Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > shifting gears without stopping

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
granville

shifting gears without stopping
Original Message   Dec 31, 2009 11:31 am
I have a JD 1130 . My wife was using today and I noticed her shifting forward gears without stopping. Will it hurt the machine?  In the manual it says not to do it. She said she had done it several times  and it always worked . I just hope she hasn't caused any damge.
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
amazer98

Re: shifting gears without stopping
Reply #7   Jan 1, 2010 11:46 am
On a related note, I have a question.  Our Ariens Platinum 24 has 6 forward gears.  The fastest gear isn't particularly fast.  It is faster than I would use for blowing more than 3 inches or so, but no faster than a medium-speed walk.  On 1970 vintage Ariens that had (I think) 4 forward gears, I recall that the fastest gear was at a very brisk walking speed (maybe even at almost a jogging speed), clearly intended for a brisk return to the barn or quick hike to a neighbor's drive.

Is it possible that my blower should be moving faster in 6th gear?  Perhaps there's a way to adjust this.  First gear is nice and slow, but 6th gear isn't fast enough.  I find that the speed difference between most of my gears is minute.
samdog

Reply #8   Feb 11, 2010 2:41 am
The friction disc drive was patented in 1904 by John Lambert. Here is a quote from the John-meister himself:

"In practice I have found that this combination of aluminum and fiber bearing surfaces gives the maximum
degree of friction and durability, thereby especially adapting the gearing for use on motor vehicles of the
heavier kind, where the friction surfaces are at times subjected to great strains, and must, therefore, have
a frictional contact of a high degree of efficiency in order to avoid slipping. It will be observed that the
aluminum is advantageous also, because it will not tarnish or rust appreciably, but will always present a
smooth, clean surface to the fiber periphery, so that wear will be reduced to a minimum."

and John oughta know -- his Lambert touring cars were quite sucessful. Here's one with the friction disc exposed:

Now if John says they must have a high degree of frictional contact, I believe him.
So shifting while the disc is firmly in contact would cause excessive wear to the components.
Toro would agree -- they say not to do it in my manual.

Here's a snowblower friction disc:

It seems obvious from the size of the spring holding the rubber wheel to the plate that moving it without releasing
it is going to cause wear. After all it's tight enough to carry a load of 9, 10, 11 or more foot-lbs of torque.

Anyway that Lambert friction wheel would be an awesome mod for high speed travel over to the neighbor's driveway!

tkrotchko

Reply #9   Feb 11, 2010 5:49 pm
The friction disk drive is brilliant in it's simplicity.  When I first took apart a snow blower, I didn't get it until I move the gearshift lever and watched what happened. 

What really made me smile is when I shifted into reverse and it's so obvious what happens that you can't believe it at first.
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42