Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 1128LE (924121) gear selector moves by itself

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
steverons

Ariens 1128LE (924121) gear selector moves by itself
Original Message   Dec 23, 2009 5:27 am
Hi all!

As I was blowing the snow the other day, the gear selector on my Ariens moved from 1 to 3rd to full speed all by itself.  After I shifted it back to 1st gear, it did it again.  It wouldn't stay in the lowest gear, or 2nd or 3rd.

Any suggestions?
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Ariens 1128LE (924121) gear selector moves by itself
Reply #1   Dec 23, 2009 7:52 am
There is a compression spring under the dash at the base of the shift lever.  You could try tightening that and checking for anything loose in the movements for the lever there. 

If that does not work check the linkage down to the base.   Put the machine on it's bucket and take off the bottom cover in look in to see if anything in the friction disk movements are loose.   Shift through reverse to 5th pulling on the friction disk and assocciated parts to look for looseness that might cause the friction disk to move sending some force back up through the shift linkage. 

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42