Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 421, Gas in carb or not?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
CharlesW

Toro 421, Gas in carb or not?
Original Message   Feb 7, 2011 11:38 am
Since I have installed a shut-off valve in the gas line of my Toro 421, I had a question about how best to use it.

If it is an ethanol problem, I shouldn't have to worry since I don't use ethanol.
If it is not ethanol related and is a manufacturing defect with the float needle, my shut-off valve should prevent the flooding of either my garage floor or the crankcase of the engine.
Bear with me.
Would it be better to run the machine after I close off the gas supply until it dies?
If I do that, the needle and seat won't be immersed in gasoline for days at a time which could be accelerating the failure of the plating on the needle.
As you have probably figured out, it's been a long winter for me and I spend too much time thinking.
This message was modified Feb 7, 2011 by CharlesW
Replies: 17 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Re: Toro 421, Gas in carb or not?
Reply #17   Feb 9, 2011 10:55 am
Well...I replaced a steel shutoff valve on my daughters MTD blower and it only cost a couple bucks or so for a plastic replacement.  The steel valve was just a hunk of rust at that point (bottom of the tank - where all the water collects).  Given that a plastic valve is probably cheaper to make than a steel valve, and will not rust, I thinkc it speaks to the intelligence of some of the engineers who design these things.
This message was modified Feb 9, 2011 by Dr_Woof

trouts2

Re: Toro 421, Gas in carb or not?
Reply #18   Feb 9, 2011 12:21 pm
mml4 wrote:
My Pleasure-Did you put one in a 2450 or one of the newer 221or421 units?

Marc

The filter went in a "new" never used 2002 2450 I picked up a few months ago.  That cutout was perfect.   The machine has a slight gas leak which I never noticed until I put the machine in the porch.  I called Toro Toro and found it was on the tank recall list.  I checked with the local dealer and will get a new tank installed when the weather turns. 

I'm usually working on two stages and always looking to plant a shutoff or filter.  Last year at the beginning of the season I picked up a 25 pack of the red inline Briggs filters.  I've only planted a handfull though.  There's no room on many machines. 

Replies: 17 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42