Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hello! Looking for a new vacuum.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
shanel92

Hello! Looking for a new vacuum.
Original Message   Mar 18, 2015 7:28 pm
Ive have been researching vacuums the past couple weeks or so. I came across this AMA (Reddit) where the gentleman REALLY suggested Miele canisters for carpet AND bare floor. The apartment I live in now has mostly carpets, but eventually I will be moving into a house. I like carpet, but my girlfriend likes hardwood flooring more. You can probably guess what our next house will have :(. So, I need something that is great on carpets and barefloors (our lease isnt up for 16mo, and just in case the next house does have more carpet than wood flooring.) Two weeks ago, I was absolutely set on some sort of Miele S8 (I was sure I needed the 12 billion step filtration system). Last week I was set on the Sebo D4 (Better warranty, cheaper consumables). Now I am looking at the Riccar Brilliance models. I saw that they have two motors in them; one for floors and one for tools, basically. Since the Riccar doesnt need to compromise suction powered between tools and floors (Bypass vs Direct), wouldnt it be possible to hook a turbo brush up to to hose and just use it as a canister (getting under furniture, cleaning couches, vacuuming hardwood, etc)? I saw some youtube videos of the Riccar vs a Dyson. It highlighted how much agitation the Riccar had vs how little the Dyson has. Ive been reading, and the general consensus is that Agitation + Air flow = cleanest carpets. I have yet to see a video that shows any canister that shakes the floor as much as the Riccar.
This message was modified Mar 18, 2015 by shanel92
Replies: 7 - 16 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Just

Re: Hello! Looking for a new vacuum.
Reply #7   Apr 15, 2015 12:01 pm
For the door to door models, they can be overpriced; this where a good consumer remember to never pay retail, and everything is negotiable. The Panasonic mentioned by the Count is a good machine. Well built, long hose, effective power nozzle. One caveat-the bag system has complaints from some for not sealing well at the collar and leaking dust. It's a pitty to pay $10 a bag for a HEPA medium bag and have it leak.
CountVacula

Reply #8   Apr 20, 2015 2:42 pm
Buy Kenmore cloth HEPA Q bags, six to a package for $20.95. They have a thick cardboard end and seem to seal better than other bags. No dust gets past them. In addition, Kenmore style hoses Panasonic uses (Panasonic makes most Kenmore vacuums) require a serious shove to seat fully. You should hear a loud snap when they seat. If you don't hear that the hose may not be seated (it will still have electrical contact btw) and leak dust like crazy. Mine is dust free, as are all my similar Kenmore canister vacuums that use the same Q bag.
Bestonlinedeals

Reply #9   May 22, 2015 3:41 am
As discussed in previous comments a huge variety of vacuum cleaners are available these days with different capacities or different features. You need to choose according your needs and budget. Research is a good method to take right decision. I always prefer to check user reviews, compare prices on different stores etc.Now i have Black and Decker vacuum cleaner which provides best cleaning services to me.

rhndson

Reply #10   Jun 17, 2015 7:17 am
Everyone prefers vacuum cleaners as it helps us to clean our house very fast. There are a variety of vacuum cleaners available in the market with different capacities, features and also at different rates.
This message was modified Jun 17, 2015 by a moderator
Sebo

Reply #11   Aug 28, 2015 8:09 pm
The best Agitation & air flow doesn't automatically mean a vacuum cleaner will clean better, because some uprights and canisters with PNs have rough bristles which can take out more carpet pile than actually clean it. Im a bit concerned on CountVacula's comment regarding SEBO, or his disregard for thick pile carpets in Europe and the UK. Actually Europe and UK have very similar thick carpeting to the U.S So the nonsense regarding that we don’t have the same carpet is a lie. Secondly the SEBO D4 is cheaper to run consumable wise than Miele’ s S8 - I know. I had both. The D4 uses the same floor head as the SEBO Felix upright which has 4 manual height adjustments and a brush roll on/off switch. Not like the auto sensor on the X. Dependent on markets, the D4 comes with a hard floor tool as an included tool. The brush roll is a lot kinder to carpets and the PN has already seen use commercially in the Windsor Flexamatic, the commercial version of the SEBO Felix. Infact the X series has already been on sale in the U.S under the Windsor Sensor tag since 1979 too, when SEBO and Windsor signed a deal in the U.S The SEBO D4 also has TWO motors, suction motor in the vacuum canister and brush roll motor in the PN.
This message was modified Aug 28, 2015 by Sebo
farluhan

