Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Misery from not properly storing a new Ariens....

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
newtonian

Misery from not properly storing a new Ariens....
Original Message   Dec 5, 2012 1:11 pm
(thread updated 12/15/13, same problem!)

I was negligent last year and never put my new 11.5HP Platinum Ariens into storage.  It sat with 1/2 tank of fuel from the dealer, was never used during that remarkable winter and now.... when I tried starting it not a thing happened.  The motor turned over without a sputter.

Having learned a few things from reading this board (thank you) I found the carb and cleaned out the not surprisingly clogged jet with a single strand of wire from lamp cord.  The bottom of the bowl was clean, I reused the bowl gaskets tightening things enough that it didn't leak.  I didn't want to overdo it.  It started immediatly

I then added 1/2 tank of fresh gas to the 1/2 tank of old gas that came with it, some Stabil, and inflated the tires to 18PSI.

Some questions:
1)  Should I check on or clean anything else? 

2)  Is there a service manual for the engine?  Just looking at it, I didn't know which cover to remove to find the carb and still don't know which cover the spark plug is hiding under.  I see generic instructions for operating the engine, but not for service.

3)  The inside of the bowl was uniform all around, and there's a tail of sorts molded into the exterior underside.  Does it matter which direction it's installed?  I know with the older carbs it does, but it didn't seem to matter with this one.

Of interest, I had an older 9526DLE stored next to it, under similar circumstances, and it started instantly. 
This message was modified Dec 26, 2013 by a moderator

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Replies: 4 - 13 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
newtonian

Re: Misery from not properly storing a new Ariens....
Reply #4   Dec 5, 2012 3:20 pm
It's a new, well now it's a year old, snowblower that's never seen snow.  

I guess I can postpone the above recommendations for awhile and just enjoy it if it ever snows around here again.

Can a fuel filter be added?

Thanks.
This message was modified Dec 5, 2012 by newtonian

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Bill_H

Reply #5   Dec 5, 2012 3:37 pm
newtonian wrote:
Can a fuel filter be added?

Thanks.

Yes, easily. Just pick up an inline filter at an auto parts store. Know the size of your line - probably 1/4". They usually come with clamps but pick up 2 if it doesn't. Find a suitable spot, cut the line and install it.

Note that a filter won't help with bad gas or water, just dirt.

Update: just remembered some filters are directional - there will be an arrow that should point away from the tank and towards the carb.
This message was modified Dec 5, 2012 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
carlb

Reply #6   Dec 6, 2012 8:13 am
I personally would not mix good gas in with  bad gas.  I would drain all of the gas out of the tank and fill it with new gas and stabil.
mkd55

Reply #7   Dec 6, 2012 9:39 am
i have a 1986 ariens 8 hp tecumseh that still starts first pull. the bowl has been off several times to clean the high speed jet ,retorqued some loose head bolts two seasons ago,and keep fresh gas with fuel conditioner  in it.the one most important thing iv'e learned with all my seasonal use gas powered engines is at the end of the season shut the fuel off and run the engine till it runs out of fuel.
borat

Reply #8   Dec 6, 2012 9:46 am
mkd55 wrote:
i have a 1986 ariens 8 hp tecumseh that still starts first pull. the bowl has been off several times to clean the high speed jet ,retorqued some loose head bolts two seasons ago,and keep fresh gas with fuel conditioner  in it.the one most important thing iv'e learned with all my seasonal use gas powered engines is at the end of the season shut the fuel off and run the engine till it runs out of fuel.

Agree entirely with the above.  That's what I do.

I have no issues mixing old gas with new gas if the old fuel isn't too degraded.  However, if I do, I run the machine to burn the blend off right away then add more fresh fuel.

Alway drain the tank and run the carb dry for storage purposes. 
slinger

Reply #9   Dec 12, 2012 8:56 am
newtonian wrote:
I was negligent last year and never put my new 11.5HP Platinum Ariens into storage.  It sat with 1/2 tank of fuel from the dealer, was never used during that remarkable winter and now.... when I tried starting it not a thing happened.  The motor turned over without a sputter.

