Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > grass or no grass ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

grass or no grass ?
Original Message   Apr 12, 2005 8:27 pm
hi guys...

this is kinda out there so if necessary remove it .

im in the process of cleaning up my property now that its spring here.

i have next to no landscaping as yet.

my driveway is pretty good but thats it,basically i have 4 acres of trees.lots of hardwood and softwood.

i have been removing as much of the dead and hard looking trees and thinning out the rest.

its starting to look kinda park like.

i have lend of a huge wood chipper that i have been putting all the brush and tops into.ill post pics of it in action later

i save the big stuff for firewood.

anyway i have been wondering that once i get done should i plant grass between the trees or just let it grow up into ferns and other woodsy stuff.i plan to try to average 10 or so feet between the trees,this will encourage them to grow tall and allow me room to work around them.

when i started you could hardley walk between them

i should mention that i dont like mowing lawns but i do have a good variety of riders and tractors at work i could use.

and i really hate pushing a mower. 

thanks for any input ...

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 58NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: grass or no grass ?
Reply #1   Apr 12, 2005 8:51 pm
Hey Chris, it kind of depends what you want out the area as far as use. If you let it grow up, you'll have to clear it from time to time and it won't be as friendly for walking around or stuff along those lines. It might be better for wildlife that way though, if you're in an area that has any? Although, green grass is loved by wildlife.
robmints

Reply #2   Apr 12, 2005 8:57 pm
I like grass. A lawn I mean. Cutting around trees can be a PITA. A ZTR or big walkbehind w/ sulky is nice. My advise, sight un-seen would be to plant grass and mow what you feel like in any given year. The big trees if healthy and provide a nice canopy will keep a lot of the junk down in the woods. I like to keep some areas sort of clear with a Gravely or blade trimmer with some paths between. Maybe a bench or nice tree stump seat so you can have a little spot in the woods, to hang out.
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #3   Apr 12, 2005 9:20 pm
With that much land Chris you could have it both ways, say near the house a hundred feet grass and as you get farther out let it go natural.  I can picture that in my mind and I think it could be really something to see.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
mrmom

Reply #4   Apr 13, 2005 7:28 am
Half and half would be nice. It's always good to have some woods just in case you have to stash a body or two.

As for mowing, I'm sure you can always ask Ms Snowshoveler to take a spin on one of your OPE.

MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #5   Apr 13, 2005 9:42 am
I'm gonna vote no grass, unless it plants itself.  There might be a time in the next 20 years that grass would be nice, but with the time it would take to plant - need lots of soil, it would probably be in 20 years time.  The computer that has the pics in it is on dial up, so maybe I'll figure out how to get a few from puter A to puter B and then to here.

Sherri

PS - lotsa flowers and bushes would be nice

This message was modified Apr 13, 2005 by MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #6   Apr 13, 2005 10:07 am
That'll give Chris more time to do the dishes, vacuum, do laundry, etc.      

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Apr 15, 2005 11:13 am
Hi...

"PS - lotsa flowers and bushes would be nice"

Sounds good !  Maybe a wildflower mix... some grasses that grow tall and don't get mowed... shrubs... fruit trees... berry bushes...

Can start a little at a time...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

Reply #8   Apr 17, 2005 10:01 pm
Hey  shovler  those rocks aint  just  jump  out of the ground  lots of rakeing been there done that pavement . just sweep.

millwright

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #9   Apr 21, 2005 6:44 pm
ya ya ya ...i hear you Mill.

around here if you arent standing on a rock you feet are going to be wet.

and add to that i have a fair number of stumps that i have to remove or cut off much shorter.

on a good note i do have my monster tractor home and have been using it and a homemade trailer to haul away brush and rocks from my future lawn or garden or wharever it ends up being.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
mrmom

Reply #10   Apr 21, 2005 11:55 pm
Blacktop....... basketball court!
Replies: 1 - 10 of 58NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42