Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens and Home Depot

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
colecacola

Ariens and Home Depot
Original Message   Jan 25, 2005 5:11 pm

Based on recommendations from this forum I purchased an Ariens 8526 in late December. The local dealer, at the time, did not have any in stock, so I bought it at Home Depot.

I read the manual and did the break in procedure. All seemed ok. With about five inches on the ground (I have a large driveway (triple wide garage) and live on a corner lot)), the 8526 traveled, in 1st gear, about ten feet and then stopped. Wouldn’t move…

Rather than fix the machine, I brought it back to Home Depot and upgraded to the 11528LE (for about $100 more than the 8526).

I also did the break in procedure, and with eight inches of snow on the ground, with drifts up to 28 inches, it took about three minutes of operation before the impeller stopped turning. It squealed like a pig on crack.

I spent four hours going through the manual and checking everything, but couldn’t get it to work. So, I bypassed Home Depot (sick of changing machines), and called the local Ariens service dealer. They picked it up the following day (yesterday), and said that a washer/bolt broke internally but it should work from now on (the person relaying the info didn’t have the specifics, and I hope to track down exactly what the problem is at a later time).

They dropped it back at my house this morning, and I went home over lunch today and removed the snowdrifts that I couldn’t move on Saturday (back pain and ticked off). Today, the temp was about 38 degrees, the 11528 shot the heavy snow about 15-25 feet. I’m guessing this is normal performance for the conditions.

Home Depot, because of two machines not working at no fault of mine, is offering a $25 gift certificate (rather than give me the $$ difference between the price I paid for the 11528 last week and the now clearance price). They say it’s corporate policy to not honor recent purchases against clearance items (only sale items).

Snowblower gurus, what would you do…am I out for blood and needlessly taking on a big corporation by demanding the difference between the price I paid and the clearance price (about $190)? Or, take the $25 gift certificate and call it a lesson learned?

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by colecacola

Ariens 11528LE snowthrower; Honda Harmony II HRR216SDA lawnmower; Ryobi 825R gas trimmer ; Anti-perspirant deodorant
Replies: 1 - 38 of 38View as Outline
Termy

Re: Ariens and Home Depot
Reply #1   Jan 25, 2005 5:21 pm
I would reporte them to airens or something. Reading your post even makes me angory! I know already that I am not happy with what has been going on with your situation.

18Degrees

Reply #2   Jan 25, 2005 5:29 pm
I would calmly walk in to Home De-Pot and say I would like to return my snowblower.  Then buy one on sale 1 hour later, or wait for the dealer to have one in stock next summer.   

18 Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
solara

Reply #3   Jan 25, 2005 5:39 pm
did ariens dealer charge u to pick up and return? it was my understanding that ariens charges and toro does not in the warranty period.

if  HD has the 11528 still in stock, sure return yours and buy a new one.  isnt the difference aprox 325$. 25% of 1299?

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Termy

Reply #4   Jan 25, 2005 5:40 pm
Thats being to nice. I would never be that nice. I would create a comosion in the building which would bring the forman over, and when he asks what the problem is I will tell him. And because the forman does not want to have people looking over at me hering how I am upset with my purchase, he will gladly give me a 1500 dollar model for the same price I paid for the 1000 model.

jubol

Reply #5   Jan 25, 2005 5:42 pm
    All,

Here in Dover Delaware,, there is not a blower to be bought!!

HD sold 87 blowers between last Friday and Saturday noon!!

Fred    

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
colecacola

Reply #6   Jan 25, 2005 6:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Solid suggestions…

Home Depot (HD), at least, did not charge delivery to remove the 8526 and drop off the 11528 (after much debate). 

I did tell HD I'm returning the recently fixed 11528 and buying another one on clearance (best option), but as jubol mentioned, they are completely out of stock, and said they probably won’t be getting more in.

The local dealer, also, is out of stock (too bad, even if they couldn't match the HD clearance price). And, call me crazy, but I still think Ariens can be a good long-term investment.

I’d rather not hand it back to HD and not buy another one until more are available, since Minnesota gets the most snow in February/March. Or, does HD, or dealers, often replenish their stock of snow blowers in January, so that I can take the risk of not having a back savior for a while?

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by colecacola

Ariens 11528LE snowthrower; Honda Harmony II HRR216SDA lawnmower; Ryobi 825R gas trimmer ; Anti-perspirant deodorant
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Jan 25, 2005 6:26 pm
H-Depot put all their snowblowers on sale 1-2 weeks ago to get rid of 'em...  10-25% off...

