Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replaced Standard Snowblower Carburetor with Adjustable Type

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Replaced Standard Snowblower Carburetor with Adjustable Type
Original Message   Feb 2, 2005 4:47 pm

I had reservations about doing this on a new snowblower, but I have to tell you, this engine runs even smoother than it did before.  After the new carb was installed, I figured it didn't need to be started using full throttle as you normally would have to do.  After two hits of the primer, I raised the throttle to just over the idle position, and it started on the first pull.  In fact, it was much easier to warm up with the modified carb than it was with the original one.  I found I didn't have to manipulate the choke settings to keep it running as I did before. 

After a good warm-up, I raised the throttle to maximum and adjusted the high-speed main fuel mixture.  When the engine smoothed out, I lowered the engine speed to the idle position, only to find it was idling at 1,550 RPM's.  Amazing, because the EPA carburetor had to idle at 2,300 RPM's.  I did a fine adjustment to the low-speed mixture until it was at its smoothest.  What was most obvious to me was just how smooth it ran at any speed.  Normally there was just enough vibration that it would translate to the very long chute on this snowblower, but not anymore.  Aside from the noise these snowblowers make when running, if you grabbed the handle bars, you were only able to detect the slightest amount of vibration.

The only surprise I did notice was that after the carburetor was fully set, the maximum engine speed had increased to 3,500 RPM's.  I did make a minor adjustment to the governor to bring the speed back down to 3,400 RPMs, what it was set at prior to all of this.  Having to lower the governor setting, made it apparent to me just how much power gets robbed from the EPA carbs.  I suppose I have to look at it as the engine having that much more power available when the automatic governor kicks in when under a heavy load.  I'll put this machine up against a 10 hp snowblower any day of the week.

Richie
Replies: 1 - 29 of 29View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Replaced Standard Snowblower Carburetor with Adjustable Type
Reply #1   Feb 2, 2005 4:56 pm
Richie, sounds like you hit oil sir! Glad to hear your mod worked better!  
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #2   Feb 2, 2005 5:03 pm
Makes me interested in trying that on my Tecumseh 11.5.  I understand the nessesity for EPA compliance, but the non-adjustable carbs are junk IMHO.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #3   Feb 2, 2005 5:21 pm

Thanks Marshall.  I ran the thing for an hour and it was just fantastic.  I would have preferred making the carb adjustment at the temperature that I'd most likely be using the machine in rather than this 36 degrees.  If we get some cold temps, I'll be sure to check it again.  There was also no spitting and surging as it did the last time I used it, which was the reason I felt the need to experiment like this.  After the hour it ran, there was also no sign of that mayonnaise stuff on the dipstick, nor was the breather tube spitting any.  Again, I'd have to see if this was also caused by the 14 degree temperatures when I experienced all of this.

MountainMan, If you have an 11.5 hp engine, I would imagine it is an OHV.  If you've had any of the problems I was experiencing with my de-rated 9 hp Tecumseh, this will cure them.  I too understand the importance of the EPA carburetors, however, all of our cars have tons of anti pollution devices on them, yet they run great.  What has been done to OPE carbs must be a cheap quick fix because these engines should not be this finicky or run so badly.  This is the reason I did what I did and I intend to leave it this way. If you modify yours, let us know how you make out.

Richie
Marshall

Reply #4   Feb 2, 2005 5:26 pm
Richie, where did you find the carb and for how much $?
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #5   Feb 2, 2005 5:34 pm
Way to go Rich. You didn't waste much time installing that puppy,

Marc

This message was modified Feb 2, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #6   Feb 2, 2005 5:42 pm
Marshall wrote:
Richie, where did you find the carb and for how much $?

