Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens and Home Depot

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
colecacola

Ariens and Home Depot
Original Message   Jan 25, 2005 5:11 pm

Based on recommendations from this forum I purchased an Ariens 8526 in late December. The local dealer, at the time, did not have any in stock, so I bought it at Home Depot.

I read the manual and did the break in procedure. All seemed ok. With about five inches on the ground (I have a large driveway (triple wide garage) and live on a corner lot)), the 8526 traveled, in 1st gear, about ten feet and then stopped. Wouldn’t move…

Rather than fix the machine, I brought it back to Home Depot and upgraded to the 11528LE (for about $100 more than the 8526).

I also did the break in procedure, and with eight inches of snow on the ground, with drifts up to 28 inches, it took about three minutes of operation before the impeller stopped turning. It squealed like a pig on crack.

I spent four hours going through the manual and checking everything, but couldn’t get it to work. So, I bypassed Home Depot (sick of changing machines), and called the local Ariens service dealer. They picked it up the following day (yesterday), and said that a washer/bolt broke internally but it should work from now on (the person relaying the info didn’t have the specifics, and I hope to track down exactly what the problem is at a later time).

They dropped it back at my house this morning, and I went home over lunch today and removed the snowdrifts that I couldn’t move on Saturday (back pain and ticked off). Today, the temp was about 38 degrees, the 11528 shot the heavy snow about 15-25 feet. I’m guessing this is normal performance for the conditions.

Home Depot, because of two machines not working at no fault of mine, is offering a $25 gift certificate (rather than give me the $$ difference between the price I paid for the 11528 last week and the now clearance price). They say it’s corporate policy to not honor recent purchases against clearance items (only sale items).

Snowblower gurus, what would you do…am I out for blood and needlessly taking on a big corporation by demanding the difference between the price I paid and the clearance price (about $190)? Or, take the $25 gift certificate and call it a lesson learned?

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by colecacola

Ariens 11528LE snowthrower; Honda Harmony II HRR216SDA lawnmower; Ryobi 825R gas trimmer ; Anti-perspirant deodorant
Replies: 1 - 38 of 38View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 38 of 38View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42