Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Mantis tiller or Honda FG100?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mrmom

Mantis tiller or Honda FG100?
Original Message   Feb 2, 2005 1:27 pm
Ok folks, anyone have any comments, advice, suggestions or opinions between the two?

This spring I plan to landscape the front yard and am looking to put in flower beds, a small hedge along the front walkway and a few plants here and there. Aside from the usual topsoil and mulch, I would also like to till the areas where the new plants are going in not just to break the soil but to mix in some topsoil as well. Rather than pay some guy oodles of money, I figured I'd do it myself. So far, I have narrowed the search for a tiller down to two: a Mantis tiller with the Honda engine or the Honda FG100. I don't want a big regular tiller as we have no space for it and figured a small one could be used in case I get into that 'let's plant veggies' mood.

I would like to hear from folks who have used or seen these machines in action. Their prices are not that far apart and based on their website, the tines seem to be different and supposedly make a difference.

Thanks.

Replies: 1 - 15 of 15View as Outline
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Re: Mantis tiller or Honda FG100?
Reply #1   Feb 2, 2005 1:32 pm
I've used a mantis w/o the honda motor- stout little bugger for sure.  SHould do your job with ease.  My father in law gave me his little green craftsman cultivator model 29252, and it too is a nice little machine.  If your quick and lucky, you can sometimes catch the craftsman on sale- but it's more of a pure tiller than the mantis, it doesn't have any attachments.  I like the tough little thing.  here's a pic.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
lland

Reply #2   Feb 2, 2005 3:43 pm
You asked, so here goes...

Never tried the Honda tiller but I have a Mantis.  It's has the little two cycle Echo engine and is without a doubt the most impressive piece of OPE I have ever owned or operated.  Luckily, I live near the Mantis factory and went to their showroom.  I bought a "reconditioned" unit for a pretty decent savings over new.  For all I know, it could have been new except for the fact that it came in a box marked "reconditioned" (or refurbushed).  If you go with the Mantis and order from them, ask if they have any reconditioned units.  I see no downside as they have the same factory warranty and satisfaction guarantee as a new unit.

It was easy to put together, and started easily with just a couple of pulls.  Last year I put in a bunch of paver walks and a patio, and built about 1,800 square feet of planting beds where I distributed the dirt excavated for the pavers.  Once I got them relativley smooth, I used the Mantis to get them ready for planting.  That little machine is an absolute workhorse.  The serpentine tine design is unique to Mantis (so they say) and really does cut down into the the dirt and churn it up well (the Honda FG100 has "normal" tiller shaped tines).  It'll go down about nine inches on it's own but if you play around in one spot, you can get it to dig a little deeper.  On hard turf, it takes a bit to get started but once it does, it cuts that up pretty well too.  You just have to move a bit slower.

While digging, it would ocasionally hit a rock.  If the rock was small, say up to six inches around, it would usually just toss it aside and keep on going.  Once in a while a rock would get caught in the tines.  Stop the machine, pull one pin, pull off the tines to clear the rock, and put it back together.  About fifteen seconds.  If it hit a really big rock, it would just bounce off it and as before, just keep on going.  It did manage to dig up a couple of pretty big stones though.  The tines have a lifetime guarantee which I don't believe Mantis will ever have to honor.  They appear to be pretty indestructable.

Two things I didn't like:

1.     The throttle comes off the back of the handlebar and feels "backward" as you control it with your pinkie.  Not a big deal, I would just prefer to use my index finger.

2.     It vibrates a LOT.  Wearing gloves helped but I would need to take a break once in a while.  Maybe the Honda engine would be a bit smoother.  I considered the Honda powered version but they didn't have any that were reconditioned and the guy at the factory said that parts were very hard to get for them.  There's also the electric model which is probably pretty vibration free. The factory guy said the electric tillers really do perform as well as the gas versions but I didn't want to bother with extension cords (and having to replace all the ones I'd end up "tilling" like I did with my snowblower and low voltage lighting cable).

