Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hello! Looking for a new vacuum.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
shanel92

Hello! Looking for a new vacuum.
Original Message   Mar 18, 2015 7:28 pm
Ive have been researching vacuums the past couple weeks or so. I came across this AMA (Reddit) where the gentleman REALLY suggested Miele canisters for carpet AND bare floor. The apartment I live in now has mostly carpets, but eventually I will be moving into a house. I like carpet, but my girlfriend likes hardwood flooring more. You can probably guess what our next house will have :(. So, I need something that is great on carpets and barefloors (our lease isnt up for 16mo, and just in case the next house does have more carpet than wood flooring.) Two weeks ago, I was absolutely set on some sort of Miele S8 (I was sure I needed the 12 billion step filtration system). Last week I was set on the Sebo D4 (Better warranty, cheaper consumables). Now I am looking at the Riccar Brilliance models. I saw that they have two motors in them; one for floors and one for tools, basically. Since the Riccar doesnt need to compromise suction powered between tools and floors (Bypass vs Direct), wouldnt it be possible to hook a turbo brush up to to hose and just use it as a canister (getting under furniture, cleaning couches, vacuuming hardwood, etc)? I saw some youtube videos of the Riccar vs a Dyson. It highlighted how much agitation the Riccar had vs how little the Dyson has. Ive been reading, and the general consensus is that Agitation + Air flow = cleanest carpets. I have yet to see a video that shows any canister that shakes the floor as much as the Riccar.
This message was modified Mar 18, 2015 by shanel92
Replies: 2 - 11 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mole

Re: Hello! Looking for a new vacuum.
Reply #2   Mar 20, 2015 10:59 am
you need a Kirby. Theres more leasiure time for you.Or a rexair the machine of tomorrow today........
Just

Reply #3   Apr 7, 2015 1:43 pm
Any of the machines you mentioned would serve you well. I would not hesitate going with a Riccar/Simplicity Tandem air machine. They are awesome. Taconey (the maker of Riccar/Simplicity) also makes some very nice cannister machines. All of Taconey's uprights are made in America if that makes any difference to you. Some but not all the canisters are made here, their larger cans are American Made their Mid-sized to Small machines are made in Asia. Weird thing, at least to me, others feel it is quality assurance. The Asian made machines are brought to the states and then they totally tear them down and re-assemble them. I am not convenienced that this extra step increases quality any, but in reality the Taconey twins are very difficult to beat. Their top of the line machines are up there, and I have found Riccar/Simplicity dealers are difficult to negotiate with price wise. With their premium machines fetching a premium price, it would be nice to feel you had some wiggle room to deal. I am from the old school and I never pay retail, Ebay is my friend in finding good deals on vacuums. Just remember with these deals you often don't have the warranty backing you. Kirby, Rainbow, Tri-star, Aerus, all caution you that they will not honor a warranty for a machine sold on the internet. I take my chances there because these are all very reliable machines. I would have no problem taking a chance on a Taconey machine either as they are not only reliable, but easy to service. Good luck with your vacuum search, please come back to let us know what you decided on.
Just

Reply #4   Apr 7, 2015 1:44 pm
PS. And I to did paragraph breaks. The formatting on this site must be off.
CountVacula

Reply #5   Apr 10, 2015 11:41 am
Good grief don't waste your hard earned on any vacuum sold door to door. In every case they are grotesquely over priced. The sales pitch is inherently dishonest. They get you in private and try to make your existing vacuum look bad. The "test" they use is rigged. No matter how good your vacuum, the machine that goes first "loses". Want to make the sales puke uncomfortable? Tell him his machine goes first. He will pack up his junk and leave if you do because he will know you are on to his game. No vacuum made gets everything out of a carpet, so whatever machine the sales puke is selling will always find a bit more dirt to "convince" you your vacuum is inadequate. His brand new Kirby/Rainbow/Patriot/Aerus Lux or what have you will likewise fail against your vacuum if his machine goes first. The game is rigged. Don't fall for their sales pitch because those sales people are paid commission only and will starve if they cannot fool enough gullible souls and sell them a $2000-$3500 vacuum and a pile of cheap plastic attachments worth at most $50.
CountVacula

