Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Expensive Snow Shovel ??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ParadiseNfld

Today is the tomorrow I awaited yesterday.

Expensive Snow Shovel ??
Original Message   Jan 9, 2006 9:36 pm

Are these any better than a snow shovel ??

[URL=http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0603720450cc4db8d5ey.jpg][IMG]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/489/0603720450cc4db8d5ey.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This one is an MTD Yardmachine from Canadian Tire. It has 5 hp, with a 21” cut.

It retails for $499.99 Cdn., with a 2-year warranty.

[URL=http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=75b5695e3b3549188a151a3b2016f4.jpg][IMG]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3562/75b5695e3b3549188a151a3b2016f4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This one is a Murray from Home Depot. It also has 5 hp, with a 21” cut. It retails

for $477 Cdn. and also has a 2-year warranty.

WalMart has a Murray, 4.5 hp, with a 21” cut that retails for $537 Cdn. but is marked down to $457 (sorry, no picture – but it is yellow !!)

I think all 3 have the Techumsch engine.

So, why am I asking this question and for your advice ??

I have a 2 stage, 10.5 hp with a 30” cut and it is has the left/right controls for steering.

I have used a 2 stage for the past 30+ years and have never used a single stage.

There are times when there’s more snow than I feel like shovelling but not enough to justify taking out the 2 stage. Hate to admit it, but I’m getting a tad older (now retired) and my back often complains when I shovel too much.

Was thinking about getting me one of the above to help the situation – they seem pretty light and easy to manoeuvre. I would do the driveway and walkways and some EOD stuff, if it wasn’t too much or too heavy.

But, even at the quoted prices, it’s an expensive shovel !!

Do you think it’s worth the investment ? And, if so, is one of the above any better than the other ??

Thanks for any assistance that you might provide.

Cheers = Roger

Live long & prosper.
Replies: 10 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
wally

Re: Expensive Snow Shovel ??
Reply #10   Jan 11, 2006 11:56 pm
To DNK1....

Careful...one man's meat is another man's poison!!!!  Some people wouldn't buy a Ford on a bet.... and others swear that Ford is the ONLY vehicle they would buy!!!  So to characterize another person's possible choice as JUNK suggests that unless your opinions are embraced as gospel, their decision would be s$%@ might be a little over the top!!!  A reasoned comparison would be more helpful in decision-making.

*(:>)*

BBgarage

Reply #11   Jan 12, 2006 1:10 am
In the one "big" (8 inches) storm we had this year(we arent going to have any more because we bought a snow blower, (maybe it will dubble as a rototiller?) My neighbor took out his brand new 5ish HP two stage machine. It was so awsome, he woulg go, for like 2 feet, sure it would take 20-30 seconds, but then...It would stall out and die. and he would have to restart it... He eventually mastered it and wow, after 10 minutes he had cleared a whopping 20 foot 18 inch wide section of walk. I used that to convince my mom to by something a little heftier.

So, unless you live in california, or you have 500 extra dollars for when those flurries come around, steer clear, or invest in salt.
wally

Reply #12   Jan 12, 2006 11:06 am
BBgarage....

You're right!!! Unless storage space is an issue - or physical condition of the operator or operator's alternate is a problem....go for the extra capacity unit.  I always believe there is a sense of false economy when it comes to buying some things.... if you buy in and find it's not going to do the job you hoped, you just end up buying something else to replace it... and, as you say, for the extra initial outlay, you have something that can be expected to handle almost all circumstances.  I know of someone three weeks ago who purchased a 10/30 2-stage unit - he started out looking at the smaller single stage machines ....and finally realized that, if his wife expected to handle things while he is on one of his many out-of-country business trips,  he'd better upgrade his acquisition to something she could more readily handle....she tried out both machines, and opted for the 10/30....so they are BOTH happy!!!   Now THAT's a lesson in decision making!!! <laugh>

ParadiseNfld

Today is the tomorrow I awaited yesterday.

Reply #13   Jan 12, 2006 9:37 pm
Thanks to y'all for all the "interesting" and useful feedback. It's been quite some time since I

visited this forum and it continues to be a great source for "first-hand" info. that comes from

experienced users of the equipment.

As I mentioned, I have a 2 stage and therefore no worries about any large amount of snow.

What prompted my thinking about the single stage was the reality of our climate change.

I live in an area of Canada where, at this time, we should have been "hammered" with snow.

We currently have ZERO snow, and have had only small amounts since Winter was supposed to have started.

And, it's been that way for the last few years. That being said, we will get "blasted" in Feb. & March and the 2 stage

will earn her keep.

In the meantime, for the small amounts of snow that we're getting, I'll use the human powered shovel

and save myself some bucks.

Thanks again and cheers.

Live long & prosper.
DNK1

Reply #14   Jan 12, 2006 10:10 pm
wally wrote:
To DNK1....

Careful...one man's meat is another man's poison!!!!  Some people wouldn't buy a Ford on a bet.... and others swear that Ford is the ONLY vehicle they would buy!!!  So to characterize another person's possible choice as JUNK suggests that unless your opinions are embraced as gospel, their decision would be s$%@ might be a little over the top!!!  A reasoned comparison would be more helpful in decision-making.

Wally,   not trying to tick anyone off and your point is well taken. I work on these machines on a daily basis and it's real frustrating how cheaply these things are being built.
Replies: 10 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42