Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lseap107

Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?
Original Message   Jan 9, 2011 9:57 am
I am considering replacing my Ariens 926 snowblower with possilby a Honda.  I want a better motor and something that is going to tackle the plowed driveway a little better.  I think if I could get a Subaru motor on a larger size Ariens, I would still consider one but they only offer it on the smaller compact model.  Anyway, I can't make up my mind on a tracked model or wheeled model honda.  I live in Wisconsin and have a 3 car wide driveway and sidewalk to do.  Will the tracked unit clear down to the cement or do I have to shovel the little bit it leaves behind after blowing?  Also, would I be able to turn 180 degrees when I get to the end of my sidewalk with the tracked unit or would I have to make my turn in the driveway because I may need more room to make a turn on about a 4 foot wide sidewalk?  Probably still have to do that with a wheeled unit anyway.  I've head a few people state that the tracked unit moves a little easier when you have a little bit of snow under the track but since I have a concrete drive, I may not have that little bit extra to easy the turn.  I really would like to try one out but most all of the dealers around here don't stock the two stage only the single stage.  I would assume because of price and low sales on the larger units.  I saw a used HS1230TA from about 2004 for $2500 but feel that might be too big.  It looks like new and only has about 4 hours of use.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John 

Replies: 4 - 13 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
MN_Runner

Re: Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?
Reply #4   Jan 9, 2011 10:31 am
If you can try out models before buying one so you know how it performs and turns.  I wish I had that opportunity but it is almost impossible.  Clearing down to the cement depends on how you have your scrapper adjusted.  If adjusted properly, it will be clean but not as good as those single stage rubber models (HS520 or Toro 421/221).  If you are going to go with a Honda then you really don't need an electric start but you may not have that choice if you are buying from CL or eBay.  Good luck.
njal

Reply #5   Jan 9, 2011 10:38 am

I have the 9hp track honda,it is a wonderful machine,
however I would recommend the wheeled model.
Just for the simple fact that is will be easier to man handle.
It will also be easier to move around you garage in the summer months
if you have to.I am one who likes toys and gadgets and such that is the reason
I bought the track model.I can climb stairs and snow mounds with it.
I think the wheeled model is more partical.

Just my 2 cents.. Good luck with what ever machine you purchase.
MN_Runner

Reply #6   Jan 9, 2011 10:54 am
Do you mean Honda HS1132TA?  I have seen them go for $2000 - $2500 depending on the condition.  I also have three car garage but don't have a huge or long driveway.  My preference would have been 24" snowblower but 200CC on HS724 was borderline.  If you are going to spend over $2000 for a snowblower - you may want to consider a new one so you know the history of your machine.
lseap107

Reply #7   Jan 9, 2011 11:33 am
It was the HS1132TAS that I saw for sale used for $2300. I live in the western part of Wisconsin near La Crosse. Kind of leaning towards the wheeled unit from some of the comments I've already read.
lseap107

Reply #8   Jan 9, 2011 11:48 am
My driveway is 36'wide by 37' long. I have about 60' by 5' of sidewalk to clear. I can throw snow on both sides of my driveway but I usually have some wind that I must contend with so I generally have to blow it to one side. Where the driveway ends and the street begins, I usually blow from one end of the width to the other so I would need to throw it at least 40 feet. My Ariens 926 works fine but it will ride up the plowed in snowbank of my driveway. The other thing I don't like is that it could use one more lower gear. 1st. gear is just a little too fast for the auger when you have to clear the plowed in section.
rubinew

Reply #9   Jan 9, 2011 3:09 pm
lseap107 wrote:
My driveway is 36'wide by 37' long. I have about 60' by 5' of sidewalk to clear. I can throw snow on both sides of my driveway but I usually have some wind that I must contend with so I generally have to blow it to one side. Where the driveway ends and the street begins, I usually blow from one end of the width to the other so I would need to throw it at least 40 feet. My Ariens 926 works fine but it will ride up the plowed in snowbank of my driveway. The other thing I don't like is that it could use one more lower gear. 1st. gear is just a little too fast for the auger when you have to clear the plowed in section.

I live in Canada, with open fields, and get a lot of blown packed snow. For that reason, I am looking at getting a track.

The Honda dealer up here only brings in tracked models, and the Yamahas (the one I want) only make tracked versions.

I have only used tracks for a short time, in the parking lots, testing, and yes they are hard to turn, if not under power. The trick is to keep the tracks moving, while you turn, otherwise, it is a fight. My wife was able to turn the 928 Honda, and the 624 Yamaha (both 250lbs) by keeping the tracks turning.

Me and my neighbors are all fighting with our wheeled blowers riding up, and not digging into the drifts and EOD. Just this morning, I had to plow through 30-40 inch drifts, and several times the auger was pointing up. So I back up, and hit again, leaning forward, and pushing up on the handles, wiggling, etc. I would rather have to learn to finess the turning process on the tracks, then wrestle all day with keeping the auger in the snow.

Now if you can find a wheeled model, that is front heavy, with good traction, then it may work in your area.  Keep in mind that all track models have an adjustment (manual or gas assist) to push the auger even further down, to help chew through tough snow.

Regarding lower gears, the Honda is a Hydrostatic drive, so you can go as slow as you want!