Yes richie, its a OHV model. Its new, so I hesitate till its out of waranty. But the rough running, and lousy idle are bothersome. I am a huge advocate that if Ariens put a Honda or B&S Snow-Tech on its Pro Series, id be there.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
spottedpony

Reply #7   Feb 2, 2005 6:10 pm
this sort of goes hand in hand with thoughts i had way back in the 70's when we started seeing air pollution controls on automobiles. fuel milage decreased on comparable engine models,  in some cases by half. so if fuel economy suffered how can they be less polluting? (to me) it stands to reason the cleaner they burn, and the better they run, be it an auto or any thing else with an internal combustion engine, the less pollution is left to be pumped into the atmosphere.  case in point, years ago i had an old ford with the 289, finally wore the engine out and had to replace it with a 302 with all the pollution controls on it. milage dropped from 20 to 11 mpg. it doesnt stand to reason with that increase in fuel consumption it would be less polluting? and i think the same holds true with power equipment engines, keep em tuned, and adjusted they burn far cleaner than the so called "clean burning" setups.  at least my experiences have been they do use less fuel.

Richie, if you've kept any track of fuel usage before the carb change, i think we'd all be interested to hear about any differences in fuel consumption after the swap. im betting it'll use less fuel while performing better.

AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #8   Feb 2, 2005 6:15 pm
If a dealer mechanic had his hands on this machine, would it be plainly obvious that he was looking at a replacement carb, not the original?  Or does it look exactly alike? I'm pleased to hear your modification was successful. I'm just wondering if at some later date a dealer might try to hassle you over a warranty claim or give you some other grief because the carb was not the original.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #9   Feb 2, 2005 6:49 pm
I paid $74 for it because I didn't want to modify my original carburetor, which is cleaned out now and storaged.  However, this same carb rebuilt has gone for more than what I paid for this brand new one.  It is a precise duplicate in every way except that instead of having the non-adjustable main under the bowl, it has the adjustable screw type.  The bowl drain valve is still there.  Also, if somehow you were able to look down the throat of the carb, the "green" colored plastic jet is now brass.  Marc (MMl4) put me onto this person, thank you Marc.  This carb dealer knew exactly what was on my mind and had no problem accommodating me.  I'd also have to say that due to the carburetor box enclosure, unless you were on your knees and looking up under the carb, you would have no idea I did this.  If the machine requires a warranty repair, I'll deal with it at that time.  For now, I have a snowblower that runs much superior to what it was originally, and at every stage of RPM, and without a doubt, more available power.  As for fuel consumption, honestly, I really didn't notice it used much at all before.  If I notice it uses more or less, I'll be sure you let you all know.   

Richie
TheKneebiter

Reply #10   Feb 2, 2005 7:20 pm
can you give me the dealers number or website ? i would like to get a carb for a couple of my ope's.. thanks
This message was modified Feb 2, 2005 by TheKneebiter

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #11   Feb 2, 2005 7:41 pm
Whoooo.... Hoooo.... !

Underground market for OPE carbs !   

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Marshall

Reply #12   Feb 2, 2005 7:45 pm
Shhh, don't tell the carb Police!
nibbler

Reply #13   Feb 2, 2005 7:55 pm
spottedpony wrote:

Richie, if you've kept any track of fuel usage before the carb change, i think we'd all be interested to hear about any differences in fuel consumption after the swap. im betting it'll use less fuel while performing better.

I find that  gas consumption is more a measure of how hard I'm working the engine. The second last snow fall we had was about 20cm ( 8in) of light fluffy stuff. I went through about 20 driveway's and did 1 refill. By the time I got back to my place I still had about 1/2 tank. The previous time had been about 15cm ( 5in) of wet stuff with some ice. I went through 3 tanks and limped home on the fourth with less than 1/4 of a tank left. In the first case the engine hardly ever sounded like it was working. In the second case it was giving its lowed ptched "battle cry" and digging in to do a lot of heavy lifting particulary at EOD..
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #14   Feb 2, 2005 8:28 pm
Hi Nibbler,

I agree with you about fuel consumption being directly related to how hard these machines work.  I also know exactly what that "under load" sound is that you mentioned, no doubt when the automatic governor is trying to do its job.  The only time this machine made that noise was when I did my EOD with about 20"+ left by the snow plows.  Then again, the engine almost died causing me to have to yank back on a 250 lb. machine.  Shortly after that is when the engine started surging, which really ticked me off.  At least today,  when I tested the engine with the new carb under load in 6" or 7" of wet snow, it never came close to putting the machine under a load.  My old Toro with the 5 hp engine would have easily given up..LOL.  I'll be sure to see if I notice a fuel difference as you and SpottedPony have suggested. 