I'd expect you'll only see additional ones there if they have them in stock... or maybe customer returns...
...doubt any new ones would be ordered/shipped in...

Snowblower manufacturing usually stops quite a bit before snow season...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #8   Jan 25, 2005 6:27 pm
That sounds all to familiar to me.  I was looking for a Ariens snowthrower at Home Depot last year also.  I bought a 1128 LE, and had to go 60 miles to get it.  Meanwhile, we had a storm that completely run out of their stock.  I had to drive another 60 miles to get another one.  The trip was worth while because of a car show.  All this because of leaking oil on the first one.  The second had a bent auger housing.  Now I have the 926 DLE that seems about just right. 
This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

robmints

Reply #9   Jan 25, 2005 7:18 pm
I try not to deal with Home Depot.

But if you feel comfortable, you could treat them as they treat you. Just play by the corporate rules.

You need a gallon of paint, buy a five of custom mix, use a gallon, take the rest back. You know how paint dries and never looks the same in the light at your house.

Doing some trim work, those Paslodes are real nice, buy one use it. take it back. Make sure to return the nails and the empty canisters too. You know how those nails bent and the canisters leaked once you put them on.

Ect. Ect.

Or you can do as I do, Just Say No. To  Home Depot.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #10   Jan 25, 2005 7:30 pm
You buy from Home Depot or other big box stores and you get a good price with no service. The machines are assembled by inexperienced employees who  can't by any stretch of the imagination be called a technician or mechanic. They have a pretty liberal return policy but that to my way of thinking is no comfort. I want a machine to work properly the first time. I know that buying from an ope shop doesen't guarantee a trouble free experience but these numerous reports being posted here  about HDare a nightmare.Who would you want setting up your machine or trying to track down some gremlin that is infecting it-A tech like BUTTLINT or a nice polite young man who will be working in plumbing or electrical as soon as they are sold out of machines.

Finally ,you can't buy the top of the line machines from the big box stores. Not wanting to insult anyone but the difference in price between the LE and DLE models in the Ariens line is trivial when considering the cast iron gear box,limited slip differential etc.IMHO you are much better off researching which of the local ope shops enjoys a good reputation and doing business with them!

Marc

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #11   Jan 25, 2005 7:32 pm
I can't get over all the snow blowers I read about that get returned to HD.  Where do you think those "defective" machines go after you return them? Back to the factory? Not a shot! Maybe they get the once over and a possible rube goldberg fix, but sooner or later they go right back on the sales floor to be bought by the next unsuspecting person.

I know it isn't always possible to buy from a dealer, their inventory is pretty limited, just remember, Buyer Beware!

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #12   Jan 25, 2005 8:50 pm
well ...here i go.

im one of those guys that works at the shop that actually fixes the stuff from home depo or whereever.

we sell only the high end machines.we just dont feel good about selling the low buck stuff.

that being said we really do like the box stores because thats where most of our work comes from.

when they are under warranty we repair them and when they are a few years old we repair them some more.

i wont even tell you how many of the new mtd,s with the tiny gear box that i have piled up waiting for parts.

in my opinion you got a good quality machine ,im not sure about pricing.im from the frozen north so when i see the prices you guys pay i kinda drool.

it seems like you wont be able to return and replace it with a new one which you probably would have to take to the local shop anyway and have gone over .

so what do you do,i would go to the shop that repaired it for you with an extra coffee or 2 (around what you figure break time is) and ask the mechanic in his own opinion how he feels about your machine.

im betting he will have quite a bit to say.remember this is the guy that makes his living repairing other peoples mistakes.

bottom line is you have a top quality machine and now you know a dealer that can help you when you need it.

you should have many years service from it.

we call them lifetime units.

your kids will be trying to weasle it from you in 20 years.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #13   Jan 25, 2005 10:18 pm
Snowshovelor is BACK !!!!!!!

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #14   Jan 25, 2005 11:04 pm

I still shop at the box stores for screws nails or light bulbs ETC>>>>>.... but never never never  OPE ..... I got taken for a dishwasher at  LOW LOW LOWES once so anything that costs over 100.00  I try to buy from someone that can at very least stand good for it or fix it . As most know the box stores do get the lesser quality machines in many cases. then they have someone throw 50 of them together on a thursday night at 2am, not worth the hassle I'd rather see the dealers get some extra $$ and write it off as a good deal for some peace of mind ..  Quality dealers are priceless IMHO.....