One final consideration.  It is small.  Don't expect to work the farm with it.  For me, the size was perfect.  It did what I needed it to do and was easy to control.  It looks like you are going to do almost exactly what I did so the Mantis would probalby be a very good choice.  And yes, it takes up very little space in the garage.  Another option is renting one but overall, it wasn't that expensive and I know I'll find uses for it through the years.

I bought mine mostly on the recommendation of a friend.  He's had one for close to fifteen years and until he lent it to his brother-in-law who ran it without mixing oil in the gas, has had to, in the fifteen years, clean the carburator once and replace the primer bulb.  Total cost of about $3.00.

Finally, with the one year satisfaction guarantee, you can't go wrong.  They will take it back, no questions asked (but I don't think you'd want to part with it).  I'm not sure you can do this with the Honda tiller.  There are also a number of attachments available should you want it to do more.  Mine came with the border/edger which works O.K. but not as smooth of a cut as my dedicated edger.

Hope this helps.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask but I think I've pretty much said all I can think of.

Good luck.  They are both good machines and I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

LL

This message was modified Feb 2, 2005 by lland

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #3   Feb 2, 2005 7:08 pm
Hi mrmom...

I owned/operated several rear-tine tillers over the years... my absolute top pick here is the BCS brand...

Two+ years ago... I moved... no tiller... much smaller garden/yard... so I researched the mini's...
Mantis... Honda FG100... + a couple other mini-tillers...

Chose the Honda primarily because of it's EZ starting 4-stroke engine... plus better low-rpm torque...
Read tooooo.... many issues re. hard-starting the Mantis's 2-stroke... never saw the Mantis/Honda engine combo...

Now... a Mantis with the Honda 4-stroke... seems like it might be my top pick... have to check other variables...

My Honda usually starts 1-pull... 2 the most... hot or cold... even after it sat out the winter filled with PRI-G stabilized fuel...
Caution... let it sit the 1st winter with fuel in it... with Stabil stabilizer... carburator had to be replaced !

I am amazed/surprized how the mini-tiller grinds up the soil... grass... !
Rock jambs are a pain to remove... although I never thought of removing the pin/tines as mentioned...

Be aware... working a front tine mini tiller for any lenght of time will give the operator one heck of an upper-body workout !
Felt for days...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

nibbler

Reply #4   Feb 2, 2005 8:11 pm
I bought a used Mantis from Home Depot at one of their rental sales so you know it got kicked around before I got it. Its been running fine for two years now. I use it to till the back garden and just last summer to till grass into a compost area I started. Works great. Stuff like roots do wrap around the tines. Being able to easily pull the tines off can be a great help. I wear ear protection, gloves and long pants beacause its a powerful little beast and it can kick up the dirt.
mrmom

Reply #5   Feb 3, 2005 10:09 am
Wow! Great responses so far. All very informative. So far at this point it seem to be  a toss up but I am leaning more towards the Honda due to local dealer support. Best though would be to take both for a spin. The amount of vibration will definitely be an issue as I do not want to end up with carpal tunnel problems down the road. We'll see....
lland

Reply #6   Feb 3, 2005 4:41 pm
Well, as luck would have it, I get home today and in the mail is the new issue of Consumer Reports and on page 45 is an article "Mini Tillers - More Power, Less Effort."

Now, a lot of people here (and other places) will argue that Consumer Reports isn't worth the paper it's printed on but I beg to differ.  I find the publication to be very objective, reasonably fair, and as for reliability ratings, statistically accurate.  Most nay sayers are usually people who feel insulted when something they own doesn't get the highest rating and badmouth CR.

To get to the point, the Honda FG100 is the highest rated machine by far.  It perormed best in Tilling, Sod Busting, Weeding, Starting, and tied with  a few others in Ease of Use.  The Mantis, my hero, was in the middle of the pack.  I still stand by my review but I'll have to say, if I were to buy today, I'd take a good long look at the Honda (or the Honda powered Mantis which was not the one they tested).