Reply #6   Apr 10, 2015 12:21 pm
I would not waste money on Miele or Sebo either. Europeans do not have American style thick wall to wall carpets in their homes. Their vacuums are not suited to some carpets common in the US, even some apartment carpets. I spent a pile of money on a high end Sebo upright. It has all kinds of nice features for an upright, including a belt sensor that is supposed to protect the two belts driving the brush roll from breaking if something jams the brush roll. Guess what? Even on the highest setting, the drag of my carpet, which is only a mid grade deep pile carpet, is enough to trip the belt sensor and shut the vacuum down. There is no fix for this, no adjustment. That machine is retired to the garage (almost brand new) where the indoor/outdoor carpet doesn't overwork it's tender Teutonic belt sensor. Complete garbage, a waste of $500 (floor demo, bought at a good discount but still ...). Neither Sebo or Miele provide full sized attachments. Their attachments are kids toys, cheap and nasty ( but wait till you price a replacement! ). Miele has altogether too small dust bags and they cost a small fortune. Do you throw $5 bills in the trash? Didn't think so. Same thing for Sebo bags, worse so for their HEPA bags. Both brands have very expensive filters too, Sebo in particular. I would find a vacuum shop selling Panasonic vacuums. Take a look at the MC-CG937 canister vacuum. 500 air watts, adjustable motor speed with a slide switch on the hose handle, telescopic wand, full sized attachments (and their combo dusting/fabric brush is much easier to use on closely spaced shelves or dusting the tops of books than the Aerus Lux equivalent ). They are durable, as durable as anything from the expensive manufacturers, caveat that like any vacuum you have to change the bag before it's full and change filters regularly to keep it running well. If you let filters go and clog the motor with dirt and hair, or vacuum something wet you will kill even the best vacuum, and I have seen plenty of nice vacuums ruined that way. Panasonic makes most Sears Kenmore vacuums and they use the same filters and dust bags. You can buy cloth HEPA Q bags from Sears, a bag of six for $20.95. They are twice as large as a Miele bag and a bit larger than Sebo bags. You are only throwing three bucks in the trash and less often than you would with either European brand, or Aerus which also has a small dust bag. Filters are likewise shared with Kenmore products and reasonably priced at Sears or on-line. While there take a look at the MC-CG902. Last of the old school canisters, a real bargain for what you get. Same 500 air watt motor as the other Panasonic mentioned, but single speed. Four full sized old fashioned attachments that are carry overs from 1980s Kenmore vacuums. There are no computers or pc boards, just a simple hard wired circuit and a universal relay that dates to mid 1980's Whirlpool built Kenmores. Nothing in there to fail. This is a durable machine. Same huge bag chamber as the MC-CG937, uses the same inexpensive Kenmore dust bags and filters. Another machine to consider is the current King Kong of vacuums, the Kenmore Elite canister. It has more suction and airflow than any other machine on the market. Period. It is made by Panasonic and has their same excellent durability, though the finish on the lid and on the floor brush seems a bit fragile. The motor is special however and nothing, even my Kirbys or my Electrolux Guardian can touch it for cleaning power. It is also exceptionally quiet. The floor brush is almost silent in use. Quieter than my Sebo or Lux, and the Kirby sounds like an old Harley next to the new Kenmore. Don't waste your hard earned on the over priced door to door vacuums or the nearly as over priced German iron, er, plastic. You are not getting your money's worth.
Just

Reply #7   Apr 15, 2015 12:01 pm
For the door to door models, they can be overpriced; this where a good consumer remember to never pay retail, and everything is negotiable. The Panasonic mentioned by the Count is a good machine. Well built, long hose, effective power nozzle. One caveat-the bag system has complaints from some for not sealing well at the collar and leaking dust. It's a pitty to pay $10 a bag for a HEPA medium bag and have it leak.
CountVacula

Reply #8   Apr 20, 2015 2:42 pm
Buy Kenmore cloth HEPA Q bags, six to a package for $20.95. They have a thick cardboard end and seem to seal better than other bags. No dust gets past them. In addition, Kenmore style hoses Panasonic uses (Panasonic makes most Kenmore vacuums) require a serious shove to seat fully. You should hear a loud snap when they seat. If you don't hear that the hose may not be seated (it will still have electrical contact btw) and leak dust like crazy. Mine is dust free, as are all my similar Kenmore canister vacuums that use the same Q bag.
Bestonlinedeals

Reply #9   May 22, 2015 3:41 am
As discussed in previous comments a huge variety of vacuum cleaners are available these days with different capacities or different features. You need to choose according your needs and budget. Research is a good method to take right decision. I always prefer to check user reviews, compare prices on different stores etc.Now i have Black and Decker vacuum cleaner which provides best cleaning services to me.

rhndson

Reply #10   Jun 17, 2015 7:17 am
Everyone prefers vacuum cleaners as it helps us to clean our house very fast. There are a variety of vacuum cleaners available in the market with different capacities, features and also at different rates.
This message was modified Jun 17, 2015 by a moderator
Sebo

Reply #11   Aug 28, 2015 8:09 pm
The best Agitation & air flow doesn't automatically mean a vacuum cleaner will clean better, because some uprights and canisters with PNs have rough bristles which can take out more carpet pile than actually clean it. Im a bit concerned on CountVacula's comment regarding SEBO, or his disregard for thick pile carpets in Europe and the UK. Actually Europe and UK have very similar thick carpeting to the U.S So the nonsense regarding that we don’t have the same carpet is a lie. Secondly the SEBO D4 is cheaper to run consumable wise than Miele’ s S8 - I know. I had both. The D4 uses the same floor head as the SEBO Felix upright which has 4 manual height adjustments and a brush roll on/off switch. Not like the auto sensor on the X. Dependent on markets, the D4 comes with a hard floor tool as an included tool. The brush roll is a lot kinder to carpets and the PN has already seen use commercially in the Windsor Flexamatic, the commercial version of the SEBO Felix. Infact the X series has already been on sale in the U.S under the Windsor Sensor tag since 1979 too, when SEBO and Windsor signed a deal in the U.S The SEBO D4 also has TWO motors, suction motor in the vacuum canister and brush roll motor in the PN.
This message was modified Aug 28, 2015 by Sebo
Replies: 2 - 11 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42