Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow coming!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kellyinkc

Snow coming!!
Original Message   Jan 8, 2011 5:17 pm
Finally! Under a WSW with this from the NWS:
USING THE GARCIA METHOD WHICH LOOKS AT 700 MB MOISTURE ADVECTION FOR SNOW AMOUNTS…THERE COULD BE 3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW DURING A 12 HOUR PERIOD. WITH THE EVENT EXPECTED TO LAST ABOUT 24 HOURS…SNOW AMOUNTS WILL LIKELY RANGE FROM 5 TO 8 INCHES. THE NAM AND GFS ARE EVEN HINTING AS SOME ELEVATED INSTABILITY ACROSS EASTERN KS…WHICH COULD HELP IN INCREASING SNOWFALL RATES AND TOTAL AMOUNTS. WE ARE FAIRLY CONFIDENT THAT MOST AREAS WILL SEE 4 TO 6 INCHES…AND THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR POSSIBLY 6 TO 8 INCHES WITHIN A 12HR WINDOW.

Review of the Toro 221 one coming soon!
Replies: 23 - 30 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Chxbeachva

Re: Snow coming!!
Reply #23   Jan 10, 2011 5:54 pm
FrankMA wrote:
I got about 2.5" yesterday and decided to fire up my Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower. It worked great! Some of it was on the wetter side but it still blew it off the pavement and onto the snowcovered grass. It sure beat using a shovel on my 135' driveway for just 2.5" of snow. Barely broke a sweat and no back pain after the job was done!

Good idea!!! Thanks.
aa335

Reply #24   Jan 10, 2011 5:56 pm
FrankMA wrote:
I got about 2.5" yesterday and decided to fire up my Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower. It worked great! Some of it was on the wetter side but it still blew it off the pavement and onto the snowcovered grass. It sure beat using a shovel on my 135' driveway for just 2.5" of snow. Barely broke a sweat and no back pain after the job was done!

I think I need one of these for the lighter snow. :)
FrankMA

Reply #25   Jan 10, 2011 6:09 pm
aa335 wrote:
I think I need one of these for the lighter snow. :)

I had been waiting for the "Perfect Storm" conditions to try this out. It just seemed to make a whole lot of sense seeing that I can blow huge volumes of leaves and other yard debris with my BR550. I would guess it would work equally well on up to 6" of the light, fluffy stuff we get sometimes during really cold snow storms. I live in an oak forest so my requirements for a good leaf blower can not be overstated. Most reviews I read compare the Stihl and Echo Backpack Blowers as being equally on par with each other. My Stihl will move bricks (no exaggeration) and other heavy objects that my old McCulloch Backpack Blower could never even think of moving.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Steve_Cebu

Reply #26   Jan 10, 2011 6:09 pm
Chxbeachva wrote:
I probably should have kept my single stage.  I was given a 7 year old Craftsman 5hp that I sold for $300 before I bought my 2-stage.  I guess if we get a dusting I will have to use the ol' shovel or maybe some of my neighbors with those single stages were struggling during the recent 20" we got last month and I came over to help with the 10hp Deere to bail them out will come do my driveway for me. 

Yeah the single stages are really good for the light snowfalls which is all we seem to get lately. The leaf blower idea is good too but I doubt it would work very well if the snow was heavy even if it was just 2-3". For powder tho, it would be amazing!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #27   Jan 10, 2011 7:36 pm
aa335 wrote:
Just so you know, the snow will keep pounding on when all you have is that itty bitty shovel.

You need to buy a big snowblower to scare the snow gods away.

Do it quick! 

Oh yeah! that's what it is. The old rule of the rain always coming just after you wash your car!!!

Ok snow gods, MY MACHINE IS BROKEN & IT WILL TAKE A WHILE TO REPAIR!

(do you think they bought it?)

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
aa335

Reply #28   Jan 10, 2011 8:08 pm
Must be working. Storm is heading my way. I tricked the snow gods by summerizing the snowblower and bringing out the lawnmower and string trimmer. The forecast calls for 2 to 6 inches.
aa335

Reply #29   Jan 10, 2011 8:09 pm
Ditto
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #30   Jan 10, 2011 9:35 pm
GtWtNorth wrote:
Oh yeah! that's what it is. The old rule of the rain always coming just after you wash your car!!!

Ok snow gods, MY MACHINE IS BROKEN & IT WILL TAKE A WHILE TO REPAIR!

(do you think they bought it?)

Cheers

I actually started a thread specically for this sort of thing. Waxing your snowblower will have the same result as washing your car. All nice and clean and shiny! New England weather especially loves to get everything dirty. We had a drought this past year and I didn't wash my car all summer. Coincidence? I think not!

This current storm will completely pass us by which is good because I don't want to see any more snow for the rest of the winter.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 23 - 30 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42