Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Need help picking a vacuum cleaner...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
tw23

Need help picking a vacuum cleaner...
Original Message   Jul 13, 2012 1:38 am
Hey, I need some help picking a vacuum cleaner. Price is not really an issue, but I want to use the vacuum cleaner for these purposes: -pet hair -carpet -wood floor -tile floor I also want the vacuum to be light-weight... Can anybody suggest a good vacuum? Thanks ;) . All the best, tw23
Replies: 1 - 66 of 66View as Outline
Anjalena

Re: Need help picking a vacuum cleaner...
Reply #1   Jul 13, 2012 5:54 am
Hi, tw23. I'm actually looking for something very similar. The best I'm finding so far is a Shark Navigator (model #: NV22L). Be sure to note that this is the original Navigator, not the Lift-Away or the Pro. This one seems to be better in many ways than the Lift-Away. Not sure about the Pro. One of my needs is fairly low-cost and this Navigator is $150. I can't really spend more than that. But it's only 15 lbs, relatively quiet compared to many vacuums, and has numerous attachments that actually seem useful. This seems to be a great one if you have pets cuz it's good on picking up fur. It seems to be pretty powerful. It's bagless with several cyclone engine things in it. It's got a one-touch bottom release for the dirt cup. AND, the biggie is that the filters are lifetime filters. You never have to buy anymore filters for it. 2 of them you rinse out every 3 months... the other you rinse out once a year. (they are NOT hepa filters, though, just so you know) Reusable filters and no bags means that once you buy this machine, you don't have to put anymore money into it! It's also got a 5-year warranty on it. OH, and I forgot to mention that it's called the "Never Loses Suction" vacuum because the system bypasses the filter when sucking up dirt so the filter doesn't get clogged, therefore the suction isn't reduced by a clogged system. It's also got a 30-foot cord.

There are a lot of ratings by users who say this thing is a great vacuum. So when my check comes in, I think this is what I'll be buying. For the money, it sounds pretty darn good.

Unless someone has a better recommendation? I'm looking for something that's light-weight, works well on linoleum flooring (i don't have any carpet), is great on picking up floating tumbleweeds of pet hair, and isn't hard to push. It also needs to be around $150 or less. Pluses would be bagless and either reusable or very economical filters.
This message was modified Jul 13, 2012 by Anjalena
vacmanuk

Reply #2   Jul 15, 2012 11:35 pm
If you want to go micro sized or have a lack of space, consider the Hoover Windtunnel Air. It's a compact bagless upright vacuum with a long hose, small dust bin capacity and has a brush on/off function. I have the equivalent in the UK (known as the Vax Mach Air). HOWEVER tiled floor can be difficult to clean - unless it is fully recessed into the floor you will require a canister vacuum to clean up instead of a brush roll on/ off function because even the sole plate on uprights that have brush roll on/off functions can crack tiled floors. This is where a canister vacuum is a better idea - Miele make good machines as do Sebo but they are both expensive to buy and both German companies only use bags to capture the dust - which is far healthier than putting up with dust or pet hair in general. Even if you don't buy a Miele or Sebo, look for a canister vacuum that has a couple of floor heads such as a suction only floor head, a parquet brush tool and a turbo brush, for the carpets and pet hair.
This message was modified Jul 15, 2012 by vacmanuk
Anjalena

Reply #3   Jul 18, 2012 9:54 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
If you want to go micro sized or have a lack of space, consider the Hoover Windtunnel Air. It's a compact bagless upright vacuum with a long hose, small dust bin capacity and has a brush on/off function. I have the equivalent in the UK (known as the Vax Mach Air). HOWEVER tiled floor can be difficult to clean - unless it is fully recessed into the floor you will require a canister vacuum to clean up instead of a brush roll on/ off function because even the sole plate on uprights that have brush roll on/off functions can crack tiled floors. This is where a canister vacuum is a better idea - Miele make good machines as do Sebo but they are both expensive to buy and both German companies only use bags to capture the dust - which is far healthier than putting up with dust or pet hair in general. Even if you don't buy a Miele or Sebo, look for a canister vacuum that has a couple of floor heads such as a suction only floor head, a parquet brush tool and a turbo brush, for the carpets and pet hair.

Hey, Vacmanuk. Thanks for the reply. Not sure if it was written for me as well but I think it was helpful advice for both. I personally have linoleum flooring, not tile. The original poster has the tile so I know you're talking to her/him there. The Hoover looks good! Seems to be very similar to the Navigator in a lot of ways, though the Navigator doesn't have the HEPA filter. And I like these systems that don't go through a filter that continues to get more and more clogged over time, killing your vacuum's power. And being able to wash the filters instead of having to buy new ones every month or two, definitely a plus!

For me, weight and push power are important. I'm disabled and don't have much strength. So lighter is better and being easy to push is a big plus. I can't stand on my feet long and certain activities, like sweeping, I can't do at all without being in pain within a minute or less. The Hoover you suggested is even lighter than the Navigator so definite advantage there. How easy is it to push?

And how good is it at picking up pet hair? Matter of fact, how good is it with cleaning hard floors (like my linoleum)? Both the pet hair and the hard floor factors are the biggest priorities for my needs since the pet hair is what I'm getting it for to begin with. Not due to allergies. Just the fact that sweeping has consistently seemed very inefficient at getting all of it over the years. (my son and my PCA home care worker are the ones who sweep, by the way, since I can't) The hair likes to fly around and get under things, then when air moves through the house, it flies back out again. Very frustrating.
vacmanuk

Reply #4   Jul 19, 2012 9:54 pm
Hi Anjalena
Well I found that the Windtunnel Air/Vax Mach Air is great for picking up pet hair and its lightweight enough to easily push on carpets. On Lino however, I found that the upright can stick with the brush roll turned off - but this may be the UK version only and not the U.S version which has a slightly different head/hood design arrangement. Instead I resort to just switching on the brush roll and the machine flies up and down hard floors with ease! I know of the frustration of dealing with pets - I have many bagged vacuums but I also have the Windtunnel Air solely for pet hair and the bird seed my aunt's budgies often spit out on the carpet. I have to vacuum daily when she sends them to me (she's like "Travelling Mat" from the Fraggles, off somewhere on the continent and I get dumped with the animals!).

However as you've mentioned that you're disabled, can I perhaps offer an easier solution? I don't know what you may think of canister vacuums but the Miele S6 series is pretty good - its a very lightweight vacuum, has almost twice the dust capacity with the bags and the main body weighs much the same as the Windtunnel Air. The beauty of that particular vacuum from Miele is that it has a new auto cord rewind called "Comfort." You just press the pedal once and it all rewinds back in - no need to keep your foot on it. Granted though, on price alone, the Windtunnel Air would be better as it is a small, compact upright. A slightly heavier vacuum, but one that is better made and has a 3 height handle position is the Sebo Felix - Walmart or Costco were doing special price offers on the Felix, but it takes bags.

Also the HEPA filter - don't be misled - a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA filter in a bagless cyclonic can still loose as much suction as a bagless cyclonic without. Only aspect a HEPA filter does well with is keeping back the smell of collected dust in the dust bin. The Windtunnel Air has washable filters and suction can eventually start to get weaker if you don't clean or wash your filters every 4 to 6 months. It really depends on the amount of pet hair, dander and dust etc that you'll pick up but on all accounts, the only way of getting around washing filters is to buy a bagged vacuum. Sadly Miele vacuums are not cheap in the U.S and neither are my other favourites, the Sebo K1 and K3.

The Windtunnel Air is on Amazon.com at $149-99 I think, the Miele S8 Quartz has general prices of $399, but it does pay to shop around and you'd have to buy bags but they are healthier...
This message was modified Jul 19, 2012 by vacmanuk
Anjalena

Reply #5   Jul 21, 2012 9:32 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Hi Anjalena
Well I found that the Windtunnel Air/Vax Mach Air is great for picking up pet hair and its lightweight enough to easily push on carpets. On Lino however, I found that the upright can stick with the brush roll turned off - but this may be the UK version only and not the U.S version which has a slightly different head/hood design arrangement. Instead I resort to just switching on the brush roll and the machine flies up and down hard floors with ease! I know of the frustration of dealing with pets - I have many bagged vacuums but I also have the Windtunnel Air solely for pet hair and the bird seed my aunt's budgies often spit out on the carpet. I have to vacuum daily when she sends them to me (she's like "Travelling Mat" from the Fraggles, off somewhere on the continent and I get dumped with the animals!).

However as you've mentioned that you're disabled, can I perhaps offer an easier solution? I don't know what you may think of canister vacuums but the Miele S6 series is pretty good - its a very lightweight vacuum, has almost twice the dust capacity with the bags and the main body weighs much the same as the Windtunnel Air. The beauty of that particular vacuum from Miele is that it has a new auto cord rewind called "Comfort." You just press the pedal once and it all rewinds back in - no need to keep your foot on it. Granted though, on price alone, the Windtunnel Air would be better as it is a small, compact upright. A slightly heavier vacuum, but one that is better made and has a 3 height handle position is the Sebo Felix - Walmart or Costco were doing special price offers on the Felix, but it takes bags.

Also the HEPA filter - don't be misled - a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA filter in a bagless cyclonic can still loose as much suction as a bagless cyclonic without. Only aspect a HEPA filter does well with is keeping back the smell of collected dust in the dust bin. The Windtunnel Air has washable filters and suction can eventually start to get weaker if you don't clean or wash your filters every 4 to 6 months. It really depends on the amount of pet hair, dander and dust etc that you'll pick up but on all accounts, the only way of getting around washing filters is to buy a bagged vacuum. Sadly Miele vacuums are not cheap in the U.S and neither are my other favourites, the Sebo K1 and K3.

The Windtunnel Air is on Amazon.com at $149-99 I think, the Miele S8 Quartz has general prices of $399, but it does pay to shop around and you'd have to buy bags but they are healthier...

Hey again, Vacmanuk!

Yeah, I agree the bagged vacs are healthier, from what I've read. I'm not overly versed/knowledgeable in vacuums but they say the bagged are healthier. It makes sense. I imagine the bags would hold in a lot of the dust and hair. Though I do remember the nightmare of changing bags. UGH.

I prefer a bagless because of the monetary issue. I have to live on $700 U.S. per month which isn't much at all! I have to live in subsidized housing (government helps pay my rent basically). I be poor. (or "po" as I like to say sometimes. *giggle*) After I pay my bills on the 1st and do my budget, I'm lucky if I have an extra $5 - $10 and that's only tentative. If I go over my miscellaneous items budget, that $5 - $10 is gone. I'm trying to buy the things I need right now since I'm in college (again. last time I was in college, I was in my 20's. now I'm 41 and in college again. *laugh*) and I get a student loan stipend about 3 times a year. It's putting me into huge debt but I'm able to buy some things I need for now like a new computer which I desperately needed. Now I'm looking at a vac.

So, yeah... long story still long, bagless and washable filters seems the most economical way to go. Though I do realize that in the long run, those better, more expensive vacs can last longer and be better at their jobs. But you can only do what you can do, right? The Miele looks great but $400 for a vac is WAY out of my league! Even $175 would be pushing it for me, so yeah... no way I could get that one. =(

The Navigator (NV22L) is getting great reviews from everywhere I've looked so far. The only thing about it that I can see that I'm a bit annoyed with is the height of the head. Doesn't seem like it would get under things easily. BUT, I don't have much that I need to get under. The couple of tables I own have a bottom level that's too low for ANY vac to get under anyway, so either way I'd have to move them. But they don't weigh too much and my 23 yr old son can move them for me. He'll be doing most of the cleaning anyway, him and my home care workers. I just want the vacuum to be usable for me too for those rare moments when I need it and don't have anyone else to help. And of course for when my son eventually moves out, if that EVER happens. UGH! *ROFL*

So on the NV22L, have you tried it or talked with folks who have?

And, off-topic, what's a budgie? Some type of bird, I'm guessing, unless you have a strange cat or snake that eats bird seed. *laughs insanely* Sorry, I'm a bit of a weirdo... but I love me that way. *grin* Anyway, pet-wise, all I have are my two kitties. I love all kinds of animals and would have a zoo if I could, but all they allow in my apartment complex is cats. Buggers!
This message was modified Jul 21, 2012 by Anjalena
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #6   Jul 22, 2012 1:02 am
Anjalena wrote:
Hey again, Vacmanuk!

Yeah, I agree the bagged vacs are healthier, from what I've read. I'm not overly versed/knowledgeable in vacuums but they say the bagged are healthier. It makes sense. I imagine the bags would hold in a lot of the dust and hair. Though I do remember the nightmare of changing bags. UGH.

I prefer a bagless because of the monetary issue. I have to live on $700 U.S. per month which isn't much at all! I have to live in subsidized housing (government helps pay my rent basically). I be poor. (or "po" as I like to say sometimes. *giggle*) After I pay my bills on the 1st and do my budget, I'm lucky if I have an extra $5 - $10 and that's only tentative. If I go over my miscellaneous items budget, that $5 - $10 is gone. I'm trying to buy the things I need right now since I'm in college (again. last time I was in college, I was in my 20's. now I'm 41 and in college again. *laugh*) and I get a student loan stipend about 3 times a year. It's putting me into huge debt but I'm able to buy some things I need for now like a new computer which I desperately needed. Now I'm looking at a vac.

So, yeah... long story still long, bagless and washable filters seems the most economical way to go. Though I do realize that in the long run, those better, more expensive vacs can last longer and be better at their jobs. But you can only do what you can do, right? The Miele looks great but $400 for a vac is WAY out of my league! Even $175 would be pushing it for me, so yeah... no way I could get that one. =(

The Navigator (NV22L) is getting great reviews from everywhere I've looked so far. The only thing about it that I can see that I'm a bit annoyed with is the height of the head. Doesn't seem like it would get under things easily. BUT, I don't have much that I need to get under. The couple of tables I own have a bottom level that's too low for ANY vac to get under anyway, so either way I'd have to move them. But they don't weigh too much and my 23 yr old son can move them for me. He'll be doing most of the cleaning anyway, him and my home care workers. I just want the vacuum to be usable for me too for those rare moments when I need it and don't have anyone else to help. And of course for when my son eventually moves out, if that EVER happens. UGH! *ROFL*

So on the NV22L, have you tried it or talked with folks who have?

