Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ariens vs. Simplicity

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
fczech

ariens vs. Simplicity
Original Message   Oct 8, 2007 6:58 pm
Ok,

I want to replace my 20 yr old Snapper 8 HP snowblower with an Ariens.  I checked out the Ariens 11528DLE and 1130DLE and I can not decide.  I read a discussion concerning something with locking the tire on one side manually?  Is there an automatic way of doing this?

I also notice the 1130DLE has an aluminum gear case, where the 11528 has cast iron.  Are they any other differences between the two?

Of course my brother has a Simplicity and thinks I should purchase one.

Frank

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
nibbler

Re: ariens vs. Simplicity
Reply #1   Oct 9, 2007 9:18 am
The 1130 is 2" wider than the 11528.

The 11528 is OHV while the 1130 is "L" Head, both by Tecumseh.

They appear to be rinky dinking you on the drift cutters for the 1130 since they are optional. I've hardly ever used drift cutters but for the cost of two pieces slightly textured, thick sheet steel I think its a bad marketing decision to not include them as standard.

Both have a differential which in normal usage directs power to the wheels much like a car differential does. It allows you to turn more easily. In some circumstances you might want to lock the wheels to the axle. This gives the best straight line traction but makes turning a lot harder since the wheel on the inside of the turn can't go slower than the wheel on the outside so slipping has to occur.

I've already pointed out in a previous posting that the FAQ is confusing. The FAQ talks about the "traction control on the Professional" and the "Remote Locking Axle on the Deluxe" but does not mention the 1130DLE which is a Deluxe with traction control. This harkens back to last year when only the Pro models had the "D" traction control. According to the FAQ the Pro's have a trigger on the left handle bar. I believe the Deluxe 1130DLE is the same but the web site doesn't make it clear.

Personally I think that whatever control there is, is a major feature, much more important than skid shoes, and should be listed in the feature section with a shiny picture.

If you go here you will find my original comments on the new 2007 Ariens lineup and the very informative postings from Snowman, an Ariens employee who periodically answers questions on posted here. He is very good at giving insight into why stuff is the way it is. He also mentions some other differences between the "Pro" and "Deluxe" lines. Basically the "Deluxe" is slightly smaller.
This message was modified Oct 9, 2007 by nibbler
Snowmann

Reply #2   Oct 9, 2007 8:08 pm
fczech wrote:
Ok,

I want to replace my 20 yr old Snapper 8 HP snowblower with an Ariens.  I checked out the Ariens 11528DLE and 1130DLE and I can not decide.  I read a discussion concerning something with locking the tire on one side manually?  Is there an automatic way of doing this?

I also notice the 1130DLE has an aluminum gear case, where the 11528 has cast iron.  Are they any other differences between the two?

Of course my brother has a Simplicity and thinks I should purchase one.

Frank

ST11528DLE Pro
Automatic Traction Control (2007/08 model only, prior models have trigger lockout)
Dual belt auger drive (2007/08 model only, prior models have single belt)
Cast Iron gear case
16" tires
OHV engine
926,XXX Pro Platform Transmission
16" rakes
23.5" tall housing
standard drift cutters
commercial duty runners

ST1130DLE Deluxe
Automatic Traction Control
Dual belt auger drive
Aluminum XS Heavy Duty gear case
15" tires
L-head engine
921,XXX Deluxe Platform Transmission
14" rakes
21" tall housing
reversible runners

Both have 14" impellers, hand warmers, halogen headlight, quick turn chute, remote cap deflector... The Deluxe is about 40 lbs lighter.
Make sure you get the 2007 model if you get the Pro (unless you get a big discount). The Automatic Traction Control and Dual belt auger drives are slick.
The automatic traction control locks and unlocks automatically for easy turning and traction, no trigger or actuation necessary. The dual belt auger drive ensures no auger belt adjustments will be needed.

PK
cuseguy

06 Ariens 9526DLE Pro, and '91 White 522 Track-Drive snowblower, Toro SR4 Super Recycler mower (alum deck)

Reply #3   Oct 9, 2007 11:53 pm
Simplicity uses a trigger controlled drive-unlock that allows the left wheel to freewheel, making only right hand turns easier. Since I have to blow right to left, with all left hand turns, due to prevailing wind conditions, this was one small factor that made me decide on an Ariens and their nice differential design. The Ariens differential is as close as you'll get to having power steering on a snowblower imo. My 110lb wife whips our new 270lb 9526 around like its nothing. Of course winter will be the real test, but I may have competition from her when it comes time to use the blower, since she loves it. She struggled with our old MTD 8HP to the point of not using it.
The previous Ariens Pro models (mine's a leftover 07) have used a trigger only to lock both wheels together when conditions warrant, otherwise its auto. There has been talk that the new 07-08 Ariens have done away with the trigger, at least on the Pro's and replaced it with a nifty fully auto differential. Either design is good IMO. Snowmann knows more about it, and he might explain if you ask him nicely.  Both brands make very nice machines and its just a matter of personal preference, dealer proximity/reputation and of course price. Toro makes a very nice machine also for a comparable price and was my second choice after the Ariens Pro line.
This message was modified Oct 10, 2007 by cuseguy
nibbler

Reply #4   Oct 14, 2007 9:29 pm
I use a blower that has a pin lock and I've found that by unlocking one of the wheels turns in either direction are much easier. In theory the Simplicity will turn more easily in one direction than the other but I have a hunch they will mimic my experience.
jubol

Re: aliens vs. Simplicity
Reply #5   Oct 15, 2007 5:23 pm
Husky snowblowers have both left and right triggers!!

Squeeze right, turns right, squeeze left, turns left!!

Have one and it turns on a dime .

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
zippo2008

Reply #6   Sep 3, 2008 9:32 pm
I'm planning on buying the 11 hp model:
http://www.ariens.com/products_snow/s_deluxe_1130dle_overview.aspx

does this model have the automatic steering ? .... the website does not say a word about this.

I'm talking about the ability to turn the snow blower to the left by pressing down on a handle, and it makes one wheel turn , and the othe stays still.

thank you for any help.
Snowmann

Reply #7   Sep 3, 2008 11:04 pm
zippo2008 wrote:
I'm planning on buying the 11 hp model:
http://www.ariens.com/products_snow/s_deluxe_1130dle_overview.aspx

does this model have the automatic steering ? .... the website does not say a word about this.

I'm talking about the ability to turn the snow blower to the left by pressing down on a handle, and it makes one wheel turn , and the othe stays still.

thank you for any help.

This model does have the automatic differential.

PK
zippo2008

Reply #8   Sep 3, 2008 11:30 pm
Hello Snowman,

thank you for the info.

Do you know where I can get an online manual for that model ?

also - what is the difference between the pro models and the deluxe model ?

thanks for your help.
Snowmann

Reply #9   Sep 4, 2008 8:35 pm
zippo2008 wrote:
Hello Snowman,

thank you for the info.

Do you know where I can get an online manual for that model ?

also - what is the difference between the pro models and the deluxe model ?

thanks for your help.

Pro model upgrades versus Deluxe, generally speaking:

Cast Iron gearcase
Larger housing 23.5" tall, and larger rakes 16"
Beefier 12 gauge frame
Handwarmers
OHV engines
16" tires

The 1332LE is the exception. It has all of these except CI gearcase (and no automatic differential).  The 1130DLE Deluxe does have the automatic differential if that is something you require.
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42