the bearing assembly so the speed lever has no resistance.  No spring involved.    The shift yoke has two arms that fit over the bearing assembly arms.  So that’s the easy to move shift lever. 

The rod could be separated at the base housing but that would be obvious and you would see that. 

Problem 2.  The spring.  The spring you see could be the tensioner for the drive plate.  That spring tensions another yoke which is behind the drive plate.  The yoke attaches to a second bearing assembly with arms that the yoke go over.    A spring always pulls the yoke assembly so the drive plate does not touch the friction disk.  When you push down the clutch that whole assembly gets pulled up to the friction disk.  So the drive plate has a yoke that is pulled away by the spring and may be the one you see.   The other spring in there is over a rod so would not flop around or be loose. 

How the spring attaches:

That spring attaches to one arm of the yoke.  One side of the yoke has a hole.  When the yoke is pointed to the ground the spring is in the hole and at a right angle to the yoke arm, pointed toward the blower housing.  Put the spring in and hold it 90 to the yoke and you’ll find the attachment point.  That may be a place on the back of the bucket. 

The only other spring in the tractor drive is on the pulley tensioner and it should be obvious where the spring attaches so probably not that spring. 

wjs76

Reply #5   Feb 8, 2015 1:22 pm
no its just a small spring that attaches to the lever underneath the dashboard.. the machine still moves and operates just fine
This message was modified Feb 8, 2015 by wjs76
RedOctobyr

Reply #6   Feb 8, 2015 1:35 pm
I no longer have my ST824 (mine had the 6-forward, 2-reverse setup). But on my current Ariens, I believe that spring pulls the shift-lever to the left, to hold it into the cutouts for the different speeds. I move the lever to the right to get it out of the cutouts, then move the lever forward/back to change speeds.

If yours works similarly (notches to the left-hand side, going down the gear-selector channel in the control panel), I'd look for something underneath the panel, to the left of the shift lever, that the spring could hook onto.

If yours works differently, then disregard this.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42