Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1/3 Acre Lawn On A Hill

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

1/3 Acre Lawn On A Hill
Original Message   Apr 21, 2005 10:33 pm
Hi Guys!

The lawn in question is steep enough so that I would want a pressure lubrication engine. Originally thinking of the Exmark Metro 26 as suggested by Mints a few weeks ago but the lawn is more than I would care to cut with a walk behind.  Looking at the Kohler powered Simplicity Coronet with Hydro transmission and twin blades as well as the Kohler powered  Snapper with Disk Drive and single blade. The property has about six 40 ft Beech trees that need to be cut around as well as various flower beds and a childrens swing set / play center. I don't know if it is significant but the Coronet is 2" lower than the Snapper  and also has a floating  deck design.Having no experience with riders I would welcome any and all suggestions.

In addition it appears they are doing the same fudging of the HP ratings on the lawn equiptment that we discoverd on the snow blowers. The FJ 180 Kawi on the Toro ProLine 22177 is called a 6.5HP while the same engine on the Exmark Metro 26 is called a 6HP. Exmark is owned by Toro.

Marc 

This message was modified Apr 21, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: 1/3 Acre Lawn On A Hill
Reply #1   Apr 21, 2005 11:03 pm
Hi Marc,

I got this same question in a PM the other day from someone.

First of all, you can't go wrong either way! You know which one I chose so I don't need to go there. What I will do is point out how I look at these two RER's.

I see the Coronet as a more refined machine with the hydro tranny, the hand controls by the wheel round steering wheel, tight turn radius, dial-a-cut deck height adjuster and electric PTO. A very nice suburban riding lawnmower!

I view the Snapper as more rugged, long lasting machine with all of the manual controls and tubular steel framing and design. The Ninja Blade is a big advantage in my opinion when it comes to mulching and the hi-vac deck is second to none in getting the grass to stand up strait to be cut. It's inexpensive to fix and cheap to maintain! Standing it on it's end is very handy for blade sharpening and removal. The only issue I would take with you is that the Snappers is deck is floating. Just go put your hands under the deck of one on the showroom floor and lift up, you'll see exactly what I mean. The 33" has gauge wheels and a nose roller.

If your wife is going to be using it, she may like the hydro of the Coronet better.
This message was modified Apr 21, 2005 by Marshall
mrmom

Reply #2   Apr 21, 2005 11:52 pm
Once you go hydro you never turn back. Tranny that is. It is much easier and simpler to operate. Even wifey thinks so.

Being that you have all those trees, I would go with the one that has the tighter turning radius. I have a Husky Swedish rider with a tight turning radius and my neighbors with a Craftsman riding tractor and the other with a JD 110 both say that what I do around a tree in one pass would take them 2 or 3 passes.

Think your dealer could find you a leftover Swedish Rider?

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #3   Apr 23, 2005 7:53 am
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the answers!

Marshall- The PM was probably from my son who the rider is for. He just bought a new house and I told him about your affection for Snapper riders. He is the one I got the Simplicity snow blower for.

Mr. Mom- Will try and get a look at the Husky! Do they still make that model?

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
mrmom

Reply #4   Apr 23, 2005 9:45 am
Looks like it has been discontinued. Due to the move in production from Sweden to the US, Husqvarna has stopped production on all Swedish riders during the 2005 season. You might find some left overs though.

I have a 3/4 acre lot and it would take me a little over 3 hours with the little JD self propelled walk behind. Now it takes me less than an hour on a rider.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #5   Apr 23, 2005 1:05 pm
"Once you go hydro you never turn back. Tranny that is. It is much easier and simpler to operate. Even wifey thinks so."

mrmom, the shift-on-the-go tranny of the Snapper works basically just like a hand controlled hydro. Push forward to go forward, the further you push the faster you go. Pull backwards to slow down or go in reverse. No clutching is needed except for starting off.
Termy

Reply #6   Apr 23, 2005 2:15 pm
My dad used to own a Toro LT before we moved here. It was a gear tranny. Worked great an all but nothing to ride home about. Then, I started doing work for my landlord and I was using his John Deer LT. It had a hydro tranny. The amount of control you have with that over a gear drive is amaizing. If you have alot of obsticles in your yard and or trees and garden you have to go around, you realy do want a hydro tranny!

robmints

Reply #7   Apr 23, 2005 3:42 pm

Just  to look at

The 30316 is the T handle. $350 more for the Tru-Trac.
robmints

Reply #8   Apr 23, 2005 3:44 pm
Is it a wide hill? Or a long hill? Are you going to want to mow up and down or sideways?
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #9   Apr 25, 2005 9:08 am
Hi Guys!

Don't know the pattern of how my son is going to cut the lawn because he won't be closing on the house till 6/30. By that time the lawn will be in full growing mode so we want to have made a purchase by then.

Mints- I clicked on that 30316 you posted but can't find the exact model! Is it a Toro?

Marc 

This message was modified Apr 25, 2005 by mml4

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42