Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Old Ariens 6 hp Snow Thrower Spur Gear Replacement

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
earleb

Old Ariens 6 hp Snow Thrower Spur Gear Replacement
Original Message   Dec 10, 2008 8:07 pm
I've ordered a new spur gear but now I need step-by-step instructions on how to remove the wheel, axle assy etc., then to replace the new gear, put everything back where it should be and blow the snow. Hope you can help. Model No.910962 (tractor) Serial No. 0112865. Thanks earleb
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Old Ariens 6 hp Snow Thrower Spur Gear Replacement
Reply #1   Dec 11, 2008 10:39 am

The non-differential version of the 910962 is mostly the same.  The process is roughly:

1. Remove hub caps which are press fit so pop off.
  2. Remove hub cotter pins.
  3. Knock out roll pins, one near the spur gear and one opposite the spur side.
  4. Hubs are keyed so a tough to get off.
  5. The axle assembly then slips out and the spur gear can be removed.

The 910962 with differential has a few different steps.

On the differential side

1. Knock out the roll pin on the lock out hub, the larger round part with the mounted lockout knob (also held on with a roll pin).
  2. Knock out the axle roll pins like the above.
  3. On the non-differential hub side, remove the white plastic cover.
  4. Pop off the spring retainer.
  5. Remove the spindle cup (the castellated thing)
  6. Remove the wheel bolt
  7. At this point the axle should come out allowing the spur gear to be removed. 

I’m stuck on #6.  My 962 does not have a wheel bolt.  It seems to be an extension of the axle and the hub mated to it.  I’m not sure how to get the hub off the axle.  There should be a roll pin or cotter pin holding the hub on but I can’t find them so unsure what to do next.  It’s on the list for today.

This is the roll pin on the non-differential side.  On the model without differential there is a second pin by the internal support close to the spur gear.  That keeps the spur gear in place between the frame and the support.  For the non-differential model taking out both roll-pins and hubs allows the axle to slip out.  On the differential 962 there is no second roll-pin but the axle is held in place somehow.  I've cleaned up the axle and looked for a roll-pin that might broken flush to the axle but can't see one.

This is the non-differential side.  The hub does not have a screw to hold it on as shown in the parts breakdown. 

The differential side.  On the non-differential model there is a roll-pin between the spur gear and the support to the right.  It keeps the spur gear in place between the frame and the support.  I can't see a roll-pin or figure out what keeps the gear in place. 

The differential side hub is welded to the axle.  The hub does not seem to be hollow and slip over the axle.  It seems to be welded to it.  ??  Possibly the round section of the hubs have an extension that fits into the axle and is rust frozen.  ??

This message was modified Dec 11, 2008 by trouts2
pvrp

Reply #2   Dec 11, 2008 11:50 am
Owner's manual :  http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/STOI-71.pdf

Parts manual : http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/PRM-10000.pdf

Service manual : http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/PRM-10000.pdf

Paul
trouts2

Reply #3   Dec 13, 2008 10:22 am
Here's the rest of the removal for the differential style.

A single roll pin keeps everything together. 

With the roll pin removed the hub slides off.

The axle can then slide out and the spur gear removed.  What was confusing was the hub on the other side seemed welded to the axle which was odd but that's the way Ariens did it.  Most of the time they usually mounted the hub on the axle, keyed it and held it in place with a roll pin or cotter pin.

trouts2

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42