Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
tomas21

Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners
Original Message   Jan 2, 2009 5:20 pm
Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners Hello,

I'm looking for a solid vacuum for cleaning carpets and hardwood floors. Which one of these would be recommended?

Hoover® WindTunnel™ Anniversary Edition Self-Propelled Bagged Upright

$159.00

Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum with Inteli-Clean System

$249.00
Replies: 25 - 34 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners
Reply #25   Feb 1, 2009 9:14 am
HARDSELL wrote:
No doubt consumers are suckers.  The boss is recommended then it isn't.  Nothing changed (except CR rating).  CR is a great fiction read.

All this tells me is that most are shopping for price and not performance.  We are all aware that Costco shoppers are not looking for high end goods.

I often wonder why low Dyson prices follow you around.  I never find those deep discounted Dyson prices.  Hoover on the other hand has always been on sale.  If you sell at a discount every day are you really selling at what the retail should be? 

Hi HARDSELL:

Let me address each, if I miss any, let me know:

Firstly, CR can't review all the vacuums all the time.  Even when the EUREKA BOSS was not included in its biannual testing for publication, the BOSS was recommended in the CR yearly edition for BEST BUYs for appliances.  The reason the BOSS is a staple at BEST BUY stores and never discounted.  Consumers, especially during bad economic times, are shopping for value.  COSTCO store club members, at $70,000 plus annual incomes, are among the highest US income shoppers. 

Secondly, the discounted dyson prices are everywhere.  You just have to open your eyes and look.  Choose any big box retailer and you'll find discounted dyson prices abound [10-15-20 percent and more not including buyer incentives].  Always have.  Most especially now with most models being cleared out of stores.  BTW, did you hear dyson sales in 2008 failed to hit $1BN.  Why?  In part discounts!  Dah!

Thirdly, no consumer good's retail price is ever set in stone save what a willing buyer and seller agree.  Goes for your fave vehicle and TV brands too.  MAP is a joke in the vacuum industry.  Always has been and still is.  No different for your fave brand.  Even dyson fans don't pay MSRP for dyson vacuums.  Where have you been?

Finally, what does CR's latest ratings bode for your fave brand?  2 of 20?  Read: Niche vacuum, not mainstream.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 1, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #26   Feb 1, 2009 10:14 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi HARDSELL:

Let me address each, if I miss any, let me know:

Firstly, CR can't review all the vacuums all the time.  Even when the EUREKA BOSS was not included in its biannual testing for publication, the BOSS was recommended in the CR yearly edition for BEST BUYs for appliances.  The reason the BOSS is a staple at BEST BUY stores and never discounted.  Consumers, especially during bad economic times, are shopping for value.  COSTCO store club members, at $70,000 plus annual incomes, are among the highest US income shoppers. 

If CR reviewed the same models all the time sales of their fiction mag would fall.  However, a top pick should be included in each round until it fails.  Assume brand x is in 1st place then in the next round it is not included.  Any of the top picks in the most current review may be better than the previous winner (possibly at a lesser cost).  After all this is sort of like a tournament.  Play until you lose.  $70,000 income group is not a candidate for higher end goods.  Not many of those driving $90,000 vehicles or living in homes exceeding $300,000.  Owning $50,000 speakers and $25,00 of electronics to power them.  The ones who try usually get in financial trouble.

Secondly, the discounted dyson prices are everywhere.  You just have to open your eyes and look.  Choose any big box retailer and you'll find discounted dyson prices abound [10-15-20 percent and more not including buyer incentives].  Always have.  Most especially now with most models being cleared out of stores.  BTW, did you hear dyson sales in 2008 failed to hit $1BN.  Why?  In part discounts!  Dah!

As I said those deep discounts are not visible where I shop/live.  Yes, there are Dyson discounts available.  However, you want the world to believe that other brands don't discount.  Yes, Dyson changes models.  Hoover just rebadges the same old stuff and calls it a neew model.  Is it unusual to see lowered prices on discontinued items?

Thirdly, no consumer good's retail price is ever set in stone save what a willing buyer and seller agree.  Goes for your fave vehicle and TV brands too.  MAP is a joke in the vacuum industry.  Always has been and still is.  No different for your fave brand.  Even dyson fans don't pay MSRP for dyson vacuums.  Where have you been?

I have no problem with retailers selling at the price of their choice.  It is their business that has to succeed.  Never supported vendor dictation of slaes price and hope to never support it.  I never found a product that I couldn't negotiate a lower price.

Finally, what does CR's latest ratings bode for your fave brand?  2 of 20?  Read: Niche vacuum, not mainstream.

