Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Toro snowblower already broken

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
paul78zephyr

New Toro snowblower already broken
Original Message   Jan 26, 2006 1:54 pm
Hi all,
Back in October I purchased the first snowblower I've ever owned. I live in eastern Massachusetts. I used to plow my driveway with a small doser blade on the front of my Sears garden tractor (the one I posted about the B&S engine that threw its conn rod), did that for 7 years, before that I just shoveled but Im too old and have developed a bad back. Anyway I got the top-of-the-line Toro 1128 OXE model 38650 with the Techumseh 'Snow King' 11HP engine. I had comparison shopped the equivalent Ariens unit but based on everything I read -including on this forum- the Toro was the better unit (they both had the same engine).

Well right after I got it I put a 'Tiny Tach' hour meter on it. I was using last Monday, we got around 5-6 inches of wet heavy snow. The snowblower had less than 2 hours of running time on it (the TinyTach reads only in full hours). I was just about done (it takes about 20 minutes do do my driveway) when all of a sudden I recognized that the unit had lost it drive mechanism. The auger was still working but no forward or reverse. Being a brand new unit still under warrenty (when I purchased it Toro was having a special offer that included a 3yr warrenty - normally they give 2 yrs) I really did not want to start taking it apart and I called my local dealer where I bought it and they said they would come and get it. I asked if it could be something as relatively simple as a broken belt - they thought not but could not be sure. After I spoke with them I decided to look at the belt so I removed the plastic cover (3 small screws) that they are under. When I removed the cover I instantly saw the problem. The belts were fine but each belt - one for drive and one for auger) has a small idler pulley pressed against by a spring it to keep the belt tight. The drive belt's pulley is mounted on a pivoting bracket and is held against the belt with a 'torsion' spring. I could see the idler pulley - it wasnt even sitting agaist the belt. Then I could seen the spring. At first I thought the spring had somehow slipped off the bracket but then I could see that the end 'tang' of the spring had snapped off.

So the dealer has repaired the unit (they called and found just what I did) and I should have it back tommorow, the repair done under warrenty. But it calls into question -in my mind- the reliability of the unit. That a $1.00 spring could take down a $1600 machine is very disconserting. I also called Toro to vent on them my disappointment with this. Maybe it was just a 1 in a million defect in that spring. I could see a unit several seasons old perhaps, but a unit with 3 uses and less than 2 total hours?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Paul
ps My good neighbor across the street has an Ariens snowblower. He loves his, alway touting its ability, and told me to get one. The fact that my Toro quit and was picked up by the dealer (and will be delivered) during the day while he is not home has saved me some embarrisment.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
plugger

Re: New Toro snowblower already broken
Reply #3   Jan 26, 2006 8:42 pm
I wouldn't worry about it.  I imagine that out of all the thousands of srpings they make a few are going to be bad. 

Chevy  K1500,
Fisher 760LD,
Ariens 926LE Pro
Garandman

Reply #4   Jan 27, 2006 4:34 am
paul78zephyr wrote:
ps My good neighbor across the street has an Ariens snowblower. He loves his, alway touting its ability, and told me to get one. The fact that my Toro quit and was picked up by the dealer (and will be delivered) during the day while he is not home has saved me some embarrisment.
Yeah - this time! LOL
paul78zephyr

Reply #5   Jan 27, 2006 1:20 pm
Thanks for the replies. I understand that the spring failure was probably an isolated incedent but its still frustrating as hell when you have a brand new machine that cr*ps out after only 2 hours use (and thats engine run time, actually snow blowing time was probably closer to 1 hr).

And just for the record I got my machine back from the dealer this morning. The repair sheet showed the cost of the spring that failed as $2.69. Of course I was not charged for the part, labor, or pickup/delivery as the machine is under warranty.

AZ in OH:
Ive only used the machine 3 or 4 times now as we are having a pretty wimp winter here in New England. I have mixed felling about that as on the on hand I spent alot on the snowblower and would like to use it. But on the other hand my last tank of heating oil was $2.43/gal so higher than normal temps are good news. Anyway I do like machine and am getting the hang of the controls. The last storm (when it broke at the end) the snow was wet and heavy, about 5-6 inches and the machine went right thru it. The 'quick stick' chute control level takes some getting used to but I think itts a nice feature. I should mention that I probably do not NEED the 11HP as my driveway is not that big. But I figured Id have the thing for a long time so I got the best/most powerful one. I live on a dead end street with a cul-de-sac at one end. I live at near the end opposite the cul-de-sac. The snow plow comes up the street on the other side does the cul-de-sac then comes down my side. By the time the plows get to my driveway they can put 2-3 FEET of snow at the end of my driveway from only a 6-10 inch snow fall, which is not that uncommon. So having the power to go thru the bank at the end of the driveway is important to me. and so far this machine has handled it easily.

Thanks again
Paul
patsfan

Reply #6   Jan 28, 2006 2:43 pm
 Hi Paul,

Hey, I wish you had used a different Subject title.  I recommend Toro to my friends.     I have a 2003 PowerMax,and am happy with it.  Snowcab plus weight kit.

" New Toro snowblower already broken "  really looks bad at first glance.     The odds of that spring breaking must be almost astronomical,and I don't think Toro's QC could have noticed a defect.   Glad to hear it wasn't anything more serious,and that your dealer took care of you.    

Hope you have many years of easy snow removal in your future,

Another Eastern MA resident

formerly OT
plymouthsteve

Reply #7   Feb 12, 2006 10:00 pm
I've had the exact same problem with Ariens8524 purchased winter 04-05.  Spring has been sheared twice in two years!  Frustrating.
steveinct

Reply #8   Feb 12, 2006 10:09 pm
I also had an interesting problem with Toro. Mines the single stage 7 hp. It had some carb problems and the dealer fixed it no charge. Last year I couldn't get it to turn over. Toro you may know has a 3 pull (or two) start guarantee. I took it back to the dealer and he was going to charge me 57.00 for the repair. I said I thought it had a pull start guarantee? He said that only applys if it starts at all.

I almost blew my top. He knew I was a local customer and I would buy other equipment from him. I tend to stay away from HD and the like. He didn't end up charging me but it was a lesson in warranty language.

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #9   Feb 13, 2006 10:31 am
Hey Steve!

Your Toro dealer is a jerk!! Call Toro and describe what happened. GTS means just what it stands for- Guaranteed To Start.I am no fan of Toro (the company not the equiptment) but they wouldn't promote their products with that name if the policy was what the dealer tried to tell you.

If you really want to find out ask if there were any srevice claims put in by the dealer for your serial#.

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Johnboy

Reply #10   Feb 15, 2006 9:41 pm
You will not have to worry about that issue. Toro is aware of it and a service bulletin as been issued to correct it. The problem should not happen again.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #11   Feb 8, 2011 4:08 am
A very old thread that I found while Googling the Toro 1128OXE.  Does yours (do you still have it?) have that pivoting scraper bar?  If so, does it work well, or hang up on bumps, or jam up on one side, etc?  I've never seen a blower with that kind of scaper bar.  I read a post recently suggesting it can be a pain.  Just curious.  Thanks.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
stresst

Reply #12   Feb 8, 2011 7:58 pm
plugger wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it.  I imagine that out of all the thousands of srpings they make a few are going to be bad. 

Yup, my boss has a 2009/2010 Mercedes S63 AMG, paid a tad over sticker and with tax it was over 200K guess what the POS has been to the dealer more then my 11 year old truck with 120,000 miles. Things break, its vey simple....I know it sucks to spend money on a product that you think is the best and have it fail but thats life.

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 3 - 12 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42