Richie
Majorxlr8n

Reply #15   Feb 3, 2005 12:45 am
How about sharing the new carb part number so others can perform the swap?  Sounds like there is interest...

Marty

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #16   Feb 3, 2005 7:04 am
Majorxlr8n wrote:
How about sharing the new carb part number so others can perform the swap?  Sounds like there is interest...

The carburetor is on the machine and the carb box is installed and would be difficult to try to get a part number off at this time.  I will look it over and see if I can find any.  I didn't bother writing things like that down because I assumed nobody would go to such lengths as I have to get their OPE running well.  Boy was I presumptuous on that one     It was also my understanding this carburetor was a custom thing and obviously not something off the shelf.  Other than the fact it is the same carb designed for an 8 -10 HP engine, the jetting can't be stock.  What I can tell you is that the carb looked precisely as my original.  My "turn knob" choke linkage just screwed right to it.  Most importantly, I have no clue what jetting is in this thing, that's something I won't be able to determine.  The original carb had a main jet that had a green plastic tube that you could see extending into the throat of the carb, this one has a brass one.  

If you can get the jetting part numbers, you would be able to make the switch much cheaper than I did.  I myself didn't want to modify my original carb in any way, rather just get a brand new reverted one.     

This message was modified Feb 3, 2005 by Richie

Richie
TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #17   Feb 3, 2005 5:49 pm
Richie:

Since it is custom do all the replacement/rebuild parts need to come from your contact?

I have a Powerlite that cycles with the idle.  How would I determine if your contact has something where the idle mixture can be adjusted?

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
robmints

Reply #18   Feb 3, 2005 7:37 pm
M and D

They have mucho stuff. Maybe call and ask.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #19   Feb 3, 2005 7:51 pm
TomP wrote:
Richie:

Since it is custom do all the replacement/rebuild parts need to come from your contact?

I have a Powerlite that cycles with the idle.  How would I determine if your contact has something where the idle mixture can be adjusted?

Hi there Tom,

Until actual part numbers can be determined, I'd have to say yes to your question.  Basically, its the same carburetor, only the bowl and adjustable main nozzle jetting are from a pre-EPA design.  For instance, my original EPA carb bowl had the high speed main non-adjustable jet installed, which is that large nut that holds the bowl to the bottom of the carburetor.  On the new one, that part now has a fully adjustable jet (screw on a spring) installed. This is the rich/lean high speed adjustment that makes all the difference. 

That adjustment screw or "main nozzle" may actually be a standard size on most larger engines, but there is also a a second part to it, a colored tube (green colored on my EPA carb) sticking up into the throat of the carb held in place by two O-ring. The new carb has a brass tube.  I think the best thing to do is contact this person and maybe ask him for a kit to revert your carb, or you can send him your carb and have him do it.  I believe he charges $50.00 to boil out the carb and revert it.  In effect, you'll be getting a new carb back in your hands.

There is a special tool required to install and set these components properly.  Better yet, Snowshoveler (Chris) has all the part numbers at his place of work.  Perhaps he maybe he can determine and order exactly what you need rather than pay someone $50.00 to recondition your carburetor.  I also have a carburetor left over from my 25 year old snowblower.  It too had a Tecumseh engine.  The main nozzle adjustment screw looked exactly like the one on my new carburetor, so these parts are readily available.  In fact, this 25 year old carb was an exact duplicate to my EPA and new reverted carb externally, with the exception that this 25 year old carb had no screw recessed to accept the two screws that hold the metal carb box to it.  It doesn't look like Tecumseh does too much to these carburetors except maybe vary some of the linkages. 