But lets face it people at the box stores need the work too. Heaven only knows where they worked before

All in fun   Tom
This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by sawme

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
sawme

Reply #15   Jan 25, 2005 11:06 pm
sawme wrote:
This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by sawme

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
Dantheman

Reply #16   Jan 25, 2005 11:54 pm
colecacola,

Tell them to shove the $25 Gift Certificate and demand satisfaction. Talk to the store Manager and then go corporate.

I just made them cough up $900 for trying to F*ck me on a $3500 carpet installation. 

They made all kind of lame offers and when I would not back down they paid. 

Go for the $190 and don't back down. 

Home Depot sucks!!! 

Give 'em Hell   and make 'em pay!!!!

Dan

navihawk

Reply #17   Jan 26, 2005 8:07 am
Hey to Snowshoveler........Welcome back dude

I hate HD.I return 50% of what I buy there.Lowes just opened up.I go there from now on.I bought a ryobi stringer atHD that i can't get parts for.(I need a shroud for it).Anyways,I believe HD sells a lesser quality Ariens,(I know Chris_s will tell you different).I just think Ariens uses cheaper parts in their HD's.Maybe someone like Snowshoveler can dispell this rumor.'Shovler?

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #18   Jan 26, 2005 11:20 am
When I bought my 824 i was in a similar situation, only it was november.  The local dealers had none and didn't know when they would get any, but HD had a bunch.  So i looked them over good, passed on a few that were only 1/2 assembled(loose handlebars, disconnect chute and gear selector rods, etc) and picked the one i have now.  Sure i had to run it in, and do adjustments on just about everything, but i knew i was in for that.  My opinion is this,  Ariens/local dealer stood behind the HD machine, and it seems to be working good now.  If it's the machine you want i say keep it take HD's money and buy something there you wouldn't normally get.  then take some coffee and doughnuts to the dealer that helped you out and buy a spare set of belts and some shear pins from him.  On the clearence thing, i dunno, you buy it and a couple days later they go on clearence?  that's kinda unfair.  I'd talk to the store manager and say "look, if i bring it back and then re buy it, i'll get the diff, so why not just give me the diff now?"  Ultimately they are gonna do what they're gonna do, but I'd call corporate and say yer not pleased if the SM blows you off.  My opinion is that it would be reasonable to exp[ect the difference if the time period is less than 1, maybe two weeks.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Reply #19   Jan 26, 2005 11:57 pm
Talk to a HD manager and I bet they will give you the clearance price.  It would be silly (and costly) for them to take a return instead. 

I usually buy from box stores, even at the same price, because I'm much more comfortable  with a purchase if I know I can return it.   Also sometimes I find employees in the independent dealers can be even more clueless than in HD.   Anyway I doubt dealers have their best mechanics doing the routine set-up work - probably use kids from the same high school as HD.  Not much value added there.   -Bob

colecacola

Reply #20   Jan 27, 2005 3:39 pm

Thanks for all the input. Here’s an update…

I took the forum’s advice and before going to back to Home Depot, I looked for a Toro 828LXE and Simplicity, but they too were nestled in home/business owner garages. 

I also had a productive talk with the local Ariens dealer who serviced the 11528 (the mechanic and the owner). They said the machine I bought from Home Depot is exactly the same as what they receive. Also, the repair they made was a factory defect, and said it will not affect the snow blower’s future performance.

I said I regretted not initially buying the snow blower from them (even if they were out-of-stock when I was ready to buy), and they replied that they are happy to see people buy Ariens, nonetheless, since they profit from service more than they do the initial sales (that’s why they receive a limited shipment compared to Home Depot).

Also talked about the 926DLE (thinking I may return the 11528 and buy the 926 from the local dealer next fall). The owner said the differential is a nice feature, and the cast-iron gear case may last a little longer, but the 11528 is a heck of a machine, especially with the extra HP and wider housing. (Frankly, when I did finally get to blow some snow on Monday, I thought it was easy to turn.)

Then, I went to Home Depot and asked for the manager, who had a Texas drawl and looked cold. I again explained my situation, and to make a long story short, he agreed the $25 gift card was not sufficient, and refunded me a decent portion, so I ended up paying less than $1100 (including free assembly and delivery for the 8525 and 11528). 

