Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens traction control or Toro chute??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowgo

Ariens traction control or Toro chute??
Original Message   Nov 11, 2009 10:37 am
I'm in the market for a new snow blower and trying to narrow down my choices. I started a post here a month or so ago, with concerns on Simplicity's electric chute controls. As a brief recap, the primary use of this new snow blower will be to clear out a large corner lot, including a 3 car wide, 2 car length driveway. Due to the layout of the property, I have to blow the snow all the way over from one side of the driveway (across the 3 car widths) to the other side ... and over a row of 4 foot tall hedges on that other side.

Being that I feel more comfortable with mechanical parts rather than electric, I'm dropping the Simplicity out of the choices. My choices are coming down to either one of the Ariens platinum deluxe models (24" or 27") or one of the Toros with the easy turning features. In a nutshell, I'm trying to prioritize what's more important to me ... the really slick chute controls of the Toro or the wheel/traction mechanism of the Ariens platinum machines. I really like the idea of not having to worry about cable freeze-ups in the turning mechanism, which is why I would go platinum instead of just regular deluxe on the Ariens.

Any thoughts on this???

Thanks,

Bob
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Snowmann

Re: Ariens traction control or Toro chute??
Reply #1   Nov 11, 2009 2:12 pm
Bob, the Platinum Deluxe model does have the Quick Turn chute control that is easy to use and fast (locks and unlocks automatically). Have you used given it a try? The cap control is actuated separately though. The Automatic Traction Control and Quick Turn chute are great when you need to do alot of turning or blowing around obstacles (cars, buildings, landscaping, etc.). These types of features are less of a benefit when clearing large unobstructed areas.

One thing you may also want to consider is the throwing distance on the Ariens is tops. Consumer Reports indicated the 27" Deluxe threw farther than any unit ever tested. This included a 928 Honda that was evaluated simultaneously. You'll also save $200 to $300 dollars over the Toro and get the handwarmers to boot.
borat

Reply #2   Nov 11, 2009 3:17 pm
Not the Toro.
mikiewest

Reply #3   Nov 11, 2009 7:30 pm
First of all they (consumer reports)didnt even use snow to evaluate the snow throwing distance on the snowblowers.They used wood chips.Secondly,after watching numerous videos on youtube,I have yet to see an Ariens throw snow farther than a Honda 928.Maybe snowmann can provide a tape of an Ariens throwing snow farther than a Honda....Its strange that Ariens wont tell me what those other machines r in their video. maybe snowmann can enlighten us...
This message was modified Nov 11, 2009 by mikiewest
snowgo

Reply #4   Nov 11, 2009 7:50 pm
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I have read a few of your posts and respect your opinions.

Snowmann: I have played with the Platinum Deluxe chute controls. To me the Toro's chute controls seem to work much smoother and easier. The Ariens Quick Turn chute controls I played with seemed to have a lot of play in them before locking into place. I'm guessing the weight/momentum of a steel chute swinging back and forth versus a plastic chute might have something to do with that. Just my observations. That's one of the reasons I liked the Toro's chute better ... that reason and also because both the turning and cap controls are integrated into one lever. Nice!

I'm glad you mentioned about the throwing distance of the 27" Deluxe. Are you referring to the Platinum Deluxe or regular Deluxe? ... or doesn't it matter? Throwing distance is important to me, especially when trying to launch the wet, heavy snow that the city plows leave at the base of the driveway across 3 car widths. Getting rid of the city plow stuff is the hardest part for me. I live on the very end of the block that the city plow gets to last. In other words, by the time the plow gets to my house, it already has a blade full of snow collected from going down the entire street before it gets to my house ... if you know what I'm trying to explain. (Also, do you know off-hand which issue of Consumer Reports that report was written in? If not, no big deal. I'm sure I can find it with a little searching).

If it helps to know, I also need to plow out openings from the sidewalk to the street in 3 different locations along the sidewalk.

The hand warmers sounds like a nice perk, but not necessary (to me). The dollar savings is always something to consider though.

Thanks again.
borat

Reply #5   Nov 11, 2009 8:55 pm
It takes a mighty machine to launch a full housing of heavy wet snow thirty to forty feet. Chances are that you might have to move the snow more than once. Particularly the end of driveway deposit.

