Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > which Snowblower should I buy?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dohcrxl

which Snowblower should I buy?
Original Message   Feb 3, 2008 2:46 pm
Hi,

I live in Wisconsin and we get some pretty good snow here. What I need is a 16inch wide snowblower because my walkway is only 18" wide and I don't want to hit grass on either side of the walkway. I want it to be a 4 stroke because I heard it's easier starting and I don't like mixing fuel/oil. I also want as much HP as I can get in a machine that size. (preferably around 1000 pounds per minute rating)

My budget is $500. Could you please make a suggestion on a quality item that will last many year? Thanks.

Replies: 10 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Gelid

Re: which Snowblower should I buy?
Reply #10   Feb 11, 2008 3:59 am
I think his width limitations for sidewalk precludes a two-stage. :)

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
Paul7

Reply #11   Feb 11, 2008 3:41 pm
I know but if it were me I'd rather have a 2 stage.  I run my 2 stage over grass to help out the dogs.  It doesn't harm the grass at all.  Frankly I think that a single stage would be more likely to tear up grass.  I'd go for a used 24" 2 stage with around 7-8 hp since he want to move snow quickly...and adjusted properly it shouldn't hurt the lawn.
friiy

Reply #12   Apr 12, 2008 1:37 am
Mr. Borat,

I too share your love of two strokes,  but if i may correct your statement.

"In addition, new two strokes use less oil in their mix with fuel.  That combined with superior oils of the day, you will be pleasantly surprised with how clean they burn."

All two stroke engines have the same needs/ requirements,  over time only the quality of the oil has changed ..

Give me an old engine that says "25-1" mix in the manual,  I will run it all day on 100-1  ratio premium  2 stroke oil , or  25-1  ratio of SAE 10w30 

Likewise if you check most manuals of newer two strokes they give a alternate of 25-1 for use of SAE 10w30 or so on....

Replies: 10 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42