Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Impellers and Augers, Some Pictures, Any Comments?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DavidNJ

Impellers and Augers, Some Pictures, Any Comments?
Original Message   Oct 8, 2010 12:12 am

Replies: 26 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bus708

Re: Impellers and Augers, Some Pictures, Any Comments?
Reply #26   Oct 14, 2010 12:15 am
I have a Ariens 924708-- it does not have any grease fittings for the auger bushings. I see a brass bushing but no plastic or other material  incert. I ask Ariens, they seem to give me the blow off.  I asked them how to grease it. they first said it does not need grease.  I told them it is spinning metal to metal what is to keep it from wareing out . They then said the grease fron greasing the auger shaft will find its way into the bushing.   WRONG ANSWER-   Any ideas on how to grease it.
slinger

Re: Impellers and Augers, Some Pictures, Any Comments?
Reply #27   Oct 14, 2010 4:08 pm
It is probably an oil impregnated bronze sleeve bearing, also known as an Oilite bearing.  It is made from a porous SAE 841 alloy which carries between 17-20% SAE 30 oil within it's pores.  The oil acts as a cushion between the bearing and the shaft, adding resistance to shock loads (suddenly applied loads) and wear.  They are virtually maintenance free.  If you feel compelled to lube it I suppose a little additional SAE 30 oil applied into the seam where the bearing flange is showing couldn't hurt.
Replies: 26 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42