Having learned a few things from reading this board (thank you) I found the carb and cleaned out the not surprisingly clogged jet with a single strand of wire from lamp cord.  The bottom of the bowl was clean, I reused the bowl gaskets tightening things enough that it didn't leak.  I didn't want to overdo it.  It started immediatly

I then added 1/2 tank of fresh gas to the 1/2 tank of old gas that came with it, some Stabil, and inflated the tires to 18PSI.

Some questions:
1)  Should I check on or clean anything else? 

2)  Is there a service manual for the engine?  Just looking at it, I didn't know which cover to remove to find the carb and still don't know which cover the spark plug is hiding under.  I see generic instructions for operating the engine, but not for service.

3)  The inside of the bowl was uniform all around, and there's a tail of sorts molded into the exterior underside.  Does it matter which direction it's installed?  I know with the older carbs it does, but it didn't seem to matter with this one.

Of interest, I had an older 9526DLE stored next to it, under similar circumstances, and it started instantly. 

I've got the same model that you have.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is an 1150 series B&S polar force motor which means 11.5 ft/lbs of torque, NOT 11.5 hp.  Actual hp rating for this motor is in the 8.5 range, give or take.  This is still very good compared to many new 24" 2 stage machines that are using 179 & 208cc engines (around 5.5hp & 6.5hp).   At least the 250cc B&S Polar Force has ball bearings on the crankshaft main journals as opposed to sleeve bearings.  The latest Polar Force also has a cast iron cylinder sleeve...not sure if this is new or if it has always been there.  Perhaps Snowmann can verify when these extra features came into play on Polar Force motors. 

specialkkl

Reply #10   Dec 16, 2012 7:22 pm
I found some gas in my area that does not have ethanol. That solves a lot of problems. I believe the web site is pure-gas.org. I buy 1 gallon at a time and put some stabil and seafoam in it immediately. Also shut the fuel off and let the carb run dry when done. A fuel filter wont stop gas from going bad and turning to varnish in the carb. Also that ethanol starts to separate and go bad immediately.
borat

Reply #11   Dec 16, 2012 8:28 pm
specialkkl wrote:
I found some gas in my area that does not have ethanol. That solves a lot of problems. I believe the web site is pure-gas.org. I buy 1 gallon at a time and put some stabil and seafoam in it immediately. Also shut the fuel off and let the carb run dry when done. A fuel filter wont stop gas from going bad and turning to varnish in the carb. Also that ethanol starts to separate and go bad immediately.

Go bad immediately?

Please.....  That's completely inaccurate and totally misleading.  

We've got ethanol in our gas and I've never had a problem with it,  even if I store it for six months or more over winter with no snake oil in it.   An air-tight container is all I use.   
specialkkl

Reply #12   Dec 16, 2012 9:20 pm
Tell me how long it waits then. American petroleum institute recommends not storing longer than season to season. Shops love the ethanol for all the problems it causes.
borat

Reply #13   Dec 16, 2012 10:03 pm
specialkkl wrote:
Tell me how long it waits then. American petroleum institute recommends not storing longer than season to season. Shops love the ethanol for all the problems it causes.

As I've stated, I've never had a problem with ethanol fuel and you can rest assured that there are many millions of others who share the same experience as I. 

If the fuel was as bad as you say it is, the streets would be clogged with dead vehicles left, right and center as soon as they left the service station.  If you look around, you'll see that there are far more vehicles running just fine than there are dead ones on the side of the road whose demise was from ethanol poisoning.   When was the last time you saw a vehicle  disabled as a result of ethanol in the fuel? 

We've had ethanol in our fuel for many years just to deal with our long, cold winters.  We'd likely be in more difficulty without it rather than with it.  From my experience, any problems I've had with fuel, is water/debris in the gasoline bought directly from a service station.  Bad gas isn't necessarily caused by ethanol.  I'm not debating whether or not that ethanol in the fuel may have negative effects on various materials within some carbs and fuel systems.  However, I've never had a problem with that either. 

It appears to me that whenever anyone has a fuel related issue, the first thing they blame it on is ethanol in the fuel.  In reality, it's probably contaminated fuel. 
Replies: 4 - 13 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42