Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replaced Standard Snowblower Carburetor with Adjustable Type

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Replaced Standard Snowblower Carburetor with Adjustable Type
Original Message   Feb 2, 2005 4:47 pm

I had reservations about doing this on a new snowblower, but I have to tell you, this engine runs even smoother than it did before.  After the new carb was installed, I figured it didn't need to be started using full throttle as you normally would have to do.  After two hits of the primer, I raised the throttle to just over the idle position, and it started on the first pull.  In fact, it was much easier to warm up with the modified carb than it was with the original one.  I found I didn't have to manipulate the choke settings to keep it running as I did before. 

After a good warm-up, I raised the throttle to maximum and adjusted the high-speed main fuel mixture.  When the engine smoothed out, I lowered the engine speed to the idle position, only to find it was idling at 1,550 RPM's.  Amazing, because the EPA carburetor had to idle at 2,300 RPM's.  I did a fine adjustment to the low-speed mixture until it was at its smoothest.  What was most obvious to me was just how smooth it ran at any speed.  Normally there was just enough vibration that it would translate to the very long chute on this snowblower, but not anymore.  Aside from the noise these snowblowers make when running, if you grabbed the handle bars, you were only able to detect the slightest amount of vibration.

The only surprise I did notice was that after the carburetor was fully set, the maximum engine speed had increased to 3,500 RPM's.  I did make a minor adjustment to the governor to bring the speed back down to 3,400 RPMs, what it was set at prior to all of this.  Having to lower the governor setting, made it apparent to me just how much power gets robbed from the EPA carbs.  I suppose I have to look at it as the engine having that much more power available when the automatic governor kicks in when under a heavy load.  I'll put this machine up against a 10 hp snowblower any day of the week.

Richie
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Replaced Standard Snowblower Carburetor with Adjustable Type
Reply #20   Feb 3, 2005 8:12 pm
Tom,

Tim said the part number is, 632334A for the carburetor.  This model is standard on 8-10hp Tecumseh snowblower engines and is adjustable.  Rebuilt they are $50.00 and brand new they are $74.00, at least these are his prices.  Purchasing them from a dealer they could be much more money.

Richie
robmints

Reply #21   Feb 3, 2005 8:22 pm
M and D for $78

Sounds like new for less than $80 is not that bad. But if I don't misunderstand, there might be a less expensive list of parts and refit into exsisting carb?
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #22   Feb 3, 2005 8:48 pm
robmints wrote:
M and D for $78

Sounds like new for less than $80 is not that bad. But if I don't misunderstand, there might be a less expensive list of parts and refit into exsisting carb?

Rob,

You are correct  If you locate the actual parts, it would cost just a few dollars to do the conversion.  If you have the specialized tools to change out the tube inside the carb, you could save yourself a good bit of money.  I myself didn't want to modify my original carb, so I went for a brand new one. 

Richie
robmints

Reply #23   Feb 3, 2005 9:18 pm
This page to start?

Please notice it carries the Stens brand.
robmints

Reply #24   Feb 3, 2005 10:18 pm
M and D was the first place I came across. They had a good online catalog. Never dealt with them. Know nothing about them.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #25   Feb 3, 2005 10:35 pm
Rob,

Definitely a great website for parts.  After a lot of digging around on that site, I was able to find the exact carburetor and exploded views for this adjustable carb I recently got my hands on.  I also printed out the pages showing all the part numbers and filed them for future use.  From the exploded views and part numbers, if you have an 8-10hp engine, you can reuse your carb bowl and just replace the fixed main jet assembly for the adjustable type.  If you don't already have the bowl drain and want it, you'd have to purchase a new bowl as well.  The only thing I don't see is this colored tube that sticks up into the throat.  The rebuild kit for this Tecumseh carburetor seems to include all the adjustable main jetting and gaskets. 

Richie
TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #26   Feb 4, 2005 6:38 am
Richie wrote:
Tom,

Tim said the part number is, 632334A for the carburetor.  This model is standard on 8-10hp Tecumseh snowblower engines and is adjustable.  Rebuilt they are $50.00 and brand new they are $74.00, at least these are his prices.  Purchasing them from a dealer they could be much more money.

Richie:

I am interested in a new carb.  I did not want anyone rebuilding my existing one in case it doesn't work out.  My carb is different on the Powerlite than the one you are talking about.  Toro lists the part number as 640086A. 

Do you have contact information I could use? 

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #27   Feb 4, 2005 6:42 am
Richie:

Finally checked my PMs.  Thanks for the info.

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
cw04

Reply #28   Oct 13, 2007 6:56 pm
1st,  This site is great - I just purchased a 926dle from someone moving south..  I also have a toro824 83ish,  thought it was time to upgrade.. When I brought the new blower home I could not stand how it surged all the time...  Did some surfing and found this site.. Replaced the carb today,  had to do some tinkering with parts off the original carb but it works like a champ... Idles soo quite now...

Are there any other changes I need to make? 

Anyone ever change the actual throttle position,  instead of having located on the engine I was thinking maybe moving it up near the shoot handle...

Thanks....

nibbler

Re: Changing the throttle position
Reply #29   Oct 14, 2007 9:03 pm
there's not much point in changing the throttle position, about the only time you don't have it on "Run" is when you are turning it off, the idle position hardly ever gets used. Its more of a gas on/off switch since the engine uses a governor to give you more power whenever you are under load.
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42