Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Halo Vacuum... What happened to them... We now know....

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Halo Vacuum... What happened to them... We now know....
Original Message   Feb 1, 2009 1:38 pm
Did they go out of business? GetHalo.com now sells only the vacuum cleaner bags...
This message was modified Feb 2, 2009 by Acerone
Replies: 23 - 32 of 35Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Halo Vacuum... What happened to them... We now know....
Reply #23   Feb 4, 2009 6:57 pm
If the halo failure in such a short period of time proved anything it is that the UV-C light has only niche appeal and specialty interest, not mainstream. 

MIELE, and other high end value vacuum makers, would argue, convincingly I might add, that their vacuums already minimize the hazardous health effects of household germs for the vast majority of households with frequent and proper vacuum use.  They would say that UV-C technology is redundant for their vacuums.  Hence, the higher ORECK Halo price tag of $599 too, niche market.  The ORECK Halo will be pitched for the very few fastidious vacuum consumers who absolutely must have the UV-C light benefits and don't mind the corresponding drawbacks:  Replacement bulbs and proper bulb disposal. 

Plus, the ORECK HOME Clean Centers offer a viable option to ORECK customers to upgrade to the ORECK Halo at a reasonable and affordable price with an ORECK trade-in.  Halo, selling through big box stores right out of the gate without a network of dealers, didn't have this business advantage.  If the initial ORECK Halo consumers are pleased and satisfied, they will spread the word about the UV-C benefits and in turn this will lead to further interest and hopefully, from ORECK's perspective, more sales.  Unlike the halo scenario, which required successful sales from the starting gate, ORECK can pace itself and let the ORECK Halo find its own successful sales speed.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Feb 4, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #24   Feb 4, 2009 8:10 pm
CarmineD wrote:
If the halo failure in such a short period of time proved anything it is that the UV-C light has only niche appeal and specialty interest, not mainstream. 

MIELE, and other high end value vacuum makers, would argue, convincingly I might add, that their vacuums already minimize the hazardous health effects of household germs for the vast majority of households with frequent and proper vacuum use.  They would say that UV-C technology is redundant for their vacuums.  Hence, the higher ORECK Halo price tag of $599 too, niche market.  The ORECK Halo will be pitched for the very few fastidious vacuum consumers who absolutely must have the UV-C light benefits and don't mind the corresponding drawbacks:  Replacement bulbs and proper bulb disposal. 

Plus, the ORECK HOME Clean Centers offer a viable option to ORECK customers to upgrade to the ORECK Halo at a reasonable and affordable price with an ORECK trade-in.  Halo, selling through big box stores right out of the gate without a network of dealers, didn't have this business advantage.  If the initial ORECK Halo consumers are pleased and satisfied, they will spread the word about the UV-C benefits and in turn this will lead to further interest and hopefully, from ORECK's perspective, more sales.  Unlike the halo scenario, which required successful sales from the starting gate, ORECK can pace itself and let the ORECK Halo find its own successful sales speed.

Carmine D. 

The basic thing is that this UV light thing isn't worth a hill of beans if it is not properly applied.  It is highly doubtful that users in general will use them properly but will buy them due to familiar Oreck name. Thinking of an ideal product for this particle sanitizing medium it would have to be of all things, the Roomba.  Roomba could be adjusted to travel at the slow steady speeds most conducive to best use of the UV light. 

That aside, I don't know how well the public has adapted to Oreck's other "borrowed" vacuums.  The company picked up the European Philips canister named it the DutchTech and slapped a Wessel Werks PN on it.  It's a good cleaner but I have heard little word of mouth regarding it or seen little ad action per Oreck on its behalf.  http://www.oreck.com/canister-vacuum-cleaners/dutchtech_series.cfm

Oreck might have been better served to work the UV light into the Oreck design we're more familiar with.  I think hte more familiar Oreck with a UV light worked would garner buyer trust more quickly.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #25   Feb 5, 2009 6:47 am
Hello Venson:

IRobot and ORECK will probably have a meeting of the minds on the UV-C light.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the UV-C light is adapted to the familiar ORECK upright in time.