And, off-topic, what's a budgie? Some type of bird, I'm guessing, unless you have a strange cat or snake that eats bird seed. *laughs insanely* Sorry, I'm a bit of a weirdo... but I love me that way. *grin* Anyway, pet-wise, all I have are my two kitties. I love all kinds of animals and would have a zoo if I could, but all they allow in my apartment complex is cats. Buggers!
I understand when finances are limited.  I am one who believes that any good vacuum cleaner is better than none.  I know of the two brands/models you are mentioning, plus many more.

Some of the Shark brand models can also be found in the UK.  It is known as the Morphy Richard Lift Away, eventhough these are two separate companies. 

The NV22L is a very good performing vacuum cleaner.  It does a very good job of cleaning carpeting, floors and has attachments for above-the-floor cleaning.   

You said that you wanted a vacuum which was not heavy.  What I wanted to tell you is that there is a thing I call "handle weight".  This is how heavy the vacuum cleaner feels when you are holding it in your hand, while moving it forwards and back.  This can make a big difference if you have physical problems.  The Shark has more weight in the upper portion of the vacuum cleaner, so it may feel heavy to you.  The other vacuum cleaner, the HOOVER Windtunnel(WT) Air, will have a better "handle weight" than the Shark. 

While I am on the HOOVER WT Air, I will also say that it too is a very good performing liteweight upright.  It will clean very well on carpeting, floors and has attachments and an extension hose for cleaning above-the-floor.  The HOOVER is not a loud machine, eventhough you can hear the whine from the small brushroll motor.  BTW, the WT Air does a very good job on linoleum, with or without the brushroll.  The cleaning head does not "stick" to the floor. The HOOVER WT Air and the VAX Air are going to be slightly different.  The WT Air also has a very long cord, which is a necessity in my book.  No one wants to keep moving the plug.

The Shark and HOOVER both have the washable filters, which do need to be maintained regularly.  These models, as well as other bagless, can have diminishing performance, if the filters are not maintained.    Another thing to remember is just because a filter is permanent, does not mean it will last forever.  It might need to be changed in a few years.  There are even dyson owners, who have needed to change their "permanent" filters.  You just do not have to worry about changing the filters every six months, like some disposable models. Remember, if a brand says "LIFETIME filter", or similar, it means LIFE OF THE MACHINE.  That could be five years and not your lifetime.

With your finances, I would suggest that you look at a factory refurbished vacuum cleaner.  These can be just as good as the regular new out of the box vacuum cleaners.  The FR vacuum cleaners are usually returned, because someone did not like it or it was defective.  The machines are gone over w/a fine toothed comb.  They will  not have a long warranty like the original new, but they are still a good choice.  I have been in the practice of purchasing some appliances like this and have been very happy(no problems).  It is a shame you were not looking last Nov.-Dec., because HOOVER was selling the WT Air for under $50.00.  Go to HOOVER.com and look at the WT Air.  The factory refurbished WT Air is selling for $109.99.  If you go to the homepage, and find the code, you can also get 15% off the machine. 

The Shark model, you are interested in, is also available at a cheaper price tag, as a Factory Refurb.  But I think the HOOVER would be a better deal, because it can be hard getting service and parts for Euro Pro Shark.

I also wanted to touch on the comment that bagless in unhealthy.  I usually make suggestions to people, that bagged is the way to go.  The few times I tell someone to get a bagless is if theayy vacuum up alot of debris like animal hair and have no allergic reaction to what is in the dirt bin.  Just because it is a bagless dirt bin, does not mean it is unhealthy.  It is unhealthy if the person using the vacuum cleaner uses/maintains the vacuum improperly or has respiratory problems.  The vacuum cleaner should always be emptied outside.  If one lives in an apartment, take your trash outside, empty the dirtbin in the trash, then take the trashbag to the dumpster.  You do not want flying dust floating around your home; redepositing itself onto the furniture. 

Another thing I wanted to address.  Most any corded vacuum cleaner is going to pick up animal hair w/o any problem.  Both of these vacuum cleaners will have no problem in this respect.

Addition:
Let me change the last paragraph, since some may not realize that I am talking to a person who says, "i don't have any carpet".  I meant most any corded vacuum cleaner is going to pick up animal hair w/o any problem on linoleum.  Both of these vacuum cleaners will have no problem in this respect.
This message was modified Jul 23, 2012 by Mike_W
vacmanuk

Reply #7   Jul 22, 2012 3:33 pm
Mike_W wrote:
The Shark model, you are interested in, is also available at a cheaper price tag, as a Factory Refurb.  But I think the HOOVER would be a better deal, because it can be hard getting service and parts for Euro Pro Shark.

I also wanted to touch on the comment that bagless in unhealthy.  I usually make suggestions to people, that bagged is the way to go.  The few times I tell someone to get a bagless is if they vacuum up alot of debris like animal hair and have no allergic reaction to what is in the dirt bin.  Just because it is a bagless dirt bin, does not mean it is unhealthy.  It is unhealthy if the person using the vacuum cleaner uses/maintains the vacuum improperly or has respiratory problems.  The vacuum cleaner should always be emptied outside.  If one lives in an apartment, take your trash outside, empty the dirtbin in the trash, then take the trashbag to the dumpster.  You do not want flying dust floating around your home; redepositing itself onto the furniture. 

Another thing I wanted to address.  Most any corded vacuum cleaner is going to pick up animal hair w/o any problem.  Both of these vacuum cleaners will have no problem in this respect.

Well, corded vacuums with a brush roll is better for any pet hair, or human hair - the Hoover Windtunnel Air and Vax have removable floor heads via two catches that releases the whole hood of the brush roll, making it far easier to clean the brush roll off of hairs that get wrapped around, often reducing the excellent pick up that brush rolls enjoy.

As for bagless - they are unhealthy - not just in light of dumping the dust but in light of removing the filters - usually after 6 months to a year, dust sits in the HEPA filter that is fitted to the Vax/Hoover as well as the fact that the "tray" in which is sits underneath the main suction cyclones can usually be caked in dust. It is relatively easy to clean this whole unit and there's a twist-to-unlock ring that sits above the main single cyclone that will separate the plastic mesh grid, of which you may well find dust behind.

I would agree with Mike that the Hoover is lighter - it also feels far more complete than the Navigator/MR Lift Away Clarity - I tried that one Mike - it's a good machine but it's not well thought out IMHO and I found to be a bit bulkier than the Windtunnel Air.

So there you go, Anjalena, the Hoover WT Air seems to be the best way to go.

On a separate note, I have also tried the Panasonic MC UL710, bagless Sebo Felix rival - swivels, seems well made and very light. I may replace it eventually with my Vax Mach Air as the models we have in the UK have a shorter power cord unless you buy TOL / Top Of Line "Mach Air Reach" models.
This message was modified Jul 22, 2012 by vacmanuk
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #8   Jul 23, 2012 4:13 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Well, corded vacuums with a brush roll is better for any pet hair, or human hair - the Hoover Windtunnel Air and Vax have removable floor heads via two catches that releases the whole hood of the brush roll, making it far easier to clean the brush roll off of hairs that get wrapped around, often reducing the excellent pick up that brush rolls enjoy.

As for bagless - they are unhealthy - not just in light of dumping the dust but in light of removing the filters - usually after 6 months to a year, dust sits in the HEPA filter that is fitted to the Vax/Hoover as well as the fact that the "tray" in which is sits underneath the main suction cyclones can usually be caked in dust. It is relatively easy to clean this whole unit and there's a twist-to-unlock ring that sits above the main single cyclone that will separate the plastic mesh grid, of which you may well find dust behind.

I am going to assume your first paragraph is in response to my last paragraph.  I have added to what I was saying.  I am talking w/a person who only has linoleum.  Most corded vacuum cleaners are going to pick up animal hair from linoleum.  This is one of her concerns.  The two vacuum cleaners in question are actually "overkill", since there is no carpeting in her apartment.  But they will get the job done. 

As for your next paragraph, understand the definition of "unhealthy".  Not everyone is going to be affected by what is in the vacuum cleaner.  Should everyone be scared of dirt?  Should we tell our children to stop playing in the dirt.  Should I have run for cover the other day, when a big wind came; stirring up leaves, dirt, and whatever?  Should we tell everyone to not pet animals?  See how crazy that sounds.  The world is getting too paranoid.  For many years, I talked about the problem using antibacterial soaps.  We do not always need it.  Then studies came out saying regular soap and water are just fine.  Killing too many germs is a bad thing.  We do not need to stay away from using things or being around things that will not hurt us.  Not everyone will be affected from debris in the vacuum cleaner.

What you could say is that bagless vacuum cleaners can be dusty or dirty.  I have no problem w/that.  That would be factual.  It is actually a dirt collector.  All vacuum cleaners must be maintained properly, to be efficient for the machine, as well as the user.

I am going to say it again, bagless vacuum cleaners are not unhealthy for healthy people.  A bagless can be unhealthy for a person who is allergic to dustmite feces/excrement, which is vacuumed up by the bagless, then emptied by this person . Or, possibly maintained by the same user.   There are other kinds of material, in the dustbin/bag, which could affect some also, but I am not going to run through every one of them.
vacmanuk

Reply #9   Jul 23, 2012 8:52 am
Mike_W wrote:
I am going to assume your first paragraph is in response to my last paragraph.  I have added to what I was saying.  I am talking w/a person who only has linoleum.  Most corded vacuum cleaners are going to pick up animal hair from linoleum.  This is one of her concerns.  The two vacuum cleaners in question are actually "overkill", since there is no carpeting in her apartment.  But they will get the job done. 

As for your next paragraph, understand the definition of "unhealthy".  Not everyone is going to be affected by what is in the vacuum cleaner.  Should everyone be scared of dirt?  Should we tell our children to stop playing in the dirt.  Should I have run for cover the other day, when a big wind came; stirring up leaves, dirt, and whatever?  Should we tell everyone to not pet animals?  See how crazy that sounds.  The world is getting too paranoid.  For many years, I talked about the problem using antibacterial soaps.  We do not always need it.  Then studies came out saying regular soap and water are just fine.  Killing too many germs is a bad thing.  We do not need to stay away from using things or being around things that will not hurt us.  Not everyone will be affected from debris in the vacuum cleaner.

What you could say is that bagless vacuum cleaners can be dusty or dirty.  I have no problem w/that.  That would be factual.  It is actually a dirt collector.  All vacuum cleaners must be maintained properly, to be efficient for the machine, as well as the user.

I am going to say it again, bagless vacuum cleaners are not unhealthy for healthy people.  A bagless can be unhealthy for a person who is allergic to dustmite feces/excrement, which is vacuumed up by the bagless, then emptied by this person . Or, possibly maintained by the same user.   There are other kinds of material, in the dustbin/bag, which could affect some also, but I am not going to run through every one of them.

Oh here we go again, you're the moderator, therefore no one can offer a differing opinion - where does that say that in the terms and conditions of this site?

You can keep talking about as much as you wish about how bag less can be healthy, or whatever you choose to relay in terms of being pedantic. However, NO clinics. surgeries or large corporate health establishments EVER use bagless, cyclonic vacuums. Some have a central vac with a bag at the end to take all the traffic dust collected. Now, why is that? Surely it would be more cost effective to use bagless vacuums in these kind of places. No, they use bags, they cost extra money and cleaning companies don't have the time to keep sweeping up the dust that the plastic bins leave behind when dumping the dust AND then spend more time cleaning out the filters int the bin when there's a loss of suction. I know this because I have worked as a contract cleaner - so here's a FACT for you to take on board. I have worked in a few large hospitals in a few major cities across the UK. Hospitals who don't use contract cleaners have their own bagged vacuums - again not bagless. Don't bother going there with scenarios of being scared of dirt - since the average house hold consumer now buys antibacterial cleaning hand gel at a time when it was only available in hospitals, consumers clearly want hygiene peace of mind whether they are allergic or not.

Secondly, you wouldn't leave a bin in your kitchen looking dirty, or even use the bin WITHOUT a bag in place - what's the difference? End of the day the owner would have to wash out the bin, clean it and make it hygienically safe to be around. Same with those who own a few brands where the vacuum filters need regular maintenance to keep the suction going.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #10   Jul 23, 2012 2:01 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Oh here we go again, you're the moderator, therefore no one can offer a differing opinion - where does that say that in the terms and conditions of this site?

You can keep talking about as much as you wish about how bag less can be healthy, or whatever you choose to relay in terms of being pedantic. However, NO clinics. surgeries or large corporate health establishments EVER use bagless, cyclonic vacuums. Some have a central vac with a bag at the end to take all the traffic dust collected. Now, why is that? Surely it would be more cost effective to use bagless vacuums in these kind of places. No, they use bags, they cost extra money and cleaning companies don't have the time to keep sweeping up the dust that the plastic bins leave behind when dumping the dust AND then spend more time cleaning out the filters int the bin when there's a loss of suction. I know this because I have worked as a contract cleaner - so here's a FACT for you to take on board. I have worked in a few large hospitals in a few major cities across the UK. Hospitals who don't use contract cleaners have their own bagged vacuums - again not bagless. Don't bother going there with scenarios of being scared of dirt - since the average house hold consumer now buys antibacterial cleaning hand gel at a time when it was only available in hospitals, consumers clearly want hygiene peace of mind whether they are allergic or not.

Secondly, you wouldn't leave a bin in your kitchen looking dirty, or even use the bin WITHOUT a bag in place - what's the difference? End of the day the owner would have to wash out the bin, clean it and make it hygienically safe to be around. Same with those who own a few brands where the vacuum filters need regular maintenance to keep the suction going.

Please stop using "you're the moderator" excuse.  Every person has a right to make a comment.  Every person can debate.  I like that you now say "differing opinion".  So we can now say that a simple comment, "using a bagless vacuum cleaner is unhealthy" is just your opinion.

I am not really going to comment too much about your following comments, because it is mainly again talking about the performance and not being "unhealthy".  I will touch on your discussion about hospitals and such.  They are free to choose what they want.   We are talking about a person in a home, who has no problem.  Would you agree that a hospital is a different situation?  Would you agree that w/all the people who walk through a hospital, maybe at least one of them has some kind of compromised system.  I am one who just had surgery last week.  With all the times I have visited lately, I have seen all the precautions taken against germs, viruses, etc.  We are talking about an individual's home though.  That one household can choose what they want to use.. It does not mean that they are unhealthy, because they use some other process from a hospital.

