Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
vacmanuk

LATEST VACS...
Original Message   Jan 21, 2010 5:52 pm
http://www.appliancist.com/vacuum_cleaners/electrolux-silence-amplified-musical-vacuum-cleaner-ipod-vacuum.html Electrolux have launched a cylinder vacuum cleaner with an Ipod Dock!! Frankly I like the noise of my vacuum. Perhaps this model has a loud motor?! Also: http://www.appliancist.com/vacuum_cleaners/ This model and quite a few "new" European models due to be launched in various parts of Europe soon such as the new "Ease" uprights from Electrolux, only betitled because they are bagless cyclonic uprights fitted with an auto rewinding cable. What will Electrolux think up next? We had auto cord rewinding uprights in the UK back in the 1970s!
Replies: 46 - 55 of 84Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: LATEST VACS...
Reply #46   Jan 21, 2012 3:32 pm
Also Hoover UK have at last brought out the Robo Com2 robotic vacuum cleaner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4UBTOqtUmQ

Venson

Reply #47   Jan 21, 2012 5:03 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
A newish model from Vorwerk, the Kobold 140. Obviously designed to compete with the simpler, older Sebo Felix.

Hi,

This URL shows a newer machine but a near approximate to what they started with in the U.S. I think as far back as the 1960's.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=zTKtQzmVKYo

Vorwerk never appeared to be taken as a serious candidate in the vacuum market here.  From what I've seen while looking around they have some sort of connection with the Lux International people and market in many places  in Asia.  To what success I do not know.  The model you've posted also has a head for polishing, etc., as does the Felix.

Venson

This message was modified Jan 21, 2012 by Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #48   Jan 21, 2012 5:17 pm
Lordy and I thought using the Sebo Felix as a canister was difficult!
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #49   Jan 22, 2012 6:13 am
Hi Vacmanuk Just wondered if you have used the 'newer' bags on the Felix? I'm still using the paper ones and wondered how much better if the 'newer' felix bags are? You you know if they will be replacing the paper ones on the X Series? Thanks DC18
vacmanuk

Reply #50   Jan 22, 2012 9:30 am
DC18 wrote:
Hi Vacmanuk Just wondered if you have used the 'newer' bags on the Felix? I'm still using the paper ones and wondered how much better if the 'newer' felix bags are? You you know if they will be replacing the paper ones on the X Series? Thanks DC18

Hi DC - Happy New Year!
Well funnily enough! I bought a new SEBO K1 at Christmas there to replace the K3 Premium. I just don't like the K3P at all - the short hose is a nuisance and the heavy electric head is also far too heavy. I can see the thrill of U.S buyers preferring powered canisters, having trialled that new Wertheim model that QVC/IdealTV were doing - because its electric floor head is lighter - but it's too noisy and the external cords fixed to the telescopic height adjuster pipes is also something I'm not keen on. Anyway, the seller from EBAY also sent me two lots of free dust bags too - and one of them being a pack of the wrong machine type - they turned out to be none other than the soft synthetic bags for the Felix! I know that SEBO have improved the Felix motor by making it quieter but just wish the air thrust from the exhaust filter could be lower- perhaps the new motor has alleviated this, I don't know. Sadly though DC, my old Felix is still using the paper dust bag when it was put in early November, so I won't be able to tell you how the white bag will be doing until it's probably fitted in March.

The new Felix dust bags however aren't as expensive as I thought they would be - there's a UK seller on EBAY who is pricing them just below £10 for 7 or 8? Again, it's cheaper than Miele's 4 in a box.

I think SEBO have trialled the same material for the X, but they haven't released any to sell yet. As far as I'm aware the synthetic is very expensive and I think SEBO would probably try to achieve a good price rather than something that's too expensive.

