Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rubinew

Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J
Original Message   Dec 30, 2010 12:21 am
I moved to a new house, top of a hill, with farm land across from my driveway.

This is our second winter, and my MTD is not up to the task of clearing the packed snow that blows into my yard, sometimes daily.

I have been looking for a couple weeks, and had made up my mind to get the Honda. I had been to the Yamaha dealer previously, but they were not willing to deal.

Well today a new twist, I went back to Yamaha, and was offered the YS928J for the same price as the HS928TC.

Specs are very similar, with some different features. The Honda has full Joystick control on the chute, and is 100 lbs lighter.

The Yamaha has plastic coated chute, manual up/down. Has no shear pins, which may be a bonus, if the 'Shock Protection' works correctly. Also the Yamaha is quiter.

I have been reviewing this site, however, there is limited information on the Yamahas, likely because they just came back to Canada in 2009 (15 year Hiatus) and I am not sure if they are available in the U.S.

Has anyone out there used these models? Can you offer an Opinion?

This message was modified Dec 30, 2010 by rubinew
Replies: 89 - 98 of 104Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J
Reply #89   Jan 13, 2011 11:30 am
borat wrote:
Very nice rubinew.  Congrats!

I noticed that it has a three vane impeller.  That's a bit unusual for a high end modern machine.  Most newer domestics seem to be going with 4 to 6 vanes.  Not saying there's anything wrong with three vanes.  Just a little different.   Yamaha obviously make a very sophisticated, advanced machine.  I'm certain they know what's need to get the job done.

The Honda is a 3 vane also.  The blades are identical to the Yamaha.  Maybe number of vanes is dependent on impeller speed.
rubinew

Reply #90   Jan 13, 2011 11:38 am
trouts2 wrote:
  Never knew they put in a fan housing liner.   What is the clearance?

Hmmm, just a quick check, sorry, didn't measure, but I say the thickness of a quarter at the bottom, but widens to about twice that at the exit chute.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #91   Jan 13, 2011 2:36 pm
rubinew wrote:
Hmmm, just a quick check, sorry, didn't measure, but I say the thickness of a quarter at the bottom, but widens to about twice that at the exit chute.

I'd rather have 3 vanes that work and throw the heavy snow very far than a snowblower with  10 vanes that clogs and throws the snow 10 feet.

To paraphrase an old saying "It's not the amount of vanes in your snowblower but how you use them."

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
rubinew

Reply #92   Jan 13, 2011 3:02 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I'd rather have 3 vanes that work and throw the heavy snow very far than a snowblower with  10 vanes that clogs and throws the snow 10 feet.

To paraphrase an old saying "It's not the amount of vanes in your snowblower but how you use them."

That is the truth!!! These 3 vanes had no problem tossing snow to the other side of the road!

The Plastic Liner is about 3/16 of an inch thick, took a couple of scratches from a few rocks, but looks durable. The liner is removable (2 screws, 2 edge plates held in with nuts), so it can be replaced once beat up!

This message was modified Jan 13, 2011 by rubinew
aa335

Reply #93   Jan 13, 2011 3:05 pm
Hey that gives me an idea. Instead of the Clearance impeller kit, why not line the impeller housing with the plastic to reduce the gap? Two in one
Steve_Cebu

Reply #94   Jan 13, 2011 3:26 pm
rubinew wrote:
That is the truth!!! These 3 vanes had no problem tossing snow to the other side of the road!

The Plastic Liner is about 3/16 of an inch thick, took a couple of scratches from a few rocks, but looks durable. The liner is removable (2 screws, 2 edge plates held in with nuts), so it can be replaced once beat up!

My entire chute is plastic!

Still it must be nice to have a Yamaha. Scratches in the chute and inside the bucket are no biggie anyway. Have you seen any of my videos on YouTube? How does your Yamaha throw compared to the Toro?

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
rubinew

Reply #95   Jan 13, 2011 3:32 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Still it must be nice to have a Yamaha. Scratches in the chute and inside the bucket are no biggie anyway. Have you seen any of my videos on YouTube? How does your Yamaha throw compared to the Toro?

My old MTD has a plastic chute!! It has been there for 14 years!

Yes I have seen your videos, great job on those! Hope to make a few of my own, when it warms up!

The Yamaha would throw as well as the Toro, I was getting about 40 feet today, could easily make the snow land on the other side of the road.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #96   Jan 13, 2011 3:45 pm
rubinew wrote:
My old MTD has a plastic chute!! It has been there for 14 years!

Yes I have seen your videos, great job on those! Hope to make a few of my own, when it warms up!

The Yamaha would throw as well as the Toro, I was getting about 40 feet today, could easily make the snow land on the other side of the road.

Thanks glad you liked them.

With the wind I was easily throwing 60 feet in open areas with the Toro. I'll have to measure it when the wind isn't blowing. I would think your Big Blue would easily out throw my Toro in a side by side comparison.

rubinew

Reply #97   Jan 13, 2011 3:54 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Thanks glad you liked them.

With the wind I was easily throwing 60 feet in open areas with the Toro. I'll have to measure it when the wind isn't blowing. I would think your Big Blue would easily out throw my Toro in a side by side comparison.

The specs are for 16 meters, which is about 52 feet. So I think under ideal conditions, it would hit that!

Your Toro is throwing very well, I think they would be close, from what I could judge.

aa335

Reply #98   Jan 13, 2011 4:34 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Then you should line it with metal.    Heck, most of the impeller housing plastic too.  I'm surprised David didn't make fun of that a while back. 

Speaking of which, the chute not David, I see it's pretty easy for you to change the direction of the chute on the Toro.   Do you feel any resistance when the snow is blowing through it?  On my 421Q, it's pretty hard to change the chute direction while blowing heavy snow.  I either have to slow down or stop to rotate the chute. 
This message was modified Jan 13, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 89 - 98 of 104Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42