I have been in many commercial establishments, who have commercial vacuum cleaners.  These vacuum cleaners can use those cloth shakeout bags.  I have seen some of those commercial HOOVER uprights w/the dump cups.  When I was just out of high school, I cleaned commercially for a time.  I used HOOVERs, Eurekas, w/shakeout bags.  I also used Advance, etc. 

Please do not use a comment like everyone buys it or does it as fact.  If that were true Euro Pro would have had the best vacuum cleaner in the world.

I am leaving my last post as is, because I feel that it plainly talks about who should or should not have a bagless vacuum cleaner.  It is so funny that I am a person who prefers bagged cleaners, but am defending a person who wants a bagless.  But then, I am showing that I am not bias for/againsts bagless/bagged.  Bagless may not be right for everyone, but are fine for some.
vacmanuk

Reply #11   Jul 24, 2012 6:59 am
Mike_W wrote:
Please stop using "you're the moderator" excuse.  Every person has a right to make a comment.  Every person can debate.  I like that you now say "differing opinion".  So we can now say that a simple comment, "using a bagless vacuum cleaner is unhealthy" is just your opinion.

I am not really going to comment too much about your following comments, because it is mainly again talking about the performance and not being "unhealthy".  I will touch on your discussion about hospitals and such.  They are free to choose what they want.   We are talking about a person in a home, who has no problem.  Would you agree that a hospital is a different situation?  Would you agree that w/all the people who walk through a hospital, maybe at least one of them has some kind of compromised system.  I am one who just had surgery last week.  With all the times I have visited lately, I have seen all the precautions taken against germs, viruses, etc.  We are talking about an individual's home though.  That one household can choose what they want to use.. It does not mean that they are unhealthy, because they use some other process from a hospital.

I have been in many commercial establishments, who have commercial vacuum cleaners.  These vacuum cleaners can use those cloth shakeout bags.  I have seen some of those commercial HOOVER uprights w/the dump cups.  When I was just out of high school, I cleaned commercially for a time.  I used HOOVERs, Eurekas, w/shakeout bags.  I also used Advance, etc. 

Please do not use a comment like everyone buys it or does it as fact.  If that were true Euro Pro would have had the best vacuum cleaner in the world.

I am leaving my last post as is, because I feel that it plainly talks about who should or should not have a bagless vacuum cleaner.  It is so funny that I am a person who prefers bagged cleaners, but am defending a person who wants a bagless.  But then, I am showing that I am not bias for/againsts bagless/bagged.  Bagless may not be right for everyone, but are fine for some.

Well I can definately tell you this - hospitals don't use bagless vacuums in the UK. There are laws in the health & safety document that lead companies to bring in bagged vacuums.

I'm not trying to "sell" the idea that bagged is better than bagless - but I am giving opinions and facts based on my own experiences that show the bagless route involves more cleaning up after. Also hospitals have hard floors/soft vinyl for the most part and even the polishers have bags in them.
Anjalena

Reply #12   Jul 26, 2012 3:08 pm
Hey guys. Sorry if I caused the drama. Drama in a forum is never good and I'd hate to think I caused it.

Anyway, from what you've both said, it sounds like the Hoover Windtunnel Air is my best bet so I think I'll go with that. I have a couple of questions, though.

First, should I ever use the brushroll feature on my floors? Since I have only linoleum, it would seem I wouldn't need the brush roll at all. But I trust that you guys know a lot more about practical vacuum use so I wanted to ask.

Secondly, how often should I -ACTUALLY- clean the filters? I don't necessarily trust manuals and companies selling it since their interest is always to make their product out to be as perfect as possible. (gotta love that bottom line, eh?) So what do you guys think on how often to clean the filters?

Lastly, I'm trying to get info on these new pet cleaning attachments. One is called the Rubberized Wiper Blade Pet Tool and the other is the Rubberized Pet Turbo Tool which seems to be a little motorized brush tool. (the part numbers for each are 303303001 for the first tool and 000977002 for the second tool. I've been trying to find some videos on their usage but can't seem to find any. That seems strange to me since it's a "Seen on TV" product and I'm sure there is an Infomercial out there for it. I'm trying to make a decision on how good or useless they are. If they're really good on cleaning upholstery and such, I thought I could buy the Windtunnel Air refurbished and then just buy those 2 tools separately. That would save me a lot more money than buying all of them brand new.

What are your thoughts? Please include any url links that I could use that would help me make a decision. =)
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #13   Jul 27, 2012 4:20 am

Do not worry.  My hope is that anyone reading will learn from what is written.

My suggestion, after receiving your vacuum cleaner, is to read the instructions completely.  Make sure others, in your household, understand how to use and care for it also. 

The filters should be checked regularly.  The intervals are going to be different for everyone, because we all may have different situations.  Some will have to vacuum up very fine dust, while others may vacuum up larger debris, while still others may vacuum up fine dust, hair and debris.  If you are mainly vacuuming up hair, it could be every two months.  What you need to do is learn about your vacuum cleaner and what it picks up.  Maybe open up the filter cover and examine the filter.  If it is caked full of dust and hair, it would not hurt to rinse it out.  If you understand the intervals between cleaning the filter, you will have no problem knowing when to rinse the filter.  Also check the final filter.  This should not get too dusty, but remember not to wash it. 

Another way to understand when to rinse the vacuum cleaner filter, is if the suction falls off.  Do not let it go that far, because that means a big drop in performance

You really should have no problem vacuuming w/the brushroll off.  It will become difficult when the airflow is greatly reduced.  Just start off vacuuming with the brushroll OFF.  I have noticed that sometimes, larger debris like a piece of paper can get lodged in the brushroll chamber, when the brushroll is OFF. Dog hair, dirt, cheerios, or similar, should be no problem.

One thing I do not like about the HOOVER WT Air are the attachments.  They are small and awkward to use.  Manufacturers have slowly shrunk and cheapened attachments to save money, save space on smaller vacuum cleaners and to save weight on vacuum cleaners.  The attachments, for the WT Air are basically for users who do not have much use for attachment cleaning.

I am not a big fan of the two optional accessories you mentioned.  I feel that you do not need the rubberized wiper blade pet tool, because you can use the small attachment which comes w/the WT Air.  But, it is not going to cost that much if you really want it.  What HOOVER is doing is cheapening their products even more by replacing brush bristles w/soft blade strips.  One advantage though is that hair can be easily removed from the blades, compared to bristles, as you vacuum.

Now about the mini turbo attachment.  They have replaced the bristles w/rubbery blades also.  I do not like the cleaning results from a blade as compared to bristles.  Bristles will have more flex/bend on fabric and carpeting.  You should be able to find a HOOVER mini turbo attachment from independent retailers, which still use bristles.

I really do not care for the smaller mini turbo attachments, from these mass market manufacturers like HOOVER/Royal/Dirt Devil/VAX, Panasonic/Kenmore , etc.  They are small and have a small cleaning path.  They also bog down easily, partly because of their smaller turbines.  The larger mini turbo attachments from makers like H-P. Products and Wessel-Werk are true performers.  I have had an H.P. Rug Rat for over 30yrs. and it has performed superbly.  This model was used on a few brands of vacuum cleaners in the past.  Wessel-Werk has two models of mini turbo attachments also which perform equally as well as the H.P. Rug Rat.  I have found their more deluxe model to be quiet.  These models, which I have mentioned, are going to be higher than your budget, but I wanted to mention them for anyone else looking for a mini turbo attachment.  The rubberized pet turbo tool will actually clean better than the attachment on the vacuum cleaner or the other rubberized tool.  Check out ebay for “Hoover turbo attachment for pet hair” and see what comes up.  You also want to make sure that the fitting is a 1 ¼” fitting and friction-fit.  That means it slides on without locking. 

This should get you started. 

vacmanuk

Reply #14   Jul 28, 2012 10:41 am
Anjalena wrote:
Hey guys. Sorry if I caused the drama. Drama in a forum is never good and I'd hate to think I caused it.

Anyway, from what you've both said, it sounds like the Hoover Windtunnel Air is my best bet so I think I'll go with that. I have a couple of questions, though.

First, should I ever use the brushroll feature on my floors? Since I have only linoleum, it would seem I wouldn't need the brush roll at all. But I trust that you guys know a lot more about practical vacuum use so I wanted to ask.

Secondly, how often should I -ACTUALLY- clean the filters? I don't necessarily trust manuals and companies selling it since their interest is always to make their product out to be as perfect as possible. (gotta love that bottom line, eh?) So what do you guys think on how often to clean the filters?

Lastly, I'm trying to get info on these new pet cleaning attachments. One is called the Rubberized Wiper Blade Pet Tool and the other is the Rubberized Pet Turbo Tool which seems to be a little motorized brush tool. (the part numbers for each are 303303001 for the first tool and 000977002 for the second tool. I've been trying to find some videos on their usage but can't seem to find any. That seems strange to me since it's a "Seen on TV" product and I'm sure there is an Infomercial out there for it. I'm trying to make a decision on how good or useless they are. If they're really good on cleaning upholstery and such, I thought I could buy the Windtunnel Air refurbished and then just buy those 2 tools separately. That would save me a lot more money than buying all of them brand new.

What are your thoughts? Please include any url links that I could use that would help me make a decision. =)

Hi Anjalena
Since my last post I have been very lucky to have a friend of mine who has returned from the U.S, lock, stock and barrel following a sudden, tragic loss of her partner. Apart from the fantastic Waring blender she bought with her and tons of things, she also has the Windtunnel Air that she couldn't live without. She has since bought a voltage transformer to use it in her home, so I gave it a go and find it a bit easier to use than my own Vax. I find that it works well with brush roll on or off BETTER than the UK version. Vax have since brought out a new version with a swivel built into the floor head but I'm really taken with her Windtunnel Air.

Now, in so far as the attachments, I would agree with Mike to a certain degree. First of all, any tool with a rubber blade is going to be harder work when it meets any kind of fabric. Let me tell, using squeegee/rubber strip floor heads with wet cleaners is hard enough on hard floor - yes, whilst the Rubberized Wiper Blade Pet Tool is small and neat, I don't like the tool because there are too many rubber blades which would give your hand a real work out, pet hair would stick to the blades and require more pulling off of the hair yourself rather than use the vacuum. Also the neck is fairly thin plastic and it could crack over time.

It is true that whilst the smaller tools are of not much use, at least you have them. I find them basic but they do the job as intended, especially with the more flexible extension hose attached. I have a fantastic Electrolux turbo tool that has twin rubber blades permanently fixed on the bottom and a handy visor that you can slide up for cleaning stairs. I've had it for years and I'd be lost without it - its an air turbine pet tool much the same as a lot on the market with far more functions than just a pet hair brush roller.

Check out http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-Home-62550D-2-Power-Vacuum/dp/B003OEO2QC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343486139&sr=8-3&keywords=Eureka+turbo+tool

It is slightly more expensive than the Hoover turbo tool on Amazon.com but you're getting three functions from this power nozzle and it will fit the Windtunnel Air as it has a 3.2cm/32mm measurement. Note that there's far more of a positive feedback for this tool than the Hoover turbo tool (http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Turbine-Powered-Hand-40200013/dp/B000I17C5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343486119&sr=8-1&keywords=Hoover+turbo+tool)

Another pet tool that IS expensive but really well thought out is the Dyson Pet Hair tool. I also have this and it comes with an adaptor as standard to fit other machines, again the 3.2cm/32mm measurement.
edman

Reply #15   Jul 28, 2012 1:10 pm
I recommend a kirby vacuum. I obtained a 15 year old one I got for cheap and it works great, I have had it for 5 years so now it is 20 years old. It is not lightweight but nothing cleans as well as the kirby does. It creates a suction to the carpet and lifts it as while it is beating it so I know it is cleaning from the bottom up. All other vacuums just beat the top of the carpet without lifting the carpet. Even though it is heavy it is easy to push because it is self propelled. I never have to lift it even if I am cleaning high, I just attach the hose. It is so easy to push my daughter can ride it while I clean. I made a video of her riding it while I clean: http://youtu.be/PnviK0WSfEs . I hope this is of some help to you.
Anjalena

Reply #16   Jul 28, 2012 7:06 pm
Thanks Mike and Vacmanuk. That gives me a lot to think about.

So, for the filter cleaning, it's basically situational. For my situation, there is a LOT of hair and dust. The hair is both human and cat. I am getting older and my hair's coming out a lot and my cats shed more than any other cats on the planet, I think. *laugh* Well, my workers have told me that and these are different workers at different times and years, who work with many other clients who have pets too. I have no idea why my pets shed so much. I can just pet them, just one or two strokes along their back, and come back with a several pinchfuls of fur at least. And that's EVERY time, even after they've been brushed. And one of them is just a short-haired cat and he sheds the most! I feed them high-end expensive foods, so I have no clue.

Anyway, this fur/hair/dust combo floats around my floor like tumbleweeds in an old Western cowboy movie. My home care worker will sweep all my floors and in less than a couple of hours, it's all over the floor again. I'm guessing a lot of it is hiding under my couch and other furniture. Whatever it is, it seems almost a hopeless situation. And you should see fans and computers and stuff around here, things that draw in air... just COVERED with dust and fur. One of our high velocity fans which is in the hallway routing cold air from my air conditioner to my 23 yr old son's room is CAKED with fur and dust. And I JUST cleaned it thoroughly not 1 or 2 weeks ago!

We've just felt pretty hopeless around here about the whole situation. This vacuum is my last resort and the only thing I can think of. And we do have multiple cleaning things like... a rubber broom, a dust mop/broom, regular straw broom, swiffer wetjet mop, shark steam cleaner, and things like that. The dust mop is good for picking up and holding hair, but not the other dirt and debris.. so when you pick the mop/broom up to take the next stroke, all the litter and dust and everything just falls out and scatters.

Anyway, yeah, it's a mess. I hope the vacuum really helps.

The reason I was looking at the pet attachments with the rubber bits is because rubber seems to be much better for grabbing hold of fur. I've got a little hand-held rubber brush (just exactly like this one but mine is purple... and I got mine from QVC in the U.S. - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Brush-For-Hair-Removal/dp/B004QWWTM0) and it works wonders for getting fur off of furniture and clothes but it takes some strength and endurance to use. So I thought maybe the attachments with the rubber would be a good idea. But obviously it also depends on the quality and make of the attachment.