What I can report is that when I got the K1 out of the box, it came with 2 free dust bags - and those were synthetic types. Very happy with the one that's in it at the moment and it seems to keep back pet hair smells better than the paper ones. SEBO are now making both the synthetic types, standard for both the Felix and K.
This message was modified Jan 22, 2012 by vacmanuk
DC18

Reply #51   Jan 22, 2012 10:41 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Hi DC - Happy New Year!
Well funnily enough! I bought a new SEBO K1 at Christmas there to replace the K3 Premium. I just don't like the K3P at all - the short hose is a nuisance and the heavy electric head is also far too heavy. I can see the thrill of U.S buyers preferring powered canisters, having trialled that new Wertheim model that QVC/IdealTV were doing - because its electric floor head is lighter - but it's too noisy and the external cords fixed to the telescopic height adjuster pipes is also something I'm not keen on. Anyway, the seller from EBAY also sent me two lots of free dust bags too - and one of them being a pack of the wrong machine type - they turned out to be none other than the soft synthetic bags for the Felix! I know that SEBO have improved the Felix motor by making it quieter but just wish the air thrust from the exhaust filter could be lower- perhaps the new motor has alleviated this, I don't know. Sadly though DC, my old Felix is still using the paper dust bag when it was put in early November, so I won't be able to tell you how the white bag will be doing until it's probably fitted in March.

The new Felix dust bags however aren't as expensive as I thought they would be - there's a UK seller on EBAY who is pricing them just below £10 for 7 or 8? Again, it's cheaper than Miele's 4 in a box.

I think SEBO have trialled the same material for the X, but they haven't released any to sell yet. As far as I'm aware the synthetic is very expensive and I think SEBO would probably try to achieve a good price rather than something that's too expensive.

What I can report is that when I got the K1 out of the box, it came with 2 free dust bags - and those were synthetic types. Very happy with the one that's in it at the moment and it seems to keep back pet hair smells better than the paper ones. SEBO are now making both the synthetic types, standard for both the Felix and K.

Hi vacmanuk Happy New Year too. Thanks for the info, I've seen the Wertheim not a bad vacuum! I do like the look of SEBO K1 compact canister. Let me know how you get on with the synthetic bag when you come to fit one in your Felix. I've just put a new paper bag in my Felix after 4 months, wasn't quite full but I changed it, still have another 8 or 9 paper bags to go before i need to buy anymore! I also put one of them SEBO fresh capsules in the bag which emit a nice fresh smell! Interesting to know about the synthetic bag in your new K1 keeping pet smells back as I will be getting a puppy soon and was thinking of getting the pre-motor with charcoal filter for my Felix to help with this. Have to say the bags do last a while on the SEBO Vacs. It good to know that SEBO may have trialled these new synthetic bags with the X Series, thinking may upgrade to the X Series. Do you think the SEBO X Series is better than the Miele S7 series? I went to see the new Dyson Ball machines yesterday at my local Electrical Store, they look impressive but on the Uprights the brush bar still is not a patch on the SEBO's, and the DC41 has slightly longer bristles than the slightly smaller DC40! I must admit that having always been a Dyson Fan in the past, I do like there technologydesign but having tried and own a SEBO Felix this just grooms and cleans the carpets better, the machine is just quality. Just wish the felix had a light weight build in wand like the X Series!! Thanks again for the info. DC18
vacmanuk

Reply #52   Jan 22, 2012 9:12 pm
Well, I've already done a video about my Miele S6240 Ecoline and I'm about to do one on the Felix.

Hey - did you know John Lewis are now selling an X4 Excel? Same model, different colour (blue and silver):

Since you're the Dyson fan - can you confirm whether a Dyson upright could ever pick up coins and bolts through its floor head? I've never tried in fear of it breaking. I know that both the X and Felix can, and has done whenever I've cleaned homes with them.

The problem with the X series is that there is no manual switch off beater bar - that comes down to the Felix or the powered K3 Vulcano which has a longer hose than the Premium model. But when it comes to daily cleaning I use the X series above anything else - small clean ups either with the canister or the Felix. The Felix is more apt for a small flat or kitchen duty with its top hose and roller brush stop function. Plus, the tools are always ready to hand and the Felix gets around chair legs and slides under with no problems. The X series does have a problem with very thick carpeting. I have wool and thick wool looped carpeting and my X doesn't get confused - but a few owners of really thick carpeting (you could lose a pen or pencil in for example) have had problems with the X series.

