Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > If you want snow, YOU GOT IT!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Torch

If you want snow, YOU GOT IT!
Original Message   Jan 21, 2005 9:06 am
I have to say, you guys are one hell of a group.  I was doing a search for snow thrower a couple weeks ago when I found the WTBL site.  Just as it was going down.  I've always been a shoveler, love snow, love to shovel it.  I just take my portable CD player, put on some hard rockin' music and I swear I can shovel the planet.  People could never understand why I liked shoveling and told me I should get a snow thrower.  I would tell them "I'm the snow thrower."  No need for a weenie machine.  I just finished building a home, moved in just before Christmas.  Lived in an apartment for too many years, but still used to shovel out the senior citizens in my building and walk arond the complex helping to dig people out.  I would also shovel my mom's and still do.  Two years ago I actually tried the snow thrower that was in my mom's garage.  It was an old Toro and would backfire among other problems.  But even in it's sad condition, I could still see the appeal of using one.  That's why it would drive my dad nuts when I would go out to shovel the snow because he wanted to use the thrower.  And he would get carried away.  I would be shoveling in the back and he would disappear.  I would go out front and wonder where the hell he was, then all of a sudden here's this big plume of snow up above the tall bushes by the house at the end of the block.  Yeah, it's a lot of fun.  When it comes to snow I guess...no, I know I'm still a kid, always will be.

I still don't own one yet, but was definitely considering one.  That's how I ended up here.  I could see a lot of people finding this site, reading the posts, and thinking you guys are all nuts.  But you're a good group.  In one of your posts, someone brought up the ised of having a big snow party where everyone gets togther with their throwers and just goes to town.  What a killer idea. 

I haven't bought a thrower but have definitely been looking at them and have been using a lot of what I read here as criteria to make a decision.  So thanks to all of you. 

Anyway, snow.  I live in northwest Indiana, aka the Chicagoland area.  Were supposed to get 6" to 8" tonight followed by 4" to 6" tomorrow, looks pretty promising.  That's more like it, and it's about damn time.

James

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: If you want snow, YOU GOT IT!
Reply #6   Jan 21, 2005 2:37 pm
I'll take an OHV engine over a side valve any day. However, if the OHV engine is on an inferior piece of equipment, I will probably opt for the side valve and the better made machine.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   Jan 21, 2005 2:39 pm
The best for your money is the Ariens 926 DLE, and it has the OHV engine on it.  Great Sno-Thro. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Emmo

Reply #8   Jan 21, 2005 3:58 pm
Torch wrote:

Emmo, Merrillville, almost a bullseye.  Just a tad southwest of there.  I'm in Crown Point, but it's actually unincorporated St. John as it's considered St. John Township.  Didn't move too far.  Lived in Schererville before that.  Are you from that area originally, or just familiar with it for some other reason?

James.....I used to drive from Ohio to Wisconsin about 2X/month for several years.  I took US30 across Northen Indiana and picked up I 65 at  Merrillville.  This was a good place to stop for fuel and food.  Broke the trip up, nearly the half way point.

Again welcome!
Termy

Reply #9   Jan 21, 2005 5:46 pm
Welcome Torch! to www.abbysguide.com (is your name from unreal tournament?)

We usually don't get alot of snow where I live, but this year when we did, it was a record in several years! Can you believe for years we were missing 6 to 10 inches of snow! Well, we got it this year and it stayed for about 3 days than it was gone. Well, I made use of it with my snow granade launcher. Kids loved it too. We have been getting warm breese out of the blue lately! We are talking like in the 50's I think its got to do with global warming. What do you guys think? Is that what you think it is?

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #10   Jan 21, 2005 6:27 pm
Welcome!,

Once you start blowing you never go back to shoveling lol.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Cajunblu

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Reply #11   Jan 21, 2005 7:14 pm
Welcome Troch,

Enjoyed you post, your Dad sounds like a lot of us once you get going you can't stop.

We had about 4" here yesterday and I was doing all my neighbors, plus four new ones...

Wait till you get one...Just wait

Again Welcome to the board

Robert

Sure wish we had a post preview...

Craftsman 888531 9/28 Easy Steer.

"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles,
and the letters get in the wrong places"

Dave

Craftsman 88799

Reply #12   Jan 21, 2005 10:24 pm
Welcome Torch.  I love the snow but hate shoveling. Since I got my snowblower a couple years ago, it can snow all it wants! I think it's a feeling of power, man and machine against the elements. Happy shoveling, and let us know if you decide to get a snowblower. You won't regret it

Dave

Termy

Reply #13   Jan 21, 2005 10:39 pm
I have shovled snow and that is a piece of cake! Why don't you try shoveling threw clay and rock dirt soil

When it snows here, shoveling is easy. There is not a ton to do and it does not take too long. Now, I will admit that a snowblower would be alot of fun using on my small driveway, but would be overkill. But the reason I hate shoveling is not because of snow, its because of the digging I do in landscaping. That is tough work and you know it after doing a full hours worth or more.

Torch

Reply #14   Jan 24, 2005 12:40 am
Marshall, I woould agree with you about the better built machine.  I'm kind of old school when it comes to that in that I like to know what the weight of something is if I think it is relative to its quality.  Even in the audio world, if I've got to choose between two amplifiers with the same power rating and performance, and one of them is 25 lbs and the other is 40, I'm gonna pick the 40 lb and better made unit.

AJace, that 926 machine comes up a lot here.  It appears that you have one.  For how long and have you had any problems with it?  How does it handle the wet/heavy stuff?  The guy across the street has an orange snow thrower.  I'm going to ask him what it is, see what he thinks of it.

Emmo, Ohio to Wisconsin 2x a month, that's a pretty good road trip.  Don't know when the last ime you made that rip was, but they've done a lot of construction on that 30/65 junction. 

Thanks T-20.  No, the name Torch comes from softball.  I do alright with the bat.  I actually called another guy on the team that couldn't hit so well Torch just to try to get him going.  But then I came up and roped one and my buddy Rich said "there's the Torch" and it stuck.  So much so that none of them call me by my real name when they see me.  And if I had to shovel what you do for a good part of the day, I would most likely have a different perspective on shoveling snow too.

ChrisS, that's one heck of a way to put it, but I would have to agree based on the one time I did use a snow thrower.

Cajunblu, thanks.  Yeah, my dad was out of control with that machine.  And he wouldn't let me use it.  Probably because he knew he would hae to race me to it when it snowed.  Although if I was shoveling and was in his range, he turned the chute on me (typical dad there). 

Thanks Dave.  I still like the shoveling, but now that I have to do my Mom's house as well as mine, it would be nice to save some time by having a snow thrower.  I'm sure I'm going to get one soon and when I do, I'll let you guys know what I purchased.

I don't know how you guys did on the snow front this weekend, but we got blasted.  The lied about the 6-8" on Friday, only got 3".  But they also lied about Saturday with the 4-6", WE GOT 24"!  I just saw the channel two news weather report and they said Crown Point was the big winner with 24".  But man, it was beautiful out there.  I couldn't help but wish I had pulled the trigger on a snow thrower already.

Have a good one,

Torch/James

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #15   Jan 24, 2005 1:07 am
Well, I got it 11/04.  I have only used it one time...this weekend.  I haven't used it in wet/heavy snow.  If you are concerned about it bogging down, try the 1126 DLE if you have the money. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42