So yeah, thanks for the head's up about the attachments I was looking at, Mike. And Vacmanuk, thanks for the link to the Electrolux attachment. I'll look into it. =)

Thanks again, guys!
This message was modified Jul 28, 2012 by Anjalena
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #17   Jul 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Yes, you will have to check the filter regularly.  Start out checking it every few week, so you can get a “feel” for how long it takes to accumulate dust and other debris.  What will happen is the underside of the filter will get lighter in color.  Or I should really say there will be a lack of filter color.  Depending on how dirty your home is, you may or may not need to wash it out every month.  The instruction manual says every two months.

Someone will have to be the responsible one, to check and rinse the filter.  With so many people using one vacuum cleaner, it is going to get palmed off on someone else.  No one is going to check, because they will assume someone else will do it. 

Wash the filter after you are finished vacuuming, because it will take approx. 24hrs. to dry.  If you vacuum quite often, or someone is in the habit of using the vacuum without a filter, purchase another filter.  This way, the vacuum can still be used while the other filter is drying.  Believe me, I have seen the results of someone using a vacuum cleaner w/o the installed filter.

You are going to have a lot of hair to clean up, that is true.  That is one of the joys of having a pet.  I went through the same thing w/pets.  During shedding season, I would have to vacuum three times a week.  Off season, I did it twice at least.  There are others that clean daily, for this problem.

What also makes it look worse is that you have no carpeting.  Carpeting is good a holding the hair in place.  I will never have a house w/o carpeting.  Depending on the color of animals and carpeting, hair can appear to be invisible.  I have no problem vacuuming.  I know of a woman who has tile floors and animals.  Within hours of cleaning up hair, there is more.

Make a habit of brushing the animals daily, because this will help some. 

I love the high velocity fans.  I have had one for around 20yrs., I think.  What you need to do is find a Cut-to-fit foam air conditioner filter, cut it to the size of the fan and attach it to the back(intake end) of fan.  You should quickly notice hair and duct collecting on filter and less on the fan blades.

Regularly check the HVAC intake vent, its filter, fans, and coils of refrigerator.  Hair likes to attach to these areas.  You refrigerator will have to work harder, if hair and dust are covering the coils.

I would suggest that you banish the corn broom to the outdoors/garage, because it will leave dust and dirt behind.  Try this experiment by sprinkling baking soda down, then make a one stroke sweep.  Notice the baking soda left behind.  Find a softer/tighter bristled broom like the one below-

http://www.quickie.com/Public/Products/Default.aspx?UID=&ProductCategoryId=51&ProductId=14

Dust mops are very good for cleaning.  No, they will not pick up everything.  Just use the mop to push debris to centrally located piles, then use a broom and dustpan to pick up the piles.

I would say that the Eureka mini turbo brush will work the same as the HOOVER.  It will have the same quality.  I would only tell you to get this one, because of its very cheap price.  With the tool, plus the s/h, it will come out cheaper than the tool you had linked to earlier.  I know your funds are limited.  If the Riccar turbo brush is listed correctly on the amazon site, I would say jump on it.  It is a deluxe version, from Wessel-Werk, at a very  good price.  It is at the lower portion of the same page(links to other attachments).

vacmanuk

Reply #18   Jul 28, 2012 10:59 pm
Anjalena wrote:
Thanks Mike and Vacmanuk. That gives me a lot to think about.

So, for the filter cleaning, it's basically situational. For my situation, there is a LOT of hair and dust. The hair is both human and cat. I am getting older and my hair's coming out a lot and my cats shed more than any other cats on the planet, I think. *laugh* Well, my workers have told me that and these are different workers at different times and years, who work with many other clients who have pets too. I have no idea why my pets shed so much. I can just pet them, just one or two strokes along their back, and come back with a several pinchfuls of fur at least. And that's EVERY time, even after they've been brushed. And one of them is just a short-haired cat and he sheds the most! I feed them high-end expensive foods, so I have no clue.

Anyway, this fur/hair/dust combo floats around my floor like tumbleweeds in an old Western cowboy movie. My home care worker will sweep all my floors and in less than a couple of hours, it's all over the floor again. I'm guessing a lot of it is hiding under my couch and other furniture. Whatever it is, it seems almost a hopeless situation. And you should see fans and computers and stuff around here, things that draw in air... just COVERED with dust and fur. One of our high velocity fans which is in the hallway routing cold air from my air conditioner to my 23 yr old son's room is CAKED with fur and dust. And I JUST cleaned it thoroughly not 1 or 2 weeks ago!

We've just felt pretty hopeless around here about the whole situation. This vacuum is my last resort and the only thing I can think of. And we do have multiple cleaning things like... a rubber broom, a dust mop/broom, regular straw broom, swiffer wetjet mop, shark steam cleaner, and things like that. The dust mop is good for picking up and holding hair, but not the other dirt and debris.. so when you pick the mop/broom up to take the next stroke, all the litter and dust and everything just falls out and scatters.

Anyway, yeah, it's a mess. I hope the vacuum really helps.

The reason I was looking at the pet attachments with the rubber bits is because rubber seems to be much better for grabbing hold of fur. I've got a little hand-held rubber brush (just exactly like this one but mine is purple... and I got mine from QVC in the U.S. - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Brush-For-Hair-Removal/dp/B004QWWTM0) and it works wonders for getting fur off of furniture and clothes but it takes some strength and endurance to use. So I thought maybe the attachments with the rubber would be a good idea. But obviously it also depends on the quality and make of the attachment.

So yeah, thanks for the head's up about the attachments I was looking at, Mike. And Vacmanuk, thanks for the link to the Electrolux attachment. I'll look into it. =)

Thanks again, guys!

Personally speaking my friend relayed to me a very similar situation with my own Vax Mach Air - it takes around 3 months before the filters required to be cleaned - (but your situation may involve less or more time) and she uses the tip I've given to many when it comes to washing and drying the filter - hand wash with dish washing liquid or soft detergent but don't use an abrasive brush, just allow to soak in hot water and then (NOT dishwasher liquid as this is very different!) bung the wet filter into a pillowcase AND a terry cotton towel and tie up into a knot before putting it into a tumble dryer on a LOW temp dry program. The towel inside the pillowcase acts as a perimeter between the filter, pillowcase and the drum of your machine. It takes roughly an hour to an hour and a half for the filter to dry off than it would take over a 24 hour period. I know you said your costs were limited, and I generally found myself that my original filter didn't have to be replaced until three years were up.

Personally I don't like rubber blades - too much resistance on fabrics and a nightmare to use on hard flooring - turbine, roller brushes, beater bars - whatever you want to call them - they always work best on hair. Yes you have to clean the rollers, but you would have to do that anyway with an upright vacuum anyway, I find most rubber blades etc remove hair but they also clog up and I spend ages picking the hair off. Bissell had a great hand held vac on the market many years ago that was corded and had a suction only channel with two rubber sides on either side of the dust channel. It seemed to be very popular but I think it was also down to the fact that it was mains corded, thus constant power versus cordless.
This message was modified Jul 28, 2012 by vacmanuk
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #19   Jul 28, 2012 11:35 pm
edman wrote:
I recommend a kirby vacuum. I obtained a 15 year old one I got for cheap and it works great, I have had it for 5 years so now it is 20 years old. It is not lightweight but nothing cleans as well as the kirby does. It creates a suction to the carpet and lifts it as while it is beating it so I know it is cleaning from the bottom up. All other vacuums just beat the top of the carpet without lifting the carpet. Even though it is heavy it is easy to push because it is self propelled. I never have to lift it even if I am cleaning high, I just attach the hose. It is so easy to push my daughter can ride it while I clean. I made a video of her riding it while I clean: http://youtu.be/PnviK0WSfEs . I hope this is of some help to you.
Kirbys are very good vacuum cleaners.  They have their place.  I do believe that your experiece(s) are limited.  There are quite a few vacuum cleaners that will create that lift affect.  Take a look at Royal vacuum cleaners.  Their Everlast uprights, formerly called "All Metal" uprights create the same lifting you are talking about.  Eureka's former line, including rebrands for other companies, its spin-offs, plus their Sanitaire line also will give you the same thing on carpeting.

If it works for you,and you like it, that is great.
Anjalena

Reply #20   Jul 31, 2012 9:40 pm
Mike_W wrote:

Yes, you will have to check the filter regularly.  Start out checking it every few week, so you can get a “feel” for how long it takes to accumulate dust and other debris.  What will happen is the underside of the filter will get lighter in color.  Or I should really say there will be a lack of filter color.  Depending on how dirty your home is, you may or may not need to wash it out every month.  The instruction manual says every two months.

Someone will have to be the responsible one, to check and rinse the filter.  With so many people using one vacuum cleaner, it is going to get palmed off on someone else.  No one is going to check, because they will assume someone else will do it. 

Wash the filter after you are finished vacuuming, because it will take approx. 24hrs. to dry.  If you vacuum quite often, or someone is in the habit of using the vacuum without a filter, purchase another filter.  This way, the vacuum can still be used while the other filter is drying.  Believe me, I have seen the results of someone using a vacuum cleaner w/o the installed filter.

You are going to have a lot of hair to clean up, that is true.  That is one of the joys of having a pet.  I went through the same thing w/pets.  During shedding season, I would have to vacuum three times a week.  Off season, I did it twice at least.  There are others that clean daily, for this problem.

What also makes it look worse is that you have no carpeting.  Carpeting is good a holding the hair in place.  I will never have a house w/o carpeting.  Depending on the color of animals and carpeting, hair can appear to be invisible.  I have no problem vacuuming.  I know of a woman who has tile floors and animals.  Within hours of cleaning up hair, there is more.

Make a habit of brushing the animals daily, because this will help some. 

I love the high velocity fans.  I have had one for around 20yrs., I think.  What you need to do is find a Cut-to-fit foam air conditioner filter, cut it to the size of the fan and attach it to the back(intake end) of fan.  You should quickly notice hair and duct collecting on filter and less on the fan blades.

Regularly check the HVAC intake vent, its filter, fans, and coils of refrigerator.  Hair likes to attach to these areas.  You refrigerator will have to work harder, if hair and dust are covering the coils.

I would suggest that you banish the corn broom to the outdoors/garage, because it will leave dust and dirt behind.  Try this experiment by sprinkling baking soda down, then make a one stroke sweep.  Notice the baking soda left behind.  Find a softer/tighter bristled broom like the one below-

http://www.quickie.com/Public/Products/Default.aspx?UID=&ProductCategoryId=51&ProductId=14

Dust mops are very good for cleaning.  No, they will not pick up everything.  Just use the mop to push debris to centrally located piles, then use a broom and dustpan to pick up the piles.

I would say that the Eureka mini turbo brush will work the same as the HOOVER.  It will have the same quality.  I would only tell you to get this one, because of its very cheap price.  With the tool, plus the s/h, it will come out cheaper than the tool you had linked to earlier.  I know your funds are limited.  If the Riccar turbo brush is listed correctly on the amazon site, I would say jump on it.  It is a deluxe version, from Wessel-Werk, at a very  good price.  It is at the lower portion of the same page(links to other attachments).

Is this the attachment you're referring to, or did you mean the deluxe one (which is going for $71.99. OUCH!):

http://www.amazon.com/Riccar-Handheld-Brush-Standard-Cleaners/dp/B00106EBG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343777203&sr=8-1&keywords=riccar+turbo

Is that the one that you like better than the Hoover and the Eureka attachments?

As far as cleaning the filters go, that will end up being my job. My son would never do it unless I beat him over the head and forced him to. Heh. And my workers really aren't supposed to do maintenance type things like that... though she might be willing to do it if I asked. But as I'm usually the one who cleans the air conditioner filter and the high velocity fans (which I love my high velocity fans too! though don't blow it directly at you while you're sleeping unless you want to wake up with dry mouth, nose, and eyeballs! *ROFL!!*), I'm sure I'll end up with the job of cleaning the vac filter as well.

But our high velocity fans are short/small... almost like little shop fans... so I can set them up here on my desk and clean them. I've still got a bunch of Q-tips (ear cleaning swabs.. not sure what they're called in the UK) on my desk from cleaning the fan just a few weeks ago. And today I had to pick it up and wipe thick mats of fur off the intake vents from that same fan. My worker saw it and went "EWWWWW!" *sigh* And I totally forgot about the refrigerator! The back has NEVER been cleaned!! I'm surprised it still runs! *faint*

Here, I took a few pics to show you guys. I created an album on my Photobucket account and put the 4 pics in there. Make sure you click the thumbnail so you can see the bigger version. (actually the pics are bigger than what they show here but oh well) I wrote a description under each picture so be sure to read that. It's right under my name, Anjalena. My album with 4 pics for you guys.

Okay, having seen my fan now, how do I use the method you talked about, Mike, with the cut-to-size A/C filter? And where do I find that kind of thing? Please give links if you can.

I do hope to be able to get my WT Air soon, but I have to wait until my student loan stipend comes in for this semester. It should already be in my bank account but it isn't. Blargh!

As far as carpet vs hard flooring, I don't really have a choice. I'm so poor that I have to live in subsidized housing, which means I have to live in what's available. I hate this place! Mostly I hate the landlords but I also hate the apartments. They were built in the '70's and it shows. There's only ONE telephone jack in the whole place (not that apartment is very big, it's pretty small actually) and it's up on the wall in the hallway! With this being the age of the internet, that's pretty damn inconvenient. And they'll add more jacks if you want them, for $25 per jack, but they will not maintain them. They'll only maintain the original jack. For any others, you have to pay the phone company to come in and fix them and they are very expensive! The only thing I like about having no carpet is that it IS easier to clean up messes. Spill a drink, cat pukes on the floor, dog pees on the floor, whatever... it's much easier to clean up wet-type messes on hard flooring. But with hair and dust and dirt... hard flooring shows EVERYTHING! =(
This message was modified Jul 31, 2012 by Anjalena
Anjalena

Reply #21   Jul 31, 2012 10:05 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Personally speaking my friend relayed to me a very similar situation with my own Vax Mach Air - it takes around 3 months before the filters required to be cleaned - (but your situation may involve less or more time) and she uses the tip I've given to many when it comes to washing and drying the filter - hand wash with dish washing liquid or soft detergent but don't use an abrasive brush, just allow to soak in hot water and then (NOT dishwasher liquid as this is very different!) bung the wet filter into a pillowcase AND a terry cotton towel and tie up into a knot before putting it into a tumble dryer on a LOW temp dry program. The towel inside the pillowcase acts as a perimeter between the filter, pillowcase and the drum of your machine. It takes roughly an hour to an hour and a half for the filter to dry off than it would take over a 24 hour period. I know you said your costs were limited, and I generally found myself that my original filter didn't have to be replaced until three years were up.

