Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How to insert pictures

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Moderator admin

How to insert pictures
Original Message   Feb 11, 2008 3:03 pm
1.  Select 'New Topic' or "Reply"
2.  Enter text in the message area you wish to have surround the picture you are planning to add.
3.  Select the 'Insert/Edit Image' button just above the message area.  A small window pops up.
4.  In this window type the URL of the image you wish to insert.  It should begin with 'http://"  and end with ".gif" or ".jpg".  Click OK.
4b.  If the picture is on your personal hard drive you will need to upload it to a picture sharing/storage service like Flickr.  Once the picture is on that site you can simply cut and paste the URL of the image into the small window in step 4.

If you have ideas or opinions on uploading pictures please send Admin a PM.
This message was modified Jan 4, 2011 by admin
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Moderator Denis

Re: How to insert pictures
Reply #2   Feb 16, 2008 3:49 pm
trouts2 wrote:
One issue for me was a file name issue. There are many programs used to download from a camera to a PC. Some name files with capitals in the extension like .JPG or .GIF instead of .jpg and .gif. Most people are using Windows and capitals in filenames are generaly ignored.
My capture program lets me specify and change filenames but automatically tacks on the extension of .GIF and .JPG. When looking at files with Windows Explorer the file extensions are shown as text and not the real extension and capitals used no matter what is used in the original file.

For example:
For a files named aaa.gif, aaa.GIF aaa.jpg, aaa.JPG, aaa.jpeg, and aaa.JPEG

A dos window will show them like the above.

IE shows them as follows:
aaa GIF Image
aaa GIF Image
aaa JPEG Image
aaa JPEG Image
aaa JPEG Image
aaa JPEG Image

On a PC with Windows it does not matter. If the file is uploaded to a Unix box then it does matter.

If in the Abbys URL window aaa.jpg is specified and the real name is aaa.JPG the file willl not be found. Abbys software does not report an error or file not found. It displays an icon but no error indication so the user is not sure what happened or if the picture will show up later.

In my case my pictures were sent to my site which is hosted with a unix server. I specified aaa.jpg but the automatic software which removed the pictures named them .JPG. My picture manipulation program also shows the extensions like IE does so it was not immediatly apparent what the issue was with Abbys not being able to fetch my URL specification.
trouts2
Never use caps for extension file, just rename it before adding it to a server.

Moderator Denis

Reply #3   Mar 8, 2008 10:48 am
This  is the image link that you have to insert always check if it's start by http and its end by .jpg or .gif
This message was modified Apr 6, 2009 by Denis

Bill_H

Reply #4   Mar 27, 2008 10:11 pm
trouts2 said: "When looking at files with Windows Explorer the file extensions are shown as text and not the real extension and capitals used no matter what is used in the original file."

There's an easy way around this, go to Tools | Options. Under the View tab is a checkbox for "Hide file extensions for known file types", uncheck it.

Also, the easiest way to make a jpg or gif file is to just paste the pic into Paint, then use "Save As" select gif or jpg, it will do either.
This message was modified Mar 27, 2008 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #5   Mar 7, 2010 12:54 pm
I am using the Firefox browser in WINXP with Photobucket & have no problems. Some others seem to have the same problem as you (Borat for one, using a MAC)

Here are the icons you should see near the top of the message box: (cursor pointing at the "Insert/Edit Image" icon)

Once you click on that icon, this "Image Properties" window will pop open.

Then, you copy & paste the "Direct link" (as shown in Photobucket) into the URL box in the window, and click on OK.

The image will then appear in your message. It will remain there as long as your photo stays in Photobucket.

https://t.me/pump_upp
Moderator Denis

Reply #6   Jan 3, 2011 11:03 pm
When you finaly see the image in the box, simply click once on the image then you will see miniatures square around this one , that means that you can rezise it freely by holding you mouse arrow right on the corner and move it to resize it.

Good Luck

trouts2

Reply #7   Jan 16, 2011 8:42 pm
I have posted thread with pictures a number of times and it becomes a big headache. The pictures get duplicated for some reason by Abbys editor. Sometimes it happens on a cut and paste to another area. It also happens if I return to a thread to edit. On closing duplicate pictures and text show up. I edit those out and post again but when the post finalizes it shows the same duplicates and often more. This has happened a number of times and is a bug.
Moderator Denis

Reply #8   Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm
Trouts please refer me the specifics topic. It could happened sometimes, don't worry has long as we know or that it's been reported, we will correct the situation Regards Denis

NotMoneyGuy

Reply #9   Mar 13, 2011 12:49 pm
Question for the Admins; what is the best or optimum width in pixels to crop and re-size images to for posting here?  I usually go to 800 pixels or 900 pixels in width to keep everyone happy and to not blow out the formatting etc.  Is there a perfect width in pixels to use here?  Thanks.

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

Moderator Denis

Reply #10   Sep 17, 2011 6:29 pm
320x240 is acceptable

pstaecker

Reply #11   Jan 27, 2015 6:10 pm
1. done 2. in process.. 3. There is no such button. 4. NA 4a. NA Number 3 is the stopper. I'm using Chrome as my browser and W7 pro as OS. Also, I don't see any of the editing tools that are listed as available. Just joined today. Thanks
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42