Abby's Guide to Community
Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Important reminder: Clean your laundry vent hose.

Community Discussions

Search For:
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Important reminder: Clean your laundry vent hose.
Original Message   Jun 24, 2005 11:58 pm
O.K., I'm usually very good about this doing it once a year, but w/ more kids now, and the wife doin more laundry than ever, I almost had a disaster tonight.  Luckily happened while I was up and we all smelled it rite away.(Sometimes my wife has loads drying well into the non waking hours), No more of that.  Well to make a long story short exhaust pipe somehow got kinked a little bit, we think when exterminator was here last month and moved the dryer back further than it was, and a clog developed very rapidly.  Like I said I change this thing once a year, now it will be every 6 months like I change the smoke alarm batteries(Which I do at the time changes, 2X a year).  We have 2 dryers now, one is brand new and suppoosedly has an auto shut-off if exhaust has restriction, BUT the one that clogged tonight was the older model and it did catch fire, luckily really no damage, just a really scary situation, that could of easily been catastrophic. 

Sooooo, just a reminder go clean out, and replace your flex hose now, if you haven't recently. 

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Important reminder: Clean your laundry vent hose.
Reply #2   Jun 25, 2005 12:24 am
Good reminder, thanks! I almost lost a dryer because of that once. I was lucky and smelled it in time before it caught on big fire.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #3   Jun 25, 2005 12:44 am
I have a tin one that goes into a bucket inside the house.  I'll have to check that. 

Frank have you watched Ladder 49?  I have and it tore me up in the end.  It is topping my favorite movies list. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #4   Jun 25, 2005 1:58 pm
faithfulFrank wrote:
Great Reminder Bill,
I always thought the cheap white plastic coiled ventpipes should be outlawed.

Frank D.

I think they may been around here. I went to replace an old dryer and was told that I shouldn't have the plastic vent. Replaced it with the metal one. It is just a short transition piece but does have a bend in it.

So thanks Bill. I'll have to check it for build up.

Another place I had a lot of lint build up was in the heater element ring at the back of that particular model. Fine lint was packed in the corner of the ring behind the element. It was a wonder it never ignited as I had a temperature switch that would lock on so the heater never turned off while the dryer was running. Burned out heater elements every few months until I checked the switches. The wiring to the elements had annealed and become brittle from the heat, so had to replace that too. When the matching washer gave up the ghost replaced them both with front loading units. Got 20+ years out of them.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #5   Jun 25, 2005 9:08 pm
Yo  Ajace,
Those bucket type should only be used for electric dryers, not gas, due to Carbon Monoxide.
CO is colorless and odorless, so you cannot smell it or see it as it is slowly killing you.

I'm not saying that you have a gas dryer, it was just that your lint filter reminded me of that important fact.

Yes, I've seen Ladder 49.......it was a good movie that really showed the comradeship between the firefighters.......they really are like your 2nd family.

I bought a fancy solar activated, passive energy clothes dryer for my wife...........nothing is too good for her........otherwise known as a clothesline.  I even bought her the better clothes pins!

As to lint build up, I seem to find a little lint ball in my belly button every night, but I suppose that was too much info for most of you.............

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
robmints

Reply #6   Jun 25, 2005 10:58 pm
Great thought Bill. I've been cleaning my drier out (vent pipe, and the crooks and cranies inside the drier itself, like the lint filter housing and element housing) ever since I saw the show about the Boston Fire Cheif's house burning down because of a drier fire. I do it when I change the clocks and the smoke detector batteries. The vacuum cleaner does a good job.
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #7   Jun 26, 2005 10:27 am
faithfulFrank wrote:
I bought a fancy solar activated, passive energy clothes dryer for my wife...........nothing is too good for her........otherwise known as a clothesline.  I even bought her the better clothes pins!

LOL. I should have tried that sales pitch on my wife to get her to use one.

As to lint build up, I seem to find a little lint ball in my belly button every night, but I suppose that was too much info for most of you.............

Frank D.

Frank,
You are the man

I think you just hit on the cause of spontaneous human combustion. The build up of belly button lint tightly packed in that recess when combined with natural body oils would produce the same conditions as a pile of oily rags, and ... whoosh ...instant fire.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #8   Jun 26, 2005 2:53 pm
LOL, Highwind.  Yea, I have an electric one, but thanks for that tip.  I am amazed at the clearness of the DVD's and how much detail they put into that movie.  It was great.  I can relate to how tough it is when he was trying to dig out that brick, when you are tired.  That movie certainly made me question becoming a firefighter and it something I need to experience. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #9   Jun 26, 2005 4:30 pm
faithfulFrank wrote:

Frank D.

I notice Buttlint has been conspiciously quiet during this lint discussion....
mrmom

Reply #10   Jun 26, 2005 7:28 pm
Paula, you sure have a way with pushing dem buttons.
Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #11   Jun 26, 2005 7:42 pm
All in fun, Mr. Mom...all in fun. 
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42