Bottom line: I have an Ariens that suits my needs, bought at a decent price that a dealer, who I now know fairly well, has gone through, and now I hope it snows.

This message was modified Jan 27, 2005 by colecacola

jubol

Reply #21   Jan 27, 2005 3:52 pm
  CC,

Congrat's on solving your problem,

Nobody welcomed you here , so I will.

Welcome to the best forum on the net!!

The reason you did not get a welcome, I think, folks here were to busy trying to help you!!

Welcome again!

Fred  

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #22   Jan 27, 2005 4:19 pm
Hi Colecacola!

Welcome to the group!

You done GOOOD.

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
sawme

Reply #23   Jan 27, 2005 5:17 pm

Colecacola

Definitly a big welcome!  My daughter went to school in Minn.  Love that Spam museum in Austin

Tom

Termy

Reply #24   Jan 27, 2005 5:51 pm
Yes, I second that.

Welcome to the forums!

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #25   Jan 27, 2005 5:55 pm
Always glad to see a happy ending !   

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

AJace

Reply #26   Jan 27, 2005 7:33 pm
Welcome Cole.  That's about what I ending up paying for my 1128 LE.  Deals are good aren't they   

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #27   Jan 27, 2005 8:03 pm
hi Colecacola.

nice to hear you got the GOOD deal after all.

and also good that you have a good service spot in the unlikley event that you need somthing in 10 or 15 years.

i would say you got the 3 goods...

good machine

good price

good service...

now bring on the snow

good luck.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
colecacola

Reply #28   Jan 27, 2005 10:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the great advice and welcomes! I look forward to learning and contributing.

To top it off, tonight I called Home Depot corporate headquarters, for the heck of it, to tell them about the situation, and without me asking for anything they volunteered to mail me an additional $100 gift certificate.

Now, I hope the reason why we’re hearing about Ariens’ factory quality control problems is because there are more owners to report problems…

Cole

This message was modified Jan 27, 2005 by colecacola

18Degrees

Reply #29   Jan 27, 2005 11:32 pm
Welcome Cole,   Please keep in touch for more input in the future.

18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
AJace

Reply #30   Jan 28, 2005 7:01 pm
They just keep going. 

navihawk

Reply #31   Jan 28, 2005 9:15 pm
Hey Colaman and Chris_s...I stand corrected on the Ariens being a lesser machine at HD.
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #32   Jan 28, 2005 9:26 pm
Steve......

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #33   Jan 28, 2005 9:55 pm
SnowRemover wrote:
I hate to be an ass, but could you explain why my posts are unproductive, and this post is productive?

--SnowRemover
Well you better learn to love it or you'll be awful unhappy the rest of your life.

Chris was being nice and letting someone know that they were understood and it made them feel good too. It's a form of positive communication. 95% of what you post is done so with an agenda in mind. I said that when you first came here, some didn't believe me, but I have just about seen it all and you're easy to spot. You're proving my point more and more, thank you. I got your number though, you know it too, I can tell.

I won't ban you, but don't piss off Chris. LOL
This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by Marshall
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #34   Jan 28, 2005 10:39 pm
That comment was out of respect for my friend.....

He will understand that and that is all I cared about.....

Tick, tick, tick.......

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Termy

Reply #35   Jan 28, 2005 10:41 pm
If you were to compare Walmart to Home Depot as far as service and support, I would have to say there about the same. What do you guys think?

Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #36   Jan 30, 2005 5:41 pm
I don't know Terminator, I'm a lot more inclined to go to HD then Walmart. AT least in some cases, you will find someone at HD with a clue, I have yet to find anyone at Walmart with any clue whatsoever!

I agree there are some similarities between the two but I have more faith in the people working at HD, IMHO

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
navihawk

Reply #37   Jan 30, 2005 7:27 pm
Walmart badgers manufacturers to lower prices and in turn we lose jobs here.Boycott walmart  now.Everyone passthe word......Back to blowers....Mine came out of a box from Sears.A few adjustments and assembly and your up and running.Make sure there is not oil dripping anywhere.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #38   Jan 30, 2005 7:36 pm
I buy two things from Wal Mart, Winchester White Box Ammo and any scripts. Target gets the rest now and may get scripts.

Replies: 1 - 38 of 38View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42