Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lseap107

Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?
Original Message   Jan 9, 2011 9:57 am
I am considering replacing my Ariens 926 snowblower with possilby a Honda.  I want a better motor and something that is going to tackle the plowed driveway a little better.  I think if I could get a Subaru motor on a larger size Ariens, I would still consider one but they only offer it on the smaller compact model.  Anyway, I can't make up my mind on a tracked model or wheeled model honda.  I live in Wisconsin and have a 3 car wide driveway and sidewalk to do.  Will the tracked unit clear down to the cement or do I have to shovel the little bit it leaves behind after blowing?  Also, would I be able to turn 180 degrees when I get to the end of my sidewalk with the tracked unit or would I have to make my turn in the driveway because I may need more room to make a turn on about a 4 foot wide sidewalk?  Probably still have to do that with a wheeled unit anyway.  I've head a few people state that the tracked unit moves a little easier when you have a little bit of snow under the track but since I have a concrete drive, I may not have that little bit extra to easy the turn.  I really would like to try one out but most all of the dealers around here don't stock the two stage only the single stage.  I would assume because of price and low sales on the larger units.  I saw a used HS1230TA from about 2004 for $2500 but feel that might be too big.  It looks like new and only has about 4 hours of use.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John 

Replies: 17 - 26 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
kderobertis

Re: Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?
Reply #17   Jan 9, 2011 7:57 pm
trouts2 wrote:
kderobertis, just curious.  What Ariens did you have?   Do you know what the factory number was, tires, chains?  Since you  used both it would be interesting to know.  

I had the Ariens 624, much smaller than the current Honda,

Ken

aa335

Reply #18   Jan 10, 2011 12:51 am
lseap107 wrote:
My driveway is 36'wide by 37' long. I have about 60' by 5' of sidewalk to clear. I can throw snow on both sides of my driveway but I usually have some wind that I must contend with so I generally have to blow it to one side. Where the driveway ends and the street begins, I usually blow from one end of the width to the other so I would need to throw it at least 40 feet. My Ariens 926 works fine but it will ride up the plowed in snowbank of my driveway. The other thing I don't like is that it could use one more lower gear. 1st. gear is just a little too fast for the auger when you have to clear the plowed in section.

I have the HS1132 myself and most of the time, I don't need the tracks, but this model only comes in track.  Turning 180 on the sidewalk is a non issue, there's enough room.  Honda snowblowers are surprising short and compact and with a little manhandling, you can pivot it around its center.  The challenge is turning 180 at the garage door, where you have a physical barrier, this will require some skill to turn without hitting that door.  :)  .  I haven't made contact yet.

Your end of drive situation doesn't seem too severe to warrant the strong points of a Honda track snowblower.  The only two useful feature is the variable hydrostatic transmission which does not require feathering of the drive bail to get really slow crawl speeds.  Honda track snowblower can put a lot of weight on the bucket to lessen riding up, but it will ride up when forward speed is too fast or going over driven packed snow.  Put it in scraper mode, bucket fully down, set crawl speed and let it do its job.  Don't rush or force it.  The heavy bucket weight and aggressive serrated teeth auger will do the work.

If you have patience and tolerance, get the tracked version.  I like a little challenge so I don't mind the tracks.  However, your drive way seems short which means there's a lot of turns .  Since you chose to throw it to one side, that also means a lot of chute directional changes.  Cranking the chute and frequent turns can either give you real good exercise or you will end up cussing about it.  Everything about operating a Honda is just more physical. 

If you are dead set on tracks, then by all means get it.  If you consider wheel model instead, I'd offer you to consider a Toro 826OXE and a 221QR combo that would come in at little less than a Honda 928WA.  The 221QR single stage snowblower can zip up and down the sidewalk very fast and will probably outpace a 2 stage snowblower with snow up to 5 inches.  The Toro 826OXE has good power to width ratio to take on EOD nicely.  Both Toro's are very user friendly.  I find the little Toro single are great for grooming curved paver walkways and tight areas.