BTW, recall that after halo lost the grievance filed by BISSELL about the veracity of its claims [I believe with the FTC], Ken Garcia commissioned another study at a University.  His expectations were to show that frequent use with the halo vacuum and UV-C light was better for allergy and sinus sufferers than regular vacuuming.  Obviously, Garcia was attempting to widen his target market with over 30 million persons in the USA with respiratory issues.  I never heard the outcome of the study.  But, I expect if there is a favorable outcome to this hypothesis by studies, this aspect of the halo's technology will be used as a sales pitch. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Feb 5, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #26   Feb 27, 2009 9:21 am
Hi,

Just got to see an Oreck Halo commercial on TV this morning for the first time. I have to say I was a bit put off with the statement that the vacuum was a product backed by forty years of Oreck technology or something to that effect, vaguely implying that the Halo is all Oreck's idea. (Aerus gets my goat for the same reasons.) Nonetheless, they are going gangbusters to get this baby on the streets.

Though the price is never mentioned during the commercial($600.00 per the website), you are made aware at least twice that Oreck will allow a whole year before payments begin with no interest. As well there's a five-year warranty on the UV lamp, three free tune-ups and plus a year's supply of bags. These are probably the most memorable parts of the thing . . .

The petri dish thing with "expert" included prevails throughout. An astonished mom with pop by her side states she never realized what was on her floors once informed by the expert, nearly clear petri dish in hand, that the Halo has removed 90 percent of invisible nasties from the floor that her bay is crawling about on. I may have missed it but no info as to use was supplied as to how to achieve the 90 percent level of clean. Anyway . . .

Looks they may be on a roll so more power to 'em. Do you think the manner of advertising is where the original Halo folks went wrong or that this is more a matter of the add-on of the Oreck name?

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #27   Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm
While I'm thrilled ORECK has the halo technology, and it's still in the industry, the ORECK halo, unless I'm wrong, is still a $600 vacuum made in China.  I'm not thrilled about the latter.

Halo was a $500 China vacuum with a one year warranty, marketed as a mainstream user with false and exaggerated product claims, through big box retailers.  At the worse possible economic time for new consumer products.  The combination of all these facts and circumstances did the halo in so quickly.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #28   Apr 18, 2009 2:02 pm
Also at COSTCO, new [old] halo uprights for $99.

Halo UV-ST Ultraviolet Upright Vacuum
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299638&search=halo&Mo=3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=halo&Ntt=halo&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
This message was modified Apr 18, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #29   Apr 18, 2009 2:22 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Also at COSTCO, new [old] halo uprights for $99.

Hi Carmine,

Thanks for the heads-up. The price is nice and I would think for a hundred bucks it may be okay. The customer reviews at the Costco site regarding this machine were not great however. Only one of four reviews posted there favored this machine. (I think these reviews came in while it was being sold at higher price.)

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #30   Apr 19, 2009 7:18 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Thanks for the heads-up. The price is nice and I would think for a hundred bucks it may be okay. The customer reviews at the Costco site regarding this machine were not great however. Only one of four reviews posted there favored this machine. (I think these reviews came in while it was being sold at higher price.)

Venson

I think the same.  Considering the prices that ORECK is selling these rebadged halos for, the $100 is a steal.  Perhaps a good option for Chris in the above thread.

Carmine D.

Tread184

Reply #31   Jul 21, 2009 5:15 am
I have heard talk of a new Canister and Air Purifier with Halo ....Maybe Oreck will put it to good use.  i wasnt impressed with the Halo Vac as the suction isnt as good as my XL21 or that the fact that my vac virtually pulls itself along..As far a germ killing goes...if we dont ever have germs and get sick from time to time, will our immune systems ever have a chance to get stronger..Im sure its great for newborns and helth ridden children..but not for everyone.
CarmineD

Reply #32   Jul 21, 2009 6:19 am
From what I can see and hear, ORECK is not pushing the halo except in rare and limited cases.

Carmine D.

Replies: 23 - 32 of 35Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42