Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need some opinions please

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
estroner

Need some opinions please
Original Message   Nov 29, 2010 2:29 pm
I am looking at replacing a 25 year old snow blower. I live in Iowa and have a driveway that measures roughly 70X30. I do get some nice drifting, last year over the bed of my old truck, and some nice piles at the end of the drive. I am looking at the Toro Power Max 2-Stage 26 in. Snow Blower and the Ariens Deluxe 2-Stage 28 in. Snow Blower. They are the same price so I am not really sure which one to buy. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies: 29 - 38 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
shiva916

Re: Need some opinions please
Reply #29   Jan 15, 2011 8:06 pm
trouts2 wrote:
 >>the OP is looking in the low $1k price range

I think the original poster is long gone and the thread done.

Trouts, I agree that likely the OP is long gone and has likely made a purchase by now but I was just getting commenting on the issue that someone asks a question about certain types of machines they are thinking of and someone usually responds with "Honda's rule and are awesome" or something along those lines. No doubt they are great machines and I would like to have one but I don't think that they are the best solution to everyone's situation.

I must admit that prior to buying my Ariens I cruised these forums looking for advice and suggestions from prior posts and that helped me in purchase. For one, prior to checking out the Ariens line at HD, I was pretty unfamiliar with them and if someone asked me what type of snow blower they should buy I would have likely said go to sears and get a craftsman. I do see quite a lot of them around and have to admit I owned one myself, but I guess thats called being unknowledgeable in a subject. I think that there are some very experienced people on this forum with a great deal of worthwhile opinions and smarts about OPE, and then there are others like myself that are just trying to get some help and offer some assistance where possible. While I am not a wiz with snow blowers I do know a little about small engines and tinkering around is a bit of a hobby, so I may not be in a position to offer an opinion on every thread in here, but it gets a little old with people just throwing 2cents in about Honda, Yamaha, etc when a person like me may not be able to devote $2k + to a machine that only gets used a few times a year depending on where you live. This is not to say that the red and blue claims may not be without merit but my opinion is that they may be machines better to suited to someone elses need. It's kind of like going to a car forum and asking about a corolla or a civic and the only answer you get is...BMW is the ultimate driving machine.

Just my 2cents

MN_Runner

Reply #30   Jan 15, 2011 8:19 pm
Borat,

How about a Yamaha single stage?  It is just too bad Yamaha does not make one as you would buy one in a heart beat.  Honda Yukios might be a good choice.

tkrotchko

Reply #31   Jan 15, 2011 8:39 pm
Incidentally, the "equivalent Honda" I mentioned is about $6,600 US list. I suspect the high price has a lot more to do with why they don't import it. As is, my Honda dealer doesn't stock any tracked models, and will only stock the 928 because that's about the top of the market for a snowblower in the United States. In Japan, if you need a snowblower, you're a government agency, business owner or you're extremely wealthy; my impression is that owning a couple acres isn't very common in Japan, but I think it is quite common in the United States, so the need for any snowblower is very small in that country (despite the heavy snows).
MN_Runner

Reply #32   Jan 15, 2011 8:48 pm
shiva,

Just to honor you, I will neither talk about Honda not Yamaha for the remainder of the day.  I like to hear more about your snowblower experiences (all aspects good, ugly and bad).

Paul7

Reply #33   Jan 15, 2011 8:49 pm
tkrotchko wrote:
http://www.honda.co.jp/snow/products/hss970i_1170i.html

That's the Honda equivalent.

Actually I don't think that one is equivalent to anything sold in North America by either company.  The hybrid Hondas have the easy turn feature.
Paul7

Reply #34   Jan 15, 2011 8:51 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Borat,

How about a Yamaha single stage?  It is just too bad Yamaha does not make one as you would buy one in a heart beat.  Honda Yukios might be a good choice.

This is as close as they come....only in Japan of course.

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/lineup/yu240/operation/

trouts2

Reply #35   Jan 15, 2011 9:06 pm
Shiva916. 

I have not noticed stepping up so much.  Maybe I'm missing it.  There is suggestions to stay clear of lower quality and pointing out the worth to "invest" in a better machine and why.  I don't see one brand particullary favored outside of a handfull of posters who post about their machine over all others.   

Many inquires are about A vs B and C or and often posts with a price cap.  Some posts stray but in general the bulk focus on the original question and bring info to the thread.   So you take an average and toss out the extreams in posts.  There will be answers to the left, right and on target.  

So the point you mentioned is somewhat valid and happens on all forums.  The overall postings have good info and plodding through the haze goes with the nature of forums. 

borat

Reply #36   Jan 15, 2011 9:07 pm
Paul7 wrote:

Not a single stage, but I'll take it!

Ever notice how clean the snow is in Japan?  Even the end of driveway snow is pristine! 
MN_Runner

Reply #37   Jan 15, 2011 9:09 pm
I wonder if the beautiful model is included with the blower purchase?
rubinew

Reply #38   Jan 15, 2011 9:34 pm
Paul7 wrote:

Wow, that little Yamaha actually thows the snow pretty far for the size!!!

Rest of the Thread:

As for comparing the Honda to Yamaha, up here in Canuck Land, we have access to both, and very equal models. The YS928J and the HS928TCD are very similar in size, function, and price.

I just found that there are a few extra Features with the Yamaha, that were not available on the Honda. Since Yamaha was gone from Canada for 15 years, and just came back last year, I suspect that Honda did what they want, with no competition in the High end market. I expect with Yamaha now back, we will see some changes to the offerings from Honda.'

It would actually be a good thing if Yamaha entered the U.S. market, it would likely push Honda to offer some of the other features they have. 

Then again, as someone pointed out, track drives may not be as popular in the U.S. and that Honda dealers hardly bring in the Track models. Yet in Saskatchewan, that is all the Honda Dealer brings in, is Track drives, no wheeled, you have to order it if you want one.

I don't even see a wheeled 2 stage offer from Yamaha, so that might be another reason they avoid the U.S. market, just speculation.

As far as what the OP needs, he did mention drifting, so if it is high, hard packed, and happens often, then a track drive may not be a stretch for him.  If it is rare, and mostly fallen snow, then likely several cheaper models will serve him well. I used a $900 MTD for 14 years, worked great in the city, at previous house. Now, I need track, and my wife wanted the battery start, and the HydroDrive, so here I am, with a Yamaha. If you try to get those features with other brands, you get very close to $3k, so it made sense to spend another $500 and get the Yamaha Quality. I know, that if I am not home, and my wife needs to use it, it will work, no fuss!!

Replies: 29 - 38 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42