I like my HS1132 a lot when it is snowing heavily and when the snow at the EOD is nasty.  The sheer volume and distance of snow it process is impressive.  I rarely get 20 inch snowfall to let this machine show it's strength.  Most of the time, the Toro single 421Q or Honda single HS621 is used instead.  But if I were to narrow down what I would practically use, the Toro 826OXE and 421Q would be my choice.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by aa335
njal

Reply #19   Jan 10, 2011 6:30 am
aa335

Tell the truth now! You just want to have  the biggest meanest snow blower
on the block! haha!!!
Shryp

Reply #20   Jan 10, 2011 6:43 am
njal wrote:
aa335

Tell the truth now! You just want to have  the biggest meanest snow blower
on the block! haha!!!

No he doesn't.  He just wants to have every machine on the block.
FrankMA

Reply #21   Jan 10, 2011 7:32 am
aa335 wrote:
Turning 180 on the sidewalk is a non issue, there's enough room.  Honda snowblowers are surprising short and compact and with a little manhandling, you can pivot it around its center.  The challenge is turning 180 at the garage door, where you have a physical barrier, this will require some skill to turn without hitting that door.  :)  .  I haven't made contact yet.

Your end of drive situation doesn't seem too severe to warrant the strong points of a Honda track snowblower.  The only two useful feature is the variable hydrostatic transmission which does not require feathering of the drive bail to get really slow crawl speeds.  Honda track snowblower can put a lot of weight on the bucket to lessen riding up, but it will ride up when forward speed is too fast or going over driven packed snow.  Put it in scraper mode, bucket fully down, set crawl speed and let it do its job.  Don't rush or force it.  The heavy bucket weight and aggressive serrated teeth auger will do the work.

If you have patience and tolerance, get the tracked version.  I like a little challenge so I don't mind the tracks.  However, your drive way seems short which means there's a lot of turns .  Since you chose to throw it to one side, that also means a lot of chute directional changes.  Cranking the chute and frequent turns can either give you real good exercise or you will end up cussing about it.  Everything about operating a Honda is just more physical. 

If you are dead set on tracks, then by all means get it.  If you consider wheel model instead, I'd offer you to consider a Toro 826OXE and a 221QR combo that would come in at little less than a Honda 928WA.  The 221QR single stage snowblower can zip up and down the sidewalk very fast and will probably outpace a 2 stage snowblower with snow up to 5 inches.  The Toro 826OXE has good power to width ratio to take on EOD nicely.  Both Toro's are very user friendly.  I find the little Toro single are great for grooming curved paver walkways and tight areas.

I like my HS1132 a lot when it is snowing heavily and when the snow at the EOD is nasty.  The sheer volume and distance of snow it process is impressive.  I rarely get 20 inch snowfall to let this machine show it's strength.  Most of the time, the Toro single 421Q or Honda single HS621 is used instead.  But if I were to narrow down what I would practically use, the Toro 826OXE and 421Q would be my choice.

I owned and operated a Honda HS624WA wheel drive snowblower for 10 years. I just sold it this past year when I purchased a used low hour Honda HS928TA track drive from a friend who got relocated down south. The 624 was much more nimble than the 928 but the track drive does provide better overall traction, especially going up and down my sloped (15* or so) 135' long driveway. I sold my 624 because I got what I felt was a good deal on the 928 and had been considering an upgrade to the 9 HP the past couple of years.The 6 HP did the job but it was a bit underpowered for the EOD garbage that I typically deal with on my road.

There's no comparison when it comes to EOD cleaning - the 3 way bucket adjustment combined with the track drive and 9 HP engine provide impressive cleaning (down to the pavement), traction and throwing distance. Manuverability with the tracks is not as challenging as some folks will lead you to believe but it is definitely much more physical than a set of wheels. Learning the proper technique for turning and overall handling is really the key to ease of use. Having snow under the tracks also makes turning much easier than when on dry pavement. Your situation seems better suited to a wheel drive model than tracks as your driveway is fairly short and sounds like it's flat as well (you don't mention any inclines to deal with).

I think aa335 hit the nail on the head as far as owning 2 pieces of equipment. A nice single stage will give you down to the pavement cleaning, handle the smaller storms better than a 2 stage and offer much better manuverability in tight areas such as walkways, etc... while the 2 stage is obviously better suited to handle the larger storms (6" +) and clear the EOD garbage. You could own the 2 Toro's that aa335 suggests and be the envy of your neighborhood. Let's face it, who does'nt need a few extra toys in the garage to make life a bit easier! 