Aside from that I just don't like the Miele S7 at all - it's too big, bulky and for all that it is blessed with variable suction control, the size of the machine put me off straight away. If you've got a mansion of home, the S7 will feel quite at home, however. I was given a demo model and only kept it for 6 months, selling it off the moment I could. I found it hard to vacuum up quickly despite its power - and having to manually step on the pedal to elevate the floor head on and off different height rugs really annoyed me no end - as you know with the X's the auto head adjustment does all that work for you, but you have to give it a couple of seconds each time to sense the floor nap.

Gaining access into the brush head is also a bit of a nuisance with the S7 - it doesn't have a brush roll release like the Sebo. I would strongly recommend getting the X1.1 which is just as good as the X4 but has lower power. In each case I haven't noticed much of a difference, really and a good bargain to be had with many owners getting rid of their X1.1's for the more modern looking X4.

Whereas the S7 is more modern, full of little modern features, has a wonderful hose and height adjustable tubes, it is bigger, bulkier and can be difficult to maintain. The dust bag door is also pretty thin on quality compared to Sebo's X which is simpler and ultimately, faster at pick up (I find anyway!).
DC18

Reply #53   Jan 23, 2012 4:03 pm
I think I saw that youtube video, look forward to seeing the Felix one! Yes I did meant to say, I saw it in a John Lewis Home Store just after Christmas, John Lewis said it replaces the X4 Blue and Yellow Model same model but as you say just different colour, and new name!! They where selling off the old stock of the Extra but was only £10 or so cheaper! I can say from the Dyson's I did own, I've vacuumed up coin and nails and it never effected them. Nothing broke at all, I done that with the DC04, DC07 and DC15. Even done this with the DC05. The DC04 it 'clattered' around a bit first. Thanks for your info and views on the SEBO X and Miele S7 much appreciated. I know what you mean about the S7 I tried on in John Lewis, big and heavy. Miele are offering 10 year warranty on all S7 purchased before 31st March 2012 via claim online! I wish the SEBO X would have variable suction control and brushbeater bar switch off. That would take it to a new level in terms of versatility Must admit the Felix is very flexible, and lies flat which Dyson Uprights don't (well the DC03 did!!) to get under furniture. Not everyone wants to get the hose and attachments out every time when just doing a general clean! The SEBO X does look easy to maintain (self maintenance) and cheaper to run and maintain compared to the Miele S7. Now you say the X1.1 looks a good choice as I now have the extension hose for my Felix which should fit the X. The X would be ok on my carpets. The only negative I tend to read about the X is using the hose for stairs or above floor cleaning the machine can tend to tip over, that doesn't put me off! There is some bargains sometimes on ebay for the X! I emailed SEBO last year to say I'm very impressed with their vacuums and think they are so underrated and need to be promoted more. I had a nice reply back from them. Whats your view on the filtration between the X and S7? Loads of reviews and opinions say the S7 has better filtration than the X. But I always thought the SEBO X (and all other SEBO's) had outstanding filtration, hospital standard!?
vacmanuk

Reply #54   Jan 24, 2012 12:55 am
Thanks for letting me know you saw the video. I'm useless when it comes to talking...I do writing so much better!

Well... the X series basic microfilter doesn't do well with pet hair -the Charcoal filter is so much better and keeps back the odour.

A few years ago I picked up what I thought was suspicious just from the cheap price of a badly abused Sebo X4 from Gumtree in Edinburgh. The seller was a bit alarmed when I innocently asked if I could switch it on at first and when I did, by golly the smell of dog that came out of it was appalling. I eventually haggled and got the price down from £70 to £40 because of the smell. The owner had had the Sebo for at least 4 years and it had barely been cleaned internally. It took me about a week to clean out the X internally and the hose had to be replaced as the old one just stank too much and I suspect at some point, excrement had been picked up that had been wedged into the coils of the hose.

For a year the X4 had to have a Charcoal filter fitted - even after my expert cleaning and taking apart everything, the X4 still had an aura of dog emanating through it. Now, 2 years on since purchase and with a microfilter fitted, the X4 no longer smells of dog, but fresh clean expelled air comes into the room after vacuuming. I think the machine just needed a year with a Charcoal fitted and a new hose to get a nice smell from it - and SEBO hoses are hardly expensive if you consider Ebay! Compared to the S7 where you have the option to upgrade the simpler Super Air Clean to Active AIr Clean or HEPA (and I'll point out that the AAC filter is made for pets and smokers and does well enough without having to buy the more expensive HEPA) the free Super Air clean copes until three or four of the dust bags are used and then a dank smell comes out of the machine. If you are a pet owner, the charcoal filters on both the S7 and X are crucial.