Reply #12   Aug 29, 2015 10:58 am
Be careful when you buy one. Do not fall into the trap of Cordless and Super Amp functionalities.
CountVacula

Reply #13   Aug 30, 2015 12:13 am
Sebo recently began to offer a different brush roll with a softer bristle than before. It is intended for plush carpets. The obvious visual difference is the use of green bristles instead of blue. They are slightly softer. I just bought one and with that brush roll the resistance of the carpet against the bristles is lessened and it no longer trips the belt sensor. I can use the vacuum on my carpets but it tells me Sebo did not design this machine with such carpets in mind. The softer brush is a Band-Aid overcoming a poor design. By comparison decades old Kenmores, Panasonics and Hoovers I have seem to clean the very same carpet without some silly belt sensor shutting them off with no apparent damage to the carpet. One finds no carpet material in the brush roll or any other evidence that the carpet is shedding material into the vacuum. My other Sebo is starting to show the first signs of the connection between the bag chamber and floor brush working loose. It shuts off momentarily when I pull it back towards me on occasion. This is a normal problem they have, so I remain unimpressed with the high priced Germans. Don't let the brand snobs talk you into paying more than you need to. Much past $500-$600 for a vacuum you are paying for a name. It isn't cleaning your home better and won't necessarily be more durable either. I also have to wonder why anyone would buy carpet so fragile it cannot be vacuumed. We'll see how long that trend lasts. I saw a post on another vacuum site advocating using a non powered suction only carpet attachment for such carpets. Ooof. I remember those days. Vacuuming carpet that way was hard physical work. Btw, beater bar brush rolls are older than most modern vacuum buyers. Nothing new at all. They fell out of favor probably because they are comparatively loud but I have a few and they definitely beat the carpet. You can see dirt dance in the air before the powered brush rolls over it.
This message was modified Aug 30, 2015 by CountVacula
mole

Reply #14   Sep 1, 2015 9:20 am
Electrolux discovery2 upright/ eureka or sanitaire mighty mite. under 2 beans problem solved. Spend the extra money on something else that you really need......
CountVacula

Reply #15   Sep 9, 2015 11:45 pm
The Mighty Mite doesn't have a powered floor brush for carpet and is poorly filtered. The upright won't do well on hard floors. A good canister with a powered floor brush is what the original poster probably needs. Two beans will buy you a Panasonic MC-CG902, a much better vacuum than either the Electrolux or the Mighty Mite. $150 will get you a Kenmore Lime Green canister, not as good as the Panasonic but still better than the Electrolux and the Mighty Mite. Use a Kenmore cloth HEPA Q bag in either the Kenmore or the Panasonic and change the pre motor and exhaust filters every six bags and it will stay clean inside and last a decade or more if you don't abuse it. Treat it like a mega buck Miele and it will last every bit as long.
This message was modified Sep 11, 2015 by CountVacula
Linton

Reply #16   Sep 23, 2015 3:22 am
CountVacula wrote:
The Mighty Mite doesn't have a powered floor brush for carpet and is poorly filtered. The upright won't do well on hard floors. A good canister with a powered floor brush is what the original poster probably needs. Two beans will buy you a Panasonic MC-CG902, a much better vacuum than either the Electrolux or the Mighty Mite. $150 will get you a Kenmore Lime Green canister, not as good as the Panasonic but still better than the Electrolux and the Mighty Mite. Use a Kenmore cloth HEPA Q bag in either the Kenmore or the Panasonic and change the pre motor and exhaust filters every six bags and it will stay clean inside and last a decade or more if you don't abuse it. Treat it like a mega buck Miele and it will last every bit as long.

I bought an Electrolux bagless vacuum for $250 and the best I had used till date. Its so simple to use and does really well on hard floors though an upright one. Considering the use on hard floors and upright used this is a good choice to buy.
This message was modified Sep 23, 2015 by a moderator
Replies: 7 - 16 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42