Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity 42" MFG no 1691522 Snow Thrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Theresamay

Simplicity 42" MFG no 1691522 Snow Thrower
Original Message   Nov 22, 2013 12:42 am
My belt broke, and I put the pulley back on and it broke another belt and the key, I called Simplicity, they said the pulley in the manual is on backwards. So I changed the pulley to be opposite the manual specs and am concerned as the Drive Shaft moves left and right, causing the pulley to rub up against the drive shaft housing, which in turn wore a groove in the pulley.. I looked closely under the Chain Guard and don't see any sort of bushing to go between the Drive shaft sprocket and the housing nor is there a spacer of any kind between where the pulley sets on the drive shaft. Seems the drive shaft moves back in forth in the housing causing the pulley to rub on the drive shaft housing. What am I missing here? I am a girl, but try my best at mechanical duties (even though I don't like it) Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Simplicity 42" MFG no 1691522 Snow Thrower
Reply #1   Nov 22, 2013 3:54 pm

The exploded view from partstree shows a clearance between the outside of the sprocket and side plate to be .81 inch plus/minus .06.   It looks like that is set with the allen screw i.e. you would slide the sprocket on the shaft with the key in and out until you got the recommended clearance.  You would then tighten the allen screw.

>>”the Drive Shaft moves left and right, causing the pulley to rub up against the drive shaft housing,”

Not sure what the above is saying.   Is the Drive Shaft above the auger/rake drive shaft?  Is the “drive shaft housing” the snowblower housing?   The drawing I’m looking at in partstree

(http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=simplicity&mn=1691522+-+Snowthrower%2C+Single-Stage+%2C+42%22&dn=19367)

calls the auger/rake part the rotor assembly.  If all the parts on that assembly are on correctly there should be very little to no wiggle in the router.  That is it may be 1/16 ?? or less. 

The rotor assembly fits into and rides on the flanges and bearings on each side.  The right facing side with the sprocket has the side plate attached on the outside of the housing and the pulley sits on the far end.  There should be no scraping on anything.   The drawing shows the side plate on the outside of the snowblower housing and the flanges  and bearings mounted to the outside of that.  The sprocket pulley is mounted on the outside of that so the only way it could rub anything is to be too close to the side plate.   The clearance between the side plate and pulley is .81inch which would be less than any play in the router shaft.  No rubbing.  If  you’ve got the pulley and side plate clearance to spec and the shaft can wabble enough to have the pulley rub the side plate then the wiggle is too great.  Something is not correct with the setup of the router assembly.  Check the exploded view above and make sure all the parts are as shown.  (Given what  you mentioned about the pulley being shown reversed it should be obvious when you look at the pulley and side plate which way it goes.)

This message was modified Nov 22, 2013 by trouts2
Theresamay

Reply #2   Jan 31, 2015 10:59 pm
I was missing the washers nearest to the pulley, It only cost me 300 dollars to figure it out Now I have to take it apart again, cuz the shop that did it put the pulley on backwards and lost the bolts off the clamps that keep the drive shaft in line with the auger shaft! The set screw for the drive alignment is only on the Auger shaft not the drive shaft?
Theresamay

Reply #3   Jan 31, 2015 11:00 pm
Simplicity 2171248SM PULLEY! is the part JOY! Thanks for the post!
Theresamay

Reply #4   Feb 1, 2015 2:03 am
Fixed everything but the shaft near the pulley is hot hot hot
trouts2

Reply #5   Feb 1, 2015 5:39 pm
  The shaft should not get hot.  It should be turning on the ball bearing inside the inner and outer flanges.   You probably should not use
it unless your in a pickle as something is wrong in there.  

For there to be heat something is rubbing.  There should not be rubbing as the shaft will rotate on the ball bearing.  Maybe the ball
bearing is frozen.   The flanges should capture the bearing housing so it will not move so only the inner part of the ball bearing will
move.  Those are usually greaseless ball bearings but I guess you could try grease.  Many claim that's not a good way to go as it
will introduce dirt.

From the drawing it looks like the end of the shaft will not rub on anything, i.e. that the end will go through the ball bearing, then
pulley and end at an open space in the housing.  About the only other thing there is the pulley and the washers.   Looking at the
drawing it looks like the only place to put washers is in the inside towards the ball bearing.  

The pulley should be moving with the shaft because of the key.  If the washers are pushed too much against the bearing they
may rub.  That is the pulley causes the washers to rotate but the bearing case will be stationary.  It's remote but what else in
there could rub?
trouts2

Reply #6   Feb 2, 2015 6:52 am
trouts2

Reply #7   Feb 2, 2015 7:36 am
   I got mixed up so disregard post #5 above.

Below is the install manual for the 169522 42 inch snowblower attachment with setup instructions.
    http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCyEN8cpO4rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdf

Above this post is a post of the assembly. 

As to heat on the shaft near the pulley here are some points:

The sprocket shaft (13 above) goes into a holder shaft (8) they call a housing assembly.  The housing assembly has
needle bearings (6) on each end and could be worn causing friction and heat..

The housing assemble (8) must be parallel to the snowblower housing withing 1/8 inch.  I think you would get that
alignment with the housing clamp (4).

To get proper tensions on the sprocket shaft (13) inside (8) the drive sprocket (top) must be aligned with the driven
sprocket (below inside the housing) by .06 inch.

The housing assembly has a grease fitting.  You should pump grease into that until you see grease going out of the
ends of the housing assembly (8).  The needle bearings will probably be close enough to the housing assemble to get
grease also.  You could snug them up to the housing assembly while pumping in grease.

Another factor could be belt tension and alignment of the tensioner pulley with the new pulley on the sprocket shaft (13).

>>The set screw for the drive alignment is only on the Auger shaft not the drive shaft?

I'm not sure what this is saying.  The only set screw I see is the screw that holds on the new pulley.   That set screw
goes into the pulley and rests on the sprocket shaft (13).  I don't see a set screw anywhere else.
screw to align anything other than the pulley.

There is some confusion in that they also call the housing assembly the drive shaft housing.  This is the shaft at the back
of the blower and held in place with the 2 clamps (4).  Those clamps are used to align the shaft to 1/8 parallel to the
snowblower housing.  This is the shaft with the grease fitting.  (Note: there are also grease fittings inside the snowblower
housing on the flanges which hold on the auger. 

With everything aligned like the above and greased the sprocket shaft should ride on the needle bearings and inside the
housing assembly (drive shaft housing) without friction and not get hot.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42