This message was modified Jan 9, 2011 by rubinew
trouts2

Reply #10   Jan 9, 2011 3:18 pm

You can fine tune your average below but it’s about 50 inches which is not so much.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/arx/climate.php?month=Year&type=snow 

Handling:

A big track is tougher to turn than a locked wheeled but not by that much once you get used to them.  Turning at the sidewalk is not a problem.   Going to a showroom and trying one will probably be a turn off as it takes using them for a while to get used to.  I have no problem with any track.

Traction:

Tracks have a reputation for traction but if you compare one to a wheeled outfitted for traction the advantage decreases by quite a bit.  For example comparing an Ariens 1028 to a Honda 1132.  With the Ariens having 6 x 15 tires with good tread the difference in traction for lifting or bad EOD piles gets pretty close.  They both slip in nasty stuff and both lift with the Honda having an advantage in less lifting but when forced low will slip their treads in bad conditions.  Chains on big tires would reduce that advantage even more.

Since you did not mention slope as a reason for a track I’ll assume you have a level area.

The value of a Honda for you would be an advantage of shifting the weight to the bucket and good distance.  Both of those for you are only related to the driveway EOD if the sidewalk can be cleared leaving some of the pile in the gutter.  At lease distance for the sidewalk part is not a factor.  You did not mention a tough time with the buildup of the sidewalk compared to the end of the driveway so possibly you have a way to deal with that.  You are probably running parallel there.  I assume your running parallel in the EOD area also but maybe have to get more there.

For the lower gear part:

You can adjust your friction disk closer to the center of the drive plate which you may have already done.

I did not find the slow hydro speed all the much of an advantage.  When the wheeled and track had to go super slow the conditions were bad and you are very close to the margin for slip on forward progress.  Going very slow and having very very slow did not gain much before slip.

For the better distance part: 

A healthy 1028 looses to a 1132 Honda tossing crud snow but not by much.  Honda will wax a 1028 in the driveway area with just fallen snow i.e. no crud like at the EOD.  An 11hp Honda will toss better than your 926 but you are not going to get monster distance from the fabled Honda tossing EOD with a 9 or 11.

For distance tossing EOD you could take a smaller cut with the 926.  You could boost your governor speed higher and run most of the time at reduced throttle.  At the EOD you could buck it up.  The load will reduce your RPM below 3600 anyway but you’ll have more umph.  

I clear about 150 feet of EOD so I want distance also.  At 36 feet you could start in the middle, go parallel and if super bad wet crud you’d have to double toss the edges.   For some snows I pre-clear an area to toss to so I don’t have to double throw.  I clear a couple of rows near the end of the driveway then go the sidewalk away from the driveway which I want to toss past the EOD.  I can’t so toss into the cleared area.  I then go parallel to the EOD taking whatever cuts I can and it’s out of the way.  The double toss and the rest of the driveway get cleared after.  For better distance you could try to setup so you are always tossing to the right which is the good side for a machine.

For the lifting part:

The Honda will be an advantage but as mentioned above if bad crud they slip their tracks so the overall advantage won’t be huge.  A Honda will probably not be a “cure”.   You could try a weight kit on the 928 and smaller cuts. 

Specifically for a Honda 928WA vs a 928TA there would be an advantage in the track for the EOD in lifting.  You won’t get any lifting advantage with the W vs the Ariens 926.  You gain some amount of advantage with the track but I doubt it would be significant before the tracks slip.  For the snowfall you get and with the EOD only 36 feet there may be some other was to clear that would use the Ariens more effectively.  The 9hp Honda will out toss the Ariens but not by whopping amounts at the EOD section unless your engine is tired.

If you wanted more advantage in lift and distance then an 11hp Honda would be better.  It only comes in 32 inch bucket unless newer models have 28.  An 1132 for you would be impractical overall unless you are so frustrated only the big guy will do or of course for fun.

So the options would be Honda 928WA.   With the justification being the EOD only the reason for replacing the Ariens lessens.   For the amount of snow you get each year and the amount of snowfalls that the Honda would be an advantage each year it would be hard to justify the expense for me.  You may be perfectly happy with that but you won’t know as you can’t use the Honda for a while first.  Maybe you could strap on a 10 or 11.5hp to the Ariens for much less and be satisfied.  It would be an easy swap and you could sell your engine on Craigslist making it cheaper.

This message was modified Jan 9, 2011 by trouts2
Paul7

Reply #11   Jan 9, 2011 3:33 pm
rubinew wrote:

Now if you can find a wheeled model, that is front heavy, with good traction, then it may work in your area. 

You just described the old Toro Power Shift large frame models with tire chains. 
tkrotchko

Reply #12   Jan 9, 2011 6:19 pm
I've purchased a Honda 1132TAS and while we've not had any snow yet, I've tried maneuvering it on dry blacktop while moving forward, and I haven't had any issue with it. As long as the tracks are moving it feels like its floating a bit because of the design of the treads. I'm not a big guy, either.
MN_Runner

Reply #13   Jan 9, 2011 6:22 pm
lseap107

Do you have pictures of your Ariens 926 we can see?  Do you have any pictures or detailed information on Honda HS1132 you are interested in buying?

Replies: 4 - 13 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42