This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Steve_Cebu

Reply #22   Jan 10, 2011 8:03 am
rubinew wrote:
This is good to read. I am very interested in getting a tracked Yamaha, and there are more ppl that complain about tracks, than those who like them :-)

I was begining to get a bit nervous that I might regret the track. I have the same porblem with my current blower, the rocking, wiggling, and plain fighting with it to keep the auger in the snow.

I think many people who are buying a tracked snowblower don't really need it. Oh for certain some do, but most just get it for the coolness factor, I myself thought I needed tracks but I didn't. You on the other hand have a whole nother problem with that drifting snow that fills in your driveway and the tracks will be a big help in grinding into the big snowbanks that you get. Lower that puppy to chew pavement and it will crawl along as nice as can be. The hydrostatic tranny can creep as slow as you need to go so less chance of it riding up.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
FrankMA

Reply #23   Jan 10, 2011 8:14 am
rubinew wrote:
This is good to read. I am very interested in getting a tracked Yamaha, and there are more ppl that complain about tracks, than those who like them :-)

I was begining to get a bit nervous that I might regret the track. I have the same porblem with my current blower, the rocking, wiggling, and plain fighting with it to keep the auger in the snow.

All of that goes away with the track drive. Set the bucket in the middle position, adjust the hydrostatic tranny speed and let the augers process the snow, slush, etc...

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #24   Jan 10, 2011 10:55 am
The 926 Ariens has a good power to auger width ratio and shouldn't lack "oomph". Perhaps the carb is set below the 3600rpm level. I bought a Toro Professional grade mulching Lawn Mower with a 6hp. Kawi a number of years ago that didn't mulch the grass very well at all.  I put a tach on it and found the engine was turning about 3050 rpm. I adjusted up to 3550 and it made all the difference in the world.

I spoke to the dealer who told me that the engine manufacturers usually set the engines below the 3600 mark.

With regard to the riding up issue -Have you tried a weight kit? Very few people do but in my experience they are very effective. I had an old paddle wheel Simplicity which had a rather long wheel base and small tires .It rode up badly at the EOD till I bolted on a weight kit.

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Paul7

Reply #25   Jan 10, 2011 1:38 pm
lseap107 wrote:
I am considering replacing my Ariens 926 snowblower with possilby a Honda.  I want a better motor and something that is going to tackle the plowed driveway a little better....

Someone recommended the 26" 8hp Toro 826OXE.   While it's a fine machine, and I like the dual sbowblower approach, I don't see it providing a better motor or better performance for EOD plowed snow over what you currently own.  Same 26 inch bucket as your Ariens and one less hp.  

The 9hp Honda engine would likely be better than the 9hp on your current Ariens but would it be more powerful than a 342cc Briggs?  

The best way to handle plowed snow always seems to lead to trade-offs.  In my opinion plowed snow became more of an issue when manufacturers went away from tires that needed chains.  Back in the 70's if your machine had enough overall weight plus chains on the tires it would plow through anything.  Today's SnowHog type chainless tires are good on snow but will lose traction on icy snow.  So to solve the loss of traction problem, manufacturers didn't go back to chains, they built machines with tracks...which in turn created maneuverability problems.  One would expect the tracked Honda to provide an improvement with deep plowed snow but is that the machine you want to wrestle with to clear a small 3 inch snowfall.

So there's no perfect answer.  Just for giggles though if I were you I'd try fitting the Ariens with appropriate tire chains and see how it does.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by Paul7
Paul7

Reply #26   Jan 10, 2011 3:03 pm
Also, has an aside, the augers on older snow throwers were positioned so that they protruded in front of the bucket sides by six inches or so.  Nothing by speculation on my part but I think that aided in breaking up packed snow better than todays design.  Today the augers are positioned well back inside the buckets.  My guess is that the change was made for safety and liability reasons.  The mega blowers, the one's attached to semi tractor-trailer cabs, still have the augers well in front of the housing. 
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by Paul7
Replies: 17 - 26 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42