Personally I don't like rubber blades - too much resistance on fabrics and a nightmare to use on hard flooring - turbine, roller brushes, beater bars - whatever you want to call them - they always work best on hair. Yes you have to clean the rollers, but you would have to do that anyway with an upright vacuum anyway, I find most rubber blades etc remove hair but they also clog up and I spend ages picking the hair off. Bissell had a great hand held vac on the market many years ago that was corded and had a suction only channel with two rubber sides on either side of the dust channel. It seemed to be very popular but I think it was also down to the fact that it was mains corded, thus constant power versus cordless.

Hey Vacmanuk.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be cleaning mine once a month. It's bad here. But I'll check the filter probably once a week at first to get an idea of how fast it's getting dirty. Thanks for the tip on how to wash it. I won't be drying it that way since I don't have a dryer in my apartment. These little $#%*ty government-subsidized apartments don't have washer/dryer hookups in them at all. But that's the same way that I wash and dry my stuffies. I've got a stuffed bear in my room that I tend to use as a pillow. My "bed" is a couch and I sleep with my head up on the arm of the couch. But it's kinda hard and not comfy, so I use the bear to soften the experience. heh. But when he gets dirty, I throw him in a pillow-case and tie it closed, then throw him in the wash and the dryer. I got that tip on TV somewhere in the distant past. Seems it's a safe way to wash stuffed animals without ruining them. =)

I'll see how much another filter costs and if I have the money anytime in the near future, I'll buy an extra one to use while the first is drying. But vacuuming will probably only happen 2-3 times a week, if that. Trying to get my son to do chores is like trying to motivate a wall to move and my PCA is only here twice a week. And like I mentioned in one of those 4 pictures I linked above, if we have to go to the store or to do laundry or do anything that takes most of our time that day, chores won't get done that day. I'm supposed to have a worker 3 days a week but my current girl is out of university (heh, a little Brit lingo!) for the summer and moved back to live with her parents until school starts again. So she's only near here on Tuesdays and Wednesdays so those are the two days I get a worker. Which means I'm without somebody for 5 days in a row. I'll be glad when her classes start up again. Or I might be getting a new girl soon.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't use a rubber blade on the floor! ACK! Well, I have a rubber broom and it works great but you HAVE to hold it at a certain distance from you to prevent the awful friction resistance. So most of my workers, and my son, just avoid it. But it works better than any other broom I've ever had. I just can't use it myself. I tried to sweep up around the litter boxes a little while ago. The whole thing took me less than 2 minutes. But well before I was done, I was in a lot of pain. Sweeping, especially, just pisses my back off. It must be the position that you have to hold your body in while sweeping that does it. That's all I can figure.

I like the roller brushes but they're really probably not going to help me on this floor. Plus, I loathe having to dig out wound up hair from between all those bristles. It's definitely UNfun! But there's one thing I'm liking about the WT Air, and I don't even have it yet. I watched the little Usage and Maintenance videos that come with the vacuum and the one that shows how to change the belt makes me super happy! I remember having to help my Mom change vacuum belts back when I was growing up and it was infuriating and almost impossible! I like the way the WT Air's system of belt replacement works. Seems like it would be MUCH easier than the old days.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #22   Jul 31, 2012 11:00 pm
Anjalena wrote:
Is this the attachment you're referring to, or did you mean the deluxe one (which is going for $71.99. OUCH!):

http://www.amazon.com/Riccar-Handheld-Brush-Standard-Cleaners/dp/B00106EBG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343777203&sr=8-1&keywords=riccar+turbo

Is that the one that you like better than the Hoover and the Eureka attachments?

As far as cleaning the filters go, that will end up being my job. My son would never do it unless I beat him over the head and forced him to. Heh. And my workers really aren't supposed to do maintenance type things like that... though she might be willing to do it if I asked. But as I'm usually the one who cleans the air conditioner filter and the high velocity fans (which I love my high velocity fans too! though don't blow it directly at you while you're sleeping unless you want to wake up with dry mouth, nose, and eyeballs! *ROFL!!*), I'm sure I'll end up with the job of cleaning the vac filter as well.

But our high velocity fans are short/small... almost like little shop fans... so I can set them up here on my desk and clean them. I've still got a bunch of Q-tips (ear cleaning swabs.. not sure what they're called in the UK) on my desk from cleaning the fan just a few weeks ago. And today I had to pick it up and wipe thick mats of fur off the intake vents from that same fan. My worker saw it and went "EWWWWW!" *sigh* And I totally forgot about the refrigerator! The back has NEVER been cleaned!! I'm surprised it still runs! *faint*

Here, I took a few pics to show you guys. I created an album on my Photobucket account and put the 4 pics in there. Make sure you click the thumbnail so you can see the bigger version. (actually the pics are bigger than what they show here but oh well) I wrote a description under each picture so be sure to read that. It's right under my name, Anjalena. My album with 4 pics for you guys.

Okay, having seen my fan now, how do I use the method you talked about, Mike, with the cut-to-size A/C filter? And where do I find that kind of thing? Please give links if you can.

I do hope to be able to get my WT Air soon, but I have to wait until my student loan stipend comes in for this semester. It should already be in my bank account but it isn't. Blargh!

As far as carpet vs hard flooring, I don't really have a choice. I'm so poor that I have to live in subsidized housing, which means I have to live in what's available. I hate this place! Mostly I hate the landlords but I also hate the apartments. They were built in the '70's and it shows. There's only ONE telephone jack in the whole place (not that apartment is very big, it's pretty small actually) and it's up on the wall in the hallway! With this being the age of the internet, that's pretty damn inconvenient. And they'll add more jacks if you want them, for $25 per jack, but they will not maintain them. They'll only maintain the original jack. For any others, you have to pay the phone company to come in and fix them and they are very expensive! The only thing I like about having no carpet is that it IS easier to clean up messes. Spill a drink, cat pukes on the floor, dog pees on the floor, wIhatever... it's much easier to clean up wet-type messes on hard flooring. But with hair and dust and dirt... hard flooring shows EVERYTHING! =(
That is the link I was talking about.  It is a much more robust mini turbo attachment and will work fine w/ the HOOVER WT Air.  What I am concerned about are the two pictures of two different models.  There is the regular/standard mini turbo attachment(w/the inset picture of the attachment opened up), then there is the picture w/the deluxe, quieter mini turbo attachment.  For the listed price, w/free s/h, the standard model would be a good price.  If it ends up being the deluxe model, that is a fantastic deal.

The filter I am referring to is a foam cut-to-fit air filter.  It will be frameless foam material, in a plastic package.  It can be found at your local hardware store.  Type in "Cut-to-fit foam air filter" in a search engine to see what it looks like.  If it is foam, then it can be rinsed periodically.  The filter can be attached to the intake side of the coil/cage/grill of the fan.  It looks like the air enters your fan from the side(s).  I attach mine w/twist ties.

The belt, on the WT Air is very easy to change.  Because it is a cogged(has "teeth") belt, it will not have to be changed all that often.  If it was running on carpeting, it could run for approx. ten years w/o wearing out.  Also, because of its cogged design, it will not be as tight as a stretch belt.  That works out great for those of limited strength.  If you run your machine on floors w/the brushroll OFF, the belt should last a long time.  There are those occasions when the belt could become defective and break in a few years. 
This message was modified Jul 31, 2012 by Mike_W
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #23   Aug 1, 2012 12:30 am
vacmanuk wrote:
 I have a fantastic Electrolux turbo tool that has twin rubber blades permanently fixed on the bottom and a handy visor that you can slide up for cleaning stairs. I've had it for years and I'd be lost without it - its an air turbine pet tool much the same as a lot on the market with far more functions than just a pet hair brush roller.

Check out http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-Home-62550D-2-Power-Vacuum/dp/B003OEO2QC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343486139&sr=8-3&keywords=Eureka+turbo+tool

It is slightly more expensive than the Hoover turbo tool on Amazon.com but you're getting three functions from this power nozzle and it will fit the Windtunnel Air as it has a 3.2cm/32mm measurement. Note that there's far more of a positive feedback for this tool than the Hoover turbo tool (http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Turbine-Powered-Hand-40200013/dp/B000I17C5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343486119&sr=8-1&keywords=Hoover+turbo+tool)

Another pet tool that IS expensive but really well thought out is the Dyson Pet Hair tool. I also have this and it comes with an adaptor as standard to fit other machines, again the 3.2cm/32mm measurement.

The risor visor is kind of a "bells & whistle" feature that is useless on this attachment, for cleaning stairs.  Eureka's Risor Visor first showed up on their Corvette vac/ Step Saver hand vacs.  It is still available on their present hand vacuum.  They promoted it as a great feature for cleaning the riser of the stairs.  Hence the name Risor Visor.  Eureka handvac users vacuum the steps of the stairs as usual, but when they wanted to vacuum the risers of the stairs, they would have to hold the vacuum in an awkward position to clean.  What added to the difficulty was the added weight on the hand/wrist. Personally, I did not think it was that difficult.  Eureka solved this problem by opening up the front w/a visor.  When this happened, the user just lifted the hand vac up and down.  There was no awkward position and off balance weight to worry about.. 

Now comes along the mini turbo attachment.  Every company must think of some way to make theirs special.  They put on the risor visor feature.  This is not needed.  There is no weight to the attachment.  All one does is vacuum the stair steps, then, get this, they turn their wrist.  Your wrist is positioned palm up or facing the riser.  It all depends how you are sitting on the stairs.  Actually, you could vacuum the risers w/your palm facing down also.  With this mini turbo attachment connected to a hose, you could even vacuum the risers from left to right by holding the tool sideways.  It is so simple.  Think of the time one saves by not switching the risor-visor on the turbo brush. Bells & Whistles keep manufacturers in business.  If you like it, good for you.  I prefer to have a better-performing mini turbo attachment.

I like how you like to use reviews from people you do not even know.  Do you know their knowledge level regarding vacuum cleaner?  Do you know how/what they clean?  How often they clean?  How dirty their environment is.  Some of the things people say in review are just hilarious.  I say this because I see people who say their vacuum cleaner is junk, because their carpets are not coming clean.  Then I take a look and see  their brushroll belt is broken.  How about people who will say the mini turbo attachment turns slowly.  This is a very simple one.  They do not clean the filters of their bagless vacuum cleaner, for one.  Or, their bag is too full.   They might have debris wrapped around the ends of their brushroll; making it impossible to turn.  There are even going to be shills.  There are going to  be people who honestly believe they are helping others w/their reviews.  If someone is interested in a product, do not base everything of a review, unless you understand where the reviewer is coming from or know his/her experience.  One of the worst comments someone in the market for a vacuum cleaner can say is, "I want to buy brand X, because 20 people said to and very few talked about brand Y".  What people need to do if they read a review is test it themselves.  Anything I say can be tested.  They can take what I say and go try the machine and see if it is true  Example-take a mini turbo attachment and one w/the risor-visor feature.  See for yourself.
This message was modified Aug 1, 2012 by Mike_W
vacmanuk

Reply #24   Aug 1, 2012 8:24 am
Mike_W wrote:
The risor visor is kind of a "bells & whistle" feature that is useless on this attachment, for cleaning stairs.  Eureka's Risor Visor first showed up on their Corvette vac/ Step Saver hand vacs.  It is still available on their present hand vacuum.  They promoted it as a great feature for cleaning the riser of the stairs.  Hence the name Risor Visor.  Eureka handvac users vacuum the steps of the stairs as usual, but when they wanted to vacuum the risers of the stairs, they would have to hold the vacuum in an awkward position to clean.  What added to the difficulty was the added weight on the hand/wrist. Personally, I did not think it was that difficult.  Eureka solved this problem by opening up the front w/a visor.  When this happened, the user just lifted the hand vac up and down.  There was no awkward position and off balance weight to worry about.. 

Now comes along the mini turbo attachment.  Every company must think of some way to make theirs special.  They put on the risor visor feature.  This is not needed.  There is no weight to the attachment.  All one does is vacuum the stair steps, then, get this, they turn their wrist.  Your wrist is positioned palm up or facing the riser.  It all depends how you are sitting on the stairs.  Actually, you could vacuum the risers w/your palm facing down also.  With this mini turbo attachment connected to a hose, you could even vacuum the risers from left to right by holding the tool sideways.  It is so simple.  Think of the time one saves by not switching the risor-visor on the turbo brush. Bells & Whistles keep manufacturers in business.  If you like it, good for you.  I prefer to have a better-performing mini turbo attachment.

I like how you like to use reviews from people you do not even know.  Do you know their knowledge level regarding vacuum cleaner?  Do you know how/what they clean?  How often they clean?  How dirty their environment is.  Some of the things people say in review are just hilarious.  I say this because I see people who say their vacuum cleaner is junk, because their carpets are not coming clean.  Then I take a look and see  their brushroll belt is broken.  How about people who will say the mini turbo attachment turns slowly.  This is a very simple one.  They do not clean the filters of their bagless vacuum cleaner, for one.  Or, their bag is too full.   They might have debris wrapped around the ends of their brushroll; making it impossible to turn.  There are even going to be shills.  There are going to  be people who honestly believe they are helping others w/their reviews.  If someone is interested in a product, do not base everything of a review, unless you understand where the reviewer is coming from or know his/her experience.  One of the worst comments someone in the market for a vacuum cleaner can say is, "I want to buy brand X, because 20 people said to and very few talked about brand Y".  What people need to do if they read a review is test it themselves.  Anything I say can be tested.  They can take what I say and go try the machine and see if it is true  Example-take a mini turbo attachment and one w/the risor-visor feature.  See for yourself.