Richie
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #20   Feb 3, 2005 8:12 pm
Tom,

Tim said the part number is, 632334A for the carburetor.  This model is standard on 8-10hp Tecumseh snowblower engines and is adjustable.  Rebuilt they are $50.00 and brand new they are $74.00, at least these are his prices.  Purchasing them from a dealer they could be much more money.

Richie
robmints

Reply #21   Feb 3, 2005 8:22 pm
M and D for $78

Sounds like new for less than $80 is not that bad. But if I don't misunderstand, there might be a less expensive list of parts and refit into exsisting carb?
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #22   Feb 3, 2005 8:48 pm
robmints wrote:
M and D for $78

Sounds like new for less than $80 is not that bad. But if I don't misunderstand, there might be a less expensive list of parts and refit into exsisting carb?

Rob,

You are correct  If you locate the actual parts, it would cost just a few dollars to do the conversion.  If you have the specialized tools to change out the tube inside the carb, you could save yourself a good bit of money.  I myself didn't want to modify my original carb, so I went for a brand new one. 

Richie
robmints

Reply #23   Feb 3, 2005 9:18 pm
This page to start?

Please notice it carries the Stens brand.
robmints

Reply #24   Feb 3, 2005 10:18 pm
M and D was the first place I came across. They had a good online catalog. Never dealt with them. Know nothing about them.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #25   Feb 3, 2005 10:35 pm
Rob,

Definitely a great website for parts.  After a lot of digging around on that site, I was able to find the exact carburetor and exploded views for this adjustable carb I recently got my hands on.  I also printed out the pages showing all the part numbers and filed them for future use.  From the exploded views and part numbers, if you have an 8-10hp engine, you can reuse your carb bowl and just replace the fixed main jet assembly for the adjustable type.  If you don't already have the bowl drain and want it, you'd have to purchase a new bowl as well.  The only thing I don't see is this colored tube that sticks up into the throat.  The rebuild kit for this Tecumseh carburetor seems to include all the adjustable main jetting and gaskets. 

Richie
TomP

Reply #26   Feb 4, 2005 6:38 am
Richie wrote:
Tom,

Tim said the part number is, 632334A for the carburetor.  This model is standard on 8-10hp Tecumseh snowblower engines and is adjustable.  Rebuilt they are $50.00 and brand new they are $74.00, at least these are his prices.  Purchasing them from a dealer they could be much more money.

Richie:

I am interested in a new carb.  I did not want anyone rebuilding my existing one in case it doesn't work out.  My carb is different on the Powerlite than the one you are talking about.  Toro lists the part number as 640086A. 

Do you have contact information I could use? 

Snow Team:

TomP

Reply #27   Feb 4, 2005 6:42 am
Richie:

Finally checked my PMs.  Thanks for the info.

Snow Team:

cw04

Reply #28   Oct 13, 2007 6:56 pm
1st,  This site is great - I just purchased a 926dle from someone moving south..  I also have a toro824 83ish,  thought it was time to upgrade.. When I brought the new blower home I could not stand how it surged all the time...  Did some surfing and found this site.. Replaced the carb today,  had to do some tinkering with parts off the original carb but it works like a champ... Idles soo quite now...

Are there any other changes I need to make? 

Anyone ever change the actual throttle position,  instead of having located on the engine I was thinking maybe moving it up near the shoot handle...

Thanks....

nibbler

Re: Changing the throttle position
Reply #29   Oct 14, 2007 9:03 pm
there's not much point in changing the throttle position, about the only time you don't have it on "Run" is when you are turning it off, the idle position hardly ever gets used. Its more of a gas on/off switch since the engine uses a governor to give you more power whenever you are under load.
Replies: 1 - 29 of 29View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42