Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens new style chute controll

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
iLikeOrange

Ariens new style chute controll
Original Message   Dec 19, 2005 2:06 pm
Hello All

I have a 2005-06' 926dle with the new chute rotation controll . The chute exhibits some strange behaviour. If you move the controll quickly left to right or vice/v,  there may be some backlash of the chute. By this I mean the chute has not locked into position properly. It may lock, but not where you want it to. Chutes gone wild. I took the chute gear assembly apart and it seemed to have to much play between the Chute Gear and the Locking Chute Gear at certain positions. On my unit the problem was worse on the left side. This design, as is, has a very narrow operating tolerance.  I replaced the two washers behind the chute gear (spacers to me)  with a slightly thicker nylon washer and now it operates as it was intended too. I am sure this will vary from unit to unit.  I think Ariens is going to get some calls on this. I don't mind fixing this myself, actually it  was kinda fun to figure it out and get it to work properly. YMMV.  When I was all done perfecting this setup I measured the chute rotation to be aprox. 210 degrees. With a different Chute Gear this could easily be more.

John

Replies: 12 - 21 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Mads

Rather be scared to death than bored to death

Re: Ariens new style chute controll
Reply #12   Dec 21, 2005 12:53 am
I think the electric chute was the one to go on whit. At least for some models. It was an argument over the other brands who don't have it and was working well. On the touch of a button you could throw the snow on the target you want.  Fast enough and verry precise to throw the snow exactly were you want it. Especially wen you dont have large area to dispose the snow .... Just like me.  An electric deflector would be a dream!

I plan to install a joystick (like the Honda 928TCD) and add a small electric motor on the deflector cable line to electricaly control the chute AND the deflector...... One day...... Next year maybe.  Seems pretty easy to do. Finding the right equipement for the job will be more difficult though!    But you can count on me to do some thinking before. I wont try 15 differents concepts!

iLikeOrange

Reply #13   Dec 21, 2005 8:52 am
Plugger give that spacer a try. It's an easy fix.

Assembly is not the issue here, although  incorrect assembly will lead improper operation. Even when the unit is assembled correctly the chute can have a mind of its' own. It does work when *fixed*, I like it. A new machine owner should not have to be tweaking  mechanical tolerances to obtain propper performance. You can test your machine with this procedure:

1) Operat the chute controll as if to change chute direction. Hold the controll in the slightly up position (lock disengagged)

2 )try to move the chute while performing the above

Even though the lock in disengagged at this point,  pressure on the controll will (should) hold it in position.

The problem is that at certain points of chute rotation the mating gears become seperated. The lock IS functioning but allows the chute to move. Yes, the chute can move even though it is "locked". As I said before, this design has a very narrow operating tolerance.

On another note I plan to make a ptfe(teflon plastic) collar to fit between the chute and main blower housing. I find my gap to be nearly 1/4 inch! rattle thunder clatter.  Hard to beleive there is that much slop there. Note to Ariens- fit and finish.

John

newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #14   Dec 21, 2005 10:55 am
I  noticed a couple of members from other OPE sites who bought the new Ariens machines are also having difficulties with the new chute design. My neighbor has a new 926LE and it works fine. Maybe the "luck of the draw"?

I sent Ariens a "heads up" E-Mail hinting that a quick easy "fix" may be in order.

I will keep the forum apprised of any updates or of any new information I receive from Ariens.

iLikeOrange

Reply #15   Dec 21, 2005 1:06 pm
newjerseybt wrote:
I  noticed a couple of members from other OPE sites who bought the new Ariens machines are also having difficulties with the new chute design. My neighbor has a new 926LE and it works fine. Maybe the "luck of the draw"?

I sent Ariens a "heads up" E-Mail hinting that a quick easy "fix" may be in order.

I will keep the forum apprised of any updates or of any new information I receive from Ariens.