I fit in the niche category. I always take performance over hype.  Actually I am in the elite category. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #27   Feb 1, 2009 2:27 pm
I fit in the niche category. I always take performance over hype.  Actually I am in the elite category. 

HARDSELL

So .....what vacuum did you recently buy and are you using these days?  A $98 HOOVER Whisper from Wal*Mart.  Is that your perception of a high end performance over hype product purchase by an elite shopper?  BTW, didn't you get the memo?  There were no dyson bonuses for 2008, not even for James.  And 2009 is looking even worse.  Or did you, and hence the reason for your new HOOVER TTI purchase!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 1, 2009 by CarmineD
tomas21

Reply #28   Feb 2, 2009 1:53 pm
For those of you looking for the OEM part to "replace" the existing hose with a 15' long ext hose here is the part no: 43434042.

Hoover Site: EXTRA HOSE ASM COMP       43434042

From Ristenbatt.com

"Extend the reach of your Hoover WindTunnel upright with this extra long wire-reinforced stretch hose. Its great for stairs and reaching into areas where you vacuum can't go. The machine end is 1 1/2" in diameter with two locking pins which hold it in the vacuum. Its attachment end is extra large to fit over the Hoover WindTunnel wands and attachments like the on-board hose does. This hose provides a 20' total attachment reach. (Hose stretched to about 15' plus two wands and the crevice tool.)

This genuine Hoover hose is used instead of their on-board hose on most WindTunnel uprights that use paper bags and Hoover Bagless WindTunnel Self-Propelled uprights manufactured November 2002 or later."

CarmineD

Reply #29   Feb 2, 2009 4:29 pm
Thanks for the info Tom.  Very helpful and useful.  Were you ever in the vacuum business?

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #30   Feb 2, 2009 4:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

For along time, the COSTCO here did not carry the EUREKA Boss Smart Vacuum upright.  After it was included again by Consumer Reports in the top 10 for vacuums in the October 2008 edition, and also a BEST BUY, COSTCO had them for sale again in the store.  Same for HOOVER TEMPO with BEST BUY stores and several other retailers.  Once it returned to the CR top 10, back on retailers' shelves.

When some kow tow CR ratings/reviews [usually those whose fave brand can't cut muster], I remind them:  Observe how all the big box retailers always carry and sell the wares that CR recommends.  Conversely, what does that forebode about the $500 plus vacuum brand that only makes 2 out of the top 20 CR picks? 

BTW, here at COSTCO that $350 dyson is a DC14 Animal [price competes with the SEARS Progressive for $350] once having an MSRP of $549.  This dyson model isn't selling a lick at COSTCO.  Look soon for $100 off at the cash register for $299.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I just got this article off the NY Times Online . . .

Let me know if the link fails -- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/business/economy/03econ.html?_r=1&8au&emc=au
Venson

Reply #31   Feb 2, 2009 6:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

The COSTCO here sold out of the WT SP Anniversary model in short order.  It had 2 pallets when I last saw a few weeks ago.  Went back this past week to pick up some movie tickets for my daughter.  Gone.  They'll be back.  Not sure the price when they return. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Just got back from Best Buy.  I needed a new external drive but after that was taken care of I went to the vacuum department.  The metallic blue self-propelled version of the WindTunnel upright is sold out there too.  The price is $229.00. The Tempo is in stock and priced at $75.00.

Venson
This message was modified Feb 2, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #32   Feb 2, 2009 8:17 pm
Hi Venson:

Link worked.  Doom and gloom ahead.  President Obama may want to reconsider and ask for an official recount!  He's a one termer.  Will be done in by the economic sunami and Hillary Clinton.   She is poised to walk away with the election in 2012.  As the primary Secretary of State she will be more powerful than VP Biden, the alternate SOS. 

Thanks for the info on BEST BUY and HOOVER WT SP and TEMPO.  Those prices $229 and $75 respectively add pressure on the other retailers to price the models similarly.  Peer pressure.  With the favorable ratings from Consumer Reports on these models, selling at the MSRP is justifiable and smart business pricing. 

Carmine D.

tomas21

Reply #33   Feb 3, 2009 12:27 am
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks for the info Tom.  Very helpful and useful.  Were you ever in the vacuum business?

Carmine D.

Never in the biz but a consumer that does diligent research.

CarmineD

Reply #34   Feb 3, 2009 7:02 am
tomas21 wrote:

Never in the biz but a consumer that does diligent research.

This message was modified Feb 3, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 25 - 34 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42