Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens and Home Depot

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
colecacola

Ariens and Home Depot
Original Message   Jan 25, 2005 5:11 pm

Based on recommendations from this forum I purchased an Ariens 8526 in late December. The local dealer, at the time, did not have any in stock, so I bought it at Home Depot.

I read the manual and did the break in procedure. All seemed ok. With about five inches on the ground (I have a large driveway (triple wide garage) and live on a corner lot)), the 8526 traveled, in 1st gear, about ten feet and then stopped. Wouldn’t move…

Rather than fix the machine, I brought it back to Home Depot and upgraded to the 11528LE (for about $100 more than the 8526).

I also did the break in procedure, and with eight inches of snow on the ground, with drifts up to 28 inches, it took about three minutes of operation before the impeller stopped turning. It squealed like a pig on crack.

I spent four hours going through the manual and checking everything, but couldn’t get it to work. So, I bypassed Home Depot (sick of changing machines), and called the local Ariens service dealer. They picked it up the following day (yesterday), and said that a washer/bolt broke internally but it should work from now on (the person relaying the info didn’t have the specifics, and I hope to track down exactly what the problem is at a later time).

They dropped it back at my house this morning, and I went home over lunch today and removed the snowdrifts that I couldn’t move on Saturday (back pain and ticked off). Today, the temp was about 38 degrees, the 11528 shot the heavy snow about 15-25 feet. I’m guessing this is normal performance for the conditions.

Home Depot, because of two machines not working at no fault of mine, is offering a $25 gift certificate (rather than give me the $$ difference between the price I paid for the 11528 last week and the now clearance price). They say it’s corporate policy to not honor recent purchases against clearance items (only sale items).

Snowblower gurus, what would you do…am I out for blood and needlessly taking on a big corporation by demanding the difference between the price I paid and the clearance price (about $190)? Or, take the $25 gift certificate and call it a lesson learned?

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by colecacola

Ariens 11528LE snowthrower; Honda Harmony II HRR216SDA lawnmower; Ryobi 825R gas trimmer ; Anti-perspirant deodorant
Replies: 29 - 38 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
18Degrees

Re: Ariens and Home Depot
Reply #29   Jan 27, 2005 11:32 pm
Welcome Cole,   Please keep in touch for more input in the future.

18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #30   Jan 28, 2005 7:01 pm
They just keep going. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

navihawk

Reply #31   Jan 28, 2005 9:15 pm
Hey Colaman and Chris_s...I stand corrected on the Ariens being a lesser machine at HD.
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #32   Jan 28, 2005 9:26 pm
Steve......

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #33   Jan 28, 2005 9:55 pm
SnowRemover wrote:
I hate to be an ass, but could you explain why my posts are unproductive, and this post is productive?

--SnowRemover
Well you better learn to love it or you'll be awful unhappy the rest of your life.

Chris was being nice and letting someone know that they were understood and it made them feel good too. It's a form of positive communication. 95% of what you post is done so with an agenda in mind. I said that when you first came here, some didn't believe me, but I have just about seen it all and you're easy to spot. You're proving my point more and more, thank you. I got your number though, you know it too, I can tell.

I won't ban you, but don't piss off Chris. LOL
This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by Marshall
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #34   Jan 28, 2005 10:39 pm
That comment was out of respect for my friend.....

He will understand that and that is all I cared about.....

Tick, tick, tick.......

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Termy

Reply #35   Jan 28, 2005 10:41 pm
If you were to compare Walmart to Home Depot as far as service and support, I would have to say there about the same. What do you guys think?

Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #36   Jan 30, 2005 5:41 pm
I don't know Terminator, I'm a lot more inclined to go to HD then Walmart. AT least in some cases, you will find someone at HD with a clue, I have yet to find anyone at Walmart with any clue whatsoever!

I agree there are some similarities between the two but I have more faith in the people working at HD, IMHO

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
navihawk

Reply #37   Jan 30, 2005 7:27 pm
Walmart badgers manufacturers to lower prices and in turn we lose jobs here.Boycott walmart  now.Everyone passthe word......Back to blowers....Mine came out of a box from Sears.A few adjustments and assembly and your up and running.Make sure there is not oil dripping anywhere.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #38   Jan 30, 2005 7:36 pm
I buy two things from Wal Mart, Winchester White Box Ammo and any scripts. Target gets the rest now and may get scripts.

Replies: 29 - 38 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42