The S7 is a fantastic vacuum - if you have all day to clean and a slow life - but as I said previously, it is bulky (and you've found that out yourself) and some of the parts and design are questionable for what you've shelled out for. Now for stair cleaning with the X series, if there's a main step where the X can sit against, it can use that step as a stabiliser whilst you stretch the extension hose and put the hard end into the straight X wand. The beauty of the hose is that you can actually let the extension drop around the base of the X and curve it around - this seems to give a bottom weight to the hose in use and prevents the Sebo from falling over as much. You're only losing a couple of inches of stretch but the extension hose will pull out quite well - I find anyway and I have a 10 year old extension hose!

Where warranties are concerned, I will warn you now that Miele UK don't always stand by their guarantee and the S7 had initial quality problems when it first landed in the UK. Also we never had a guarantee with our old X1 Automatic Grey and black model that went for 15 years of utterly reliable service until I had to replace one other drive belt that was utterly my fault when the original one broke (another model worth looking out but only struggles if you fit a pet hair turbo brush on the end of the hose as the motor lacks the stepped gearbox that the more modern X1.1 and X4/X5 has that won't shut off automatically - also avoid the white X1 Automatic as it only has 850 watts and can struggle towards the end of the bag with poor suction.)

Whatever current X model you choose, it is simpler and faster to use, even if you have to give it a couple of seconds for it to adjust to the floor. If you don't, it won't pick up the first time when moving forward, but thereafter as it senses and adjusts automatically, it will pick up. Compared to the Felix, I prefer using the X for above the floor cleaning and carpet care - the Felix is a great kitchen/small flat vac that I've always kept by. Sorry this answer is so elaborate but I feel it's important given the prices of the S7 and X.

Personally though, if you're happy with your Felix, why would you want to change to an X?? I will admit that when I bought the Felix, I also bought a spare plastic handled wand from an Ebay seller. I figured that it would be more practical to keep both the extension hose and the spare wand - and I was proved right. Although SEBO produce a straight plastic tube which in theory gives the Felix extended reach, the X wand with a handle is so much more comfortable as well as pretty ideal for inserting excess hose into and then using the wand to point and suck up dust.
This message was modified Jan 24, 2012 by vacmanuk
DC18

Reply #55   Jan 24, 2012 6:08 pm
Your welcome, sometimes talking is not always necessary the video was fine. Thanks for the tip regarding the micro filter and pet hair, might upgrade my Felix with the Charcoal Filter as I'm, getting a puppy soon! That was a very good bargain you got on that X4, good for you. Your hard work paid off then clean 'smelling' X4 in good working order. It amazes me now how some people treat vacuum cleaners even today and the state they can get in and what they use them to pickup, and they still expect them to work 100% without any TLC! Glad you rescued that X4! Its good that the Charcoal filter removed the animal smells so you could fit the standard micro filter again. I like the idea you can upgrade and or down grade (if you can call it that!) the filters on the SEBO & Miele vacuums I like that idea, you can not do that on a Dyson (although most of the newer models come with HEPA filters as standard). Yes I did find the S7 big, heavy and bulky but sort of light to use. I agree some of the parts like the bag compartment door is flimsy compared to the SEBO X one. Thats a very good tip on stair cleaning with the X thanks for that tip. Must remember that if I get one! Thanks for the heads up regarding Miele warranty good to get another opinion for someone else. Thats what I like about the SEBO they seen to last and are built to with out any problems, or minimal. Thats good to know about the X1, thought that had a 1000 watt motor! Yes I agree the X is a simpler easy to use and quick, I thought that when I tested one in John Lewis. I noticed that when I was testing the X with the automatic height adjuster. I do love my Felix but I miss not having a full size vacuum so to speak that has a flexible hose connected to a wand to do quick above floor cleaning thats where the X appeals to me. I have thought about buying a straight wand for the Felix now I have the extension hose but its the fact i would have to get that attachment out to use it where as the X wand and hose are there to hand!
Replies: 46 - 55 of 84Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42