Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Blower won't move

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Blower won't move
Original Message   Jan 11, 2005 2:32 pm
Hi gang. With more snow coming down right now, I went out to the shed this morning to do a pre-check on the blower to make sure it's ready to go tomorrow morning when I get home from work. Started ok, and ran ok for a couple minutes. Out of nowhere it just stopped going forward or reverse. Auger is working and drive belt is working. It's not making any funny sounds either. I didn't have time to pull the back cover off to check the chains or drive disk yet. I had to eat and now it's off to get some rest for tonight. It's a circa 1990 JD 726. Here's a pic, with my back up next to it if I don't get it running. It's supposed to be another sloppy mix. Snow now, sleet later then rain all day tomorrow. This stuffs no fun!  LOL
                               Any help or what to look for is appreciated,    Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 9 - 18 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Blower won't move
Reply #9   Jan 13, 2005 2:27 pm
VG,

Looking at the axle, appears there was a pin holding axle in the Diff. You may have to open the Diff and see!

Fred

This message was modified Jan 13, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #10   Jan 13, 2005 2:50 pm
Hi Jubol. I guess  the diff would be what I'm calling a gear case.  LOL  I've stated on the forum before my mechanical knowledge of OPE is limited, but I suprise myself sometimes. Is the pin actually like a shear pin? Looks kind of involved to get the diff apart, but I'll check it out more over the weekend.              Thanks,  Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
SnowPro

Reply #11   Jan 13, 2005 3:05 pm
Vangellis wrote:
Hi Jubol. I guess  the diff would be what I'm calling a gear case.  LOL  I've stated on the forum before my mechanical knowledge of OPE is limited, but I suprise myself sometimes. Is the pin actually like a shear pin? Looks kind of involved to get the diff apart, but I'll check it out more over the weekend.              Thanks,  Kevin

Vangellis:  Don't open the differential !!  It is full of gears and with the limited knowledge that you stated, you could create more problems than you need.

What you need is to replace the small roll pins that hold the axle (actually called the differential connecting rod) together.  They are 1/8" x 1" long.  You should need 2 of them.  I keep them on hand always as they have a habit of shearing from time to time. 

From your picture, you can see them at the top of the axle. Drive them out, reconnect your axles and install new ones.  They should be about 10 cents each.  You may need a helper to hold one of the 2 axle/wheel combos to slide the 2 together.

If you need more info, I'll check in later tonight or you can PM me.

HTH

Ken

SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #12   Jan 13, 2005 4:39 pm
Get a Craftsman - they won't break down on you.

Now I have no proof of any of this, but hey, no one else does either, so my opinion should be GOLD.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
TheKneebiter

Reply #13   Jan 13, 2005 6:51 pm
after reading your other post and now this post i cant wait for you to get your craptsman snowblower. once you have your first problem you will be right back here crying. now this poor guy is out here trying to get a little help fixing his machine and you felt the need to highjack it for no sane reason SnowRemover wrote:

Now I have no proof of any of this, but hey, no one else does either, so my opinion should be GOLD.
This message was modified Jan 13, 2005 by TheKneebiter

robmints

Reply #14   Jan 13, 2005 7:24 pm
SnowRemover wrote:

Your opinoin is as golden as anyone elses.
robmints

Reply #15   Jan 13, 2005 7:31 pm
Kevin,

Don't over or under estimate your abilities. If you can get that mower deck on and off, you should be able to get some roll pins out and back in. Take your time and look closely, plenty of light. You might need a half way decent drift if it is stuck in the shaft. Luckily you have guys like Snowpro around to help.
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #16   Jan 13, 2005 8:23 pm
Vangellis wrote:

Vangellis,

Am I seeing this correctly? The valve stem is on the inside of the rim? Seems an odd place to put it.                                                 

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

nibbler

Reply #17   Jan 13, 2005 8:49 pm
The valve stem mounted on the inside means that  he has 5 or 6 reverse gears and only 2 foward ones.
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #18   Jan 13, 2005 9:07 pm
nibbler wrote:
The valve stem mounted on the inside means that  he has 5 or 6 reverse gears and only 2 foward ones.

Wouldn't that make it an older Italian model, WW II vintage?

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Replies: 9 - 18 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42