They also pointed out one thing about the electric tillers I never considered and that's you could easily drag the cord over small, delicate plants, causing unnecessary damage.

So there you have it...an unbiased opinion...

LL

Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
mrmom

Reply #7   Feb 3, 2005 6:23 pm
Thanks for the heads-up on the Consumer Reports article. I'll have to give my cousin a call to borrow his issue. In the meantime I came across this today:

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID5004?mid=2004092343518&mime=asc

Sweet!! Looks like Honda just bumped things up a notch. BAM!!!!!

lland

Reply #8   Feb 3, 2005 8:00 pm
The Consumer Reports article had FG110 noted in perenthesis.  I didn't know what they were referring to.  Now I do, thanks.

LL

Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #9   Feb 4, 2005 8:26 pm
I just saw this on E-bay a little while ago, if anyones interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4355119962&ssPageName=ADME:B:WN:US:202

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
mrmom

Reply #10   Feb 4, 2005 10:00 pm
Thanks Vangellis but am looking for a four cycle one as all our other OPE are such. Saw several FG100s on Ebay but am leaning now towards the FG110 after reading about it. It may be pricey but you only cry once.
uc113

Reply #11   Feb 8, 2005 12:04 am
I have owned a Mantis for quite a few years now.  I have never had a problem with it and can recommend it very highly.  IT does a great job, easy to use, and is by far the best money I have ever spent on a piece of equipment.  To give you an idea, I spent $199 when I purchase dit from a local dealer .  You couldn't even think of buying one at that price today.  I don't think you could go wrong or be unhappy with this little workhorse.
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #12   Feb 8, 2005 5:54 am
Okay I'm starting to think I'm a broken record.

We also sell the Mantis tillers.  They are an awesome piece of OPE for the size of them.  With the new easy start system - a 4 year old child could start it - not that you'd want them to.  We have seen them at varies stages through their life and the life time warranty on the tines does come in handy when the people life on a rock!

Well gotta get ready for work.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #13   Feb 8, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi MM

I've had the MS-55 Yard-boss from Stihl for three years now and my wife and I love it. Not pushing the Stihl just commenting on how versital these little workhorses are. We hardly ever use the old fasioned hoe anymore. I would recommend getting both the spike and the bolo tines if avalible for the machine that you prefer. The bolo tines work great in the garden once it has been tilled up.

Tom

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
susancarol

Reply #14   Jan 14, 2006 10:28 pm
Consumer Reports claims Honda FG110 is the best choice. From scores of poor, fair, good, very good  and excellent, it was excellent. This includes tilling, sod busting, weeding and starting. Price is $325.00, from their source. Mantis rated good, but tilling, sod busting, weeding and starting was only a good rating, @ $300.00. I copied this paragraph from the CR web site:  "Four-stroke engine. These typically start with fewer pulls and deliver more power at lower speeds. They also produce fewer emissions than two-strokes and require no fuel-mixing. Found on the four top-scoring gas models." Honda is four stroke, Mantis is two. I think the convenience of not mixing oil and gas is well worth thinking about getting a Honda.

Susan

racingpast

A parts replacer is not a mechanic!

A good mechanic is a good find indeed!

Purchase from those who service what they sell & actually know what they are doing.

Reply #15   Jan 18, 2006 11:56 am
Just for everyone's information...

Honda's FG100A tiller has been updated to a new model, the FG110.

Most noteworthy among several improvements is the transmission. The new machine has a much larger & robust pinion and worm gear in the transmission. It also has a front bumper, a thoughtful touch, that can also be used as a lifting/carrying handle.

Another improvement involves the tines. The FG110 has 6 blades on each tine, as opposed to the 4 blade design of the FG100A. This improvement results in 50% more "bites" per revolution of the tine.   

Replies: 1 - 15 of 15View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42