Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow coming!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kellyinkc

Snow coming!!
Original Message   Jan 8, 2011 5:17 pm
Finally! Under a WSW with this from the NWS:
USING THE GARCIA METHOD WHICH LOOKS AT 700 MB MOISTURE ADVECTION FOR SNOW AMOUNTS…THERE COULD BE 3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW DURING A 12 HOUR PERIOD. WITH THE EVENT EXPECTED TO LAST ABOUT 24 HOURS…SNOW AMOUNTS WILL LIKELY RANGE FROM 5 TO 8 INCHES. THE NAM AND GFS ARE EVEN HINTING AS SOME ELEVATED INSTABILITY ACROSS EASTERN KS…WHICH COULD HELP IN INCREASING SNOWFALL RATES AND TOTAL AMOUNTS. WE ARE FAIRLY CONFIDENT THAT MOST AREAS WILL SEE 4 TO 6 INCHES…AND THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR POSSIBLY 6 TO 8 INCHES WITHIN A 12HR WINDOW.

Review of the Toro 221 one coming soon!
Replies: 13 - 22 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
rubinew

Re: Snow coming!!
Reply #13   Jan 10, 2011 8:57 am
aa335 wrote:
Just so you know, the snow will keep pounding on when all you have is that itty bitty shovel.

You need to buy a big snowblower to scare the snow gods away.

Do it quick! 

The MTD was in the Garage, but yes, as soon as I get a new snowblower, then it will stop snowing and blowing!!
rubinew

Reply #14   Jan 10, 2011 9:01 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
He might have waited too long in the season to buy. I hope he's able to find the model he likes.

Hey Steve.

While it is late, up here, we only have 2 seasons, 8 months of Winter, and about 4 months of warmer weather to help us prepare for winter!!

Very common to get snow into April and May, but I do agree, if they don't find me the Model I want, by Mid February, then it will be a bit late. I will likely still buy, since prices are low right now, and will only go up at beginning of the Season!

Steve_Cebu

Reply #15   Jan 10, 2011 9:35 am
rubinew wrote:
Hey Steve.

While it is late, up here, we only have 2 seasons, 8 months of Winter, and about 4 months of warmer weather to help us prepare for winter!!

Very common to get snow into April and May, but I do agree, if they don't find me the Model I want, by Mid February, then it will be a bit late. I will likely still buy, since prices are low right now, and will only go up at beginning of the Season!

We have 2 seasons here also a few hours south of you, Winter and Road construction

You would think Yamaha would want to sell as many units as possible. I bet they sell a lot too. If you want to buy a Toro in my area it's hard after the season starts as they only make so many. After that you wait until next year. If I were you I'd wait for the Yamaha, supposedly they are built to last a lifetime. Your MTD can easily chug out another year if it has to but that Yamaha will be with you for a very long time.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #16   Jan 10, 2011 2:55 pm
The weather prediction is teasing me with 1-2 inches of snow tonight, 1-3 inches tomorrow. This better not an overhyped blind date. :)
Shryp

Reply #17   Jan 10, 2011 3:11 pm
Suppose to be 4-6" for us by tomorrow night.
FrankMA

Reply #18   Jan 10, 2011 3:16 pm
They're calling for 10" - 12" overnight from Tuesday into Wednesday - a real nor'easter to boot. We've only had 3 little and one big storm so far to date - maybe things are going to start to change....

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #19   Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm
All right, you guys are really making me feel envious of that snow.  I'm just hoping for any kind of white precipitation since it gotten warm and all the snow has completely melted and then it turned cold.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #20   Jan 10, 2011 4:36 pm
aa335 wrote:
All right, you guys are really making me feel envious of that snow.  I'm just hoping for any kind of white precipitation since it gotten warm and all the snow has completely melted and then it turned cold.

They promise us snow here all the time but fail to deliver. The snowmobilers are pretty upset hard to ride in mud. Supposedly on Wed we will get heavy snow. The last heavy snow we were supposed to get turned out to be an inch. At least you have a single stage for small storms.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Chxbeachva

Reply #21   Jan 10, 2011 5:08 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
They promise us snow here all the time but fail to deliver. The snowmobilers are pretty upset hard to ride in mud. Supposedly on Wed we will get heavy snow. The last heavy snow we were supposed to get turned out to be an inch. At least you have a single stage for small storms.

I probably should have kept my single stage.  I was given a 7 year old Craftsman 5hp that I sold for $300 before I bought my 2-stage.  I guess if we get a dusting I will have to use the ol' shovel or maybe some of my neighbors with those single stages were struggling during the recent 20" we got last month and I came over to help with the 10hp Deere to bail them out will come do my driveway for me. 
FrankMA

Reply #22   Jan 10, 2011 5:28 pm
Chxbeachva wrote:
I probably should have kept my single stage.  I was given a 7 year old Craftsman 5hp that I sold for $300 before I bought my 2-stage.  I guess if we get a dusting I will have to use the ol' shovel or maybe some of my neighbors with those single stages were struggling during the recent 20" we got last month and I came over to help with the 10hp Deere to bail them out will come do my driveway for me. 

I got about 2.5" yesterday and decided to fire up my Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower. It worked great! Some of it was on the wetter side but it still blew it off the pavement and onto the snowcovered grass. It sure beat using a shovel on my 135' driveway for just 2.5" of snow. Barely broke a sweat and no back pain after the job was done!
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Replies: 13 - 22 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42