I think operating style/conditions contribute to the problem. My chute would operate fine up to a point.  When I got to aggressive with the controll,as in very fast lateral movement,  thats when things got a bit  tricky.  The chute would hit the end of travel and then bounce back to some undetermined position. The controll lever and the chute direction then did not corespond. It may be that this problem only surfaces under the right conditions.  That spacer size I think will vary from one machine to the next. There may be a problem with the alignment of this controll assembly in relation the the main housing.  I don't think the flex in the handlebars helps any. If you apply pressure to the bars it transfers some of it  to the area in question.  There should be much stronger handlebars. The high end Simplicitys' have some nice strong handlebars.

newjerseybt

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #16   Dec 21, 2005 4:32 pm
I have received an acknowledgment  E-Mail back from David Miller at Ariens. They will forward it on to their technical area. I wouldn't be surprised if they are already aware of the problem.

The top of the line Honda models do not use a box frame. Neither does Toro. I never heard of an Ariens having problems with fatigued/cracked handle bars. I would like a bit a flex and keep vibrations from the system from being fed back to the operator. It is just a preference. The Ariens machines already weighs plenty. 

As you said, the spacers that may be necessary to tweek the tolerances would vary from unit to unit as assembly tolerances are probably not very tight. 

jubol

Reply #17   Dec 21, 2005 4:38 pm
As a retired USAF  Maintenance officer, it amazes me how Ariens does not test their equipment throughly befor going into production!!

They have had Drive problems, Blow By problems, and now this!!

That is why I did not buy an Ariens Snowblower!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
nibbler

Reply #18   Dec 21, 2005 6:36 pm
I've been in HD several times in the last couple of weeks and every time the chute control didn't work. Up until today no matter how you pulled or pushed the control the chute would not move. Today no matter how you pulled or pushed the control the chute would not lock. I had a look and from what I can see I get the feeling the adjustment of the cable that goes to the chute is what may be off.

I also tried the one handed control lock and it didn't work. The actual mechanism is much more robust that the MTD machine that was beside it. The only problem was the MTD worked and the Ariens didn't.

In both cases I suspect its a setup problem.
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #19   Dec 21, 2005 8:09 pm
I was at a Home Depot today and checked the 3 Ariens they had out on the floor; 926, 11528 and 1336 LEs. The chute controls seemed to work fine, but I didn't really like the way the chutes whipped noisily around from side to side. Perhaps under actual working conditions that would be mitigated.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Charlie4350

Reply #20   Dec 21, 2005 8:25 pm
But you dont have to pull or push. Just tap the lever and the lock is disengaged. I think it works rather slick, after I figured it out.  I'll be double checking all that was assembled.  As for the locking mechanism, mine was the same. After contacting Ariens, a slight tug on the housing was all it took to operate perfectly. Shipping, setup, probably. 

I looked at the MTD also, same as the sears model, and thought how can I spend 1000 on THAT after seeing the build of the Ariens.

I just picked up the 11528 from HD and feel fortunate. There was not an Ariens machine to be found in S.E. Mass. I called every dealer within a 100 miles.  When HD said they just got some in, I ran to get one.  Another store in my area sold out in 1 day a week prior.  I'd much rather purchase from the local dealer, and maybe would have gotten the DLE instead if they had been available. But being in panic mode, I'm happy I got what I did.

newjerseybt

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #21   Dec 21, 2005 8:43 pm
Jonathan:

When that engine roars to life, you won't hear the chute rattle! lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could also add Honda to the list of improper drive control setups and discuss a certain internal drive pin on some models that shears off after a couple of years and about chute cranks that are placed so low that you tax your spine (if your tall) everytime you want to crank the chute. (poor design) 

So...it isn't just Ariens.

I could nitpick Toro to death over the years based upon stories from local OPE service shops etc etc. I could nitpick Toro for not making ANY improvement to their PowerShift line of snowblowers which cost them marketshare of their commercial line.

Replies: 12 - 21 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42