Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Tristar adapter so you can use generic attachments

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
myname

Tristar adapter so you can use generic attachments
Original Message   Jul 11, 2012 1:49 pm
The Tristar is a great design but its proprietary attachment system forces the user to use Tristar accessories. I was wondering if anyone has heard of an adapter being available so you could use other attachments with it. All you need is an adapter from the Tristar pipe system to another one (could be about 3" long. Then you plug in your cheap hose, pipes, powerhead, attachments into it. Tristar powerheads often break and are horrendously expensive to both fix or replace (especially the latter as they are often worth more than the actual vacuum). The answer to these problems is an adapter so you don't have to be held hostage by Tristar sellers. I wonder what powerhead is plentiful on the used market and is fairly reliable. That's the fitting the adapter should work with.
Replies: 1 - 12 of 12View as Outline
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Re: Tristar adapter so you can use generic attachments
Reply #1   Jul 12, 2012 2:07 am
What you are asking for is not available at this time.  What would be needed is a connection for the attachment, plus an electrical connection for electrical attachment like the power nozzle you were mentioning.  The electrical connections, on the newer Tristars are different from most other electrified hoses and wand systems.

The newer Tristars do have an accessory adaptor, which can be used to fit other 1 1/4" fitting attachments.  Since Tristar is a part of Aerus, they use the same type of attachment configuration.  Notice the similarities in the power nozzle, wands and connection type.  Aerus also has an accessory adaptor.  These two adaptors will not accept an attachment w/an electrical connection.
This message was modified Jul 12, 2012 by Mike_W
myname

Reply #2   Jul 15, 2012 6:03 pm
The electrical connection is the least of my worries. Anybody can wrap a wire around a hose and attach the correct plug to each end. The hard part is adapting the Tristar pipe size going into the cannister to the attachment system you want to use.
myname

Reply #3   Jul 15, 2012 6:09 pm
The newer Tristars do have an accessory adaptor, which can be used to fit other 1 1/4" fitting attachments.  Since Tristar is a part of Aerus, they use the same type of attachment configuration.  Notice the similarities in the power nozzle, wands and connection type.  Aerus also has an accessory adaptor.  These two adaptors will not accept an attachment w/an electrical connection.

I went to the Aerus website but all I saw under surface for cannister types were Electrolux designs.
procare

Reply #4   Jul 15, 2012 9:08 pm
you can go to tristarvacuumcausa.com and look under tristar vacuum parts , punch the newer models and you will find diagrams of the tristar's parts and attachments. You can find the adapter that is talked about.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #5   Jul 16, 2012 3:15 am
myname wrote:

I went to the Aerus website but all I saw under surface for cannister types were Electrolux designs.

I said nothing that Aerus sells TRISTAR parts.  I said they use the same attachment configuration.  You have to find it.  There are a few canisters which use the same configuration.  The info was even mentioned, because it could help if you are not in an area that has a TRISTAR dealer/servicer.  You were the one complaining about TRISTAR's  proprietary attachments.  I also mentioned that TRISTAR also has "an accessory adaptor".
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #6   Jul 16, 2012 3:34 am
myname wrote:
The electrical connection is the least of my worries. Anybody can wrap a wire around a hose and attach the correct plug to each end. The hard part is adapting the Tristar pipe size going into the cannister to the attachment system you want to use.

You will not find a hose-to-vacuum connection for your vacuum cleaner.  It is possible w/the older designs, but not yours.  What you will have to do is cut off the vacuum end hose connection, from an old hose, and find a coupler or similar and connect it to a generic hose.  Then you will have to do some electrical connecting/soldering yourself.  Not for the average DIY.

You cannot purchase a vacuum end hose connection for the newer Tristars.  At least not Yet.

