Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower augers rotating backwards?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Underdog

Snowblower augers rotating backwards?
Original Message   Dec 17, 2008 10:01 am
Is it really possible to install the snowblower augers backwards?  I replaced the bearings and decided to do a little preventive maintenance and clean and repainted the auger axle. Everything runs like new with one exception.  During the first snowfall of the year i noticed that most of the snow was being thrown outside of the snow bucket, not inward toward the impeller.    The impeller works fine, so I know that's not on backwards.

Because of the safety/lockout controls I cannot see the augers moving while the engine is running.  And I'm on my own. Maybe I'll wrap a bungie cord around the control that engages the auger so I can check.  Geezzz.

This message was modified Dec 17, 2008 by Underdog

Replies: 1 - 10 of 14NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ajallen

Re: Snowblower augers rotating backwards?
Reply #1   Dec 17, 2008 10:33 am
Yes it is. You put the right hand auger on the left side and the left hand auger on the right side. Turn them around and you will be back in business. What model is that?

AJ

This message was modified Dec 17, 2008 by ajallen
Underdog

Reply #2   Dec 17, 2008 10:54 am
ajallen wrote:
Yes it is. You put the right hand auger on the left side and the left hand auger on the right side. Turn them around and you will be back in business. What model is that?

Thanks for confirming this. I was going to label them when I took them off but then I held them up next to each other and they looked identical.  I could have rotated them before installing them in the housing.  Its a Yamaha YS828 running on tracks.

Here's a photo of a low mileage yamaha for comparison:

This message was modified Dec 17, 2008 by Underdog

friiy

Reply #3   Dec 17, 2008 3:30 pm
How is the choke rod doing?   DId you fix it yet?

Friiy

pvrp

Reply #4   Dec 17, 2008 3:33 pm
The teeth on your auger blades look awfully worn.  Are they perhaps rubbing on the ground ?

Paul
Underdog

Reply #5   Dec 17, 2008 6:18 pm
friiy wrote:
How is the choke rod doing?   DId you fix it yet?

The rod is jury rigged for now.  When I opened the JB weld tubes to "weld" it on one of the tubes was defective.   I have to exchange it.  Someone posted the owner's manual for the blower and it been a big help in setting things up correctly.  I did get to play with it in the snow this morning ,  too bad the augers are backwards.  We are expecting more snow on Friday. 

Underdog

Reply #6   Dec 17, 2008 6:21 pm
pvrp wrote:
The teeth on your auger blades look awfully worn.  Are they perhaps rubbing on the ground ?
Yes the auger blades are worn. Some people don't believe in adjusting the skids.   That includes the previous owner. 

Underdog

Reply #7   Dec 19, 2008 9:39 am
I took the bucket off and flipped them around last night. It took me the best part of 3 hours.  All is fine now. I would have considered all this a complete waiste of time but I found a mistake (another one) that I made the last time I assembled the bucket. So at least that is now fixed. All ready for the big storms (12")  we are expecting this weekend. 

pvrp

Reply #8   Dec 19, 2008 9:44 am
Underdog wrote:
I took the bucket off and flipped them around last night. It took me the best part of 3 hours.  All is fine now. I would have considered all this a complete waiste of time but I found a mistake (another one) that I made the last time I assembled the bucket. So at least that is now fixed. All ready for the big storms (12")  we are expecting this weekend. 

Well at least you didn't do what I did when I restored my machine a month ago.  After reassembling
everything and having a bit of difficulty inserting a shear bolt I determined that I had installed
the augers backwards so disassembled everything and switched them.  Only to find out that they
had been in fact ok the first time, so I had to change everything back again.  It was a long day.

Paul
slowball

Reply #9   Jan 15, 2009 4:52 pm
Have I done the same thing?
Is it really possible to install the snowblower augers backwards?  I replaced the bearings and decided to do a little preventive maintenance and clean and repainted the auger axle. Everything runs like new with one exception.  During the first snowfall of the year i noticed that most of the snow was being thrown outside of the snow bucket, not inward toward the impeller.    The impeller works fine, so I know that's not on backwards.

Because of the safety/lockout controls I cannot see the augers moving while the engine is running.  And I'm on my own. Maybe I'll wrap a bungie cord around the control that engages the auger so I can check.  Geezzz.

BeansBaxter

Reply #10   Jan 15, 2009 6:57 pm
Slowball,

It would appear so.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 14NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42