Well, if the link that Anjalena has provided to the Riccar tool - I have that turbo tool - it is the same one they make for MIELE AND SEBO - and its absolutely useless in some cleaning scenarios. Oh yes it does the job well but cleaning the hairs off the thick bristles is a nonsense and time consuming, hence why I suggested the Eureka/Electrolux tool - it has thinner bristles and takes up pet hair in a jiffy - it is also a darn sight smaller and far lighter on the wrist. You might not have lifting difficulties but some people may do and this tool is far heavier than the Eureka one.

Also you may well feel that the risor visor is not needed. I however find it fantastic for cleaning the material on the front of my rear car seats where people brush their feet when getting into the car. The risor visor also makes it easier to clean the dust that sits on the padded fabric under the car seat runners. Of course it isn't always needed which is a lifestyle requirement depending on what you drive - I drive a Kia SUV and it sees a lot of action in fields, thus the car is always dirty and with pets on board it requires a brush roll as opposed to suction only floor head. Miele's car tool set only goes so far but the turbo brush is too bulky and big to get into awkward areas -the  Eureka one is smaller and more compact.

In so far as to review quoting, I'll do what I like thank you very much - after all our view points are what Anjalena are reading into - but they won't know what the vacuum is like until they try it. But I'll add in my experiences to boost my opinion and justification. Again, you may not have pain when you turn your wrist, or fight with a suction hose when it snaps back due to natural suction from a vacuum cleaner when you lift up a conventional turbo tool, but I like versatile cleaning tools that serve a purpose. The Eureka one with the risor visor prevents stress from other design issues like snapping back hoses - it is also fantastic for setting the natural flow of velour curtains or soft furnishings when the risor visor is lifted. See what I mean about versatile? If I have to continually change my hand when I'm cleaning with a hose in a downwards fashion and have to change it up, thus having to put up with hose to the side or at another angle, it is compromising - turbo tools with any design speed up cleaning time. IMHO, the Eureka design is far more efficient.
Anjalena

Reply #25   Aug 4, 2012 10:11 pm
You guys are like an old married couple, sheesh. *grin*

You both have been incredibly helpful. And guess what? I've listened to both of you and then made my own decision. Vacmanuk is right in that department. Reviews themselves aren't necessarily a bad thing if you use some common sense along with them. If you realize that there will always be a percentage of reviewers who can't be pleased by anything, or got a defective unit, or had a specific situation that this particular unit didn't suit, or didn't understand exactly how it worked or how to maintain it, OR on the other side, they only had to use the unit periodically or situationally and so it always worked perfectly, etc etc. You have to account for that. And then you have the reviewers like you guys who have tested it thoroughly before making an opinion. And there are those who are professionals and know what they're doing (though, depending on the item, might be a very small number of people). The point is that you have to look at more than just the raw numbers. You have to read through the reviews, and also use your common sense to make judgement calls on the reviews. But if you've got hundreds of reviews on an item and the majority (90% or more) are still 5 out of 5 stars, for example, then you probably have a good find. So you put it on the list with your other good finds and you do more research. Why do you think I came here and posted? You guys were PART of my research, not all. Nor were the reviews all of my research.

But I've learned a lot from you guys. I hoped by coming to a vacuum-specific forum, I would get people who were knowledgeable about vacuums and I would get a feedback-based knowledge in that I could ask specific questions and get responses and then question the responses. This was different from reviews since those have static information that is coming from only one perspective and that perspective might not be specific to what I need. So I knew it would be a good learning experience and it has been, despite the drama. =)

You guys, neither of you has to be right or wrong. I think of the world as if we're all looking through our own windows that give us a view of the world. But if my view is different than yours, or yours from his, etc... it might just be because my window is on the 10th floor, or you live further down the street. If I see something different than you, it's just my perspective, ya know? You guys should be friends. You both share a love for the same thing and that should bring you together. Having to fight against each other is only a measure of pride and ego. Being someone who's always had too much pride and ego, I know. I should probably belong to the Pride and Ego forum. *laugh* There have been far too many times when I fought back because I felt a need to be right. So I'm not just saying this to you guys. I'm saying it to me too.

I think as far as the hand tool, you both just have different needs and situations. Doesn't make either of you right or wrong. Just different. But you BOTH have important knowledge about vacuums and vacuuming that is valid and important and helpful. But the in-fighting just makes you seem unprofessional and petty and tends to run your newbies, who need help and guidance, off to somewhere that they might not get such good, experienced information. So that's just something to consider.

Anyway, I'll stop zen-fu'ing you guys here with my pearls of "wisdom" and my blabbity blah blah crap. *laugh* Thank you both, again, for all the information and help! =)
vacmanuk

Reply #26   Aug 5, 2012 3:02 pm
Anjalena - thank you - also please post back here once you do get your new vacuum and let us know how you get on!
Anjalena

Reply #27   Aug 7, 2012 10:42 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Anjalena - thank you - also please post back here once you do get your new vacuum and let us know how you get on!

Thanks Vac! I sure will. =) Well, I'll try to remember. I have some mental disfunctions that severely hamper my short-term memory. The only reason I've remembered to come back here is by keeping the link to this page up on my bookmark toolbar. So I'll keep it there and hope I remember. I'll probably wait a while to see how it really affects things around here... give it time to really work, ya know? But I'll try to remember to come back and let you guys know. You've been so helpful and very sweet.

And Mike hasn't said anything yet. I hope he isn't upset with me for my last message. It might have seemed kinda condescending. I didn't mean it that way. I was afraid both of you might have written back and fussed at me for it.
vacmanuk

Reply #28   Aug 8, 2012 1:53 pm
Oh I'm quite sure he will in time, not to worry.
Anjalena

Reply #29   Oct 1, 2012 5:59 pm
Well, you guys wanted to know how the Hoover Windtunnel Air worked out for me, so I'm back. I've only used it a few times cuz it scares the crap out of my kitty.

Anyway, I'll vacuum up a pile of dirt and fur, maybe a half to a quarter Cup if you were using a measuring cup from the kitchen, and when I turn the vacuum off and move it, some of the stuff falls back out of it. I've been using it with the brushes off since I have linoleum but I actually think turning the brush on works better. This is an OLD apartment and the flooring is crap. It's not level and it's dull and stained. So I don't think the brushes are really going to hurt it much.

But what do you guys think about the stuff falling back out of it?
This message was modified Oct 1, 2012 by Anjalena
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #30   Oct 2, 2012 12:36 am
Anjalena wrote:
Well, you guys wanted to know how the Hoover Windtunnel Air worked out for me, so I'm back. I've only used it a few times cuz it scares the crap out of my kitty.

Anyway, I'll vacuum up a pile of dirt and fur, maybe a half to a quarter Cup if you were using a measuring cup from the kitchen, and when I turn the vacuum off and move it, some of the stuff falls back out of it. I've been using it with the brushes off since I have linoleum but I actually think turning the brush on works better. This is an OLD apartment and the flooring is crap. It's not level and it's dull and stained. So I don't think the brushes are really going to hurt it much.

You should do fine w/the brushroll on or off.  When the brushroll is OFF, hair can get caught on the brushroll or get stuck between the brushroll and the brushroll chamber.  Debris, like kitty liittle, can sometiimes lodge itself in the chamber if there is a hidden crevice.  Debris can even sit around the edges of the bottom plate.  The brushroll can help move debris to the airflow intake, in the brushroll chamber.  If you find that you are vacuuming up alot of debris at once, you can tilt the vacuum to one side.  This will help dislodge any debris; moving it back into the air path.  This is also the same thing to do if something like a penny gets caught, but you do not want it to go through the machine; damaging something like a fan.  The object will usually shoot back out onto the floor. 

I wanted to make some comments from your previous post.  To start, you said, "Vacmanuk is right in that department. Reviews themselves aren't necessarily a bad thing if you use some common sense along with them".  Now, I said, "do not base everything of a review, unless you understand where the reviewer is coming from or know his/her experience."  Is this the topic you are contrasting?  I have to say, it looks like they are saying almost the same thing.  With your own situation, you did not base everything off a review.  You also came here and received more info.  The same as if you were walking into a vac shop.

I was making a comment to Vacmanuk, in this thread, because of something he said in another thread.  The discussion, about reviews, w/him, is in reference to a post he made here-

http://www.abbysguide.com/vacuum/discussions/64106-A-1.html

You see, one cannot make a conclusion on a vacuum cleaner he or she has never used, nor base it on only eight reviews.  All eight were not even bad reviews regarding the hose and power nozzle.  Plus, you cannot get an accurate conclusion , when reading over all of them.  Some said the cord was short, long, etc.   Eight reviews is not a good sample to conclude this particular brand and model is not very good, because there are more owners of the Riccar 1700. 

I am hoping that you have a better understanding of where I was coming from. 

BTW, did you purchase the extra attachments?  You did not mention it.

Happy Vacuuming!
This message was modified Oct 2, 2012 by Mike_W
vacmanuk

Reply #31   Oct 2, 2012 11:33 am
Anjalena wrote:

HI Anjalena. Glad you got the Windtunnel Air though I'm sorry it scares your cat. My cat gets scared any time our "quiet" Bosch dishwasher is on - just imagine what he does when the vacuums are on! Sadly because of budget restrictions and suggestions previously pointing towards Miele being your better bet, I'm not aware of any quieter vacuums in the U.S that can offer quieter motors than Miele. There may be other brands out there; but we in the UK aren't as lucky to get the brands that you can find in the U.S like Simplicity or Riccar. Perhaps those brands and associated models are quieter, I don't know.

I haven't personally got the issue of dust falling out but do bear in mind that Hoover's dust capacity is a very small 1.5 litres in the bin or 1.31 quarts. I notice Hoover U.S plays down this fact, not able to give this detail for its buyers, and instead promises "25% extra capacity." Hoover U.S already have got into trouble with Euro-Pro and Shark over false advertising with the Windtunnel Air and Navigator vacuums (See http://tushnet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/apparently-false-demonstration-still.html if you are interested.)

I would agree with Mike that if dust is falling out, then it is every possibility to point towards the dust channels on the floor head. Open up the top hood via the two clips at the front and inspect the twin or single dust channels where you may well find a piece of cat litter wedged that is knocking out dust after you finish. It is easy to remove if you have the time and if you have a blunt flexible stick. If the dust is falling out by the bin at the top, then the bin just needs to be emptied thoroughly. Also ensure that the rear hose is firmly pushed into the vacuum at the back. With the Windtunnel Air being a clean air vacuum, the motor fan is completely sealed.

When it comes to unlevel floors though, I find the brush roll is better - the underside is flush and flat to cope with carpets anyway, but on the basis that fibres naturally flatten down before being activated by a brush roller, using brushes on unlevel floors should give you better performance than no brush roll at all.
vacman2

Reply #32   Oct 9, 2012 4:16 pm
Being in sales and service that model has lot of clogging issues, make sure when u turn it on dust is swirling inside bin if not it is plugged somewhere, a straight suction can is best for hard surface
vacmanuk

Reply #33   Oct 10, 2012 10:28 am
vacman2 wrote:
Being in sales and service that model has lot of clogging issues, make sure when u turn it on dust is swirling inside bin if not it is plugged somewhere, a straight suction can is best for hard surface

Sorry but I don't see correlation to the previous posts for this thread. The Windunnel Air does not have a lot of clogging issues - actually probably down to the user who can't be bothered to maintain their vacuum - but then a lot of other brands and types suffer from the same problem. I rescued a fantastic vintage Hoover cylinder vacuum the other day and all that it required was a lump of dust removed from the hose. I can't believe someone threw it away.
vacman2

Reply #34   Oct 10, 2012 11:11 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Sorry but I don't see correlation to the previous posts for this thread. The Windunnel Air does not have a lot of clogging issues - actually probably down to the user who can't be bothered to maintain their vacuum - but then a lot of other brands and types suffer from the same problem. I rescued a fantastic vintage Hoover cylinder vacuum the other day and all that it required was a lump of dust removed from the hose. I can't believe someone threw it away.

Oh u don't huh, Anjelena said dirt was falling back out of her vacuum, generally that is because the brush bar is sweeping it into the hose but not being sucked into the dirt container, because of a clog, no wonder folks think this site is abrasive, because it is, I'm not just some chump who own's a couple vacuums
vacmanuk

Reply #35   Oct 10, 2012 8:20 pm
vacman2 wrote:
Oh u don't huh, Anjelena said dirt was falling back out of her vacuum, generally that is because the brush bar is sweeping it into the hose but not being sucked into the dirt container, because of a clog, no wonder folks think this site is abrasive, because it is, I'm not just some chump who own's a couple vacuums

Oh we already know you work in business, you've uttered that many times, I'm surprised you don't take advantage of the signature box. Come to vacuumland.org - so much better there and loads of members with different opinions are far more friendly.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #36   Oct 11, 2012 3:29 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Oh we already know you work in business, you've uttered that many times, I'm surprised you don't take advantage of the signature box. Come to vacuumland.org - so much better there and loads of members with different opinions are far more friendly.

vacmanuk wrote:
  If you wish me to contact powers above you again, you're going the right way - and this time, unlike so many other members who have left because of you I have the power to review your site and yourself.
You know, you really sound like you really do not want to be here.  You should be supporting this site.  You do not come here and not support it by telling others to come to a place so much better.  People need to seriously look at what you are writing here. 

If anyone has something to say, that is not vacuum cleaner related, they should post a private message.

Mike W.

Katherine77

Reply #37   Oct 19, 2012 12:00 am
I've recently been using a vacuum cleaner purchased by my mother and was very surprised at how absolutely wonderful it works. I'm now considering purchasing it myself for my home since I can't seem to find one better. She purchased it after getting new carpet all over her home in order to maintain it looking new and it has does an amazing job of that.  You may have heard of it, It is called the Dyson DC25 Ball All-Floors Vacuum.  It glides and angles very easily.  The ball in the center allows you to stay in one spot while vacuuming also enabling you to reach every angle without even turning your body. It is convenient and saves time while vacuuming. It has a strong suction that picks up dirt thoroughly from carpets, I've even used it on hard floors and it works great for that as well. I've used it in the bathroom to pick up hair and it cleans it all up. I also like how it is bag-less so you can simply take the canister off of the front and dump it out. Let me know if you have anymore questions or have any other vacuum suggestions. Thanks
This message was modified Sep 10, 2013 by a moderator
vacmanuk

Reply #38   Oct 19, 2012 10:14 am
Mike_W wrote:
You know, you really sound like you really do not want to be here.  You should be supporting this site.  You do not come here and not support it by telling others to come to a place so much better.  People need to seriously look at what you are writing here. 