I wouldn't be too enamoured with the gizmos. Machine build quality, engine power/reliability, simplicity of design, easy handling, snow moving efficiency and cost are most important. If you don't do your own maintenance, dealer support is also crucial. Go with the strongest, simplest, best built, least expensive machine you can find. Don't get dazzled by the "tinsel and toy" factor.
opecrazy

Reply #6   Nov 12, 2009 9:48 am
Personally I wouldn't go with the traction control on the Ariens.  I have read and heard that if you drive over a patch of ice with one wheel, then that wheel will be the only one spinning.  The other wheel that is off the ice will be unlocked, thus the machine won't move forward.  If you go with an Ariens then go with the deluxe series that doesn't have the traction control.  It is much simpler and you can have full time all wheel drive when needed.

Your other option is the Toro, but the 828oxe with the easy turn is $1700 MSRP!  Even if you got it for $1500 with a promotion it still would be a lot! I don't know your local prices but a Ariens dlx plat 24 is around $1300-1400 around here in CT.

If money is not a main concern then I would definitely recommend a Toro.  Others will come in and say they are cheap but that is not the case.

Quick Chute -  Yes it is mostly plastic but therefore it is light.  The amount of force needed to move it is therefore much less.  This is why it feels so smooth.  Also if you look at the bottom connection of the chute and bucket housing you will notice that there is a large "floating" gap.  Therefore there is no friction or chances of ice build up to jam the rotation of the chute.  Also the design has been around for almost six years.  In other words: it works!

Extended Housing intake - The housing area is larger so any snow that has not been thrown can get recycled into the impeller by the augers.  This is a plus since the machine only throws the amount it can throw, instead of overwhelming itself and throwing a shorter distance.

Freewheel steering - I have no personal experience with this feature, but comparing parts diagrams it looks more heavy duty than any other offerings out there.  A bonus of this feature is the ability to put the machine in to neutral by squeezing both triggers.  This is great when you want to back the machine up yourself, but you don't want to disengage the drive lever.

There are a couple local landscape companies that use the power max machines for snow removal in the winter.  I think they also use the single stage machines from Toro but that is besides the point.
This message was modified Nov 12, 2009 by opecrazy
Snowmann

Reply #7   Nov 13, 2009 2:42 pm
opecrazy wrote:
Personally I wouldn't go with the traction control on the Ariens.  I have read and heard that if you drive over a patch of ice with one wheel, then that wheel will be the only one spinning.  The other wheel that is off the ice will be unlocked, thus the machine won't move forward.  If you go with an Ariens then go with the deluxe series that doesn't have the traction control.  It is much simpler and you can have full time all wheel drive when needed.

This is incorrect. This would be the case with a planetary differential (which is why they are equipped with lockouts). The Auto Traction Control is completely different and does not require a lockout or any other operator interface (hence, Automatic).
opecrazy

Reply #8   Nov 13, 2009 5:51 pm
Snowmann, I was not referring to the remote lockout models.  I was referring to the Automatic Traction Control machines.  I have read and heard that the "automatic" mechanism can get tricked and only supplies power to the slipping wheel, instead of the wheel that has actual grip.

In the scenario I illustrate, the wheel that is on the ice will continue to rotate, while the wheel on the ground will not move.  Once again because of the ATC mechanism.
This message was modified Nov 13, 2009 by opecrazy
snowgo

Reply #9   Nov 13, 2009 9:20 pm
opecrazy wrote:
Snowmann, I was not referring to the remote lockout models.  I was referring to the Automatic Traction Control machines.  I have read and heard that the "automatic" mechanism can get tricked and only supplies power to the slipping wheel, instead of the wheel that has actual grip.

In the scenario I illustrate, the wheel that is on the ice will continue to rotate, while the wheel on the ground will not move.  Once again because of the ATC mechanism.

Hmmm. Wouldn't you think it would work the opposite way? ... in that the power would be supplied to the wheel that still has the traction and not the one that's slipping?
This message was modified Nov 13, 2009 by snowgo
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #10   Nov 14, 2009 5:36 am
The Automatic traction control is awesome! I really love it and it makes turning my machine so much easier.  30" machine like mine is a fairly large rig and I don't think I would ever go that size without it. As for the quick chute over traction control and throwing end of driveway snow far, I am with borat on that.  EOD is heavy, don't be surprised if you have to blow it twice, specially later in the season when the snow banks are high. I have all sorts of brand names around me and all in different sizes.  When the heavy wet packed snow comes into play, they all struggle to some degree.  As for the features, ditto again.. Look at the build quality of the machines in question.  But I must say, the traction control is nice.

To the poster taking about the traction control slipping on ice, when going straight..  I see that you read this information, can you post a link?  I have never had that happen to me and I get A LOT of ice in my drive.  I find it a bit hard to believe, but not impossible.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42