Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > auger and impeller protection

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

auger and impeller protection
Original Message   Jan 22, 2009 10:12 pm
What would be good to spray on the auger and impeller to prevent rust.DuPont has a product called Teflon snow and ice repellant .Would that or one of their other products be ok?
Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: auger and impeller protection
Reply #2   Jan 23, 2009 6:38 am
I spray the chute, augers, impellers and impeller housing with WD-40 at the end of the season to help prevent rusting from moisture during the summer.  I have a corner in the garage where I can store it, covered with an old sheet.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
trouts2

Reply #3   Jan 23, 2009 7:22 am
   An automotive hard clear seems like it would be tough enough to add some protection inexpensively.

Rustoleum holds up pretty well in the chute and intake housing. 

Must for Rust, available at Home Depot,  is pretty good at attacking existing rust or protecting open spots.  I'm putting it on machines all the time when they are dry.   After the rust gets neutralized the machine gets touched up with matching Rustoleum.   There are paints that are much tougher than Rustoleum but it holds up well, does not cost much, and there are lots of colors for matching old paint. 

Moderator Denis

Reply #4   Jan 23, 2009 9:07 am
borat wrote:
Trying to prevent rust on the augers and impeller is a lost cause.  Get used to it being there.  If you're that concerned, you could repaint them at the end of the season with a resilient epoxy paint.   

The only way to prevent rust on the impeller us almost impossible like Borat said, well you can after each use put a giant heat fan blower to dry the impeller but we dont have to go crazy about the rust on that part...

garysherck

Reply #5   Jan 23, 2009 11:54 am
Denis,
how can we get one of these ants?
can you believe I tried to pick it off my computer screen.
what a funny feeling when it just went below the screen.
thanks for a bit of cheer.
gary
nibbler

Ant
Reply #6   Jan 26, 2009 11:07 am
  1. Place mouse cursor on animated image;
  2. Right click;
  3. select "Copy Image";
  4. Paste into an Open Office or Word document or add to your signature.
Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42