If anyone has something to say, that is not vacuum cleaner related, they should post a private message.

Mike W.

I would support this site if others supported me; not cut me down with any opinion I choose to offer. This site for example doesn't offer any incentives for the review sections; a big black mark against other sites who do. Dont worry though, my global review of this site and yourself will shortly be available to be read.
procare

Reply #39   Oct 19, 2012 10:18 am
Katherine 77,

Before buying a Dyson make sure you have carpet that dyson will workon. There are carpets out there that Dyson is not recommended  to be used on. Frieze being one of them.

Procare

vacmanuk

Reply #40   Oct 19, 2012 10:24 am
Katherine77 wrote:
I've recently been using a vacuum cleaner purchased by my mother and was very surprised at how absolutely wonderful it works. I'm now considering purchasing it myself for my home since I can't seem to find one better. She purchased it after getting new carpet all over her home in order to maintain it looking new and it has does an amazing job of that.  You may have heard of it, It is called the Dyson DC25 Ball All-Floors Vacuum.  It glides and angles very easily.  The ball in the center allows you to stay in one spot while vacuuming also enabling you to reach every angle without even turning your body. It is convenient and saves time while vacuuming. It has a strong suction that picks up dirt thoroughly from carpets, I've even used it on hard floors and it works great for that as well. I've used it in the bathroom to pick up hair and it cleans it all up. I also like how it is bag-less so you can simply take the canister off of the front and dump it out. Let me know if you have anymore questions or have any other vacuum suggestions. Thanks

Im glad you like it. There are some rivals on the market like the Dyson, but if you like what you have got, best to stay with it.

Personally I've had it with bagless cyclonic vacs - about the only reason I chose to keep my Vax Mach Air upright (similar to the Windtunnel Air)  is that it took all the pet dirt and bird seed in one go off carpets and hard floors; a daily occurrence when dealing with family-owned pets. I have now replaced the Vax with a cordless low energy run brush roll sweeper and wondered why I never considered this cheaper option before. My main vacuum of choice uses a dust bag. I don't mind paying out for bags. It's a small price to pay to remain hygienic and my main upright swivels too, gets under low furniture (unlike the Dyson DC25 because the round bin gets in the way) and has a push button release where the entire brush roll just comes out for ease of cleaning hair from going around the brush bar.

Interestingly though, Dyson have shown a video of a new concept of tacking the clogged brush bar problem - they claim that by using contra-rotating brush tuft bristles, hair doesn't get a chance to clog up. However, as the owner of a cordless Gtech sweeper now, I can see where they have maybe got their inspiration from - the Gtech has round spinning bristle discs at the side for edge cleaning. Pet hair doesn't tend to get clogged up, but threads do which are easy to remove. See the video link of Dyson's rotation discs if you wish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dDzK-MJ9Uk
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #41   Oct 19, 2012 5:40 pm
Katherine77 wrote:
I've recently been using a vacuum cleaner purchased by my mother and was very surprised at how absolutely wonderful it works. I'm now considering purchasing it myself for my home since I can't seem to find one better. She purchased it after getting new carpet all over her home in order to maintain it looking new and it has does an amazing job of that.  You may have heard of it, It is called the.  It glides and angles very easily.  The ball in the center allows you to stay in one spot while vacuuming also enabling you to reach every angle without even turning your body. It is convenient and saves time while vacuuming. It has a strong suction that picks up dirt thoroughly from carpets, I've even used it on hard floors and it works great for that as well. I've used it in the bathroom to pick up hair and it cleans it all up. I also like how it is bag-less so you can simply take the canister off of the front and dump it out. Let me know if you have anymore questions or have any other vacuum suggestions. Thanks
I am curious about what other brands/models of vacuum cleaners you have compared w/the dyson.  I am not a fan of bagless vacuum cleaners, but will recommend them if someone finds they are having to change the bag more often.  I have to agree w/you that dysons "angle very easily" w/their swivel feature.  

I would suggest that you read the owner's manual before you take the plunge yourself and familiarize yourself w/maintaining the machine.  It does require regular filter rinsing.
Rugbusters

Reply #42   Oct 20, 2012 3:12 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I would support this site if others supported me; not cut me down with any opinion I choose to offer. This site for example doesn't offer any incentives for the review sections; a big black mark against other sites who do. Dont worry though, my global review of this site and yourself will shortly be available to be read.

I don't normally post here, however I've been in the vac sales/service industry all my life and have been keeping up with this and other vacuum forums for several years so as to keep my finger on the pulse as to what's going on out there.

Apologies in advance to the moderator for making this my first post, and I would like to sincerely state that it is not my wish to stir up any trouble.

That said, Vacmanuk, you really do need to get over yourself. Who cares if you have the "power" to review this site and its mods? It seems to me you have delusions of grandeur, and like to make yourself out to be someone and something you are not. To be perfectly frank, I think you have a little too much time on your hands, and need to find something more constructive to fill your time with. Writing hundreds of excessively long, rambling reviews and splashing them all over the net does NOT make you an expert, it just means you like to hear yourself talk. I'm surprised you are able to even buy toilet paper without immediately logging in to tell the world, chapter and verse, why it's so great. Of course you may earn plenty of kudos on sites such as Dooyoo, but such places are full of ill-informed people with verbal diarrhoea so it's no surprise you'd fit right in there.

The other problem is your writing style. I don't know whether or not this is intentional, but it often carries a rather condescending, finger-wagging tone that raises people's hackles. That and your eagerness to put people in their place and correct them. As mentioned before, I keep up with several vacuum websites in order to follow what's happening in the industry, and every time you pop up somewhere it's the same old story. Within a short space of time you start talking down to others, threatening to report them to the mod/webmaster if their posts don't meet with your approval, and generally behaving like a pain in the neck. Perhaps that's why some people choose to lurk rather than post, which is more the pity because forums like this thrive on active participation.

Maybe you need to think about what you write, how it's phrased and how it comes across to other people BEFORE hitting the post button.

Once again, apologies to MikeW and everyone else who is reading this.
This message was modified Oct 20, 2012 by Rugbusters
vacmanuk

Reply #43   Oct 22, 2012 3:02 pm
How nice of you not to share your real name and interesting that you're a new member who has only just joined and posted the same day. Certainly if I knew who you were, I could say the same thing about you. One would assume that if you worked in the industry, one forum would be sufficient. I don't work in the vacuum cleaner industry, I wish I did. Perhaps I'd spend less time discussing with members and sharing info on the net and just believe what the brands want me to believe. My reviews reflect what I've bought, owned, done up, collected, sold on and in some cases kept for myself to use as my hobby. The review content is my own opinion and people have the right to disagree or agree. Sometimes that seems to be forgotten for those who don't realise what a review site is.

Frankly, if that's what you think of me, plenty of people would disagree - but we're all entitled to our opinion which seems to be an issue that, of late, seems to be suppressed on Abbysguide. Only last year this forum had many great members sharing their info and advice, and some of them (Carmine, for example) was a great member I had a lot of discussions with - its a pity they were thrown off as well as others.

Now there are very few on here who take the time to visit this forum. Clearly, its no wonder if opinions and differing opinions aren't allowed to be voiced. By all means, share your expertise and industry led experience with others - if you can find them on here. Have fun.
This message was modified Oct 22, 2012 by vacmanuk
Rugbusters

Reply #44   Oct 22, 2012 8:38 pm
My real name is in my profile - Steve Parry if you want it in full. What's yours? Last time I checked, RS isn't a proper name, and tells nobody anything about you. The date I joined up and began posting is irrelevant IMHO, suffice to say I've been reading and following here way longer than you've been posting. Several years before it was even called AbbysGuide in fact, not that it makes much of a difference either way.

Yes I do indeed work in the industry, and have done so all my life. Domestic/commercial cleaning equipment sales and service to be exact, so I have my finger in plenty of pies. Personally I find it interesting to seek out numerous sources of information, as it gives a more rounded view of what's actually going on in the vac business elsewhere in the country and around the world. So I'm really not sure why you would say I should find just the one forum sufficient, and to suggest as much is rather presumptuous on your part. How, pray tell, did you come to such a decision? Is there any particular website you would be so kind as to recommend, and give me your blessing to use perhaps?

I can well imagine that you *wished* you worked in the vac industry, but "doing up" vacs here and there does not make one an expert. It makes one a hobbyist, albeit one that sometimes gives out one-sided information here and elsewhere. I know exactly what a review site is, and the general impression is that certain people use them to promote their pet brands, while slamming products that are no longer flavour of the month. Therefore, I would indeed hope that people have the right to agree or disagree with much of what is written, because an awful lot of it is biased or inaccurate at best, and flat-out wrong at worst.

Regarding previous members, I know of who you speak and most of them were very knowledgeable and articulate. But, you know, people move on all the time. Sometimes it's because they get bored, other times they get bounced out, but either way it's a result of the choices they make for themselves. That, and the sheer audacity of your original statement with regard to having the "power" to review this site, is why I'm sure the moderator is absolutely mortified (not) by your threat of telling the world what a big bad meanie he is. Absolutely unbelievable...
This message was modified Oct 22, 2012 by Rugbusters
vacmanuk

Reply #45   Oct 22, 2012 10:31 pm
The issue of writing an independent review is to offer an independent opinion, in the same way that this forum is supposed to act. I don't feel that I have been treated this way - and certainly if the moderator wished to message me about my behaviour or language choice, I'm sure Mike could have done it by now.

Lets not get sidetracked here. You may well feel what you feel by my posts, and granted I could just say that you're not an expert with your many fingers in many pies. I couldn't care less what you've done and what kinds of experience you have because put simply, I've never read about it. You've never made yourself indictive enough to share any experience until now where you feel obliged to act upon Abbysguide's defence on the threat of a review or wish to tell me I'm speaking out of turn. Why should you feel threatened? What happened to free voice. Certainly if someone told me I was being condescending, I'd have changed my style straight away!

Also to quote this site's actual words, ""…We hope to create a people helping people atmosphere at Abby's Guide so we encourage you to come back after you have made your purchase and help someone else by posting a review or contributing to a product forum. Feel free to jump right in and start learning!" One can surmmize then that the forum is a natural extension of "contributing."

As to who I am, well it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. I'm not here to convince people or to sell an idea, I'm here to share information and to learn from others. I also like debates and I also like independent members to also share their thoughts and info. That is after all, what this forum is supposed to be about, isn't it? I haven't got it wrong since 2009, have I? This isn't Fixya where everyone runs to Mike if they have a vacuum cleaner query??

Further more since you feel the desire to point out my personal style, remember this - a seller or a industry worker will always have a different view point to the buyer - in the same vein that everyone has the right to offer a different opinion - and I really don't care how many posts you've seen me write or how many reviews you've read that are mine - my experience is MINE based on what I've bought. You of course have the enjoyment of such machines, probable at lesser cost than me, the buyer who has shelled out more for them. I don't just do up machines, I've worked as a merchant buyer in floorcare appliances and in large franchise corporations, Ive been a market researcher in kitchen appliances - I've done a lot of retail but I don't feel the need to tell the whole world about it - it doesn't justify me or justify who I am.

Also if you feel that Dooyoo and other sites are worthless, why does the U.S & U.K pay so much for consumer opinions? Whether you like it or not, individuals opinions about machines, lifestyle articles and consumer products appear to have some weight for companies not just in the U.S, but also the U.K where product reviews never appeared before at high street franchises such as Argos, Comet, Currys, John Lewis et al. Whether you agree or disagree, these franchises have cashed in on review sites' concept of individual buyer opinion and Abbysguide with its "come and write a review," section clearly paints the same picture.
This message was modified Oct 22, 2012 by vacmanuk
Rugbusters

Reply #46   Oct 23, 2012 12:21 am
Reviews and the like are fine when they come from someone who knows what they are talking about. This is, and has been, my whole point all along. Inaccuracies and glaring errors, however, are not acceptable - especially when you later attempt to position yourself as the go-to vacuum expert, or some sort of consumers' champion. Obvious bias is a very, very bad sign too. For example, complaining how it was SO unfair that Miele would not honour the guarantee on a vacuum that had been damaged by picking up wet dirt, yet claiming a broken Sebo drive belt was "totally" your own fault (despite being electronically protected and therefore supposedly break proof).

Nothing to do with Miele not being flavour of the month any more, because too many ordinary people are buying them now and they've lost their snob appeal? Hmmm, thought so.

And to then suggest that you are in a position to give this site a bad review, and the mods ought to be worrying about it? Because yes, that is exactly what you were implying by your thinly veiled threat. The hypocrisy burns! The only thing your reviews are any good for is demonstrating why you absolutely should not put too much faith in anything you read on the internet.

The rest I can't even be bothered to respond to, because it makes little sense and you're starting to waffle again like you usually do when lost for words. Maybe think it over and rephrase it a little, and we'll see where we can go from there.

P.S. Nice subtle dig at my "fingers in pies" statement by the way, but I'm afraid that's a bit of an own goal on your part. You see, we've diversified through being good at what we do, and have been running for nigh on forty years, doing the same job in the same location and with a growing customer base. Now, let's compare. You claim to have been a merchant buyer, a market researcher (i.e., someone holding a clipboard), and done lots of retail. Is this in addition to being an on-again-off-again teacher, and doing part time cleaning jobs to make ends meet? Yes, obviously very successful. Great track record. Don't call us, we'll call you.
This message was modified Oct 23, 2012 by Rugbusters
vacmanuk

Reply #47   Oct 23, 2012 7:30 am
Rugbusters wrote:
Reviews and the like are fine when they come from someone who knows what they are talking about. This is, and has been, my whole point all along. Inaccuracies and glaring errors, however, are not acceptable - especially when you later attempt to position yourself as the go-to vacuum expert, or some sort of consumers' champion. Obvious bias is a very, very bad sign too. For example, complaining how it was SO unfair that Miele would not honour the guarantee on a vacuum that had been damaged by picking up wet dirt, yet claiming a broken Sebo drive belt was "totally" your own fault (despite being electronically protected and therefore supposedly break proof).

Nothing to do with Miele not being flavour of the month any more, because too many ordinary people are buying them now and they've lost their snob appeal? Hmmm, thought so.

