Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow Removal strategy, I need advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Jerry944T

Toro 8/26 LE
Love the joystick!

Snow Removal strategy, I need advice
Original Message   Jan 22, 2005 8:21 am
It looks like we're finally getting some major snow in the Philadelphia area. Forcasts are all over the place but it could be upwards of 15". Along with the snow, most of which will fall in the afternoon and through the night, we will be getting blizzard like conditions and very cold weather.

I have a paved area that is about 50' x 70' to clear as well as a 280' gravel driveway. What I have done in the past, which was only one time since there hasn't been much snow here, was to set my skids as low as possible for the paved area and raised them for the gravel area (Thank you again Robmits for the gravel skids).

I don't enjoy playing with skid heights since I'm usually hypothermic after any given time and blizzzard conditions doesn't have a good sound to it.

The question is would you experienced guys wait for the snow to completely stop and then remove it or would you do it in stages which would require multiple skid adjustments with frozen hands. Thankfully this is happening over a weekend so there are no time factors.

Thanks for the anticipated advice. I will give you a full report on the Toro's first real test.

Jerry

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
patsfan

Re: Snow Removal strategy, I need advice
Reply #3   Jan 22, 2005 9:56 am
Hi Jerry,

I didn't notice your post at first,and asked a similar question under the New England Blizzard thread. Sorry about that !  You have a nice machine there. I bought my Toro in December of '03,and they didn't have the steering capability then. So I guess we'll both find out how good the Toros do under less than easy conditions.

Happy snowthrowing! 

This message was modified Jan 22, 2005 by patsfan

formerly OT
Jerry944T

Toro 8/26 LE
Love the joystick!

Reply #4   Jan 22, 2005 10:49 am
Thanks guys. It's coming down hard and fast. I have used the Toro in one 8" snowfall so I'm not a complete virgin. As far as the steering I haven't  found that to be a factor. As soon as the surface gets a little slippery it's rather easy to turn the machine right around with no great effort, both wheels driving.  I just put some weight on the inboard wheel and that unloads the outside wheel and around it goes.

One think I really enjoyed about the Toro was the joystick which allowed you to easily avoid getting snow blown back in your face. This should be a godsend with blizzard like conditions forcast for tomorrow.

Jerry

robmints

Reply #5   Jan 22, 2005 1:10 pm
Jerry,
They come with a lifetime warranty. I think we should do a redesign, so you can easily add some 3/8 plates to the bottom of the skids set at pavement height.. If you want to send me a email robmints@qis.net.

If we make a couple of plates you can carry them in your pocket and when you get to the gravel, put them on and hold them in place with wing nuts or something.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2005 1:10 pm
Those should performs without any problems.    If they don't, I'd like to hear about them!

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #7   Jan 22, 2005 1:16 pm
Hello Jerry,

For me I prefer to wait until it is all finished, then go out and take care of business.  You have a machine there that will allow you that option so I would take advantage of that.....

Enjoy the storm.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #8   Jan 22, 2005 1:40 pm
HI...

Using a snowblower... I'd try to wait until there's no / little wind...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Jerry944T

Toro 8/26 LE
Love the joystick!

Reply #9   Jan 22, 2005 8:16 pm
We got about 8 to 10 inches here in the Philadelphia suburbs. I waited until it stopped and did the hard top. It cleared almost to the macadam. I then reset the skids since my hands were still warm and did the gravel drive. I only picked up a few stones from the crown of the driveway. They made a nasty rattling noise but didn't seem to do any harm. I did notice that the chute material, which was recalled by Toro and replaced, muffled the sounds of the gravel much more than before it was recalled. I'm guessing the new chute is made of a thicker material.

The Toro performed perfectly. At full speed it never felt like it was laboring and threw the snow a helacious distance. Now granted this was a very light and dry snow but throwing distance was easily 40 feet

Jerry

Cajunblu

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Reply #10   Jan 23, 2005 2:35 am
Started here in Boston about 4:30PM Sat. And is expected to stop late afternoon Sun. Here it is 2:30AM Sun. Wind gusts up to 30 to 45 mph. Theres about 8 to 10" with 3 and 4' drifts up and down the street, cars plowed in up to the door handles, and the worst is yet to come. I'm waiting until it stops completely. Besides the "Snow Twins" are over, and there keeping me occupied till then...

Were expecting approx. 30 + inches when its done. The Twins are expecting a little less......Ok, a lot less.

Robert

Craftsman 888531 9/28 Easy Steer.

"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles,
and the letters get in the wrong places"

Emmo

Reply #11   Jan 23, 2005 3:09 pm
Cajunblu wrote:

Were expecting approx. 30 + inches when its done. The Twins are expecting a little less......Ok, a lot less.

Robert

Robert.........

Even going metric (30 cm) would have been impressive!!
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #12   Jan 23, 2005 3:42 pm
See I told you that it would go just perfect, didn't I?

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42