After reading the original post, I have to wonder if we are talking about the same vacuum cleaner, since you have  not mentioned the model number.  I was assuming you are referring to a model w/the attachments which fit in the hose and wands and not the attachments which fit over the hose and wands.  I figured you had one of the newer models, because you said "proprietary".
This message was modified Jul 16, 2012 by Mike_W
myname

Reply #7   Aug 21, 2012 8:16 pm
> I said nothing that Aerus sells TRISTAR parts. I said they use the same attachment configuration. If anyone knows where this is, please post the URL. > After reading the original post, I have to wonder if we are talking about the same vacuum cleaner, since you have not mentioned the model number. I have the silver Tristar, all metal. On this page it looks exactly like the 1986 model. http://www.tristarohio.com/history.jpg > What you will have to do is cut off the vacuum end hose connection, from an old hose, and find a coupler or similar and connect it to a generic hose. Then you will have to do some electrical connecting/soldering yourself. Not for the average DIY. As I said before the electrical connections are easy. Just wrap the wire around the hose. You'll need the proper ends though but you get that from an old hose where you "cut off the vacuum end hose connection" from as mentioned above by Mike W. I think you could get a coupler at a good hardware store. Perhaps one that specializes in plumbing supplies would offer a good selection.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #8   Aug 22, 2012 12:50 pm
Glad that you finally decided to reveal what you have.  You do not have the Tristar w/propriety attachments.  With all the difficulty in this thread, I was thinking you were talking about the newer Tristars.

The easiest thing to do is to purchase a generic electrified hose for your Tristar, because it will usually be available at half the cost of a genuine electrified hose.  Different parts of the hose can also be purchased separately, like the machine end hose connection.  You can do a search  on the internet and find the part(s) or take the present hose to your local vac shop. They can either rebuild one, sell you a generic hose or parts for the hose.
This message was modified Aug 22, 2012 by Mike_W
myname

Reply #9   Sep 27, 2012 2:38 pm
Yes, you're right. I should have mentioned I have the older, all metal design (cannister). Model CXL. http://www.vacuumcleanerfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/-115731207165308410.jpg As for buying the hose, that wasn't the problem. Its the powerhead that breaks first it seems. Tons of cannisters without powerheads available on the used market. And you almost never see a Tristar powerhead for sale by itself. So its pretty obvious which dies first. Once you get the adapter figured out you're free to not only use any hose you want but any powerhead as well. The smart thing would be to make an adapter to fit the most commonly sold powerhead that is of decent quality. If its from almost any other make, it will cost way less than Tristar dealers charge for their stuff. One adapter solves so many problems. Now you can buy up all those powerhead-less Tristars and make use of them.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #10   Oct 2, 2012 1:12 am
myname wrote:
Yes, you're right. I should have mentioned I have the older, all metal design (cannister). Model CXL. http://www.vacuumcleanerfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/-115731207165308410.jpg As for buying the hose, that wasn't the problem. Its the powerhead that breaks first it seems. Tons of cannisters without powerheads available on the used market. And you almost never see a Tristar powerhead for sale by itself. So its pretty obvious which dies first. Once you get the adapter figured out you're free to not only use any hose you want but any powerhead as well. The smart thing would be to make an adapter to fit the most commonly sold powerhead that is of decent quality. If its from almost any other make, it will cost way less than Tristar dealers charge for their stuff. One adapter solves so many problems. Now you can buy up all those powerhead-less Tristars and make use of them.

I do not think you have an understanding of the kind of vacuum cleaner you have.  This is not a "disposable" vacuum cleaner.  The Tristar is a cleaner which a person can own for many years.  Eventhough these are high quality machines, they will break down sometimes.  What is good about machines like the Tristar, Filter Queen, Kirby, etc. is that they can be repaired.  You can have use of this vacuum cleaner for many more years than say a Euro Pro or HOOVER cleaner.  Parts will be available for many more years, because they do not change parts often.  Sometimes, you may pay for it.  Try to think about it positively.  With these brands, you will also have generic/aftermarket parts.  Many are suitable for your vacuum cleaner.  Usually, many of your OEM parts are made by these same companies. 

I know the power nozzle you have.  It is a good power nozzle.  Parts are still available for it.  One part is not going to cost as much as a comparable new pn.  Many parts of the Tristar break.  It is not just the pn.  Hoses will break.  Cords and motors also malfunciton. 

There are other power nozzles, which can be used w/the Tristar, like the old style Express series originally on Eureka canister vacuum cleaners.
This message was modified Oct 2, 2012 by Mike_W
vacman2

Reply #11   Oct 9, 2012 4:24 pm
Correct as far as that goes one of the most durable power heads avail, motors 39 bucks, rollerbrush 34 bucks, never replace whole head
hooverman

Reply #12   Mar 18, 2013 3:33 pm
Hose parts are available for the EXL/MG/CS Series
Replies: 1 - 12 of 12View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42