Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I made a mistake

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
papercut82

Don't be so humble you are not that great

I made a mistake
Original Message   May 6, 2005 8:07 pm
When i was cleaning my mower the other day after cutting. I tilted it to the wrong side. I was unaware of any problems. Then i noticed there was oil leaking out of the air cleaner. I removed the air cleaner and noticed there was alot of oil in there. I cleaned it out and replaced the air cleaner. I have not started the mower yet cause i was worried that i might have done some damage to the engine. By the way the mower is a craftsman with a 5.5 honda engine. If you need the numbers to help me out i can get them. Don't have them available right now. Thanks for any imput you can give me.

Here is a pic of the engine. if this helps

This message was modified May 6, 2005 by papercut82

snapper 826 7.5 briggs intek, craftsman push 5.5 honda, weedeater weedwacker and hedge trimmer
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
spottedpony

Re: I made a mistake
Reply #4   May 6, 2005 8:47 pm
just be sure to  top the motor off with oil if necessary. pull the plug out and clean or replace if necessary, & pull the starter rope through a few times to blow any excess oil out of the cylinder. you may have to clean the plug a couple of times if theres alot of oil contamination in the cylinder & it'll probably smoke for a little while, but there should be no engine damage
mrmom

Reply #5   May 6, 2005 10:02 pm
Also spray the carb down with gum out or some equivalent  cleaner.

You shouldn't have problem with the advice from this board.

MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #6   May 7, 2005 6:33 am
General rule of thumb - spark plug up.  We see lots of mowers come into the shop with the same thing done.  We repalce the filter and get them up and running again.  They usually smoke for a little, but that's good for fly control.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #7   May 7, 2005 6:51 am
Papercut-82----That  happens to all of us in our career of mowing.  I try  to always lean the mower on it,s side so the carburetor will be up and it never happens then.  The carb. is attached to the side of the engine where the valves are mounted.   Evidently the intake valve was open so it let  the oil come into the carb. Don,t how on the overhead valve engines.  My theory may not work on them.  I have never owned a push mower with overhead valves.---Wish you best and we will talk later---Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Termy

Reply #8   May 7, 2005 11:09 am
I have done this myself a few times but usually all it takes is a new sparkplug and air filter and your good to go.

papercut82

Reply #9   May 7, 2005 8:14 pm
Thanks for all the advice. I am having a hard time finding a spark plug for the mower. The part number is NGK BPR6ES. I am going to check the auto parts stor to see if they can help. I did find that chanpion makes a plug equivalent which is the RN9YC. Should i go with the champion or fidn the other plug. I don't know if it will make a difference but it could. I can fidn it online but don't want to wait for it.
This message was modified May 7, 2005 by papercut82

snapper 826 7.5 briggs intek, craftsman push 5.5 honda, weedeater weedwacker and hedge trimmer
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #10   May 7, 2005 8:45 pm
papercut82 wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I am having a hard time finding a spark plug for the mower. The part number is NGK BPR6ES. I am going to check the auto parts stor to see if they can help. I did find that chanpion makes a plug equivalent which is the RN9YC. Should i go with the champion or fidn the other plug. I don't know if it will make a difference but it could. I can fidn it online but don't want to wait for it.

The Champion equivalent will work just fine.
Termy

Reply #11   May 7, 2005 9:24 pm
I agree, most small engines use Champian plugs anyway

papercut82

Reply #12   May 8, 2005 2:04 pm
Well guys you were all right. I did as suggested by you guys and then mower runs fine. Thanks alot
This message was modified May 8, 2005 by papercut82

Termy

Reply #13   May 8, 2005 3:11 pm
Glad you got it fixed!

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42