And to then suggest that you are in a position to give this site a bad review, and the mods ought to be worrying about it? Because yes, that is exactly what you were implying by your thinly veiled threat. The hypocrisy burns! The only thing your reviews are any good for is demonstrating why you absolutely should not put too much faith in anything you read on the internet.

The rest I can't even be bothered to respond to, because it makes little sense and you're starting to waffle again like you usually do when lost for words. Maybe think it over and rephrase it a little, and we'll see where we can go from there.

P.S. Nice subtle dig at my "fingers in pies" statement by the way, but I'm afraid that's a bit of an own goal on your part. You see, we've diversified through being good at what we do, and have been running for nigh on forty years, doing the same job in the same location and with a growing customer base. Now, let's compare. You claim to have been a merchant buyer, a market researcher (i.e., someone holding a clipboard), and done lots of retail. Is this in addition to being an on-again-off-again teacher, and doing part time cleaning jobs to make ends meet? Yes, obviously very successful. Great track record. Don't call us, we'll call you.

Oh WHATEVER Steve, if that is your real name (or could it be Jamie, or JM the one that is banned from most forums on the internet?).  I dont see any of the posts and opinions you've cared to share, so really i can't quote you because you're too weak and false to provide any real time evidence to back up what you claim to be. I chose to do teaching because it was new and something different; info which I see you seem to take fun in sharing from my about me on Dooyoo.

Again, my experience is mine and I have the right to voice any opinion I wish to share. You don't seem to recognise that. You'll fit in well here, then!

You can look at other comments and reviews that show both Sebo and Miele in poor light as well as the good. You may well have a 40 year old history in your business, but I sincerely hope that your buyers are looking elsewhere like the internet for a far better deal and far better respect. End of the day if you can't take it, don't dish it.
mole

Reply #48   Oct 23, 2012 9:40 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Oh WHATEVER Steve, if that is your real name (or could it be Jamie, or JM the one that is banned from most forums on the internet?).  I dont see any of the posts and opinions you've cared to share, so really i can't quote you because you're too weak and false to provide any real time evidence to back up what you claim to be. I chose to do teaching because it was new and something different; info which I see you seem to take fun in sharing from my about me on Dooyoo.

Again, my experience is mine and I have the right to voice any opinion I wish to share. You don't seem to recognise that. You'll fit in well here, then!

So what kind of cleaner did the customer purchase?

Did they make the right choice?

Did you make any money on it?

Did you set them strait about  C.F.M  waterlift  airwatts, static suction  sealed suction. And other nonsense that no one cares about?

Tell Dyson  I'm still l ooking for my bonus............

regards

MOLE

Rugbusters

Reply #49   Oct 23, 2012 11:36 am
Yes, that is my real name thank you very much, so never mind "whatever". This is not high school. Whoever Jamie is, it's not me, and by throwing around such accusations you're only serving to make yourself look even more ridiculous. Don't forget we still don't know what your name is "RS", because you haven't shared it, and people in glass houses really shouldn't be throwing stones. All we can see relating to you is a list of vacuums you've kept to use as toys. And too right I'm not giving you information about my company, it isn't a condition of membership here and the last thing I want is time wasters like you dropping by. The benefit of being independent is that we can choose our customers if need be.

What makes you think I don't contribute or share to industry web forums? Perhaps not the ones you go to, but there are plenty where membership is restricted to those in the floorcare and cleaning trades, and you have to provide credentials in order to be granted access. Unfortunately, being a vac collector doesn't count, so you probably weren't aware of this fact. Any other forums (the ones you always seem to spend so much time on) are read-only to me.

Again, you know nothing at all about my business, so to comment on what my customers should or should not be doing is nonsensical on your part. They get a good deal and they also get plenty of respect, thanks for asking. Something you clearly have no concept of, having never been in business yourself, or even sticking at a particular job for long by the sounds of things. I've said it once and I'll say it again; merely playing at something does not mean you know what you're talking about. Share your opinion all you like, I'm not stopping you. But come back to me when you've actually built up a career and a reputation in your field, and maybe you'll be taken more seriously.

Quite why you're directing me to read more of your reviews is a mystery, because I'd much rather seek information from more accurate sources with less bias and irrelevant waffling. Perhaps you shouldn't preach to me about dishing it out, because I can do that all day long, and thus far it seems you're the one who can't take it. Too used to blind adulation from fellow reviewers, you get backed into a corner when it's revealed the extent of your expertise just happens to be liking vacuum cleaners a lot, and possibly a few short term jobs loosely associated with the home appliance trade at best. Wow.

Anyway, must dash - I've got work to finish off, and you've probably got more spammy reviews to write from your parents' computer. Have fun.
mole

Reply #50   Oct 27, 2012 9:23 am
Rugbusters wrote:
Yes, that is my real name thank you very much, so never mind "whatever". This is not high school. Whoever Jamie is, it's not me, and by throwing around such accusations you're only serving to make yourself look even more ridiculous. Don't forget we still don't know what your name is "RS", because you haven't shared it, and people in glass houses really shouldn't be throwing stones. All we can see relating to you is a list of vacuums you've kept to use as toys. And too right I'm not giving you information about my company, it isn't a condition of membership here and the last thing I want is time wasters like you dropping by. The benefit of being independent is that we can choose our customers if need be.

What makes you think I don't contribute or share to industry web forums? Perhaps not the ones you go to, but there are plenty where membership is restricted to those in the floorcare and cleaning trades, and you have to provide credentials in order to be granted access. Unfortunately, being a vac collector doesn't count, so you probably weren't aware of this fact. Any other forums (the ones you always seem to spend so much time on) are read-only to me.

Again, you know nothing at all about my business, so to comment on what my customers should or should not be doing is nonsensical on your part. They get a good deal and they also get plenty of respect, thanks for asking. Something you clearly have no concept of, having never been in business yourself, or even sticking at a particular job for long by the sounds of things. I've said it once and I'll say it again; merely playing at something does not mean you know what you're talking about. Share your opinion all you like, I'm not stopping you. But come back to me when you've actually built up a career and a reputation in your field, and maybe you'll be taken more seriously.

Quite why you're directing me to read more of your reviews is a mystery, because I'd much rather seek information from more accurate sources with less bias and irrelevant waffling. Perhaps you shouldn't preach to me about dishing it out, because I can do that all day long, and thus far it seems you're the one who can't take it. Too used to blind adulation from fellow reviewers, you get backed into a corner when it's revealed the extent of your expertise just happens to be liking vacuum cleaners a lot, and possibly a few short term jobs loosely associated with the home appliance trade at best. Wow.

Anyway, must dash - I've got work to finish off, and you've probably got more spammy reviews to write from your parents' computer. Have fun.

BAZINGA...............
hooverman

Reply #51   Jul 12, 2013 7:38 pm
VacmanUK & Rugbusters

U need to quit being such so mean & help out that individual

This message was modified Jul 15, 2013 by hooverman
QueenVac

Reply #52   Jul 19, 2013 5:35 pm
It sounds like you could use a good canister vacuum. Our favorites are the Miele canisters.   Miele canisters are light weight, user friendly, and suited for all types of flooring.
This message was modified Jul 20, 2013 by a moderator
mole

Reply #53   Jul 31, 2013 9:13 am
Go get a SHARK rotator its the bestest vacuumz in the world .The  bald fat guy on T,V, said so.It comes at  4 easy payments of 29.99. And you get free shippin and a steam mop.

It picks up 16 pool $#%* plus the rack and cue chalk.

And if you dont love your shark rotator just keep it and we will  give you your money back.Yes you keep the vacuum [because its only worth $18.00]

regards

MOLE

Vacuum_Man

Reply #54   Aug 12, 2013 11:28 am
Hi Everyone

I have had a read through this thread and in between the arguing and people waging war on each other, there is some good info. I found it useful to think about what it was I wanted and needed my vacuum for and then looked at a comparison chart to see which ticked the most of my boxes.

Does anyone in this forum own a Panasonic Vacuum? I have heard mixed things about them but a couple have a decent amp motor so am considering a trial with one.

Take care

This message was modified Aug 12, 2013 by a moderator
Katherine77

Reply #55   Sep 10, 2013 11:48 am
Most of the dysons I've used have worked wonders but if you are looking for something not as pricey I also found the Bissell clean view onepass does great work as well. I purchased one for a younger friend of mine who just go her own apartment. She loves it for her apartment.
TheodoreRivera

Reply #56   Jun 27, 2014 7:34 am
YOu have to buy multi purpose vacuum cleaner it can fulfill all your need some good sugetions are: # Frontgate - Multi-purpose Home Vacuum Cleaner. # Miele S5980 Capricorn Canister Vacuum Cleaner w/ Full-Size AdjustablePowerbrush. # Sebo K3 Air Belt Canister Vacuum Cleaner. # Rainbow E Series Canister Vacuum Cleaner Wet / Dry. # Dyson DC25 Animal Ball-Technology Upright Vacuum Cleaner. # Eureka 3670G Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum. # Shark Navigator Professional hardwood floor vacuum cleaners.
CountVacula

Reply #57   Dec 26, 2014 2:34 am
If you just have to spend a lot of money on a high end luxury vacuum I would give Miele and Sebo a pass and consider one of the two legacy Aerus Lux canister vacuums. Neither the Miele or Sebo canisters have what I would consider to be acceptable attachments or bag capacity. The attachments are particularly galling to me, ridiculously small, for something with a premium price. To me they are useless. And while Lux machines are similarly cursed with a small dust bag, at least their attachments and Sidekick II are outstanding, far better than anything coming out of Europe today. The Sidekick is not a turbo brush but is electrically drive and superior to any turbo brush. The Lux floor brush is a bit complicated mechanically (more work to replace a worn belt or brush roll) and has no height adjustment, but does a great job on all kinds of carpets. It doesn't slow down on deep carpets and doesn't rev to the moon if you pick it up while running to move from wall to wall carpet to a throw rug in a room. The Guardian motor is robust, durable and when it does wear out they are economically rebuilt (my local vac shop just charged me $35 to rebuild one). Parts availability is excellent and Lux seems to put a lot of effort into supporting their older models. Not too many manufacturers do that today. If you are not a brand snob, take a look at what Panasonic sells. They are invisible in most vacuum discussion because they don't advertise and they sell primarily through mom and pop vacuum shops. They are very light weight, have ultra powerful motors and use utterly conventional full sized attachments, button lock wands and the industry standard floor brush. Their dust bag has more than twice the capacity of a Miele dust bag and their filtration might be better. At least their pre-motor filters are thicker and have a larger surface area than Mieles, and both have similar pleated exhaust filters. You can use the excellent Kenmore Q cloth HEPA bag available six to a bag for $20 at any Sears. Compare that to the price Miele nicks you for a bag and consider also the Q bag takes twice as long to fill. The MC-CG902 is a no frills basic old school canister vacuum, identically a 1990s Kenmore Progressive with four full sized attachments but Panasonic has put a very modern inducer motor in it. It gives nothing up to any Miele or Lux in terms of cleaning power, has much more usable attachments and are usually bought for under $250 if you shop wisely. Even the top of the line Panasonic MC-CG937 with variable motor speed control (on the hose handle) and an expander cage in the bag chamber only fetches around $350 retail. With the money you save you can go out and buy a nice telescopic wand and a rubber wheeled horse hair hard floor brush for it and use the rest of the money on other more important things. Mahalo
Just

Reply #58   Jan 20, 2016 2:43 pm
I had a reply, but then looked at how old the original poster was and deleted.
This message was modified Jan 20, 2016 by Just
Musere

Reply #59   Feb 19, 2016 5:07 am
It is very difficult to get white floors cleaned especially the corners. Products likethe beam vacuum have really helped to solve my problem and I would suggest everyone to try the same. It's also efficient in purposes like:pet hair -carpet -wood floor -tile floor and is also light in weight.
homefeed

Reply #60   Mar 21, 2016 9:25 am
After reading your purposes, I think you cam take Dyson animal upright vacuum, which will be good for pet hair, carpet, hardwood floor and light-weight as well. You also can check Hoover Air cordless vacuum for your multi purpose cleaning.
aksrivastava

Innovation is the Key To Success

Reply #61   Mar 11, 2017 12:51 am
Kent offer 2 vacuum cleaner for home and office cleaning - Kent Bed & Upholstery Vacuum Cleaner and Kent Cyclonic Vacuum Cleaner
This message was modified Mar 11, 2017 by aksrivastava

Anoop Srivastava
Home Appliance Expert
aksrivastava

Innovation is the Key To Success

Reply #62   Mar 11, 2017 1:02 am
I suggest to buy Kent Cyclonic Vacuum Cleaner for use floor, tiles and pet hair. Due to HEAP filter and high suction power, it completely remove dust particles and make your indoor environment clean.
This message was modified May 14, 2019 by a moderator

Anoop Srivastava
Home Appliance Expert
CountVacula

Reply #63   Oct 24, 2019 11:41 am
Two problems. Number one there is no electric power nozzle. You aren't going to clean pet hair out of wall to wall carpet without a good electric power nozzle. A turbo brush doesn't have the power and would bog on some of the deep pile carpets typical of American homes. Number two, they aren't sold in the US. These are sold in India and are intended to us 220v/60Hz power. Kent cannot sell in North America because there is already a company by the name of Kent Moore many decades old that sells big commercial cleaning equipment, everything from commercial vacuums and grade carpet extractors to ride along washer / scrubber tractors for cleaning aircraft hangars.
This message was modified Oct 27, 2019 by CountVacula
amy7989

loving new things and cats :)

Reply #64   Dec 3, 2019 6:20 am
since you don't have budge limitation, just pick one. the more you're over-thinking, the more diffucult it would be to make a choice!

just me and my lovely cat
thomasdelange

Reply #65   Dec 10, 2019 8:05 am
I suggest you can go with some brand such as Dyson and Shark. These are very good. Price can be range from $200 - $500 per unit.
CountVacula

Reply #66   Dec 14, 2019 4:38 pm
Dyson (Die-soon) and Shark are the among the lowest quality least durable and most difficult to repair vacuums sold today. Horrible brittle plastics and no parts support. Plus being bagless their filters will degrade over time and give you constant problems. Stick to machines that use disposable cloth HEPA bags for the best long term durability and fewest problems.
Replies: 1 - 66 of 66View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42